Beauty Chemical Replacements

Do you think it matters if the Rhassoul Clay is organic or not. I have found unorganic clay quite cheap on ebay.uk and amazon but I'm unsure about the quality

I've found out a lot about clay recently :lol: I now use the Rhassoul (Ghassoul) Clay to clean my hair, and seriously guys this is amazing stuff! I feel like I've jumped back over a year and am using actual shampoo again, it's never been so clean.

Never thought of using clay for brushing your teeth! :D

Never thought of using clay for shampooing hair! Cool!

Thorn said:
Do you think it matters if the Rhassoul Clay is organic or not. I have found unorganic clay quite cheap on ebay.uk and amazon but I'm unsure about the quality

I don't think it really matters as the clay is a natural product anyway. I bought this one from amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0065J4DNA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

Ghassoul, Rhassoul, Moroccan Red Clay
100% Pure and Natural
500g
Aromatherapy
Skincare

I was wondering if anyone has tried a natural remedy for dry scalp and dandruff that worked for them?

What worked for me: washing hair only 2 or once a week (body shower everyday, without washibg hair) and using Aleppo soap on hair. The first times, Aleppo soap on hair seemed inadequate but then, I saw how natural and soft it was for both hair and skin. The change was dramatic for me, after 6 months of perseverance: zero dandruff, nearly no more hair on my brush.

I was wondering if anyone has tried a natural remedy for dry scalp and dandruff that worked for them?

I'm still struggling with this as well. I've partially tied it to being triggered from spices, but not all the time. On the Objective:Health podcast about skin heath I think it was Elliot who mentioned that Zinc and maybe Vit E (IIRC) helped with dry skin. Might be worth a listen.
For me a shower filter that softens and purifies the water from heavy metals, chlorine and other contaminations helped a lot.

This is interesting. Ideally it would be nice to have the entire house fitted with some sort of water filter where the water comes in directly. Judging from how long the Berkey carbon filters take to filter water I didn't think there would be much point getting a shower filter. Is this a type of shower head or is it fitted onto the water pipe that goes into the shower?

What worked for me: washing hair only 2 or once a week (body shower everyday, without washibg hair) and using Aleppo soap on hair. The first times, Aleppo soap on hair seemed inadequate but then, I saw how natural and soft it was for both hair and skin. The change was dramatic for me, after 6 months of perseverance: zero dandruff, nearly no more hair on my brush.

Real Aleppo soap is near impossible to purchase these days due to the destruction of Syria. Some producers have now moved to other countries, such as Lebanon, but the quality seems different. No wonder, proper Aleppo soap has to be matured for a couple of years, the one I used to buy was matured for 6 years. If purchased today, it would make it 2013 when the war was raging over there. I get the impression that some foreign producers decided to use the Aleppo soap label and capitalise on it.

The "Aleppo soap" available is quite expensive, even though it's not really Aleppo soap anymore, so it may be a good idea to just purchase any olive oil and laurel oil soap without the expensive "Aleppo soap" label. If the real thing isn't available then any good quality substitute will do I guess.

Alternatively it may be possible to track down a real Aleppo soap producer who moved their business abroad and purchase from them. That's hard to do though, some Amazon suppliers claim their soap is made by Aleppo producers now working abroad but don't name the producers, so this claim cannot be verified. If anyone has tracked down a Syrian Aleppo soap maker - please share the details - I'm a huge fan of Aleppo soap myself :-)

This is interesting. Ideally it would be nice to have the entire house fitted with some sort of water filter where the water comes in directly. Judging from how long the Berkey carbon filters take to filter water I didn't think there would be much point getting a shower filter. Is this a type of shower head or is it fitted onto the water pipe that goes into the shower?

The filter I use is similar to this one:

it is not exactly the same model but has similar properties, the price isn't high either, so I think it's worth a try.

Thank you all for your replies :flowers: I'll give the Aleppo soap a try. @Ant22, this Dutch webshop sells Aleppo soap, it looks legit to me: Link, they also ship abroad.

