Bagels the old warrior.

Johnno

The Living Force
Well, today I had to make the decision whether to let my 16 old black cat Bagels to continue on, or to put him to sleep while he was under anesthetic on the vet's table. He had three growths in his throat and one was heading down into his lungs. He had been gasping and not eating over the past couple of days. He had undergone an examination and biopsy about a month before which only showed an infection, I'd kept him on a course of antibiotics but as of Saturday he started being very, very quiet.

Bagels was a classic alley cat. Some workmates found him as a small black kitten in a dumpster at a metal fabrication factory. I took him home, in the palm of my hand as he was quite tiny. On the first couple of days I'd thought I'd lost him but he turned up in a few odd places. Up the chimney, under the washing machine, in various cupboards and behind the fridge. He was a bit of a wild one nevertheless food seemed to calm him down a bit and boy could he EAT. It was something that would continue his whole life. Start the barbeque and he would appear out of no-where, I used to time him.....15 seconds tended to be the average. He grew up to be described as a "panther", big with an appetite to match.

Soon he tamed down with humans, however he still had a rather adventurous streak which was partly cured by de-sexing while young and mellowed more with age. Christmas trees, towels on the washing lines, other cats, possums, sticks, leaves, small dogs, large dogs were all fair game. A large German Shepherd which had him bailed up on a fence post one day left with a rather bloody nose as Bagels swiped him every time he got near. He protected his turf admirably and also being an escape artist, found his way outside during the nights. He'd come home beaten up a few times although he seemed to look rather proud of himself. I onetime caught him about 5kms from home!

One day, I came home from work and the next door neighbour rushed to tell me before I opened my door that they had seen him drag a 6 foot poisonous black snake inside. A very tentative search with rubber boots and a spade revealed nothing. Not sure if he ate it or it slithered away off the balcony to the bush below, I never found that snake. I taught him not to catch birds and lizards....mice and rats were ok.

The only thing that seemed to beat him was a large white cockatoo which took a chunk out of his ear, he seemed to be rather wary of parrots after that.

Vet trips to the medic were part of his life. Not so much from fights but more from misadventures. A suspected fall from a fence and encounter with either a car or a big fall. He suffered two paralysis ticks to which the vet was amazed how quickly he both recovered and was eating again. As I said to the vet, he's the most expensive free cat I've ever owned.

He was only an old warrior now and then, I suppose those are things I remember most. He had a wonderful gentleness about him most of the time. Like all cats he enjoyed the sun under his favourite lavender bush. He was extremely good with people and children, vets and visitors commented how pleasant he was, his deep purr would fill a room. another favourite spot was on my lap whilst on the computer. He used to like going for walks too!

So old Bagels had a couple of nicknames from people, soldier, panther, "the black flash", dog...I used to call him Bages or Bud.

I had to pick his body up from the vet a few hours ago. I heard myself say, "Time to go home Bud.". I'll miss him.

Attachments

• Keeping Watch Small.jpg
    Keeping Watch Small.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 162
Yes thank you Johnno for the tale of Bagels the old warrior and sorry for your loss :(; quite a life he shared with you indeed. :love:

I'm really sorry to hear about your loss Johnno. :cry: Sounds like Bagels lived a really full life. Thank you for sharing your story with us and may this old warrior RIP. :hug:

Sorry to hear that Johnno. From the obituary, he sounded like a real character. :halo:

Thanks for sharing, he seems to have been a freedom loving cat who lived life to the fullest. Condolances.

Touching report of your clever cat. Sorry for the loss. I have recently put my little dog down too and it is hard when they had been around for years.

So sorry for your loss, Johnno. :cry: Especially since it was rather unexpected. He seems to have been quite the character and a great companion.

May the old warrior rest in peace. :hug:

My condolences, Johnno. Bagels sounds like a wonderful companion and friend. May he rest in peace.

My condolences Johnno. He must have lived a very satisfying life with you by the sounds of it. Try to take some comfort from that if you can :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom