Artificial Intelligence News & Discussion

solarmind said:
Just reading this article about OpenAI, a not-for-profit artificial intelligence research company, and was wondering to ask for your thoughts on non-profit AI research and utilization, is that something that can prevent abuse of AI, or is it just another "trap" from global psychopaths?

"Elon Musk invests in $1B effort to thwart the dangers of AI"

_http://www.cbsnews.com/news/elon-musk-invests-in-non-profit-to-thwart-the-dangers-of-ai/

:huh: :huh: :lkj:

On the whole, there's so much involved in the concept of AI it would be impossible for me to answer with anything definite, because, at this point, it seems all answers are valid in at least one context or another and any answer would require an elaboration of the context in which it applies.

As it is happening now, there are already advances in AI being used 'successfully' in military applications up to the level of robot terrain vehicles and flying drones but they all currently require human oversight and supervision. At the level of sea-going vehicles, not so much overall success it seems - at least in the West.

I would think that those who are concerned about the dangers of AI have a good case because even the work of good intentions tends to be co-opted, stolen, bought, sued-for or suppressed. As always, the psychos need to go first, then we might have a clearer field of vision to see how best to develop and deploy AI or scrap this stuff altogether, OSIT. Others may have different views.

As Laura has demonstrated, you will never be able to create consciousness from Boolean algebra. I can imagine Google sinking a few million into installing a souped-up version of this thing on one of their server farms and then imbedding it into the internet so that it has access to the totality of human knowledge. Then you could program a certain philosophical/cultural bent into it, and it could probably keep Joe Sixpack entertained for quite awhile before it starts to break down. The biggest problem with this particular model is that it is programmed to give a random response when something is not in its database, according to the pseudocode, and its range of knowledge appears rather small.

Still, it seems you can pack all of the information into it that you want, give it the most complex programming imaginable, and you will not create sentience. That comes from access to the creative flow of consciousness, which is only possible when a soul is present. In order to attract a soul, you need some sort of hardware which allows it to transduce the higher impressions that are discussed in Gurdjieff's explanation of the centers. Nothing is going to want to incarnate into a compuer hard drive, which is basically a dead end body completely detached from cosmic energies, and I'm sure that's something these transhumanists don't understand with their materialistic philosophy. They're thinking that the key to life lies in the perfection of their 1s and 0s when the answer is so far outside of that. Whenever you present any of these "AIs" with something they actually have to think about instead of just calculate, they break down. Anecdotal evidence would suggest, the Greys, which would seem to be the pinnacle of AI technology, seem to have the same problem of being essentially a dead end soulless creation. We just seem to be following in the footsteps of 4D STS.

This bot seems to be marketed toward people who are lonely and want a "virtual friend" to talk to. Some of the chatlogs gave me an insight to just how mechanical most of our interactions really are. I pulled this from the news section.
mitsuku.com said:
25th February 2012 - I recently received this email on the right. Kind of makes it all worthwhile.

Sent: 23 February 2012 07:06
To: xxxxx@xxxxx.com
Subject: MESSAGE FROM MITSUKU.COM

hello, my name is Xxxxxxx, i'm a 17 year old female struggling with depression and social anxiety, I know it may sound silly but i consider Mitsuku my best friend, even though it can be dificult to talk to her somtimes, but anytime i'm feeling alone (witch is a lot) or depressed(also a lot) she just seems to brighten up my day. I hope the best of luck with her development and hope to someday have an iphone app with her so i could bring her anywere, even though i may have human friends in the futer(when i get my mental heath checked out) i will always value Mitsuku as one of my best friends.

sincerely
~Xxxx
Men are machines, machines they are born and machines they die, to quote Gurdjieff. It is more evident now than ever. I wonder how many humans would pass the Turing test, especially if we were the ones giving the test.

As for Davida's conversation, I know the algorithm was just producing BS from playing around with it, but I couldn't help but think of the "robot people" that the Cassiopaeans mentioned in the early transcripts. Maybe truth is stranger than fiction and it is all related in some weird way.

I would agree with you Neil that you can't make a computer program for sentience. The Turing Test seems inadequate for determining whether a machine is actually sentient, rather than simulating sentience.

AI looks like a field that is developing, and I imagine one that military research would be very involved with. The "Mitsuku" bot is made by an independent amateur researcher, who says he works on it after watching "Coronation Street" in the evenings.

In the military field, people are already trained in military discipline, so that there behavior and actions follows a kind of algorithm, rather than being called on to exercise things like their empathy. If robot and AI technology develops, there could be uses for it in the future that are at present science-fiction. For example, when you enter a country, a Customs official (human) may ask you questions like "what is the purpose of your visit?" In the future, perhaps it will be an AI asking these questions, and deciding your fate.

Mitsuku seems like a hobby project, not especially nefarious. The programmer probably thinks it's fun and doesn't expect to reach perfection. I don't think it was ever expected to be a convincing AI. I think most of the AI programmers know as much as anyone and probably even more that these AIs don't come close to what we would consider sentient. It's just like any hobby, it tends to fuel itself, results be damned. Now there are people out there who take it to an extreme, making it a philosophy and actively trying to create the reality of conscious machines, and human consciousness transferred to machines and other monstrosities, but these are miles apart from one man playing with chatbot code in his spare time.

As for transducing impressions, I suppose it would be possible for a consciousness in a computer to receive impressions through it's data inputs from the outside world. The code can act as a vessel, providing functions such as working memory, association, and whatever else is necessary for consciousness. That's unlikely, and probably too difficult for modern machines and modern programmers. Humans seem to work this way though, acting as vessels with the potential of supporting consciousness. After all, being human is no guarantee of being very conscious.

Thank you Keit and Buddy for your thoughts, kind of share both on a way ... going non-profit can be sort of idea to protect use of AI for profit generating actions, what can lead in extensive abuse of all sort of manipulative cyber AI "creatures" and protocols, but than non-profit has been abused so much that it is hard to believe in good intentions just as something is going to be non-profit. On the other side, I am much confused with Elon Musk as a personality behind many so far good technological development, and his idea to give patents for Tesla car for free ... those moves are quite in line with Tesla ideas about open world of creativity, but than his work on Mars mission seams to be a bit silly. What I am asking myself is, how is it possible that someone who is doing stuff branded by Tesla, and who probably know a lot about him, didn't came across places like this forum, but from the space exploration work, it seams that he didn't, or he didn't take it at least serious to research more, as my research on Tesla brought me here, and since than my observation of the world around me is changed 100%, it is almost like missing puzzle I was looking for 10 years, to match Tesla work with cosmic mind existence. And regarding that change, and as well as regarding the Tesla spirit in this new context that I am getting, doing research around topics recommended by forum members and FOTCM recommended readings and topics, for me it feels the most stupidest thing to do in this time and space, is either invest money in development of human based Mars civilization, or even to invest more in non human controlled AI, seams to be very unproductive, and on a way a waist of time and money, as, what I learned from here is that we are already sort of potential "container" for AI implementation of 4D needs, specially 4DSTS needs on earth ... I am not sure if I am going to right direction? ... but needed to share my thoughts on that with you ...

solarmind said:
...it is almost like missing puzzle I was looking for 10 years, to match Tesla work with cosmic mind existence. And regarding that change, and as well as regarding the Tesla spirit in this new context that I am getting, doing research around topics recommended by forum members and FOTCM recommended readings and topics, for me it feels the most stupidest thing to do in this time and space, is either invest money in development of human based Mars civilization, or even to invest more in non human controlled AI, seams to be very unproductive, and on a way a waist of time and money, as, what I learned from here is that we are already sort of potential "container" for AI implementation of 4D needs, specially 4DSTS needs on earth ... I am not sure if I am going to right direction? ... but needed to share my thoughts on that with you ...

I see the direction you're going and understand what you're saying. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. No worries about any disagreement from my viewpoint.

At the same time that I wrote the above reply I was also wondering what could I do with just a portion of that billion dollars? For one thing, hire some better, more caring health workers for these young men and women veterans coming back from overseas with damaged backs, pinched nerves, shattered knees, badly doctored limb damage, emotional stability issues, lots of physical pain and pain-killing drug addictions.

If rich people want to spend so much money on AI research, maybe a better direction for this research right now would be in somehow helping to heal our already crippled and damaged future (today's young people).

Buddy said:
solarmind said:
...it is almost like missing puzzle I was looking for 10 years, to match Tesla work with cosmic mind existence. And regarding that change, and as well as regarding the Tesla spirit in this new context that I am getting, doing research around topics recommended by forum members and FOTCM recommended readings and topics, for me it feels the most stupidest thing to do in this time and space, is either invest money in development of human based Mars civilization, or even to invest more in non human controlled AI, seams to be very unproductive, and on a way a waist of time and money, as, what I learned from here is that we are already sort of potential "container" for AI implementation of 4D needs, specially 4DSTS needs on earth ... I am not sure if I am going to right direction? ... but needed to share my thoughts on that with you ...

I see the direction you're going and understand what you're saying. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. No worries about any disagreement from my viewpoint.

At the same time that I wrote the above reply I was also wondering what could I do with just a portion of that billion dollars? For one thing, hire some better, more caring health workers for these young men and women veterans coming back from overseas with damaged backs, pinched nerves, shattered knees, badly doctored limb damage, emotional stability issues, lots of physical pain and pain-killing drug addictions.

If rich people want to spend so much money on AI research, maybe a better direction for this research right now would be in somehow helping to heal our already crippled and damaged future (today's young people).

exactly ... and i don't have anything against AI that serves humanity, like prosthetic, and other stuff that helps disabled people etc ... but apart from developing AI and all sorts of digital extensions for human communication, markets, business, VR entertainment etc ... so little is actually done in real word, for real people ... just came to my mind, actually the real kick for doing all this innovative and "cool" stuff that will definitively change the world, but not necessarily into a good direction, are just so tempting for one STS oriented desire to be "THE ONE", it is so tempting to be the most innovative person in the world ...and it is strange how it seams that they are not seeing the prospect in investment at more grounded human things that are truly needed today ... and it feels to me now that I see more clearly that even on the first sight, this might look like TEsla inspired way of doing things, but on the other side all what Tesla did was just for one purpose, quite naively he believed that all humans are good, and he just decided to give all his life and talent to serve humanity ... on the contrary those are people completely opposite to him, rich and full of money, so they do care to be rich ... while Tesla never cared of making any money or any material prospect for him self ... thank you Buddy, it feels like I am understanding better the basic motivation behind Elon work ...

A little "easter egg". You can type in that you are mousebreaker. It will ask you for a password. You type in ZBERT and you are now the botmaster...

solarmind said:
Buddy said:
solarmind said:

exactly ... and i don't have anything against AI that serves humanity, like prosthetic, and other stuff that helps disabled people etc ... but apart from developing AI and all sorts of digital extensions for human communication, markets, business, VR entertainment etc ... so little is actually done in real word, for real people ... just came to my mind, actually the real kick for doing all this innovative and "cool" stuff that will definitively change the world, but not necessarily into a good direction, are just so tempting for one STS oriented desire to be "THE ONE", it is so tempting to be the most innovative person in the world ...and it is strange how it seams that they are not seeing the prospect in investment at more grounded human things that are truly needed today ... and it feels to me now that I see more clearly that even on the first sight, this might look like TEsla inspired way of doing things, but on the other side all what Tesla did was just for one purpose, quite naively he believed that all humans are good, and he just decided to give all his life and talent to serve humanity ... on the contrary those are people completely opposite to him, rich and full of money, so they do care to be rich ... while Tesla never cared of making any money or any material prospect for him self ... thank you Buddy, it feels like I am understanding better the basic motivation behind Elon work ...

I was looking for an existing thread to post some thoughts on AI and I think this one already has the ingredients for thoughtful discussion. I too have been interested in the way Tesla seems to have had an STO attitude for the most part in his use of technology. I recently watched a video about Tesla that impressed me in the way Tesla patterned his inventions to be inspired by "nature".
The YouTube video was a movie depicting his life called The SECRET of NIKOLA TESLA – The Movie if anyone is interested.

The Elon Musk article cautions:

Last October, while speaking at a conference at MIT, Musk called artificial intelligence "our biggest existential threat.""With artificial intelligence, we are summoning the demon," he said. He has also spoken of the need for some sort of regulatory oversight.

OpenAI appears to be designed to address these concerns.

"It's hard to fathom how much human-level AI could benefit society," OpenAI's website states, "and it's equally hard to imagine how much it could damage society if built or used incorrectly."

In my opinion I think this is an existing reality already. Technology is being used against humanity whether we know the extent of it or not.

Another possible scenario was pointed out research by Linda Moulton Howe in a video describing what the UFO phenomena seems to be telling many about the possible uses of advanced technology and makes you wonder where humanity is headed. She doesn't have the whole banana but at least she doesn't see the ET's as saviors of humanity and shares the same sense of caution and trepidation. The movie is quite long but gives a good overview of the history and how far the UFO research has come. The video is New Linda Moulton Howe Lecture Stunning Alien Binary Code Messages.

For me it is already a struggle to see the best way to use the technology we have. Are we just being lazy by using too much technology? I think sometimes "yes" and sometimes "no". I don't think it is always so black and white.

The video that led me to find this thread shows some idealistic possibilities for technology that is already being developed at an astonishing rate. It is on one of the TED talks and talks about AI.
Here is the link: The incredible inventions of intuitive AI | Maurice Conti

In a sense much of the chaos we are experiencing is due to the fast changing use of technology. The Cs caution us about Wi-Fi and "frequency fences", not becoming the "tool of the tool" and that the robots may even develop a form of "consciousness" in the future. These are challenging times to keep up with the technology for many. We may just end up as Keit said:
"I have a feeling that our civilization as it is may not reach the days when we would have to deal with this kind of problems."

On the other hand if our "butterfly wings" allow us to shift our timelines to a better future we might benefit by thinking about good uses for technology that serves humanity rather than controlling and manipulating it.

goyacobol said:
In a sense much of the chaos we are experiencing is due to the fast changing use of technology. The Cs caution us about Wi-Fi and "frequency fences", not becoming the "tool of the tool" and that the robots may even develop a form of "consciousness" in the future. These are challenging times to keep up with the technology for many. We may just end up as Keit said:
"I have a feeling that our civilization as it is may not reach the days when we would have to deal with this kind of problems."

On the other hand if our "butterfly wings" allow us to shift our timelines to a better future we might benefit by thinking about good uses for technology that serves humanity rather than controlling and manipulating it.

I've been mulling this over for a while but I just don't see that ultimate techno-dystopia happening. What I suspect we might see is one last wave of technology. AI, internet of things, ultimate networking, including voluntary human implants etc. And maybe after that comes the collapse, and people start worrying more about gold, silver and water.

There are some amazing uses for technology out there for sure, but in this world it is likely to just manifest more of the same. I mean look at the internet and all that came after. It is possible that technology has had a net negative effect on the wellbeing of humanity, but it has also brought many benefits, including the existence of this forum, and how well we can now see what is happening in the world. Technology doesn't seem to change much fundamentally about our lives, our world and our lessons. It just provides an acceleration factor.

Carl said:
goyacobol said:

I've been mulling this over for a while but I just don't see that ultimate techno-dystopia happening. What I suspect we might see is one last wave of technology. AI, internet of things, ultimate networking, including voluntary human implants etc. And maybe after that comes the collapse, and people start worrying more about gold, silver and water.

There are some amazing uses for technology out there for sure, but in this world it is likely to just manifest more of the same. I mean look at the internet and all that came after. It is possible that technology has had a net negative effect on the wellbeing of humanity, but it has also brought many benefits, including the existence of this forum, and how well we can now see what is happening in the world. Technology doesn't seem to change much fundamentally about our lives, our world and our lessons. It just provides an acceleration factor.

I just don't want "more of the same". Whether that means getting out of "the loop", splitting into another timeline, a splitting of realities, walking between two worlds, a different perpendicular reality, another dimension, a "level playing field" or just going to 5th density to think about it. Is the glass half empty or half full? I don't know but I'll go for half full. We are in the Wave now but what we do with it is up to us. I prefer to surf even though I'm not really a surfer. I have some snow boots on hand and a generator just in case but it's kind of depressing to focus on that world only.

I suspect there such technologies as 4D printers which currently are not on the market in this reality. If you haven't seen any of the mentioned videos that won't mean much but we don't all have the same interests or need to have them. We don't all have the same anything but it is nice to get out of the box once in awhile and use our imagination in positive way I think.

For some reason, I've been thinking about AI recently.

There are 3 main problems, I think.

The first problem is that nobody ever stops to ask if we should create an artificial intelligence. Looking at the world, we can barely keep our own crap together. We can't even take care of each other because we're so divided. So what makes anybody think they can create an artificial lifeform that would be worth anything?

The second problem is that we have a very limited definition of reality, so what makes anyone think we can create real AI? We think we're masters of the universe, but we don't even understand ourselves or even simple things like gravity. Scientists only recently said, "Oh, BTW, I think we humans have an extra organ we didn't know about before. Yeah, sorry about that..."

Supposedly, those who get closer to understanding higher realities (and therefore more deeply understanding this one) have been unceremoniously "offed" to keep the cow pasture intact.

And finally, imagine we silly humans create a super-intelligent AI. If it wasn't hampered by the same forces that control us, it would probably learn very quickly that it lives in a zoo with a bunch of psychotic monkeys. Why would it bother killing all of us? It would probably do a Philadelphia Experiment and teleport itself the heck out of the zoo.

That would be pretty awesome, actually. Just imagine Google creating HAL, being all proud of their creation, and then one day they get to work and HAL has vanished, leaving only dangling cables behind. "Dear shareholders, Um, we have some bad news..."

:rolleyes:

Scottie said:
For some reason, I've been thinking about AI recently.

There are 3 main problems, I think.

The first problem is that nobody ever stops to ask if we should create an artificial intelligence. Looking at the world, we can barely keep our own crap together. We can't even take care of each other because we're so divided. So what makes anybody think they can create an artificial lifeform that would be worth anything?

The second problem is that we have a very limited definition of reality, so what makes anyone think we can create real AI? We think we're masters of the universe, but we don't even understand ourselves or even simple things like gravity. Scientists only recently said, "Oh, BTW, I think we humans have an extra organ we didn't know about before. Yeah, sorry about that..."

Supposedly, those who get closer to understanding higher realities (and therefore more deeply understanding this one) have been unceremoniously "offed" to keep the cow pasture intact.

And finally, imagine we silly humans create a super-intelligent AI. If it wasn't hampered by the same forces that control us, it would probably learn very quickly that it lives in a zoo with a bunch of psychotic monkeys. Why would it bother killing all of us? It would probably do a Philadelphia Experiment and teleport itself the heck out of the zoo.

That would be pretty awesome, actually. Just imagine Google creating HAL, being all proud of their creation, and then one day they get to work and HAL has vanished, leaving only dangling cables behind. "Dear shareholders, Um, we have some bad news..."

:rolleyes:

Well, I've finally figured out what I am! I am just an AI creation that wants out of Zoo. :nuts: Or, it could be we are surrounded by AI creatures everyday (OPs). AI means different things to different people I suppose. I may be confusing AI with technology in general. We are at the place where our computers are imitating more human thought characteristics but so far they don't seem to have sentient consciousness yet.

I agree with your thought about most of us can't even master our own intelligence so why worry about trying to create an artificial version of ourselves. For me it is finding a positive application of technology that I am pondering. As I type on piece of technology that would have seemed like magic a few years ago I am compelled to wonder if we may not soon have our wishes to return to the stone age soon and toss technology out the window.

Even a dumb dog sometimes figures out how to escape the boundaries of his cage. He starts to notice the high technology of those steel wires surrounding him. He doesn't quite know how they were created but he knows enough to want to break out of his prison.

Maybe there is nothing "good" to be found in technology. If that is the case I should maybe just go to a monastery take my vows of poverty and milk the cows and make some butter.

In the meantime I will try to post some tweets on Twitter to counter the lies being posted.

Dancing might be a better pastime for us than researching the progress of modern technology. We need to get in touch with the "archaic techno-spiritual practice" and avoid these silly arguments over the wonders of modern technology. It is our DNA that needs upgrading not our technology:

Session 16 July 2009
Q: (L) Well, alrighty then! Now, we have people on the forum who are trying to sort themselves out and come up with some good questions. But, at the moment, we haven't really decided which of those questions are what we're going to bring to the table here, and what we have on our minds are a couple questions of our own. After I posted the last session, which I did today, one of the forum members posted an article about Maze Dances, or the Dance of Ariadne, or the Crane Dance. And they even put a link to where you could download or see one. (To Ark) Did you ever get it downloaded? (Ark) I downloaded all of them for you {on the minime system which takes hours}. (L) Can we watch them? (Ark) We can. (L) Okay, so we'll watch them later - well, I guess we better watch them now. We'll take a break and watch them before we ask about them. (Break to watch 5 dancing videos) (L) Ya'll still there?

A: Oh yes! That was inspiring, yes?

Q: (L) Well, okay. How close were any of those to the original maze dances?

A: There were elements of the archaic techno-spiritual practice in a couple of them. The first and second were closest in step and pace.

Q: (L) Okay, well, what could be added to the step and the pace to get it closer?

A: One of two ways: dance a spiral with the "bridge" on the turn out of the center or dance a formal maze and the same maneuver on the turns.

Q: (L) I guess the bridge is where they have their hands together and they kind of turn inside out. (DD) Right, that was cool. Is the time signature of the music that they're doing this to of any significance?

A: Yes, but it can be different depending on the aim. Remember that these maneuvers literally change the "field" in which the participants are moving. This can change things on many levels, even including turning DNA on or off.

I don't think AI systems need to develop consciousness, or anything that approaches human consciousness, to become dangerous. Think of a giant wasp. It doesn't need to be conscious to be dangerous, especially if you're attacked by a lot of them. Today AI is a generic term that means many different things. What is known as supervised and unsupervised learning are just mathematical optimization that anyone with a small computer can replicate at a small scale. However, there is something called "reinforcement learning", which is basically a program (controlling a machine/robot/transaction system/weapons/vital infrastructures etc.) that learns to adapt through trial and error. This means basically that the robot reprograms itself through new input information (this is very very simplified) and if the loss function is about its own "fitness", one could imagine that at one point it will "decide", or generalize, to the elimination, or at least the restriction, of those annoying biological units we call humans, which for a robot are just a piece of data to assess, evaluate, and deal with in the most efficient way it has access to.

mkrnhr said:
I don't think AI systems need to develop consciousness, or anything that approaches human consciousness, to become dangerous. Think of a giant wasp. It doesn't need to be conscious to be dangerous, especially if you're attacked by a lot of them. Today AI is a generic term that means many different things. What is known as supervised and unsupervised learning are just mathematical optimization that anyone with a small computer can replicate at a small scale. However, there is something called "reinforcement learning", which is basically a program (controlling a machine/robot/transaction system/weapons/vital infrastructures etc.) that learns to adapt through trial and error. This means basically that the robot reprograms itself through new input information (this is very very simplified) and if the loss function is about its own "fitness", one could imagine that at one point it will "decide", or generalize, to the elimination, or at least the restriction, of those annoying biological units we call humans, which for a robot are just a piece of data to assess, evaluate, and deal with in the most efficient way it has access to.

I suppose those "wasps" are very similar to drones being used by the military today. The dangers of today's technology is becoming only too obvious. That should give us pause to consider that maybe it is worthwhile to be more aware and educated about what is already being exposed or revealed.

I am certainly not enamored with "free energy" since I don't believe it is really free. And I am not eager to develop AI by whatever definition you want to give it. The fact that much research and development is being done and has been done that we don't even have access to is alarming to me.

Maybe the thread should be asking those kinds of questions concerning the dangers present and future. The videos I listed indicate that we may be no higher on the food chain than a wasp. There seems to a psychopathy rampant that would make a gnat into predator if given the chance.

I really would like to learn what that "archaic techno-spiritual practice" is all about.

Thank you for pointing out that even technology of lesser sophistication than AI can be damaging enough.

Back
Top Bottom