Alpha Gal, the "tick(?) meat" allergy

dugdeep said:
Geez, Foxx, I'm sorry to hear this. When I first started reading about this meat allergy spread by ticks last year I wondered about its origins and how devastating this would be for someone in our group.

Two things come to mind. First, I'm wondering if loading up on amylase, carbohydrate digesting enzymes, would help when consuming meat. It seems to me that if you could break down the carbs into their structural galactose before it reached the lower digestion you might get by without a reaction. It looks like, from looking at images of galactose-alpha-1,3-galactose (alpha gal) that it is bonded with alpha bonds, not beta bonds, meaning it is digestible and wouldn't require cellulase enzymes, only amylase. You can get lots of different types amylase enzymes at supplement dispensaries. Might be worth a try.

Thanks for the suggestion dugdeep! That's worth a try--I'll pick some up and experiment later.

dugdeep said:
Second, I wonder if it would be possible to treat yourself with a homeopathic preparation consisting of a dilution of the tick saliva. Sounds pretty far out, I know, but I've heard of homeopaths getting some pretty exotic remedies. I'm no expert in homeopathy, but I understand that often by treating with mega-dilutions of the offending substance, once can cure themselves. Might be worth talking to a good homeopath about it.

I really hope you're able to get to the bottom of this, Foxx. :hug2:

That's a great idea! I imagine that getting tick saliva would be the tricky part, but I'll definitely look into that. Maybe the doctor studying it at UVA has some...

Thanks for the investigative work, dugdeep :)

adam7117 said:
Dude - that is not cool. As I was reading this, a thought occurred to me - maybe R-alpha Lipoic Acid can be of assistance here. From personal experience, this supplement has very healing properties and really helps with adverse food reactions. Apparently, it is useful in allergy management - along with other supplements already recommended on this forum.

It also helps to induce ketosis - as I discovered not too long ago. Or at least that's what Ketostix seem to indicate.

Alpha Lipoic Acid, A Novel Therapeutic Agent for Intervention of Childhood Allergies
_http://www.medical-library.net/content/view/1545/41/

Material and Methods

A retrospective review of consecutive 416 infants and children who had undergone mineral hair analysis from April 2002 to December 2003 were carried out. Of these, 42 patients were noted to have severe allergies, classified into the following categories:
  • 13 (age range: 4 to 9 year): had chronic tic-like cough not responding to conventional anti-allergic treatment.
  • 18 (age range: 8 month to 5 year): had severe asthma dependent on inhalational steroid yet experiencing frequent exacerbation.
  • 11 (age range: 10 month to 3 year): had intractable eczema involving large areas not responding well to topical steroid and frequently associated with disturbed sleep. All of these severely allergic patients showed elevation of one to multiple heavy metals in their hair. These were caused by ingestion of contaminated fish or from transplacental passage of heavy metal from asymptomatic mother during pregnancy.
These patients were treated by avoidance of the sources of heavy metals implying the abstinence of fish, and a regime of Alpha Lipoic Acid, supplementary zinc and magnesium, and vitamin B complex.

The mean duration of treatment was 79 days. The response of the severely allergic patients to this novel regime was good, with 78% having an excellent response. Apart from the complete eradication of the allergy, the overall health of the patients such as growth, sleep.

Maybe this is about heavy metal toxicity and not ticks?

Thanks for the suggestion adam7117! I lived a couple of miles away from a coal power plant for about 9 months between 2011 and 2012, so it's very possible that I accumulated heavy metals from it. I have some R-Lipoic Acid, which I was reading may be more effective than standard ALA, so I'll try that (just took some right now) and maybe pick up some more ALA to be on the safe side.

Gimpy said:
I feel for you Foxx.

Is there any way you can substitute palm oil or coconut oil to keep getting the fats you need?

Please be aware that blood work on allergens, unless its from a meticulous lab, only test for 'life threatening' allergens. I'm allergic to many foods, but none except tree nuts show up as serious on a blood test. In reality I can't eat dairy, wheat, corn, soy, tomatoes....basically any grain or legume, along with dyes, preservatives, additives, and artificial sweetners. Tree nuts cause allergic shock, so that is the only one that 'stands out' on an allergy test.

Don't give up, can you eat straight up fat? Like lard? I know that sounds gross, but I've actually done this in a pinch.

Thanks Gimpy :)

I'm not too squeamish or attached to my food being a certain way, so I've eaten plain fat (lard being one) at various times. Lard being mammalian has caused problems though. Right now I'm eating duck fat and it seems to be working pretty well--I'm still ketogenic despite this complication. I haven't liked eating straight coconut oil for a while--I haven't really liked the taste and texture for a while and I figure I'm probably also sensitive to coconuts, but I have considered it--thanks!

lwu02eb said:
Really sorry to hear you're having these problems Foxx.

I'm with you on your suspicions, epeciall in light of 'scientists' warning that the world will have to become vegetarian in the near future:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/global-development/2012/aug/26/food-shortages-world-vegetarianism

Two birds with one stone - force people into vegetarianism and remove the risk of people improving their physical and psychological health by being on a meat/fat based diet.

We also know that that they've started full bore on genetically modified mosquitoes:

http://rt.com/usa/news/florida-mosquitos-disease-fever-472/

Potentially pretty worrying stuff, especially when you consider, as you've said, how 'incompetent' they're being understanding it and explaining it (deliberate?).

Keep us up-to-date with your progress.

Thanks lwu02eb! Yeah, I definitely place some evil lab as the top probability for the originator of this affliction. Maybe I'll be able to fix it or maybe I'll just be the carnivore "vegetarian" (Pollo-pesca-no-veg-etarian) of the group :)

This is almost surreal Foxx! First thought that crossed my mind is that it must be a virus transmitted by the tick, triggering an autoimmune response like Guardian suggested. Ticks are infamous for this and they can be transmitting a lectin-like virus that has an affinity to this sugar molecule, and antibodies are reacting then to the sugar in the meat AND the virus.

