Alpha Lipoic Acid

Helle,

I get mine from VRP.com and they come in a vegetarian capsule, 50 mg per cap, and 60 per bottle for $12.00 bucks US. I don't know if you have access to this site, but I find it very creditable and have used it a lot.

fwiw,

gwb

Thank you GWB :) I'll look into that when I've finished this bottle.

Yesterday I opened the capsule, and poured it into a glass of water.

(note to self regarding that, MIX well before putting your nose close to the glass for drinking, I accidentally inhaled some powder, which can NOT be recommended, gawd it took awhile to get back to normal again :-[ ;D )

I finally got a hold of some ALA.
After just reading "Detoxify or die", I started to look for the Lipoic acid here, but as I soon found out the government has decided
that the ALA would only be available through the prescription from a doctor and then only if you have an illness that needs it (I guess they found out that this stuff really works!).
I had to go to Sweden to get it, there they had it in a normal health food store.
I've been on the detox cocktail for about a week and I really feel a difference in my body, much more energy.
Combined with the EE I feel like a new man and it's only been a short while.
I'm also taking magnesium, alot of other nutrients, no soy, gluten or trans fat and I'm working out regularly.
Next step is getting the FIRS. :)

My husband just got back from Dr. Berkson's clinic. He Has Hep C which has caused him to develop Cirrhosis. I thought some might be interested in the the protocol he was given. The next intravenous session is in December.

The Big One- Multi vitamin from metabolic maintenance w/o iron
ALA 300 mg 3X a day
B Complex 3X a day
Selenium 200 mg 2X a day
Silymarin ( milk thistle) 300 mg 4X a day

Pro Omegas 3x a day
Vitamin D 2000mg 2x day
Horse Chestnut
Vit C amount not noted for some reason--- but he did recommend Lypo-Spheric Vitamin C which is able to produce serum levels of Vitamin C nearly double of what was thought theoretically possible with any oral form of Vitamin C.

He was pretty persnickety about the vitamin manufacturers. Metabolic Maintenance, Carlsons, and Biotech were some of the companies he was recommending. Many of these being the same companies recommended by Dr. Sherry Rogers in Detoxify or Die

Dr. Berkson is also precribing low dose naltrexone, which I'm just learning about.

Promising New Therapy for MS & Immune System Disorders

The low dose naltrexone protocol has a long history of success treating autoimmune diseases. Over 20 years ago, naltrexone was approved by the FDA to treat addiction, at much higher doses. But in 1982 Dr. Ian Zagon and other researchers at Penn State University discovered its ability to normalize a dysfunctional immune system, when used in very low doses. Bernard Bihari, MD, a Harvard trained neurologist in New York City, observed positive clinical results using LDN for HIV, MS and other immune system disorders. His observations led to years of devoted work with patients, treating every kind of immune disease -- including HIV/AIDS – with extremely positive results, and virtually no side effects.

According to Dr. Bihari’s friend and colleague, David Gluck, MD, who also works tirelessly to get the word out about LDN: ““Low Dose Naltrexone may well be the most important therapeutic breakthrough in over fifty years. It provides a safe and inexpensive method of medical treatment by mobilizing the natural defenses of one's own immune system.”

Doctors throughout the US, UK, Canada, Italy, Israel, Australia and Nigeria prescribe LDN for their patients.

If anyone is in the Bethesda Maryland area they may be interested in this seminar. Dr. Berkson will be one of the speakers there.

Monday, October 19, 2009
Lister Hill Auditorium in the National Library of Science Building
National Institutes of Health
Bethesda, Maryland

LDN treatment has helped over 50,000 people with Multiple Sclerosis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Crohn’s Disease, other autoimmune disorders, Cancer and HIV / Aids, you will not want to miss this informative event. As the public awareness and acceptance of LDN treatment grows, The 5th Annual Low Dose Naltrexone Conference promises to offer the latest insights of how use of the drug is challenging many medical assumptions of today.

Project LDN: Funding Clinical Trials is the conference theme this year and represents a call to action for all those interested in seeing LDN treatment advance as a mainstream protocol. The current agenda now includes presentations by Dr. Burt Berkson, Pharmacist Skip Lenz, and author Mary Boyle Bradley. Plenty of time will be allotted to answer attendee questions, meet with people who have in-depth experience with LDN treatment, as well as the open discussion of ideas on how to best fund future research and study of LDN.

The off-label protocol referred to as Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN) modulates the immune system and promotes healing. Relying on clinical trial results and interviews with the leading LDN researchers worldwide, we describe the history of LDN and explain its biochemical and molecular effects. In clinical trials, LDN has been shown to halt disease progression in Crohn’s disease and certain cancers, including pancreatic cancer, and to reduce symptoms in multiple sclerosis (MS) and autism. Ongoing trials are evaluating LDN in fibromyalgia and HIV/AIDS. Anecdotally, LDN has been shown to improve almost every autoimmune and neurodegenerative condition, including Parkinson’s disease and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS).

http://www.ldners.org/index.htm
:cool2:

Thank you all for posting such terrific information, links and references.