Website of the Najel brand that sells them: Link

Twenty-two years later, they are now completely dedicated to this activity, employing about fifteen people in France and 80 in Syria during the production season and then about twenty the rest of the year and have extended their product range to include natural and organic cosmetic treatments for the face, body and hair.

So Manar and Catherine Najjar devoted themselves to the manufacture and export of this legendary green Aleppo gold from Villeurbanne, in the Lyon area. In Syria, it is Manar's brother Samer who supervises production, from the harvesting of the olives and bay laurel berries to the drying of the soaps, a process which takes 9 months, in the family soap factory located in the north of Aleppo. Since 2011, and despite the Syrian conflict, the family has been working to continue production. This continuity enables many Syrian families to work and to live.

You could also try eating more liver and or taking riboflavin 300 mg supplement.
This article is quite interesting- Skin Condition Series | Dandruff
The supplements that you can take to improve dandruff include:
B Vitamins

Riboflavin of Vitamin B2 aids in the elimination of dandruff. It plays a vital role in maintaining the health of scalp by facilitating the uptake of oxygen in the skin of the scalp. Dandruff can indicate a deficiency of vitamin B6. According to studies, persons suffering from dandruff usually have low levels of vitamin B6. Dandruff can also be caused due to deficiency of biotin, which is another member of B vitamins. Biotin also promotes growth of hair. Vitamin B12 deficiency can result in dryness of the scalp. It also increases scaling of the scalp skin. Since, vitamin B12 is naturally found in dairy products and meat, the risk of having dandruff due to deficiency of vitamin B12 is higher in vegans and vegetarians. Highly preliminary studies done in the 1950s and 60s suggest that folate when taken orally or vitamin B6 when applied topically may relieve some symptoms of dandruff

And this one- 10 ways to get rid of dandruff naturally

4. Omega-3 fatty acids
Omega-3 supplements can help improve skin and hair health.
Omega-3 fatty acids may lower blood pressure, increase "good" HDL cholesterol levels, and support heart and brain health. A deficiency in this fatty acid can result in adverse symptoms, such as dandruff, brittle nails, and dry skin.

Omega-3s provide several skin benefits, such as

managing oil production
  • regulating inflammation
  • improving hydration
  • reducing signs of aging
Foods containing large quantities of omega-3s include salmon, mackerel, and walnuts. People can also take omega-3 supplements.

The National Institutes of Health (NIH) recommend that most adults consume 1.1 to 1.6 grams of omega-3 fatty acids per day.

Omega-3 fatty acids are available in pharmacies, health food stores, and online.

[snip]

6. Baking soda
Sodium bicarbonate, which many people know as baking soda, may help reduce dandruff. Baking soda is an exfoliant that can remove excess skin cells and oil on the scalp.

Baking soda also possesses antifungal properties that may help fight the fungus responsible for dandruff.

Baking soda has a very high pH level, which can damage the scalp if a person uses it too frequently. Using too much baking soda can strip the hair of its natural oils, which can cause dryness or irritation, so people should use it in moderation.

Baking soda is available in most grocery stores, health food stores, and online.

7. Zinc
Zinc is a mineral that supports the body's immune system and promotes cell growth. People can get zinc from animal proteins, nuts, and whole grains.

According to the NIH, severe zinc deficiencies have been associated with hair loss, diarrhea, impotence, and skin lesions.

A comprehensive review from 2016 lists zinc deficiency as a potential contributing factor for seborrheic dermatitis and dandruff.

Many dandruff shampoos contain zinc pyrithione because it prevents fungal growth and removes excess skin cells from the scalp.

People can purchase zinc supplements in drug stores and online.

[snip]

9. Dietary changes
Food can have dramatic effects on the body. Food may not be the root cause of dandruff, but it may make symptoms worse.

There is currently little research on how food affects dandruff. However, a growing body of research suggests an association between diet and inflammatory skin disorders, such as seborrheic dermatitis.

Fruits and vegetables contain many essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that may help reduce inflammation.

The results of a recent observational study involving 4,379 people showed that individuals who reported eating more fruits were less likely to have seborrheic dermatitis.

The results also suggest that typical Western diets may increase the risk of seborrheic dermatitis in females.

A 2018 review showed that a biotin deficiency could lead to several skin disorders, including seborrheic dermatitis. Biotin, also known as vitamin B7, plays a role in supporting healthy hair, nails, and skin. Biotin-rich foods include:
  • liver
  • egg yolks
  • nuts I'd probably ignore that
  • salmon
  • nutritional yeast and that

And this study, although I'm not sure it answers your question.

'm guessing most of you guys have your own little nacks on 'beauty regimes', and I'd love to hear about them!
A little late in the thread (just see this thread now), but wanted to share:

FACIAL AND NECK CLEANSING/MOISTURIZING

For the last 10 years, mornings and eves I use raw honey, which I get straight from the farm shop on my face and neck, massage it in with a slightly wet hand and then rinse off with water. If my skin gets dry during some periods, i keep the honey on for about 20 mins then rinse off with water, really works wonders. Here an link to an interesting article about the benefits of honey.

Then on the cleansed face, i put my homemade oil-mixture, consisting of:
- 1/3 rosehip oil
- 1/3 emu oil
- 1/3 olive or jojoba oil, depends on what i have in the house;
- few drops of vitamin E;
- few drops of frankincense or patchouli oil, whatever i have available.
Seriously, my skin feels amazing, very soft and radiant. I put the mixture in a dark brown glass bottle with a dropper (which you can cheaply purchase online or at health shops). I get my oils online and make sure they are organic, cold pressed and virgin(where applicable).

TEETH
Three years ago, they discovered severe periodontal disease, took a year of laser therapy to recover. Firstly, I used bicarbonate of soda and coconut oil for 3 years, worked great, then switched to neem toothpaste because i read that neem could be used against psoriasis in the mouth (fissures on the tongue). However, after brushing away for 2 months, the tip of my tongue became red and very sensitive, like it was burned so I stopped taking that. After about five days or so the tongue got back to normal. Now i have been brushing for the last 1,5 months alternatively with tea tree oil toothpaste from Dr Organic and bicarbonate of soda/coconut oil (and rinsing during the day with a few drops of teatree oil in water)l, so far so good. Also I noticed that switching to keto/paleo plus intermittant fasting 3 years ago really helped in restoring oral health and strong teeth.

Thank you all for your replies :flowers: I'll give the Aleppo soap a try. @Ant22, this Dutch webshop sells Aleppo soap, it looks legit to me: Link, they also ship abroad.

HAIR

Washing once a week with bicarbonate of soda mixed with regular shampoo alleviates psoriasis - itching on scalp enormously. I was looking to find a new "shampoo", so big thank you, will follow this up and try it out.

In the thread Session-10-aug-2019-47549/page-18, United Gnosis says:
Over time, I also found that brushing daily with bicarb is too abrasive, but maybe the keto diet is a factor as non-carby foods seem to leave much less residue. Either way, now 10 years fluoride-free, my toothpaste actually evolved to a dry mix of food-grade diatomaceous earth, ultrafine clay powder, bicarb and a pinch of unrefined salt. The DT is a good inert base with a decent abrasion but far less than bicarb, clay and and pink salt for remineralization, and you really don't need that much bicarb to affect alkalinity as very little of it needs to dissolve (or is able to, really) while any extra crystals will be for abrasion only. Occasionally but not always, i take a drop of a custom essential oil mix at the same time, but overtime I learned not to premix the powder in coconut oil/etc, as the oil - even in colder climes - tends to soften, which allows the solids to migrate to the bottom.

Not rinsing for a few minutes after brushing, as mentioned earlier, also seems to have worked wonders for me. After a few years of this treatment, I went back to my dentist I hadn't visited since 2010, and he couldn't believe it, caries he could see in the previous x-rays had closed/remineralized!
Sensational United Gnosis, happy for you, thank you so much for sharing. I went ahead and ordered diatomaceous earth food grade (which i used years ago in a mixture to help my daughter get rid of scabies:scared:) and the clay powder, ready to make your dry toothpowder. Would love to know how many parts of which you use in your mix. The teatree toothpaste i used gets my teeth too sensitive after a few weeks of brushing with it, so ready to try this! Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom