Anime and Manga - Big eyes = Human/Alien hybrid acceptance programming?

cubbex said:
The problem is that not just adults play this, and you may imagine the kind of adults playing this, but in my school, almost every kid at 13 or 14 talk to me about this game, and the problem is that the parents let the kids play this, and what this is doing is that is accustoming children to violence and to coldness. And I mean, an adult is different, the adult -yeah with exceptions - discern from videogames violence, but a child doesn't, and worst if the child's parents bought the game. And is like giving the child its candy, just to keep it in silence, doing bad for the child's health.

Adults playing violent videogames are also affected by the content. With children the effect maybe worse but adults are not spared either.

Oh yeah, if not why would they want violence?? But an adult won't go out and harm others because has seen it in a videogame, it should be retarded or something like that to do it, and a child may do it without thinking about it.

I tend to think that video game violence is not so much about programming people to be personally and directly violent in their day to day activities, —though there may certainly be evidence of that.

I think it's more about programming people to accept violence in national behavior; to normalize the business of war and general ponerization. Normalizing murder and violence cheapens and degrades the perceived value of life, eroding the necessity to respect your neighbors and community. —When a corporate scandal is made public, revealing that lives have been endangered for profit, people are likely to react less strongly when the value of the people at risk has been lowered. After all, their programming tells them, "people don't matter"; they have no value. They're just toys which can be easily killed with no emotional repercussions. Life is cheap.

This deep and endlessly repeated programming, "Life is cheap" allows for the abuse and exploitation of people. What better way to keep a cubicle drone from rebelling against a life of misery than to convince him that his life has no value beyond those tasks he can perform for the company? That he's lucky to have what little he has?

Instead, imagine what would happen to our racial character if our media revered, honored and placed great value upon human life? Imagine how the world would look if that programming was the daily norm. How might it affect things like health care? And food safety practices? (Heck, basic nutritional science?) Or the way we might react when psychopaths are revealed in government running child prostitution rings?

Instead of the half-hearted non-reactions we see, we might instead react in outrage when human life was seen being disrespected and harmed.

The debate around violence in video games is deliberately misplaced, I think, so that the real issues and effects are rarely examined.

Woodsman said:
I tend to think that video game violence is not so much about programming people to be personally and directly violent in their day to day activities, —though there may certainly be evidence of that...
...The debate around violence in video games is deliberately misplaced, I think, so that the real issues and effects are rarely examined.

Couldn't agree with Your reasoning more. But to make it more to the point(imo). Time spent playing games is time not spent with your family(or participating in life in general). It is dissociation... Exactly as said before in similar threads. . . sorry wandered slightly off topic here :-[

What I wanted to say is, gaming has been covered extensively elsewhere on this forum. Let's get back to big eyes & alien hybrid acceptance programming. Is there such and if so, then why?

I remember a few times, listening to the news, interviewing a kid who hurt or killed something, where the kid said that real life doesn't look like it did on the game. :headbash:

- Talking about the blood and or feelings associated to the game being different from "real" life. Too late, the damage was done.
:mad: :mad: :mad:

cubbex said:
Oh yeah, if not why would they want violence?? But an adult won't go out and harm others because has seen it in a videogame, it should be retarded or something like that to do it, and a child may do it without thinking about it.

Hubby and I had an interesting discussion with my niece once, in regard to video games. We were discussing video game violence, and my Hubby mentioned that he thought that the really violent games should be age restricted to adults over 21 years old. My niece agreed, stating that she had played "Grand Theft Auto" a few times at a friends house, and it made her so angry, she said she did want to ram someone with a car. :shock:

She also related that other people she knew, after playing such games, tended to be cruel, and find cruelty funny, even going so far as to laugh at the news, or make fun of anyone fallen on hard times.

We were discussing how teens and young adults' nervous systems were still in an adjustment from puberty, and not quite fixed perception wise to Reality and the cause/effect of actions. In my niece's case, she heartily agreed, and it appeared to unnerve her a bit. (We were also discussing her two brothers and, to her, their infuriating behavior and judgementalism).

It bothers me how so many teens and young adults are insulated from the real world to the point that, once they are on their own, they cannot cope with Life: the building and management of a household, paying bills, and basic life skills. My sister's children are this way, and as bad as it appears to others, its not a situation Hubby and I want to interfere in...and we are both thankful that, once it was clear that I couldn't get pregnant without extreme measures, we said "Ok" to the Universe and did not force the issue with adoption.

Kind of off topic at the end here, sorry...

Gimpy said:
She also related that other people she knew, after playing such games, tended to be cruel, and find cruelty funny, even going so far as to laugh at the news, or make fun of anyone fallen on hard times.

The last article of SOTT about being a vampire or a wizard explains a lot on the effects one may have when reading, or watching some story at the moment when we relate ourselves with the characters, to the point to start acting like them, and have a similar behavior. Now with pathological characters everywhere is not so weird to find people acting like that, I remember that is usual... and I don't know why I don't find the humor, that everytime someone by accident harm itself, everyone laughed at that person.

Cognitively speaking, playing a lot of violent games disassociates one to some degree from the real life pain/trauma one would experience if the situation really took place.

It makes the users become more likely to pick up a gun themselves if the situation allows it.

( drama -> see gun -> triggers memory of videogames -> pick up/use gun )

-

On the animé thing, the way the different characters are drawn don't ressemble asian characteristics at all. Actually it's quite the opposite. Drawing manga was used as a place where people with opposite qualities both physically and mentally could reinvent themselves.

Asian approx/generalisation:
dark hair
epicanthic fold
short, delicate body structure
shy

Animé characters:
blue, green, yellow, red, pink hair etc
big bright eyes with colors such as purple and red*
"lean n mean" / muscular / muscular-huge / extremely fast, generally superhuman
boasting, "look at me, look at my awesome technique I call it sword of the thousand petals of glory, it will rip you into pieces"

*see "Naruto" for a good example, where the pupils of those from the "Uchiha" clan change in battle.

Back
Top Bottom