About 10 years ago, I was working with a pretty unique naturopathic doctor in Massachusetts, and she figured out that (among MANY things), I had mercury poisoning. Aside from having six mercury fillings in my teeth, as a kid I had broken a thermometer. The mercury was the most fascinating thing I had ever seen! I kept it in a little gift box and took it out to play with every day for at least a week. putting it on a saucer, rolling it around, touching it with my fingers (and most certainly touching my face after that). One day my mom saw me open my little secret box and said, "hey, whatcha' got there?" SHE FREAKED!!!! Took it away from me and proceeded to bury her head in the sand without even wondering if I had touched it or put it in my mouth? And add to it, that I had also been vaccine injured.

Any-who, when I hit about 20 years old, I was having these horrible ghosting pains through my body. Not quite what I would call tenderness; more like a slightly searing bone-type pain that would be in my fore-arm one minute and then in my lower leg the next. My speech was becoming slightly slurred, and among so many other health problems, no doctor seemed able to help even a little. And of course, I got the standard, "it's in your head and maybe you should visit a psychiatrist" kind of thing.

When I eventually found this wonderful naturopath/chiropractor, she got me going on a cocktail of ALA (hard to remember, but it had a few other things in it and I am pretty sure that one of them was NAC ... I think it was a Biotics Research product), combined with L-cystine, the oxidized form(NOT L-cystien.) Of special importance was to take it concurrently with a really good full-spectrum multi-mineral supplement, as the ALA & L-cystine were pulling many other minerals from the body as well. If I recall correctly, the L-cystine was important for pulling the ALA-bound metals out of the body.

I started feeling noticeably better over the course of the first month and continued to improve gradually. It took 6 months! And it was a real life-changer. (silver-amalgam fillings, my butt! More than 50% mercury. Illegal to put it in a landfill when they pull it from your mouth, but just fine to put it in your mouth??? The ADA is just another scam!)

Hi Lauranimal did you ever get all those fillings removed? I still have about six and I am working on getting them out, when my insurance will cover it...

My chiropractor gave me this product: DHLA NanoPlex (Liquid) Premier Research Labs

According to this site
DHLA Nano-Plex™, the world's first and only stable, live-source, reduced form of DHLA, is vastly superior to alpha-lipoic acid (ALA), R-lipoic acid or R-DHLA in long term DNA protection and free radical quenching capacity

I was using this product for a while and it was very energizing. More from this site:
IF ONLY ...
· .. you could get the best lipoic acid, the reduced form (DHLA), highly bio-available, ensuring enhanced metabolism,* ATP synthesis and the ultimate in free radical quenching. Then you'd get the very best benefits - especially for those running out of time. Now you can!
WE DID IT-
For the first time in history (patent pending), we have developed a stable, fully reduced form of lipoic acid (DHLA) - derived from "once-living" sources (not typical synthetic sources). Now you can get huge amounts of exquisitely bio-available DHLA, fully active and intracellularly potent. The lab director who performed the independent laboratory assay on our DHLA expressed his surprise at the creation of DHLA in a stable form - which has never been done before. 1
And It Really Works -
DHLA Nano-Plex™, the world's first and only stable, live-source, reduced form of DHLA, is vastly superior to alpha-lipoic acid (ALA), R-lipoic acid or R-DHLA in long term DNA protection and free radical quenching capacity - and thus can deliver more comprehensive reduction of oxidative stress for literally EVERY organ and gland, especially the brain and the nervous system.* For example, DHLA Nano-Plex™ can quench the superoxide anion free radical and the peroxyl radical whereas ALA and R-lipoic acid cannot.
How DID we do it?
In our proprietary process, DHLA Nano-Plex™ is produced by 12 strains of beneficial probiotic organisms that pre-culture and "nanize" our nutrient sources where they become part of the living probiotic structure, micro-digested into particle sizes so tiny they become exceptionally bio-available. Just 1/4 tsp. provides 80 mg. of DHLA2 and 5 mg of Resveratrol. Take note: there are NO OTHER live-source DHLAsupplements available in the world! The closest you might come is a product with alpha-lipoic, R-lipoic acid or R-DHLA (but from non-live sources).
Fast-Acting. Excellent for even your worst cases. Many people experience a sense of increased energy and well being with the very first dose. Start the DHLA immune system cleanup today. Available in 2 oz glass bottles; 48 servings/bottle.
DHLA is the only known antioxidant (notALAor R-lipoic acid) capable of quenching every known free radical found in living cells: all ROS (reactive oxygen species) and RNS (reactive nitrogen species). While ALA and R-lipoic acid forms may be helpful, they cannot compare with the free radical quenching power of DHLA, nor can they compare to the boost in metabolism and ATP synthesis of DHLA.
Most all sources of ALA, R-lipoic or R-DHLA are synthetic - devoid of a "body of light" and therefore, ultimately act to degrade cellular DNA and, with long-term use, they can accelerate aging (as shown in biophotonic research by Dr. Fritz-Albert Popp, a noted German biophysicist).
DHLA Nano-Plex™, on the other hand, is not only the superior, reduced form of lipoic acid (DHLA), but it is also derived from "onceliving" nutrient sources (not devitalized, synthetic sources) so a single serving has long-lasting benefits that no amount of synthetic alpha lipoic acid, R-lipoic and R-DHLA can deliver.
Experience for yourself the increased energy, mental clarity, concentration and sense of well-being - only
possible with "once-living" DHLA Nano-Plex™.*

edit: This product also comes in a small size, which is much more affordable. I personally only needed like 20 drops per day so a small bottle would usually be sufficient.

