Bart D. Ehrman books - bouquets and daggers

Laura

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
In my "Caesar was the inspiration for Jesus" research, I've gone through a number of books by Bart Ehrman and Bruce Metzger, and some other historical/critical scholars of the Bible. I highly, HIGHLY, recommend them and I don't think I can say any one is better than the others. They are all fascinating and well written and convey a LOT of important information especially if you have dealings with believing Christians or have been one yourself (or are one).

I just finished "Jesus, Interrupted" today, and yesterday "God's Problem" and a couple days ago the Metzger/Ehrman book "The Text of the New Testament: Its Transmission, Corruption, and Restoration". I'm starting "Misquoting Jesus" and have "The Canon of the New Testament: Its Origin, Development, and Significance" in the pile.

Though not part of this topic strictly, I've also read MacDonald's "The Gospels and Homer: Imitations of Greek Epic in Mark and Luke-Acts" and "Does the New Testament Imitate Homer?: Four Cases from the Acts of the Apostles" and "The Homeric Epics and the Gospel of Mark". This is following reading the entire text of Dio Cassius' Roman History and all of Josephus along with a re-read of Atwill, Courteney, and a new book about Paul being a secret agent of the Romans.

Yes, I've found a LOT of good clues, but that's not the most important things about these books: they are edifying and really teach you how to think about many things.

Re: Bart D. Ehrman books - highly recommended

Laura said:
In my "Caesar was the inspiration for Jesus" research, I've gone through a number of books by Bart Ehrman and Bruce Metzger, and some other historical/critical scholars of the Bible. I highly, HIGHLY, recommend them and I don't think I can say any one is better than the others. They are all fascinating and well written and convey a LOT of important information especially if you have dealings with believing Christians or have been one yourself (or are one).

I just finished "Jesus, Interrupted" today, and yesterday "God's Problem" and a couple days ago the Metzger/Ehrman book "The Text of the New Testament: Its Transmission, Corruption, and Restoration". I'm starting "Misquoting Jesus" and have "The Canon of the New Testament: Its Origin, Development, and Significance" in the pile.

Though not part of this topic strictly, I've also read MacDonald's "The Gospels and Homer: Imitations of Greek Epic in Mark and Luke-Acts" and "Does the New Testament Imitate Homer?: Four Cases from the Acts of the Apostles" and "The Homeric Epics and the Gospel of Mark". This is following reading the entire text of Dio Cassius' Roman History and all of Josephus along with a re-read of Atwill, Courteney, and a new book about Paul being a secret agent of the Romans.

Yes, I've found a LOT of good clues, but that's not the most important things about these books: they are edifying and really teach you how to think about many things.

The book titles sound very interesting! I still have "Homer's Odyssey and the Near East" in my reading list. How does it compare to MacDonald's books?

Thanks Laura for your investigations and to give us the opportunity to learn. Those titles look very very interesting. And if these books can help us to grow and make us ask questions and look for answers, I think we should try to read them, put them in our "list to read", that is very long, yes indeed. Thanks again Laura!

Jesus Interrupted, God's Problem, and Misquoting Jesus, are all in the public library, just a block from where I live.
Signing them out tomorrow.
Thanks Laura. Looking forward to some very interesting and enlightening reading.

Thank you for all your suggestions, Laura, especially the ones dealing with Homeric texts and the Gospels. It's simply amazing to know how much we still have to learn about "Who wrote the bible"!

Laura, caution, caution!

I am sure you have heard of Richard Carrier. Surely, you have read his (in/famous) dissection of Ehrman which started when Carrier called out Ehrman in the Huffington Post for egregious errors and inaccuracies? Ehrman's response to Carrier's critique has been continuously dismal. Ehrman has shown no indication he is prepared to correct his errors.

Carrier recommends Jesus Interrupted but lambastes Did Jesus Exist:
Ehrman’s book was so full of gaffes it is simply unsalvageable, and as I said, it resembles in this respect some of the worst Jesus myth literature, which I can’t recommend to people either, as it will misinform them far more than inform them. (Scholars can also correct their errors. If they are inclined to. Ehrman, so far, does not seem at all inclined to.)

I could not list all the errors, fallacies, and misleading statements I marked up in my copy of his book. There were hundreds of them, averaging at least one a page. This shocked me, because all his previous works were not like this. They are superb, and I still recommend them, especially Jesus Interrupted and Forged. Their errors are few, and well drowned out by their consistent utility and overall accuracy in conveying the mainstream consensus on the issues they address (Interrupted is an excellent primer to get anyone up to speed on where the field of New Testament Studies now stands, and Forged is an excellent summary of why that mainstream consensus accepts that many of the documents in the New Testament are forgeries, and why that was known to be deceitful even back then, despite attempts to claim the contrary).

But Did Jesus Exist? was a travesty. In my review I chose a representative selection of the worst mistakes, in order to illustrate the problem. … Those errors are examples of consistent trends throughout the book, of careless thinking, careless writing, and often careless research. Which means there are probably many more errors than I saw, because for much of the book I’m trusting him to tell me correctly what he found from careful research, but the rest of the book illustrates that I can’t trust him to correctly convey information or to have done careful research.

Carrier calls Ehrman out on lies, false claims, umpteen logical fallacies, all individually exposed, ignoring of relevant scholarship, bungling a treatment of a key source. Carrier is meticulous in detailing the reasons for his positions, his whole method is exemplary of the way such discussion - any discussion - should be conducted. He keeps up the same level of excellence throughout the comments section on his blog, replying to anyone who writes in, whatever their level of informedness.

I thoroughly recommend: http://freethoughtblogs.com/carrier/archives/1794. This page logs the entire saga of their interaction, which is ongoing (Ehrman only dares to reply behind the paywall on his own blog!)

If you haven't come across this, I'm sure you're going to love it. It's continuous coruscation. I was held up for weeks in the pages of that blog.

As for Maurice Atwill… Scholarship operating at a crank level. And this is not a casual term of abuse, it's objective:
Carrier said:
Joseph Atwill is one of those crank mythers I often get conflated with. Mythicists like him make the job of serious scholars like me so much harder, because people see, hear, or read them and think their nonsense is what mythicism is. They make mythicism look ridiculous. So I have to waste time (oh by the gods, so much time) explaining how I am not arguing anything like their theories or using anything like their terrible methods,

Atwill is best known as the author of Caesar’s Messiah (subtitle: “The Roman Conspiracy to Invent Jesus,” Roman meaning the Roman imperial family…yeah). In this Atwill argues “Jesus [is] the invention of a Roman emperor” and that the entire (?) New Testament was written by “the first-century historian Flavius Josephus” who left clues to his scheme by littering secret hidden coded “parallels” in his book The Jewish War.

… Historically, Atwill’s thesis is more or less a retooled version of the old Pisonian Conspiracy Theory, by which is not meant the actual Pisonian conspiracy (to assassinate Nero), but a wildly fictitious one in which the Piso family invented Christianity (and fabricated all its documents) through its contacts with the Flavian family, and thence Josephus…

This pseudo-historical nonsense is over a century old by now, first having been proposed (in a somewhat different form) by Bruno Bauer in Christ and the Caesars in 1877 (Christus und Caesaren). It has been revamped a dozen times since. Atwill is simply the latest iteration (or almost–there is a bonkers Rabbi still going around with an even wilder version). Atwill’s is very much like Bible Code crankery, where he looks for all kinds of multiple comparisons fallacies and sees conspiracies in all of them, rather than the inevitable coincidences (or often outright non-correspondences) that they really are. Everything confirms his thesis, because nothing could ever fail to. Classic nonfalsifiability. He just cherry picks and interprets anything to fit, any way he wants.

Why the Priors Are Dismally Low on This
There are at least eight general problems with his thesis, which do not refute it but establish that it has a very low prior probability, and therefore requires exceptionally good evidence to be at all credible:

And so to Atwill's Cranked up Jesus - http://freethoughtblogs.com/carrier/archives/4664.

Which is as thorough a demolition of a hypothesis as you could wish for. Carrier includes the multipart conversation he carried out with Atwill himself. Atwill makes an increasing hash of defending his position and digs himself a hole so deep he gets to Australia and falls out the other end.

MacDonald gets a thumbs up from Carrier: His review of The Homeric Epics and the Gospel of Mark - http://infidels.org/library/modern/richard_carrier/homerandmark.html.
carrier said:
I assumed it would be yet another intriguing but only barely defensible search for parallels, stretching the evidence a little too far-tantalizing, but inconclusive. What I found was exactly the opposite. MacDonald's case is thorough, and though many of his points are not as conclusive as he makes them out to be, when taken as a cumulative whole the evidence is so abundant and clear it cannot be denied. And being a skeptic to the thick, I would never say this lightly. Several scholars who reviewed or commented on it have said this book will revolutionize the field of Gospel studies and profoundly affect our understanding of the origins of Christianity, and though I had taken this for hype, after reading the book I now echo that very sentiment myself.

…What is especially impressive is the vast quantity of cases of direct and indirect borrowing from Homer that can be found in Mark. One or two would be interesting, several would be significant. But we are presented with countless examples, and this is as cumulative as a case can get.

… Having read this book, I am now certain that the historicity of the Gospels and Acts is almost impossible to establish. The didactic objectives and methods of the authors have so clouded the truth with literary motifs and allusions and parabolic tales that we cannot know what is fact and what fiction. I do not believe that this entails that Jesus was a myth, however-and MacDonald himself is not a mythicist, but assumes that something of a historical Jesus lies behind the fictions of Mark. Although MacDonald's book could be used to contribute to a mythicist's case, everything this book proves about Mark is still compatible with there having been a real man, a teacher, even a real "miracle worker" in a subjective sense, or a real event that inspired belief in some kind of resurrection, and so on, which was then suitably dressed up in allegory and symbol.

However, the inevitable conclusion is that we have all but lost this history forever. The Gospels can no longer support a rational belief in anything they allege to have occurred, at least not without external, unbiased corroboration, which we do not have for any of the essential, much less supernatural details of the story … so long as it remains possible, even plausible, that the bulk of Mark is fiction, the contrary belief that it is fact can never be secure.

Carrier is a champion of critical thinking: he argues with every breath that familiarity with cognitive biases, memory errors, fallacy detection and avoidance as working tools is essential for every historian.

For what it's worth, he argues that hitherto the field of biblical study has lacked a methodology that can produce results that survive the closest rational examination, like findings in the field of science. And has evolved a method, based on Bayes mathematical theorem, which can be applied to historical questions in general, but specifically to knotty details in the field of scriptural studies. His Bayesian method is essentially a way of sifting all available evidence, to exclude logical impossibilities, and calculate resultant probabilities to produce an answer with a definite probability weighting. As near to certainty as you're going to get in the field of bible studies?

Carrier documents how he moved to an extreme mythicist position: there is no proof for a historical Jesus that he can see that withstands examination. The wider Christian world is blithely unaware that the evidence of for Jesus's existence hangs by the merest thread. To be precise: evidence of historicity hangs on a reference to Jesus via a reference to James being his brother.

The statement is in Mark, which is itself an inherently doubtful source - a hagiography full of fictions, which claims the 'sun was deleted for three hours'.
Carrier said:
Ironically, McGrath is only digging the grave of historicity. By demonstrating that it can only be defended by illogical and disingenuous argumentation devoid of any coherent relation to what historicity’s critics actually say, eventually people will notice that this means historicity cannot be defended by any honest and competent argument.

Just look at all the evidence:

Josephus - forgery + hearsay = 0
Tacitus - hearsay + possible forgery = 0
Gal. 1:19 - possible interpolation + possible misinterpretation = 0

0 + 0 + 0 = 0

See, absolutely no room for doubting the existence of Jesus at all..."He most certainly did exist" - Bart Ehrman.

It sounds as if you have been trending in the direction of a Jesus story which is myth deriving from a person whose existence is well attested. Julius Caesar… Hm… Have you considered having your synopsis peer-reviewed for basic plausibility? It could literally save you years of work.

Be said:
Laura, caution, caution!

I am sure you have heard of Richard Carrier. Surely, you have read his (in/famous) dissection of Ehrman which started when Carrier called out Ehrman in the Huffington Post for egregious errors and inaccuracies? Ehrman's response to Carrier's critique has been continuously dismal. Ehrman has shown no indication he is prepared to correct his errors.

Carrier recommends Jesus Interrupted but lambastes Did Jesus Exist:...

It sounds as if you have been trending in the direction of a Jesus story which is myth deriving from a person whose existence is well attested. Julius Caesar… Hm… Have you considered having your synopsis peer-reviewed for basic plausibility? It could literally save you years of work.

Well even Carrier likes Ehrman's early work and that's the work Laura is reading. Also you can read books for the data even if you disagree with the conclusions. Carrier isn't perfect even if he has good data too. That Bayes theorem stuff is a bit silly I think.

http://irrco.wordpress.com/2012/09/08/a-mathematical-review-of-proving-history-by-richard-carrier/

But ultimately I think the book is disingenuous. It doesn't read as a mathematical treatment of the subject, and I can't help but think that Carrier is using Bayes's Theorem in much the same way that apologists such as William Lane Craig use it: to give their arguments a veneer of scientific rigour that they hope cannot be challenged by their generally more math-phobic peers. To enter an argument against the overwhelming scholarly consensus with "but I have math on my side, math that has been proven, proven!" seems transparent to me, more so when the quality of the math provided in no way matches the bombast.

Here's another Carrier review quote:

http://www.raphaellataster.com/articles/review-richard-carrier2014.html

In Chapters 9 and 10, the Gospels and Acts of the Apostles are largely omitted also, as they are unreliable, and these relatively late mixtures of myth and (at least what purports to be) history would be expected if a celestial/mythical Jesus was later historicised and if a historical Jesus later became mythicised. This may surprise Gospel proponents, but the logic is sound. The mythicist theory is not simply `Jesus did not exist', which the Gospels would seemingly contradict (if they were reliable), but that Christians originally believed in a celestial Jesus, and later attempted to place him in a historical setting. As such, the Gospels pose no problem to the mythicist theory."

From an overall abductive reasoning model-making point of view, this is a horrible thing to do. Acts is known to be based on Josephus. Using Carrier's own words hints at why you want to really look at the Gospels/Acts and not just throw it out for some silly Bayes Theorem reason:

http://infidels.org/library/modern/richard_carrier/lukeandjosephus.html

L by appealing to these checks is cut short by the fact that he appears to have gotten all this information from Josephus, and simply cut-and-pasted it into his own "history" in order to give his story an air of authenticity and realism. He could thus, for all we know, have been writing historical fiction--using real characters and places, and putting them in fictional situations, all dressed up as history--history with a message, and an apologetic purpose.

For the overall model, you really need to check out the known "real characters and places". From Josephus via Acts/Luke there is Saul the Herodian and Judas of Galilee to check out. Looking for the rest of the Gospel truth can most certainly take you even farther back to Julius Caesar via Francesco Carotta, Joseph Atwill, Gary Courtney, and Laura. Paul was into the resurrected Christ as a hope but in order to have that be a hope, that Christ had to be like us on earth at sometime though that would seem to be fairly long before Paul cause Paul really doesn't seem like he talked to people who knew Jesus personally. Julius Caesar would be fairly long before Paul.

Be said:

Actually, you are trending in the way wrong direction on all of the points you have made above, and especially your use of Carrier who has as many biases as Ehrman does though in the opposite direction.

Let me just give you a few hints here: yes, I think Atwill is something of a crank because he's got an axe to grind. Same for Unterbrink and several others. I even think that Carotta has taken his idea a bit too far.

Ehrman also still clings to belief that Jesus - as Jesus - was real. However, what is valuable about his work is the presentation of the "history of Christianity" through the history of the textual changes which reveal quite clearly how the theology developed OVER TIME.

What Ehrman - and most of them - do not even take into account is an INITIAL falsification of the first gospel(s) being at the root of everything.

For example, the way Ehrman treats Mark 1:41 in "Misquoting Jesus". (pp. 133-39) His solution about the anger of Jesus is undoubtedly correct in respect of the text. However, his explanation is weak or non-existent.

However, if you turn to MacDonald's "The Homeric Epics and the Gospel of Mark", you discover that the "recognitions" play an essential role in the epic. From his analysis, you realize that MOST of Mark is modeled on the Odyssey and its characters play roles derived from Greek models (same as in the Old Testament, in fact). As MacDonald writes about Mark's Jesus:

Odysseus and Jesus both sail seas with associates far their inferiors, who weaken when confronted with suffering. Both heroes return home to find it infested with murderous rivals that devour the houses of widows. Both oppose supernatural foes, visit dead heroes, and prophesy their own returns in the third person. A wise woman anoints each protagonist, and both eat last suppers with their comrades before visiting Hades, from which bot return alive. In both works one finds gods stilling storms and walking on water, meals for thousands at the shore, and elegant solutions to some of the most enigmatic and disputed aspects of the Gospel: its depictions of the disciples as inept, greedy, cowardly, and treacherous; its interest in the sea, meals, and secrecy; and even its mysterious reference to the unnamed young man who fled naked at Jesus' arrest. But Mark did not steal from the epics, he transvalued them by making Jesus more virtuous and powerful than Odysseus and Hector. Like Hector, Jesus dies at the end of the book, his corpse is rescued from his executioner, and he is mourned by three women. But unlike Hector, Jesus is raised from the dead. Mark may have cut his literary teeth on epic, which also might explain a major incongruity in his composition: despite its rustic, at times barbaric Greek, the Gospel's literary achievement is brilliant... Homeric radiation.

MacDonald's analyses reveal that the first gospel was a DELIBERATE literary creation. And this is where Atwill, Unterbrink, Carotta, and others have provided additional valuable information about other currents flowing through society at the time that were utilized by the creator of Mark to piggy-back his mini-epic right into the consciousnesses of the gullible public.

Mark's CHARACTER Jesus is a conflation of Unterbrink's Judas the Galilean and Carotta's Julius Caesar AND Homer's Odysseus. Almost everything else that is wrapped around this character (who is taken out of space and time into mythical time and space) is derived from classical literature via the known methods of Transvaluative Hypertext. What I have found is that even these Homeric re-configurations are sometimes based on real events in the history of the time.

I also think that the reference to Christians in Tacitus is an interpolation because the text (about the fire of Rome) works much better without it. Plus, Dio Cassius tells the story without reference to Christians. However, there is an amazing correspondence between a story in Tacitus and a couple of stories in Josephus that I'm having some difficulty explaining away and they just happen to surround the infamous "Testimonium Flavianum." I don't think anybody else has ever noticed this. Atwill notices the stories in Josephus and how bizarre they are and creates an elaborate theory about why Josephus did this, but he doesn't realize that these two stories are based on a real situation in Rome that was recorded by Tacitus and I hope you realize what THAT means. I'll spell it out: Tacitus wrote/published AFTER Josephus.

So, there is a lot going on here and my intent is that other people should read the books that begin to point the way to solutions and think about them. You obviously are not familiar with the way I work and/or think or you would not have gotten your undies in such a bunch because I recommended these books. Ehrman's work is loaded with valuable information that begins to strip away the illusions about the Biblical texts. One has to start somewhere and it would be useful for members of this forum to be familiar with the principles of historical/text criticism especially since I send them out to read all kinds of texts all the time.

So, thanks for all your warnings, but they are not even relevant nor useful here.

Bluelamp said:
Carrier isn't perfect even if he has good data too. That Bayes theorem stuff is a bit silly I think.

http://irrco.wordpress.com/2012/09/08/a-mathematical-review-of-proving-history-by-richard-carrier/

But ultimately I think the book is disingenuous. It doesn't read as a mathematical treatment of the subject, and I can't help but think that Carrier is using Bayes's Theorem in much the same way that apologists such as William Lane Craig use it: to give their arguments a veneer of scientific rigour that they hope cannot be challenged by their generally more math-phobic peers. To enter an argument against the overwhelming scholarly consensus with "but I have math on my side, math that has been proven, proven!" seems transparent to me, more so when the quality of the math provided in no way matches the bombast.

Yes. I've got Carrier's book in the stack and if he has anything useful, it will be included in the final analysis so thanks for this preview. Ark recently did some work on probability so I'll be having him take a look at this aspect of Carrier's work. Ehrman makes an argument about probability and history that was sort of weasely in my opinion...

Bluelamp said:
Here's another Carrier review quote:

http://www.raphaellataster.com/articles/review-richard-carrier2014.html

In Chapters 9 and 10, the Gospels and Acts of the Apostles are largely omitted also, as they are unreliable, and these relatively late mixtures of myth and (at least what purports to be) history would be expected if a celestial/mythical Jesus was later historicised and if a historical Jesus later became mythicised. This may surprise Gospel proponents, but the logic is sound. The mythicist theory is not simply `Jesus did not exist', which the Gospels would seemingly contradict (if they were reliable), but that Christians originally believed in a celestial Jesus, and later attempted to place him in a historical setting. As such, the Gospels pose no problem to the mythicist theory."

Actually, the early Christians did not believe in a celestial Jesus that they attempted to place in a historical setting. It's almost impossible to figure out what the early "Christians" actually did think/believe because the earliest gospel was a fraudulent production. However, Ehrman does a pretty good job of trying to get back to that.

Bluelamp said:
From an overall abductive reasoning model-making point of view, this is a horrible thing to do. Acts is known to be based on Josephus. Using Carrier's own words hints at why you want to really look at the Gospels/Acts and not just throw it out for some silly Bayes Theorem reason:

http://infidels.org/library/modern/richard_carrier/lukeandjosephus.html

L by appealing to these checks is cut short by the fact that he appears to have gotten all this information from Josephus, and simply cut-and-pasted it into his own "history" in order to give his story an air of authenticity and realism. He could thus, for all we know, have been writing historical fiction--using real characters and places, and putting them in fictional situations, all dressed up as history--history with a message, and an apologetic purpose.

For the overall model, you really need to check out the known "real characters and places". From Josephus via Acts/Luke there is Saul the Herodian and Judas of Galilee to check out. Looking for the rest of the Gospel truth can most certainly take you even farther back to Julius Caesar via Francesco Carotta, Joseph Atwill, Gary Courtney, and Laura. Paul was into the resurrected Christ as a hope but in order to have that be a hope, that Christ had to be like us on earth at sometime though that would seem to be fairly long before Paul cause Paul really doesn't seem like he talked to people who knew Jesus personally. Julius Caesar would be fairly long before Paul.

Exactly.

What I have found in addition to the Homeric impositions in Mark (which thereby made it into the other gospels), is that there is a lot of Homer in Josephus, too. Well, that's understandable for the earlier part of Antiquities since Homer is also in the Septuagint. But I mean more specifically, when Josephus gets around to the later history.

Imitations of Homer appear in Jewish prose. It seems that the author of Tobit borrowed extensively from the Odyssey, so Josephus is not the first! The author of Tobit, who wrote in Aramaic, obviously didn't expect a later text critic to place his translated text side by side with the Greek model, but one suspects that Josephus expected his readers to detect and appreciate his free adaptations.

Josephus' "Jewish War" is written in very good Greek which is attributed to the assistants that he had for this commissioned work. His later "Antiquities" is apparently written by him and the Greek is more "barbaric and rustic", pretty much the same as the gospel of Mark. I would suggest that Josephus wrote the book of Mark. That doesn't mean that there wasn't an earlier Mark that was really an account of the life and death of Caesar, but what IS clear is that a whole lot of Homeric scenes were transvalued into the story.

If you read Josephus' autobiography, you find that there are scenes in there that you also find in the gospels though with some Homeric re-working. Was Josephus aware of this and consciously representing himself as the "type" of Jesus? Or did someone else do that?

The Jesus of Luke was clearly a very different animal - a divine or semi-divine being. Ehrman brings this out very clearly in several of his analyses. It's thought that the author of Luke was also the author of Acts and we see a lot of Josephus in Acts. Did he do it or did someone else with a different theological agenda come along and do it based on his work?

What about Matthew, the most "Jewish" of the Gospels?

All of these most interesting questions are dealt with in the terms of text criticism in Ehrman and even if we cannot be satisfied with the fact that text criticism can only take you as far back as the most ancient text, we can certainly learn to appreciate what WAS going on back then as revealed in the changes to the texts.

One thing that strikes me as odd is the fact that Tacitus and Dio Cassius NEVER rely on Josephus for history AT ALL. He is mentioned in Dio Cassius as a Jewish prophet, more or less, but none of Josephus' claims about himself or his history can be verified by anyone else. When there is a conflict between Dio or Tacitus and Josephus, I find it to be utterly astonishing that so many historians will accept the witness of Josephus. I even have doubts about Josephus history of Herod the Great derived from the now mostly lost works of Nicolaus of Damascus. I think he added in a LOT of stuff that Nicolaus never wrote.

The bottom line seems to be that Josephus was a liar, a forger, a double-dealing, two-faced narcissist and dealing with him is sometimes actually sickening. With his finger in the pie back then, we are faced with a real problem sorting things out. I only wish that other historians would really get a handle on this fact.

I notice that Carrier has written a glowing review of MacDonald's work which I mentioned in the opening post as essential to read along with Ehrman.

http://infidels.org/library/modern/richard_carrier/homerandmark.html

This is an incredible book that must be read by everyone with an interest in Christianity. MacDonald's shocking thesis is that the Gospel of Mark is a deliberate and conscious anti-epic, an inversion of the Greek "Bible" of Homer's Iliad and Odyssey, which in a sense "updates" and Judaizes the outdated heroic values presented by Homer, in the figure of a new hero, Jesus (whose name, of course, means "Savior"). When I first heard of this I assumed it would be yet another intriguing but only barely defensible search for parallels, stretching the evidence a little too far-tantalizing, but inconclusive. What I found was exactly the opposite. MacDonald's case is thorough, and though many of his points are not as conclusive as he makes them out to be, when taken as a cumulative whole the evidence is so abundant and clear it cannot be denied. And being a skeptic to the thick, I would never say this lightly. Several scholars who reviewed or commented on it have said this book will revolutionize the field of Gospel studies and profoundly affect our understanding of the origins of Christianity, and though I had taken this for hype, after reading the book I now echo that very sentiment myself.

Pretty much my reaction. It's also particularly significant when taken in view of Gmirkin's work on Homer and the Old Testament.

I also see the hand of Josephus in the writing/re-writing of "Mark" which originally MAY have been a recap of Caesar's life and assassination and the script for a mystery play that was performed as an initiatory rite/commemoration.

In my opinion, Judaism only became a significant blip on the global radar of tribes BECAUSE Josephus piggy-backed his "Jewish Messiah" on Julius Caesar. That then drew attention and elevation to the "ancient history of the Jews" WRITTEN in 272 BC and all the horrors of Western civilization followed. In a religio/ethno sense, Judaism as formulated by the authors of the Septuagint, and vigorously promoted by Josephus both via his claimed works and his re-writing of the story of Caesar as being really the story of a law-abiding Jewish prophet, represents a sociological example of the activities of that 1% pathology that corresponds to a similar percentage of psychopaths in a normal human population. In this event: the creation of Christianity, we can see how this pathological view got in and took over.

It is unlikely that Josephus imagined what would happen as a result of his creative "fun", that a religion would grow and evolve that would turn against Jews in the way that it did. He just wanted to lay some serious blame and guilt on the "bad Jews" that, in his view, caused the war and the destruction of Jerusalem and give credibility to the "good Jews", including this great Jesus the Messiah guy.

Josephus (assuming that he did the deed which seems highly possible and even probable) may even have been one of the "bad Jews" that helped to cause the war. If you read his bio carefully, you see that he really protests too much. Of course, he may very well have been a Roman double-agent as he was accused of being in his own time. That's one way to explain his survival vis a vis Vespasian and Titus.

