Arky Chu Gong: Chateau morning exercise regime

Chu

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
For those of you who have asked to see our morning Arky Chu Gong routine, here it is:

You are allowed to laugh at our lack of coordination and bloopers. ;-) Let us know how it goes for you if you try it out!

You can follow along by playing the whole video, or, once you've learned the exercises, just make your own routine.

There is no way I could get my hands together behind my back. I also can't lean backwards to touch the ground with my knees and my back simultaneously.

There is no way I could get my hands together behind my back. I also can't lean backwards to touch the ground with my knees and my back simultaneously.
Difficulty aside, perhaps a question is what exercises could or would we be able to do, if we decided to use some time each day or each week for the benefit of our health and wellbeing. Not all people can do all types of exercises, but some? There are people who can do exercises one would not usually suspect, but then they probably have worked on it for a long time. The forum members in the video are not novices to exercise, and neither is the woman in this article: You Need to Watch This Woman Prove That Fat People Can Master Yoga

I think, the point of the exercises is not doing them perfectly in the beginning, but trying to get as far as one can get with each time doing them (while taking care on not hurting yourself by overdoing them). It's a matter of practice - and maybe of a long one - depending on the state certain muscles are in for certain exercises. Thus, with patience, probably many tries and time you may eventually get further as your muscles will adjust and become more flexible. :-)

I think, the point of the exercises is not doing them perfectly in the beginning, but trying to get as far as one can get with each time doing them (while taking care on not hurting yourself by overdoing them). It's a matter of practice - and maybe of a long one - depending on the state certain muscles are in for certain exercises. Thus, with patience, probably many tries and time you may eventually get further as your muscles will adjust and become more flexible. :-)

Exactly! Little by little. Most people who have been coming over for a visit cannot do everything at "full power" in the beginning. Some can do pushups like it's nothing, but when it comes to flexibility, they have a hard time. Others are the opposite. But most people are somewhere in between.

The reason we like this routine is that it allows you work on several things (balance, elasticity, strength...). But you may need months. And even then, sometimes it depends on your body structure. The best is to compare yourself to yourself, not to others, and see what you can do, each time trying a little harder, but not overdoing it.

Personally, I find it cool because I feel MUCH stronger than before. And symbolically speaking, working on the core muscles (not just the muscles you can see) makes me feel grounded, and more capable of Working on "core issues", what is important deep inside, the essence if you will, etc. Maybe it's a bit of a stretch (no pun intended), but IMO it helps. :-)

In the beginning you also need to take into account the will power it takes to just do it. Once it becomes a habit, you can focus more on bettering your posture and details. I've found that in general, for any habits, what works best is to commit to doing it for three weeks, without skipping (or never skipping for more than one day). Then, I start "expecting" it, and it's not a chore anymore. It's just good! I look forward to the feeling during and afterwards.

NOTE: Recently (after we made the video), we started adding a combination of the cobra, the locust and the bow. Minutes2-3 in this video:

We do the cobra and the locust at the same time, meaning that only your belly touches the ground, and we swing our arms to the sides and to the front. Then we do the bow.

Have fun!

Most people who have been coming over for a visit cannot do everything at "full power" in the beginning.

Um, I STILL can't do everything at full power after a couple of months!

Plus, the minute I accomplish something like headstand + lowering my legs slowly without falling over, Ark and Chu add a new thing! These people are crazy. ;-D

Actually, I think one of the primary hidden benefits from the whole routine is precisely that because it's so many different things, you can never do it all perfectly. So, it's a constant challenge, and you choose how to respond to that challenge. Do you get frustrated and give up before you even start?

I decided to just sort of focus on a few things, like: Do a better headstand, and improve balance (last exercise), and increase flexibility (for the legs apart in front of you, and then lean forward). The rest maybe I'll deal with later. For example, I really, REALLY can't do The Pretzel (where you're sitting and your legs and arms are all twisted together).

But I'm not so worried about upper body flexibility like that. It literally seems impossible for me to do. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but I just decided that's not one of my goals right now. Maybe later after headstand, balance, and lower body stretchiness.

Sometimes, it's fun to just to sit - and rest - and watch other people do something that I can't do!

Plus, every day is different. Sunday, certain parts were a bit tired since I went running on Saturday. Today, one of my feet was cramping. Tomorrow, who knows...

:guru: Wise man say: One must be like Zen river, where water flows gently and constantly. Water not expect to carve valley between mountains in 2 days. 🥢

I can't help but think that working out is one more topic one should add to the list of things that you can consult the "12 rules for life" about. Developing a healthy workout routine should include not comparing oneself with others but paying attention to the small changes your body will undergo.
I used to play team sports at school and was at times very competitive about it. Later in life, I discovered Yoga and was constantly frustrated as I am not very flexible or at least I wasn't because I notice changes that happen when I just concentrate on the routine and listen to what feels good for me. I don't think I will do a headstand ever. I hurt myself once trying it and my neck is my weak point as it is already. Therefore I take it as a tiny lesson for me to wait and watch when others are doing it.

I may add that it's not discouraging at all, but rather motivating :-D. I don't try to do things above my limits and can listen to my body. On the other hand I can do a crow posture more easily than many other people, likewise the plank. Most important for me is doing exercise regularly now, after 2½ month ago my psychotherapist 'prescribed' it to me along with going outside every day, and it's the best thing in a long time for improving my life.

Thanks for sharing. I enjoy very much the mixture between muscle strenghtening, balance and flexibilty...and the relaxed way each of you is exercising. I will start implementing them in my routine. Please continue posting videos like this one...if appropriate. It is very motivating to see you all doing the exercises ❤️.

For those of you who have asked to see our morning Arky Chu Gong routine, here it is:

You are allowed to laugh at our lack of coordination and bloopers. ;-) Let us know how it goes for you if you try it out!

You can follow along by playing the whole video, or, once you've learned the exercises, just make your own routine.

Wow. All have very good physical fitness even with bloopers. Ark very nice clothes, batman t-shirt, and super socks. Headstand always the best, someday I would like to stand on the head, I will start with this video.

Since I started the Arky Chu Gong routine, I feel more grounded and energized, even if I don't do it every day. It's also fun to see how your elasticity and strength increases with time. It's even more fun to do it with other people and in the end, it's always encouraging seeing how you feel more energized and uplifted. :thup:

Back
Top Bottom