I started with ALA plus vitamin C and Glutathione after reading Detoxify or Die. She recommends between a daily 300 to 600mg and I have been taking something along those lines. Hope its not too much
This week I was talking to a nutritionist and she told me that ALA actually feeds Candida. Anyone heard anything similar?

Lauranimal said:
Aside from having six mercury fillings in my teeth, as a kid I had broken a thermometer. The mercury was the most fascinating thing I had ever seen! I kept it in a little gift box and took it out to play with every day for at least a week. putting it on a saucer, rolling it around, touching it with my fingers (and most certainly touching my face after that).

I had mercury on a box from broken thermometers as well...I played with it for years :shock:, not to mention the teeth
Guess I should check my mercury levels.

Gertrudes said:
This week I was talking to a nutritionist and she told me that ALA actually feeds Candida. Anyone heard anything similar?
Never heard of it, perhaps she has some info or some reference?

ALA is an exc chelator, and candida binds to heavy metals in the gut, so I was wondering if it was related to this. But in this case, it would not feed candida, it could make candida free in the gut, ready to get rid off by anti-fungal means.

Thanks Psyche.
I will email her and ask for some references. It will likely take a while for her to get back to me though
Will also ask if this:

Psyche said:
ALA is an exc chelator, and candida binds to heavy metals in the gut, so I was wondering if it was related to this. But in this case, it would not feed candida, it could make candida free in the gut, ready to get rid off by anti-fungal means.

is what she meant

Gertrudes said:
Thanks Psyche.
I will email her and ask for some references. It will likely take a while for her to get back to me though

Psyche,

Apologies, I completely forgot to e-mail her! :/ It just slipped my mind... I have now just done so, lets see what she says.

Ok, I'm pasting what she has just e-mailed me:

I doubt it’s a transient thing. It is the experience of many doctors involved in chelating heavy metals in autistic children. It has also been something I’ve observed on a couple of occasions. Many sulphur containing compounds used for chelation seem to also have the capacity to aggravate gut imbalances. Obviously it does depend on the state of your gut to begin with and your susceptibility to such problems too. You can just try it and see but it’s something to bear in mind if you do get an unexplained flare up of fungal/yeast symptoms.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for the info. The only thought to mind now is the relationship between heavy metals and candida. If candida binds to heavy metals and overgrows as a protective mechanism against heavy metal toxicity, then we have to detoxify metals from our body and address also candida in order to heal.

Thank you for this information, I have just buy Melatonine pills (5 mg) i guess it's a normal dosis (once per day), and the Lipoic Acid will arrive in two days to the store, i have started with bread (free gluten ).

I'll go on reading the diet and health thread i guess i have a lot to learn about.

Greetings !!!

Gertrudes said:
Ok, I'm pasting what she has just e-mailed me:

I doubt it’s a transient thing. It is the experience of many doctors involved in chelating heavy metals in autistic children. It has also been something I’ve observed on a couple of occasions. Many sulphur containing compounds used for chelation seem to also have the capacity to aggravate gut imbalances. Obviously it does depend on the state of your gut to begin with and your susceptibility to such problems too. You can just try it and see but it’s something to bear in mind if you do get an unexplained flare up of fungal/yeast symptoms.

Any thoughts?

I finally found some information about this while reading about heavy metal chelation in autistic children. Physicians and researchers from autism.com state that alpha lipoic acid (ALA) is readily consumed by yeast and its usage can exacerbate intestinal yeast overgrowth. The risk of yeast overgrowth may be decreased by lowering the dose. Some nutritional companies sell alpha lipoic acid in 600mg capsules, although it seems that a dose of 100mg twice a day is enough to benefit from the anti-oxidant effects of ALA. Staying at the recommended dose might be the key.

It seems that cysteine and cystine are excellent culture media for candida as well, thus they can worsen intestinal candidiasis when given orally. N-acetylcysteine supplements (NAC) contain cysteine, so they are also believed to feed candida. Notice that this is something that has been seen in autistic children. This is also a concern for DMSA therapy, although to a lesser extent.

It seems that a different mechanism might also be involved, for example the excretion of heavy metals into the gut which can then cause a yeast overgrowth:

autism.com said:
Some detoxification treatments can cause or exacerbate bacteria/yeast dysbiosis, either directly by providing food to them, or by causing excretion of toxic metals into the gut. This appears to especially be a problem for oral alpha lipoic acid and NAC, sometimes is a problem for oral DMSA, somewhat less of a problem for oral DMPS, and perhaps rarely a problem for transdermal DMPS.

As a recommendation, people are encouraged to treat yeast overgrowth before detoxifying heavy metals.

Back
Top Bottom