A friend of mine recently returned my 'Complete Works of Josephus', having borrowed it for the last 21 years! Nearly a thousand pages, that's some reading to get into.
I can only admire the effort you put in, Laura, to read as much as you do.
There's enough in this one book to keep me going for years!

I hope you are recovering nicely, best wishes.

I asked Ehrman on his blog if he had read MacDonald. His reply:

Yes, he's very smart and has a very clever thesis. I'm afraid I don't go along with it, but it's certainly thought provoking.

Ehrman is a very smart guy too; not only that, he's super empathic and writes marvelously well. I think he just hasn't yet reached the bottom in his search for the truth so that he can open his mind wide enough to take onboard some additional ideas.

I would say that the evidence that MacDonald presents is extremely compelling. Taken together with the evidence from Gmirkin, Josephus, Tacitus, Dio Cassius, AND the evidence from the harder sciences: astronomy, geo-archaeology, etc, and the picture is beginning to come rather more clear. There is simply no way to really understand what was going on in religion without factoring in repeating cosmic catastrophes and psychopathology.

Still, I very much enjoy reading Ehrman and I think he has a lot of value to add, most especially his vast knowledge of the texts that concern me. He also comes across as a very nice guy not to mention the fact that he writes in a clear and engrossing way.

Ehrman does seem quite nice which I had noticed too from his blog when Ehrman vs Carrier was being talked about in Amazon's Christianity forum. Ehrman referred to Carrier as a not nice person and that certainly seemed to be true from Carrier's unnecessarily harsh words for Ehrman. I'm reading Jesus, Interupted!

Bluelamp said:
Ehrman does seem quite nice which I had noticed too from his blog when Ehrman vs Carrier was being talked about in Amazon's Christianity forum. Ehrman referred to Carrier as a not nice person and that certainly seemed to be true from Carrier's unnecessarily harsh words for Ehrman. I'm reading Jesus, Interupted!

Well, I was so upset with Ehrman last night I didn't get to sleep until 3 a.m. I began reading his book on the historical evidence for Jesus. I swear, it can't be written by the same "driven-for-truth" guy; either that or he's going senile. His arguments about the Testimonium Flavianum are either intellectually dishonest or academically incompetent. Ark pointed out that this was better than being intellectually incompetent or academically dishonest, which Ehrman is not.

I quite agree with him that there WAS a "historical Jesus" though my take on it is that there was a lot of bricolage in creating the "history" from many quarters with many agendas in operation. There was certainly no Jesus of Nazareth as depicted by the gospels.

Ehrman also takes off on "conspiracy theories" forgetting his own "conspiracy theories" throughout all of his other books. At least the fundies would accuse him of that.

He also goes on about needing to be an accredited "expert" in any given field in order to be considered competent to expound on it. Well, sorry! Academia is so corrupt that this is almost a joke.

I think he's taken his own new "theology" a bit too much to heart: the one he came up with at the end of "God's Problem" which is basically, eat, drink and be merry because that's all you get.

Yeah that's the book that caused comments on Amazon's forum like "Ehrman's lost his way".

Ehrman certainly notices all the later forgeries and insertions and realizes the Gospels aren't reliable, seems he can't see it as anything other that a Jewish start. Having the Jewish start already a messed up history is apparently too conspiracy-like for many (like with Atwill). Ehrman kind of just sees in effect Jesus aka Judas of Galilee as the only historical guy around whom lots of stories (often conflicting) get created. He can't connect those stories to anything not Jewish even if he thinks MacDonald is thought provoking. He even focuses down to Q and the Gospel of Thomas nicely; be nice if he could get a little Mack-like inspiration doing that.

He kind of nicely sees the Jesus/Paul end times Kingdom/judgment stuff as an earthly event (no rapture to heaven-like thing) but yeah he sees nothing interesting in Paul's visions just maybe some kind of dream or something; not surprised he has a this is all there is view.

The Academic world (actually the whole world) seems a bit too turf protecting.

Back
Top Bottom