It reminded me also to fish allergies that were almost unheard of before. A lot of people are testing positive for anisakis - a fish parasite - and they are having strong allergic reactions to fish. It seems to me it is not so straightforward. I think environmental toxicity, including GMOs, and viruses are causing strange reactions in people's immune system.

Considering it might be a virus, and I think there is still no reason to discard this possibility, perhaps an alternative anti-viral therapy might help. I'm thinking here about ozone therapy and megadoses of IV vitamin C or its equivalent in the form of supplemental liposomal vitamin C (see the last 2-3 pages of the Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) thread. Vitamin C is also an anti-histaminic. You could only benefit from doing it. I really think is worth a try.

:flowers:

Psyche said:
This is almost surreal Foxx! First thought that crossed my mind is that it must be a virus transmitted by the tick, triggering an autoimmune response like Guardian suggested. Ticks are infamous for this and they can be transmitting a lectin-like virus that has an affinity to this sugar molecule, and antibodies are reacting then to the sugar in the meat AND the virus.

It reminded me also to fish allergies that were almost unheard of before. A lot of people are testing positive for anisakis - a fish parasite - and they are having strong allergic reactions to fish. It seems to me it is not so straightforward. I think environmental toxicity, including GMOs, and viruses are causing strange reactions in people's immune system.

Considering it might be a virus, and I think there is still no reason to discard this possibility, perhaps an alternative anti-viral therapy might help. I'm thinking here about ozone therapy and megadoses of IV vitamin C or its equivalent in the form of supplemental liposomal vitamin C (see the last 2-3 pages of the Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) thread. Vitamin C is also an anti-histaminic. You could only benefit from doing it. I really think is worth a try.

:flowers:

Thanks Psyche! I did try Liposomal Vitamin C a little while ago from a bottle I ordered online (I think I was taking 2-4 tablespoons a day--I don't remember how much Vitamin C that translated into) and didn't notice any major effects, but since I'd only need a sonic cleaner to make it myself I'll probably get one and see how it goes.

If the reaction is caused by a virus, would that mean that I still have the virus? Or is my immune system just trained to react to it now?

Perplexed by this thought. In working with biofeedback so many people show up with lymes and spirochettes and many have never been around ticks. I had not taken a total, but I would guess as much as 80% of the clients have some degree of this show up, I have not checked for these other things, and as soon as I switch screens will take this down in note and check. This surely something to consider. Very interesting. Thank you for this information!

Foxx said:
If the reaction is caused by a virus, would that mean that I still have the virus? Or is my immune system just trained to react to it now?

It could be either or, but I guess it is still a speculation. It is just bizarre. Making a search returns our "lone tick" as a culprit for newly discovered viruses:

New Tick-Borne Disease Found - Heartland Virus May Cause Common, Unsuspected Illness

_http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/news/20120829/new-tick-borne-disease-heartland-virus

Aug. 29, 2012 -- A new virus, dubbed "Heartland virus," is being spread to people by ticks common in the Southeast, the CDC reports.

The only known cases are two northwestern Missouri men who fell ill in 2009. Ticks had bitten both men, but they did not get better after treatment with antibiotics. Tests later showed that the men did not have any tick-borne bacterial diseases.

But CDC researcher Laura K. McMullan, PhD, and colleagues did find something else: a previously unknown virus in the patients' blood.

"This virus could be a more common cause of human illness than is currently recognized," they suggest in the New England Journal of Medicine.

The two men, one age 57 and the other age 67, lived on different farms. The first had only a single tick bite. The second said that over a two-week period he'd received some 20 tick bites a day.

Both men had fever, fatigue, diarrhea, and low levels of blood platelets and white blood cells. The symptoms are similar to those of ehrlichiosis, a relatively common tick-borne disease that is caused by bacteria.

The first patient spent 10 days in the hospital. Two years later, he's still feeling tired and often has headaches. At first he had memory problems and loss of appetite, both of which slowly got better.

The second patient was in the hospital for 12 days. Over the next four to six weeks he had memory problems, fatigue, and loss of appetite. All of these symptoms went away and did not come back over the next two years.

Questions Remain

The new virus is related to a tick-borne virus recently discovered in central and northeastern China. That virus, called SFTSV, causes fever and loss of blood platelets.

The most common ticks in northwestern Missouri, where the two men were infected with Heartland virus, are lone star ticks. These ticks are found throughout the Southeast and up the Atlantic coast to Maine.

No ticks carrying Heartland virus have been found. It's not clear whether a person infected with the new virus can spread it to another person, or whether a tick bite is necessary.

"Although these two patients had severe disease, the incidence of infection with the novel virus and range of disease severity are currently unknown," McMullan and colleagues write.

They warn health professionals to be on the lookout for people who fall ill after getting tick bites and who do not get better after antibiotic treatment.

