All About Fasting

Fasting, Gluten, MSG, Soy, Blood Type Diet

Aurora said:
This morning my son made fruit juice, a blend of black grapes, green apples, carrots and some oranges. (Bythe way I did not have anything else for breakfast)
I do the same here every day but i hesitate to drink orange juice as i don't know what producers in Spain (we get ours from there) put inside when they grow oranges, and what 'preservatives' are added during transport and preservation. So i add selery which i grow myself instead of oranges. That's makes my breakfast. And little son likes a morning glass of made-on-spot juice with bee pollen to chew!

Laura said:
One day is one step in the right direction!

Eliminating gluten is not so easy as just eliminating bread. Do some research on the net to find out where else gluten hides in food.

I think that if you just work on this one issue, you may find a lot of improvement in many ways. But, as I noted, you will have to find a substitute.
on day one of no gluten here in sunny Vietnam we have a national holiday so I enjoyed doing some inspired cooking. For breakfast we had banana, mango and honey pancakes made with gluten-free flour. lentil and vegetable soup for lunch and lamb stew for dinner. Requires effort but well worth it.
found some resources here:
http://www.glutenfreekitchen.org/
http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Gluten-free_diet?open

Foods to avoid
A person with coeliac disease should avoid any foods that contain gluten. It is important to read the labels of all packaged or prepared foods. Some foods that may contain gluten include:

* Meat products - any products prepared with breadcrumbs or batter, most sausages and other processed meats (including smallgoods), thickened soups, meat pies and frozen meals.
* Dairy products - malted milk, some flavoured milks, cheese spreads, icecream in a cone, many custards and many soymilks.
* Fruits and vegetables - canned and sauced vegetables, textured vegetable protein (found in some vegetarian products) and fruit-pie filling.
* Cereal and baking products - wheat, wheaten or unspecified corn flour, semolina, couscous, wheat bran, barley, oats, porridge, breakfast cereals containing wheat, rye, oats or barley, corn or rice cereals containing malt extract, icing sugar mixtures and baking powder.
* Pasta and noodles - spaghetti, pasta, lasagne, gnocchi, hokkein noodles, soba noodles and two-minute noodles.
* Bread, cakes and biscuits - all bread, cakes and biscuits prepared with flours that contain gluten. This also includes communion hosts.
* Condiments - malt vinegar, many mustards, relishes, pickles, salad dressings, sauces, gravy and yeast extracts.
* Snacks - liquorice, some lollies and chocolates, packet savoury snacks, and some flavoured potato and corn chips.
* Drinks - cereal coffee substitutes, milk drink powders, beer, stout, ale, guinness and lager.

Naturally gluten free foods
Despite the restrictions, a person with coeliac disease can still enjoy a wide and varied diet if they take an open-minded approach. Corn (maize), rice, soy, potato, buckwheat, millet, quinoa, lentils and amaranth are all gluten free. It is important to read the labels of all packaged or prepared foods. Some gluten free foods that people with coeliac disease can enjoy include:

* Meat products - plain meat, fish, chicken, bacon, ham off the bone and meats that are frozen or canned but with no sauce.
* Dairy products - eggs, full cream milk, low fat milk, evaporated milk, condensed milk, fresh cream, processed or block cheese and some soymilks.
* Fruits and vegetables - fresh, canned or frozen but not sauced; fruit juices, nuts and peanut butter.
* Cereal and baking products - corn (maize) flour, soya flour, lentil flour, rice (all types), rice flour, rice bran, potato flour, buckwheat, millet, amaranth, breakfast cereals made from corn and rice without malt extract, polenta and psyllium.
* Bread, cakes and biscuits - most rice crackers, corn cakes, rice crispbreads, corn tortillas and corn taco shells.
* Pasta and noodles - gluten free pasta, rice noodles, bean vermicelli and 100% buckwheat noodles.
* Condiments - tomato paste, tahini, jam, honey, maple syrup, cocoa, all kinds of vinegars (except malt), some sauces and some salad dressings.
* Snacks - plain chips and corn chips, popcorn and plain chocolate.
* Drinks - tea, coffee, mineral water, wine, sports drinks, spirits and liqueurs (check these for gluten-containing ingredients first).

Aurora said:
This morning my son made fruit juice, a blend of black grapes, green apples, carrots and some oranges. (By the way I did not have anything else for breakfast)
I have done a juice fast that is called a 7/7 cleanse. The first 7 days I drink only fresh fruit and vegetable juices. I add to the routine, bentonite, ground flax seeds, lemon juice, water, and molasses in the morning and evening. The next 7 days consist of juices throughout the day then adding something "light" for dinner such as a salad, steamed veggies, and sweet potato. I was diagnosed with Graves disease about 8 years ago, but thankfully, instead of opting to "burn out my thyroid", I did two of these cleanses and went into and have remained in complete remission from it.

I haven't thought about gluten in my diet before. Since reading this thread I tried a rice instead of a wheat cereal for breakfast for a week. Also corn tortillas instead of bread. I do feel alot fresher, more energy.
A gluten free diet for someone who doesn't like to cook (or doesn't want to commit time)? I guess it's rice cakes and distilled water for me. :D

Thomas Alan said:
I haven't thought about gluten in my diet before. Since reading this thread I tried a rice instead of a wheat cereal for breakfast for a week. Also corn tortillas instead of bread. I do feel alot fresher, more energy.
A gluten free diet for someone who doesn't like to cook (or doesn't want to commit time)? I guess it's rice cakes and distilled water for me. :D
Tell me about it. I don't cook either. Never had the slightest interest in doing it, but I LOVE to eat!! I get up at 6 AM and definitely don't have time nor feel like making breakfast, so I take a brown rice cake and organic almond/peanut butter to work. I can't think of anything else to have for lunch that isn't a sandwich except soap or a salad. The dinner is usually either baked chicken or fish.

I'm totally bored with that, but by the time I get home from work, I don't want to do anything that remotely resembles chopping, dicing, slicing, or frying. We don't even own a food processor or a mixer!

*sigh* I wish somebody would open up a healthy, glueten free, take-out eatery like, right down the street from me...

Shar said:
Tell me about it. I don't cook either. Never had the slightest interest in doing it, but I LOVE to eat!! I get up at 6 AM and definitely don't have time nor feel like making breakfast, so I take a brown rice cake and organic almond/peanut butter to work. I can't think of anything else to have for lunch that isn't a sandwich except soap or a salad. The dinner is usually either baked chicken or fish.

I'm totally bored with that, but by the time I get home from work, I don't want to do anything that remotely resembles chopping, dicing, slicing, or frying. We don't even own a food processor or a mixer!

*sigh* I wish somebody would open up a healthy, glueten free, take-out eatery like, right down the street from me...
The super market has become a vast wasteland for me. I pick up a can of chicken soup. That should be ok. Let's see chicken, water vegatbles. Ok so far. Then down the list "monosodium glutamate". I'll just sit at my kitchen table and enjoy my soup while my brain is being destroyed.

I made a decent pizza the other night though. A corn tortilla, tomato sauce, gobbs of oregano, cheese and a little pepperoni (yeah I know). Tasted great, didn't take long and I felt good after. So there is hope.

Thomas Alan said:
I made a decent pizza the other night though. A corn tortilla, tomato sauce, gobbs of oregano, cheese and a little pepperoni (yeah I know). Tasted great, didn't take long and I felt good after. So there is hope.
That's sound good. I use a lot of basil on pizza and it's good too - not as strong as oregano, which suits my tastes.

There are some gluten-free pizza crust recipes out there, none of which I tried - not yet anyway but I sure will :)
Here's a couple:

http://www.fitnessandfreebies.com/wheatfree/wf15.html
http://pizzaware.com/glutenfreepizza.htm

Shar said:
What about eating rice cakes with sour cream or just cream and smoked salmon fish above it?
(and I mean this kind of rice cake: http://www.fotosearch.com/comp/PHD/PHD594/200115897-001.jpg)
Can be nice for a breakfast. You also can add boiled egg to it . When you wake up, put several eggs to boil and take them before you leave the house.
Or you can take yogurt and eat it with almonds and walnuts. And if the taste of a yogurt is too sour for you, you can add some dry plums or dates.

Food 'conspiracy'???
Firstly, ask yourself, what blood type are you?

Bad news for the O's regarding cereals...

D'Adamo said:
Type Os do not tolerate whole wheat products at all, and you should elimate them completely from your diet. They contrain lectins that react with both your blood and your digestive tract and interfere with the proper absorption of the beneficial foods. Wheat producsts are a primary culprit in Type O weight gain. The glutens in wheat germ interfere with Type O meabolic processes. Inefficient or sluggist metabolism causes food to convert to energy more slowly, and so store itself as fat.
And as far as A's go;

D'Adamo said:
Type As generally do well on cereals and grains, and you can eat these foods one or more times a day. Select the more concentrated whole grains instead of instant and processed cereals. Indroduce millet, soy wheat, conrmeal, and whole oats into your diet. Type As with a pronounced mucus condition caused by asthma or frequent infections should limit wheat consumption, as wheat causes mucus production. You'll have to experiment for yourself to determine how much wheat you can eat. Wheat-eating Type As must be sure to balance thier intake of acid-forming wheat with alkaline foods (see fruits). We're not talking about stomach acid here, but the adic/alkaline balance in your muscle tissues. Type As do best when their tissues are slightly alkaline - in direct contrast with Type Os....
These are the ones to avoid for A's: English muffins, Multi-grain bread, Wheat bran muffins, High-protein breat, Matzos wheat, Pumpernickel, Whole wheat bread.

So, apparently, gluten and A's aren't compatible either...

Now.... oranges.... Guess which blood types should avoid oranges? Well... The following:
O's; A's and AB's. Oranges are 'neutral' for B's, which means they're ok for B's.

I'm begining to think there's some sort of food 'conspiracy' going on here. It seems that we are all eating stuff which is not exactly good for us.

Some stats on percentages:
38.4 will have group O positive blood.
7.7 will have group O negative blood.
32.3 will have group A positive blood.
6.5 will have group A negative blood.
9.4 will have group B positive blood.
1.7 will have group B negative blood.
3.2 will have group AB positive blood.
0.7 will have group AB negative blood
from here:
http://www.swva.net/redcross/blood.html

D'Adamo quotes from "Eat Right 4 Your Type" by Dr. Peter J. D'Adamo with Catherine Whitney (1996) G.P. Putnam's & Sons: New York.

Ruth said:
I'm begining to think there's some sort of food 'conspiracy' going on here. It seems that we are all eating stuff which is not exactly good for us.

Some stats on percentages:
38.4 will have group O positive blood.
7.7 will have group O negative blood.
32.3 will have group A positive blood.
6.5 will have group A negative blood.
9.4 will have group B positive blood.
1.7 will have group B negative blood.
3.2 will have group AB positive blood.
0.7 will have group AB negative blood
from here:
http://www.swva.net/redcross/blood.html
Don't know about "food conspiracy" (since when anything in this world is good for us?)
but lately, the consensus at least here in Israel, that A blood type diet is the best thing ever.
Of course they don't say that this is a diet for A's, they just say that red meat is evil and whole grains is what we should eat. So basically, there is a bunch of people (mostly O's and B's) who don't eat according to their diet.
Then they are surprised to see very high count of triglycerides (direct effect of eating wheat products).

Starting going gluten-free, i must admit it's a bit easier then i initially thought. I've cheated twice since saturday (first day) and each time i noticed stomach pain and later intestinal cramping. So I might have CD even.

Eitherway, I've noticed an increase in energy, more ability to focus, i sleep less, and i feel much less 'weighed down'.

thanks for the tips all.

Ruth said:
These are the ones to avoid for A's: English muffins, Multi-grain bread, Wheat bran muffins, High-protein breat, Matzos wheat, Pumpernickel, Whole wheat bread.
Quitting wheat gluten wasn't so hard for me, since that is what the book recommends for being a type A. But the tomatoes and peppers! Ugh! I especially love jalapenos and cayenne, along with bell peppers. But I did notice that my intestinal problems have greatly decreased since I stopped all of these (plus no dairy). Ahhhhh, well. I have had a craving lately for rice cakes with a little honey and molasses, though. ;)

I have to say I'm impressed and inspired by all you guys (and gals) who are succesfully adjusting your diet.

I've started to adjust mine (but only a little bit so far) according to blood type, and now gluten.

My main stumbling block is that so many of the quick and easy recipes I rely on for convenience (eg pasta) will have to go out the window. It looks like it is worth it so I'm gonna have to phase it in, while I pickup a new set of 'quick' recipes and familiarise myself with a new range of products and ingredients. I'm looking forward to trying some new stuff!

The C's said that the blood type diet can be refined if we consider the "Rh factor" as well, something that the author apparently did not include in the book/website as a factor. But I'm not sure how we can do that ourselves, to know what to do with the Rh factor to refine the results. Then again, maybe that's unnecessary and the overall blood type diet is good enough as it is, if it would take too much time/effort to plug in Rh into the equation with potentially marginal benefits.

sleepyvinny said:
My main stumbling block is that so many of the quick and easy recipes I rely on for convenience (eg pasta) will have to go out the window.
You can buy rice-based pasta too! I find it at 'health food' stores. You might be able to get it online if nowhere else.

Back
Top Bottom