So tick-virus interactions is not something that is unheard of. Here are a couple of papers:

Molecular characterization of tick-virus interactions.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19273212

All viruses infecting ticks (with one possible exception) are arboviruses; their life cycle depends on infection and replication in both tick and vertebrate host cells. Little is known of arbovirus-tick cell interactions even though tick-borne viruses spend most of their existence in ticks. A distinct selection pressure on tick-borne viruses is the intracellular process of bloodmeal digestion in ticks (contrasting with insects) This may explain the pronounced differences in surface structure of tick-borne and insect-borne orbiviruses. Some indications of molecular interactions can be extrapolated from vertebrate cells, such as utilisation of aggresome pathways. Although many (if not all) tick-borne viruses exploit the immunomodulatory effects of tick saliva on the vertebrate host, there is no evidence they interact directly with saliva molecules. However, the most fundamental question to address is the benign infection of arboviruses in tick cells compared with their cytopathic effect in vertebrate cells. As the tick proteome is unravelled, its interaction with the viral proteome should help explain the interactions between ticks and the many important viruses they transmit.
Tick-borne viruses.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15938513

At least 38 viral species are transmitted by ticks. Virus-tick-vertebrate host relationships are highly specific and less than 10% of all tick species (Argasidae and Ixodidae) are known to play a role as vectors of arboviruses. However, a few tick species transmit several (e.g. Ixodes ricinus, Amblyomma variegatum) or many (I. uriae) tick-borne viruses. Tick-borne viruses are found in six different virus families (Asfarviridae, Reoviridae, Rhabdoviridae, Orthomyxoviridae, Bunyaviridae, Flaviviridae) and at least 9 genera. Some as yet unassigned tick-borne viruses may belong to a seventh family, the Arenaviridae. With only one exception (African swine fever virus, family Asfarviridae) all tick-borne viruses (as well as all other arboviruses) are RNA viruses. Tick-borne viruses are found in all the RNA virus families in which insect-borne members are found, with the exception of the family Togaviridae. Some tick-borne viruses pose a significant threat to the health of humans (Tick-borne encephalitis virus, Crimean-Congo haemorrhagic fever virus) or livestock (African swine fever virus, Nairobi sheep disease virus). Key challenges are to determine the molecular adaptations that allow tick-borne viruses to infect and replicate in both tick and vertebrate cells, and to identify the principal ecological determinants of tick-borne virus survival.

I had a look to this paper to see if there were more clues:

Delayed Anaphylaxis to Red Meat in Patients with IgE Specific for Galactose alpha-1,3-Galactose (alpha-gal) by Scott P. Commins & Thomas A. E. Platts-Mills

Curr Allergy Asthma Rep (2013) 13:72–77

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23054628

By 2012, it was clear that there are thousands of cases across a large area of the southern and eastern US [2•].
Furthermore, it is clear that the same syndrome is present in several countries in Europe and also in Australia[...]

That oligosaccharide, galactose alpha-1,3-galactose (alpha-gal), is a major blood group substance of the
non-primate mammals, and is well recognized as a target of IgG antibodies which are present in the serum
of all immunocompetent individuals [9].[...]

Subsequently, evidence came from many different sources supporting the idea that tick bites were the primary cause of those antibodies in the United States[...]

This tick is being followed closely by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) because it is the primary vector of Ehrlichiosis [12–14]. Interestingly, there is good evidence both from the CDC and also from the army that the lone star tick is steadily expanding its range[...]

We have case histories and serological evidence that the IgE antibodies and the syndrome existed in the 1980s. On the other hand, it would be difficult to estimate the prevalence of a syndrome 30 years before it had been described. It is important to remember that there are two distinct elements: the production of IgE antibodies
and the urticarial or anaphylactic reactions to red meat.[...]

In particular, the food allergy group in Nancy in France reported cases in 2009, and have recently reported
evidence that kidneys are particularly rich is alpha-gal [16••].

IgE antibodies to alpha-gal in countries where helminth and ecto-parasites are common Oligosaccharides are well recognized as a target for antibody response to helminths [19, 20]. In addition, it is well recognized that helminth and ecto-parasites such as scabies can give rise to IgE ab responses. Two reports from Africa have shown the presence of IgE antibodies to alpha-gal in sera from children and adults [21, 22]. Dr. Sibanda in Zimbabwe working with Drs. Van Hage and Valenta have reported that IgE antibodies to alpha-gal are common in Harare, but they did not discuss reactions to meat [23••]. Similarly, we have reported a high prevalence of IgE antibodies to alpha-gal among children in a rural village 100 miles north of Nairobi [10••]. Interestingly, in both cases, the antibodies were initially thought to be specific for cat [21, 23••]. In the Kenyan village, we were not aware of reactions to meat, but the children were not directly questioned [21]. At present, it would be difficult to identify the stimulus that gives rise to IgE antibodies to alpha-gal in sub-Saharan Africa—possible candidates include cestodes, nematodes, scabies, ticks, and a variety of other ecto-parasites. What is potentially very interesting is that there are no reports of delayed anaphylactic or urticarial reactions to red meat in sub-Saharan Africa. If this is true, it could provide an important insight into the mechanism of the delayed reactions.[...]

In the early studies on patients, who presented with delayed
anaphylaxis to red meat, two things were obvious: (1) these
patients gave positive skin tests and blood tests for cat, and (2)
they did not report allergic symptoms related to cat exposure
[1]. From several types of study, it became clear that the
sensitivity to cat extracts could be explained by IgE antibodies
binding to alpha-gal on cat-derived proteins.
The best defined of
these proteins is cat IgA. In 2007, Gronlund and his colleagues
in Sweden recognized the presence of an oligosaccharide epitope
on cat IgA [24]. After the recognition of IgE Ab to alphagal,
it was established that the epitope on cat IgAwas alpha-gal[...]

Despite meat being an important source of protein in western
diets, development of meat allergy is uncommon [28].
This paradox may not be unexpected for mammalian meat,
however, as the extensive homology of plasma and tissue
proteins across mammalian species decreases the likelihood
of a specific IgE response
[29, 30]. In fact, when clinically
relevant reactivity to meats has been demonstrated, the results
point to cross-reactivity among the identified proteins (e.g.,
bovine serum albumin , serum gamma globulins, actin, and
tropomyosins) and not to a sensitization with meat-specific
epitopes
[31]. The syndrome of delayed anaphylaxis due to
IgE Ab to alpha-gal is different in that the IgE antibodies bind
to a specific oligosaccharide which is present on proteins and
lipids from a large number of non-primate mammals
. Among
the cross-reactive syndromes, however, is the notable “pork–
cat syndrome” [32, 33]. In this uncommon syndrome, patients
develop an IgE Ab response specific for cat serum albumin
that cross-reacts with porcine albumin and can lead to severe
or even fatal allergic reactions when pork is consumed
[32–34]. Interestingly, the reported cases of pork–cat syndrome
are largely European. [...]

Interestingly, and not unusual for meat allergy, patients do
not report reactions with each instance of eating pork. Hilger et
al. also address this point and, further, state that only one-third
of appropriately sensitized patients report allergic symptoms in
relation to pork consumption [33]. This has been in keeping
with our experience and may be due to high cooking temperatures
which can cause the albumin to denature [33]. In patients
with pork–cat syndrome, reactions to pork begin soon after
eating the meat. Both pork–cat and alpha-gal food allergies
are IgE-mediated, involve mammalian meat, and can show
similar responses with certain skin tests and immunoassays;
however, symptoms from pork–cat syndrome usually occur
within 30–45 min and can occur as rapidly as oral itching
during the meal. Due to the inconsistency of these reactions
(likely owing to the preparation of the meat), there may not be a
simple or obvious pattern to suggest that pork is the culprit food.
Hence, if a careful history reveals the possibility that mammalian
meat could be associated with episodes, we suggest
performing immunoassay testing for sIgE to pork, beef, cat
serum albumin, and alpha-gal. Further investigations may be
required, but this simple panel would identify patients whose
symptoms were most likely to be explained by pork–cat
syndrome.[...]

Children who develop IgE Ab to alpha-gal may have positive
skin, intradermal or immunoassay, testing to milk, beef,
pork, cat, or dog [11]. It is important to understand that many
children suffer from milk allergy, but IgE to alpha-gal is distinct
from the more traditional, protein-based cow’s milk allergy.
Alpha-gal-related reactions are present in older children, many
of whom have no history of either food allergy or any allergic
disease [1]. Clinicians should recognize that the carbohydrate
moiety galactose-alpha-1,3-galactose is found in mammalian
milk as evidenced by the positive immunoassay results to cow’s
milk and goat’s milk. Therefore, in a patient who has an
apparent new onset milk allergy over the age of 5, IgE Ab to
alpha-gal should be considered as an alternative diagnosis to
protein-based milk allergy.[...]

As mentioned,
these patients reported delayed symptoms after eating mammalian
meat but they had had no trouble with chicken, turkey, or
fish
[1, 11, 35]. Thus, their symptoms matched the specificity of
IgE antibodies present in their serum, which accurately reflected
the known distribution of alpha-gal in mammals [1, 36]. The
nuances of the delayed reactions seem to reflect that dose,
temporal proximity to tick bites and composition of meat are
important in influencing the allergic reactions
. Food challenge
studies with research subjects have shown that a relatively small
amount of mammalian meat (i.e. a single strip of bacon) is
frequently tolerated without clinical evidence of a reaction.

Large doses are not required, however, as two pork sausage
patties (~86 g) reliably induces clinical symptoms in our challenge
studies. When patients and subjects do consume larger
doses of mammalian meat, such as a double hamburger, rack of
ribs, or a plate of barbecue, the reactions are often more severe
in nature with several organ systems affected (i.e. anaphylaxis).
Similarly, food challenge studies and several hundred case
descriptions have taught us that fattier meats (or mammalian
products such as pork rinds) provoke episodes more consistently
and the reactions are more severe.
In fact, many patients
describe having eaten lean meats such as deli ham or venison
tenderloin without any evidence of a reaction, whereas having
spare ribs the same week has led to emergency treatment.
Another facet of the mammalian meat syndrome is that reactions
to red meat, and even dairy, can be easier to elicit in the
setting of recent tick bite(s) (1–4 weeks).
The IgE Ab to alphagal
appears to decrease over time, but this trend can be reversed
by additional tick bites [10••]. Thus, patients can be led to
believe that they are no longer allergic to mammalian meat
because they have eaten small amounts of meat without reactions
(likely, their IgE Ab to alpha-gal has fallen quite low).
Overall, the factors which feed into the equation to produce a
reaction are clearly complex and variable, especially in the
setting of an IgE Ab to alpha-gal that may ‘naturally’ decrease
over time. It is not surprising that many of these cases have only
been diagnosed over the course of years.
The reason(s) for the 3- 6-h delay in this IgE-mediated food
allergy has not yet been elucidated. Given the apparent role for
lipids in producing the clinical reaction, it may well be that
absorption of lipid is the rate-limiting step in the delay
. Biochemically,
fats are absorbed and processed much differently
than are carbohydrates and proteins. Fats ultimately enter the
bloodstream via the thoracic duct 3–4 h after a meal. The
conversion and processing of fats to chylomicrons and then
further in LDL particles of various sizes may also explain a
portion of the delay. Alternatively, chylomicrons themselves
may transport alpha-gal antigens from the gut and intestinal
epithelium via mesenteric lymph nodes to the circulation [37].
Intestinal epithelial cells have been postulated to secrete antigen
on newly formed chylomicrons [37], a process that could
also help to explain the delayed response to mammalian meat
in patients with IgE Ab to alpha-gal.

The discovery of IgE Ab to the oligosaccharide galactose
alpha-1,3-galactose has made it possible to investigate several
novel aspects of allergic disease. These IgE Ab bind to a wide
range of mammalian proteins, and we recognized the syndrome
of “delayed anaphylaxis to mammalian meat” [1, 11].
However, the most interesting feature of the reactions may be
that first symptoms occur 3–6 h after eating meat and would
normally be regarded as ‘spontaneous’ or ‘idiopathic’ anaphylaxis.
Understanding the factors that control the delay may
provide real insight into the factors that control anaphylaxis.
Moreover, understanding how ticks induce this form of response
will be important as we explore the control of IgE Ab
responses in general.

Perhaps it has to do with a virus and that symptoms decrease over time might mean that the body gets hold of it?

It could be the case that you didn't took enough liposomal vitamin C. Allergies and sensitivities are among the conditions that require the highest concentrations of vitamin C (other than Mononucleosis) over a long period of time in order to see results.

Do you happen to know of a nearby ozone clinic? It seems it has the same benefits of high concentrations of vitamin C and just as C, it is known to be an anti-viral therapy:

_http://www.triroc.com/sunnen/topics/ozonemed.htm

Mechanisms of Bactericidal, Virucidal and Fungicidal Action

Although the inhibitory and lethal effects of ozone on pathogenic organisms have been observed since the latter part of the 19th century, the mechanisms for these actions have not yet been satisfactorily elucidated. Ozone is a strong germicide needing only a few micrograms per liter for measurable action. At a concentration of 1 g/m3 H2O at 1C, ozone rapidly inactivates coliform bacteria, staphylococcus aureus and Aeromonas hydrophilia.[44]

The inactivation rate of enteroviruses[45] is more rapid than for E. coli, takes place in relatively small concentrations of ozone, and is influenced by pH, temperature, and the presence of ambient organic compounds.

Viruses differ in their susceptibility to destruction by ozone. The resistance of polio virus type 2 was 40 times that of coxsackie AS,[46,47] and in an experiment using a continuous flow mixed reactor under controlled laboratory conditions, relative resistance in descending order was found to be: polio virus type 2, echovirus type 1, polio virus type 1, coxsackie virus type B5, echovirus type 5, coxsackie virus type A9. In pure water, at maximal solubility of ozone and room temperature, Echovirus type 29 is inactivated in one minute, polio virus type 1 in two, type 3 in three and type 2 in seven minutes.

The cell envelope of Gram negative microorganisms such as E. coli is a complex multilayer system composed of an inner cytoplasmic membrane made of phospholipids and proteins invaginating into the cytoplasm, a peptidoglycan layer, and an outer membrane of poly polymers such as polysaccharides. Gram positive cells have a less complex, three layer envelope with a thick peptidoglycan middle layer.

The most cited explanation for ozone's bactericidal effects centers on disruption of envelope integrity through peroxidation of phospholipids and lipoproteins. There is evidence for interaction with proteins as well.[48] In one study[49] exploring the effect of ozone on E. coli, evidence was found for ozone's penetration of the cell membrane, reacting with cytoplasmic substances and converting the closed circular plasmid DNA to open circular DNA, which would presumably lessen the efficiency of bacterial proliferation. It is notable that higher organisms have enzymatic mechanisms to restabilize disrupted DNA and RNA, which could provide a partial explanation for why, in clinical treatment with ozone at doses prescribed, ozone appears to be toxic to infecting organisms and not to the patient.[50]

Ozone possesses fungicidal effects, through poorly understood mechanisms. In one study, Candida utilis cell growth inhibition with ozone was greatly dependent on phases of their growth, budding cells exhibiting the most sensitivity to its presence.[51] Interestingly, in another study,[52] low doses of ozone stimulated the growth and development of Monilia fructagen and Phytophtora infestans, while higher doses were inhibitory.

Viruses are parasites at the genetic level, separated into families based on their structure, type of nucleic genome and mode of replication. Many virions contain a phospholipid envelope with glycoprotein spikes, encasing the nucleocapsid which contains nucleic acids (DNA or RNA), and structural proteins (including enzymes).

Lipid-containing viruses are sensitive to treatment with ether, assorted organic solvents, and ozone, indicating that disruption or loss of lipids results in impaired or destroyed infectivity. Viruses containing lipid envelopes include the Herpes viridae a large family grouping the Simplex, Varicella-Zoster, Cytomegalovirus and Epstein-Barr viruses; the Paramyxoviridae (mumps, measles); the Orthonyxoviridae (influenza); the Rhabdoviridae (rabies); and the Retroviridae (HIV). The HIV virus has an outer envelope made of a double layer of lipids penetrated by proteins of several types encasing two molecules of RNA.[53]

Many of the above viruses have complex, sometimes baffling life cycles and replicative strategies with progressions from host cell attachment of the virus particle, to penetration, uncoating of the viral envelope, synthesis of molecular components, and release of new generations of virions to the surrounding medium, most often through cell lysis. Many chronic viruses have eclipse phases alternating with phases of viremia, when waves of viral particles flood the bloodstream.

In view of the above considerations, what part can ozone play as an antiviral agent? In one study,[46] polio virus 1 was exposed to 0.21 mg/liter of ozone at pH 7.2. After 30 seconds 99% of the viruses were inactivated (lost their ability to replicate within host cells), but appeared to maintain their structural integrity. Analysis of viral components showed damage to polypeptide chains and envelope proteins, which could result in attachment capability compromise, and breakage of the single-stranded RNA into two parts, producing replicating dysfunction at its root level. Other researchers[54] in similar experiments concluded that in ozonation, it is the viral capsid which sustains damage. It is to be noted however, that the polioviridae (Picornavirus family) contain four structural proteins encapsulating a single RNA strand and are devoid of lipids.

In those clinical applications which make use of external (or body cavity) application of ozone, it can be appreciated that in view of the fact that a direct ozone-organism contact exists, inactivation of micro-organisms, bacteria, viruses or fungi, proceeds by any one of a variety of different mechanisms. The treatment of burns, superficial mycotic infection, decubitus ulcers and abscesses is applied by this method. Theoretical issues present themselves, however, when examining treatment strategies aimed at systemic infections, notably viral afflictions which make use of introducing ozone-oxygen mixtures into the bloodstream (usually major AHT). The ozone-treated aliquot of blood which is reported to be rendered viral-free through direct contact with ozone and ozone peroxides,[5] is reintroduced into the circulation. Since very little free ozone remains in solution due to its high reactivity, it is its products mainly lipid compounds, possibly others which are thought to interact with circulating as well as tissue-bound virions, thus inactivating them.

Within the dose ranges prescribed (up to 10 mg (O3/100 ml of blood), we may be curious to measure this overflow antiviral capacity. Although unproven to be outright curative for any viral illness, ozone blood treatment, as reported in several studies[21,31,55] may lessen clinical severity or duration. Thus therapeutic benefits have been noted in hepatitis, acute and chronic, and herpes.[55] In chronic viral infections Cytomegalic, Epstein-Barr and Retroviridae (AIDS) among others blood ozonation performed in viremic cycles or in periods of clinical exacerbation may, through direct action, through the production of cofactors inhibitory to viral replication, or through modification of immune function, be used in inducing viral quiescence. Ozone is reported to be an immuno-stimulant in low doses and immuno-inhibitory at higher levels.[15,26,27]

It is not inconceivable, in view of the possibilities given to ozone's antiviral properties that new generations of machines may be developed to test the therapeutic potential of the extra-corporeal treatment of circulating blood.

I hope that with time your reactivity to meat products will decrease. Hopefully your diet modifications will help you to benefit from ketosis anti-viral properties too.

If ozone is not practical, then perhaps insisting on liposomal vitamin C is the ticket. According to the info available, I think you should try to have at least 36 grams of liposomal vitamin C each day which is the equivalent of a high dose IV vitamin C.

Thanks for all that info Psyche!

Psyche said:
Perhaps it has to do with a virus and that symptoms decrease over time might mean that the body gets hold of it?

It could be the case that you didn't took enough liposomal vitamin C. Allergies and sensitivities are among the conditions that require the highest concentrations of vitamin C (other than Mononucleosis) over a long period of time in order to see results.

Do you happen to know of a nearby ozone clinic? It seems it has the same benefits of high concentrations of vitamin C and just as C, it is known to be an anti-viral therapy:

A lingering viral infection could explain it decreasing over time--still quite an odd affliction, I think. It's very possible that I hadn't taken enough liposomal vitamin C--I only had the one bottle (5oz), so it didn't last that long. I'm going to read up on it more in the Ascorbic Acid thread and look into making it myself.

I looked around online and don't see anyone nearby that does ozone therapy, so going with the vitamin c is probably best for me.

Psyche said:
I hope that with time your reactivity to meat products will decrease. Hopefully your diet modifications will help you to benefit from ketosis anti-viral properties too.

If ozone is not practical, then perhaps insisting on liposomal vitamin C is the ticket. According to the info available, I think you should try to have at least 36 grams of liposomal vitamin C each day which is the equivalent of a high dose IV vitamin C.

Thanks Psyche! I don't think the KD is enough to beat this virus, if that's what it is, because I'm pretty confident that I've been in ketosis for about a year now. Or maybe it was really bad before--no way to know for sure.

Foxx said:
Thanks Psyche! I don't think the KD is enough to beat this virus, if that's what it is, because I'm pretty confident that I've been in ketosis for about a year now. Or maybe it was really bad before--no way to know for sure.

Have you tried doing a weekly treatment of taking DMSO internally?

Shane said:
Foxx said:

Have you tried doing a weekly treatment of taking DMSO internally?

I haven't, but that's a good idea. Definitely not my favorite thing to take internally, but it can only help. My bottle is quite old now, too, so I should get a new one to avoid plastic leaching.

Thanks for the suggestion!

As an update to this thread, I've finally been able to eat mammal meat and fat without having negative reactions!!

:bacon: :bacon: :bacon: :bacon: :bacon: :bacon: :bacon: :bacon: :bacon:

To fix this problem, I took samples of meat and fat to the Applied Kinesiologist that I've been working with for the past year and asked him if he could figure out why I couldn't eat them and what I could do to be able to actually digest this food. I brought him pork, beef, bacon fat, ghee, and butter, to span the general gamut of mammal foods.

He tested me against these two supplements and said that they would do the trick:

_http://www.amazon.com/Thorne-Research-Bio-Gest-Vegetarian-Capsules/dp/B000VYQJ8W/

_http://www.amazon.com/Standard-Process-Betafood-0825-Tablets/dp/B001AJ5JA6/

The first (Thorne Bio-Gest) is a mixed HCL and Ox bile supplement with these ingredients:

Two Capsules Contain:
Betaine Hydrochloride* 480 mg.
L-Glutamic Acid Hydrochloride 480 mg.
Pancreatin (Porcine) 140 mg.
Ox Bile concentrate 80 mg.
Pepsin (Porcine) 70 mg.

Other Ingredients: Hypromellose (derived from cellulose) capsule, Leucine, Silicon Dioxide.

*Betaine Hydrochloride derived from a non-plant source. This product is not diluted with lactose. Individuals with porcine allergies should not take this product.

I had tried both HCL and Ox bile in the past, but they hadn't worked, so the issue may be one or both of the quality or forms of the supplements I had, or that I also needed the A-F Betafood supplement. He told me specifically that according to the responses from my body, the Thorne Bio-Gest was for digesting the meat/protein, but that I needed the A-F Betafood to digest the fats. It's interesting to me that the Ox bile alone isn't enough to digest the fats.

The A-F Betafood contains these ingredients:

Serving Size: 2 Tablets Servings per Container: 45 or 180
Amount per Serving %DV
Calories 2
Total Carbohydrate 1 g <1%*
Sugars
1 g †
Vitamin A 1,500 IU 30%
Vitamin B6 0.3 mg 15%
Iodine 40 mcg 25%
Proprietary Blend: 546 mg Beet (root)†, carrot (root)†, sweet potato†,oat flour†, dried beet (leaf) juice†, rice (bran)†, calcium lactate, magnesium citrate, bovine liver†, nutritional yeast†, bovine kidney†, bovine prostate†, alfalfa flour†, bovine orchic extract†, bovine liver fat extract†, flaxseed oil extract†, vitamin E (sunflower), and sunflower lecithin†.
†Daily Value (DV) not established.
Other Ingredients: Honey, calcium stearate, arabic gum, starch, sucrose (beets), vitamin A palmitate, prolamine iodine (zein), ascorbic acid, and pyridoxine hydrochloride.

The company, Standard Process, has this to say about the supplement:

A-F Betafood uses an array of ingredients, including beet juice, which is a natural source of betaine, to support healthy fat digestion.
Supports normal processing of dietary fats, for cholesterol-metabolism support
Supports healthy bowel functioning
Supports bile production in the liver and healthy bile flow in the gallbladder
Helps maintain healthy levels of fat in the liver
Contains a combination of key ingredients from Cataplex A, Cataplex F, and Betafood
High in antioxidant vitamin C*

It's not really clear to me what it does on a bio-chemical level to improve fat digestion. Reviews on amazon suggest that the supplement may "thin" the bile so that it moves easier from the liver and gallbladder.

I'd also tried betaine itself (and TMG, which may be identical) at various times and it didn't work. My personal subjective experience is that beets generally have helped my digestion in the past, but that there may be some additional food needed to produce effective results in my digestion--so some kind of combination of foods with the beets to "activate" their digestive improvement effect.

Since the A-F Betafood has helped me to be able to digest fat (including butter!), perhaps other members who have trouble digesting some fats may want to try it and see if they can digest the fats that they were previously unable to.

He told me to take 2 pills of each supplement before eating a meal and to start slowly with re-introducing mammal meat and fat into my diet. I started out by taking 2 pills of each before eating and not eating any mammal meat for the first few days to acclimate my system to the supplements. Initially, I got small hives relatively shortly after eating (15 minutes or so--a hallmark of the allergy is a significantly delayed reaction, so this was a change)--I think this happened twice before eating mammal meat again. I then slowly introduced pork and pork fat back into my diet over the course of a few days and added in beef and butter as well. I had one negative reaction of some hives and itching shortly after eating one meal early on, though this may have been due to me forgetting to take the supplements at the beginning of the meal.

I started taking these supplements about three weeks ago and saw him again the other day and asked him to give me a time frame estimate for how long I would be taking them: he said about 2 more months (so approx 3 months total) for the A-F Betafood and about 3 more months for the Bio-Gest (so approx 4 months total).

The L-Glutamic Acid Hydrochloride hadn't really come up in my health research, but a couple of articles report on it being used to improve digestion:

_http://www.livestrong.com/article/325527-what-is-glutamic-acid-hcl/
Glutamic Acid, or glutamate, is an amino acid that occurs naturally in the body. Generally recognized for its power as a neurotransmitter, glutamic acid is a hydrochloride (HCL) and often used to flavor food or as a supplement to promote digestion.

Digestive
A patient who eats more often, or consumes large quantities of food, may suffer from mild to moderate digestive discomfort, ranging from gas and bloating to intense discomfort. This is due to suppression of stomach acid as it is perpetually full, slowing digestion. As a digestive aid, glutamic acid hcl can be used, though, Dr. Elson M. Haas reports in his book "Staying Healthy with Nutrition," that other acids, such as betaine HCL, may be more effective.

Other Benefits
Dr. Haas also asserts that use of HCL, in a supplement form, can be useful for other patients with low acid secretion, such as diabetics. The supplement may also function as an anti-aging supplement as well. HCL production is generally low during times of stress, which can contribute to both external aging, such as wrinkles and age spots; and internal aging, such as periodontal disease and digestive disorders.

Food Additive
As a food additive, glutamic acid HCL is better known as MSG to the general public and is used as a sodium additive. Sodium additives in food tend to cause some concern, but in the March, 2003, issue of the "Journal of Chemical Education," Dr. Addison Ault details how MSG is synthesized naturally and poses no cause for concern.

Dosage
Dosage of glutamic acid HCL supplements are relatively low, around 500 -- 1,500 mg. The supplements are usually found in pill form, constructed of the white, powdered substance. It is also available commercially, as an ingredient in many protein supplement powders.

Warnings
Though glutamic acid supplementation is generally considered safe for most people, it has been known to have the following side effects according to the Mayo Clinic: flushing,headaches, sweating, facial pressure, numbness, tingling, burning sensations, heart palpitations, nausea, weakness, and chest pains. It's recommend that those suffering from mental disorders, pregnant women, and women who are breastfeeding should not take any glutamic supplements or foods with MSG additives.

_http://www.naturalwellbeing.com/learning-center/Glutamic_Acid_HCl
Glutamic Acid HCI
Description
Glutamic acid HCl, or Glu, is one of the 20 proteinogenic amino acids and it is considered to be a non-essential amino acid. It can also be called glutamate and this amino acid occurs naturally in the human body.
Glutamic acid HCl is mostly used to flavor food and many products have Glutamic acid HCl as the main ingredient in adding flavor to an otherwise bland and boring dish. Glutamic acid HCl is also essential as a supplement to aid digestion.

History and Origin
Glutamic acid HCl along with other amino acids were first discovered in 1866 by a German chemist named Karl Heinrich Leopold Rotthausen. A Japanese researcher named Kikunae Ikeda of the Tokyo Imperial University was the first to create Glutamic acid HCl crystals in 1907 and his discovery is better known as monosodium glutamate, or MSG.

Ancient Uses
The use of Glutamic acid HCl during ancient times was not specific to the amino acid but with the consumption of food that contained Glutamic acid HCl, or MSG. Our ancestors were mainly meat eaters and had a great supply of Glutamic acid HCl from meat, fish, eggs and dairy products.

Modern Uses
In modern times, Glutamic acid HCl is known to be effective in the treatment of many digestive problems. It is useful in people with low acid secretion like patients who are suffering from diabetes. The use of Glutamic acid HCl for its anti aging properties is also seen since it has been found to be beneficial in the prevention of wrinkle formation, age spots and many other skin conditions related to aging. Internal aging of the body organs may also be prevented if you take Glutamic acid HCl supplements; periodontal diseases and digestive disorders related to aging can be prevented as well. The use of Glutamic acid HCl as a food additive to enhance flavor and taste in food has been widely used in modern times. It is well known as monosodium glutamate or MSG and marketed by different brands of food flavor enhancers. There were controversies regarding the safety of Glutamic acid HCl as a food additive but in 2003 all of these were laid to rest as the Journal of Chemical Education mentioned that there is absolutely no cause for alarm at all. The dose of Glutamic acid HCl for daily adequate requirements is around 500 to 1,500 mg. There are Glutamic acid HCl supplements that you can purchase and are also found in many protein supplements as well.

Side Effects
The use of Glutamic acid HCl is safe. There are several mild side effects on its excessive use like headaches, burning sensations, nausea, vomiting and also chest pains. It is therefore advisable to seek medical advice if you want to use Glutamic acid HCl supplements for your illness since it may counteract the effect of the medications you may be currently taking.
Healthy individuals may not need Glutamic acid HCl supplements at all but if you wish to use this amino acid it is better to consult your doctor for the right dosage amount according to your specific needs and illness.

It's not really clear to me if the specific glutamic acid that it's using is the same as MSG. I doubt that it is.

I'm extremely happy to have the ability to eat mammal foods again, though I still don't have a conclusive understanding of what's been happening to cause the reaction and why other treatments didn't work. There's clearly an involvement with the liver in the issue and I've been wondering if the allergy hypothesis is more or less completely wrong, or whether the source of the issue is poor digestion that either results in, or triggers the allergic response. There were also a few instances earlier this year when I wasn't eating mammal meat or fat still, but ended up having reactions anyway (I think to fermented cod liver oil and/or gelatin capsules), so there's some data that doesn't really fit with the allergy hypothesis. It may be the case that the delay in the allergy is the result of delayed gastric emptying and insufficient protein digestion such that the protein isn't broken down enough by the time it hits the blood and triggers the allergy. If there is an allergy aspect, which does seem to be the case, then I still have no idea what the cause is. Perhaps the tick bite, since they have seemed to be observed conclusively as making the allergy worse, affects certain susceptible individuals who have some quantity of insufficiently digested mammal meat protein and/or alpha galactose in their blood. It's also not clear to me if this will eliminate the allergy (the IgE antibody in my system) or whether I'll still have it, but be able to digest the food any way. And, for extra fun, it's also always possible that 2 or more factors are at play regarding this issue, so there may be added complexities that aren't currently known.

One of the other occurrences I've had during this time has been a significant increase in general irritability and anger. Since the supplements are acting on the liver, my hypothesis is that it's getting some stuck/suppressed anger moving and calling my attention to some things in my life that aren't working and need my attention and effort to change. I mentioned the irritability to the Applied Kinesiologist when I saw him and he did some tests with the supplements and said that I would need the supplements for the time estimates that he gave, or until I resolved the situations that are angering me. I've come to always think about "As above, so below" when working on physical health conditions, so in my mind resolving a physical health condition requires making a life change that's linked to the physical disharmony.

So ultimately the entirety of the cause and conditions of this issue remain a mystery, but what I can conclusively say is that it can be corrected with some investigative effort. While the supplements and dosing are working for me, they may not work for someone else with this condition, so it may be necessary to see an Applied Kinesiologist to test and find working supplements and the proper dosage for them.

I will also use this as another opportunity to recommend Applied Kinesiology to anyone who's had stubborn health issues. I gave this guy a problem I had thought about and read about FOR YEARS and had practically relegated to being unsolvable, and in 15 minutes he found a solution (with enough time to do other stuff in the session, and for less than $100 including the supplements!). It may be his own skill set as a practitioner that sets him apart, but I think in general that the tool set that Applied Kinesiologists have to directly query the body and get answers to questions and determine solutions is, in my opinion, among the best available today and exceeds that of any other health practitioner I've seen (acupuncturists, naturopaths, herbalists, Reiki, certainly every western medical doctor) for a very large quantity of issues. It effectively combines practical, physical applications and treatments (supplements, herbs, etc) with energy-level type of analysis that blends the hypothetical (what should work) with the actual (what does work), and individual, results. In my opinion, Applied Kinesiology should replace generalized western medicine as the first line of inquiry for almost any physical health problem.

BACON!! :bacon: :bacon:

That is great news, Foxx! What a long and difficult process, along with resultant anger and frustration no doubt. AK was the go to modality for my ex back in the 80's. It

required 100 mile round trips twice monthly. The doc was a DC as well.

That is great news, Foxx! I am happy that you found something that is working for you.

As far as the irritability and anger, if you haven't read When "The Body Says No", that book would be helpful, along with EE. Also, your liver may be a bit sluggish. There is a thread on that also. I've found that the recommended liver supplements help a lot. I took them for 6 weeks and my sluggish liver issues are resolved.

Healing the gut (and mind) is a long process. Sally forth! :thup:

In other words, it sounds like this so-called "meat allergy" is simply being unable to digest it because the system is not tooled up to do so and it takes time for the DNA to readjust/retool.

Back
Top Bottom