Bedbugs in France

This is a nightmare. And maybe they will say it is the climate change that is responsible for these bedbugs. I remember when I was in Senegal I sleep in a bed with bedbugs. It was horrible. I think in French it is called "punaises". I was sick at the time and incapable to move from the bed. Maybe it is a plague, It happens from time to time, plagues of locusts, for example, that destroy everything. So it could be a plague of bedbugs, but unlike grasshoppers, bedbugs suck blood, are little vampires and are really awful. But they told me that when a bed have bedbugs, the only solution is to put fire on the bed.
For living there in Senegal for 6 years now, I can relate that you will find a lot of houses infested with bedbugs and cockroachs.

In preserved traditionnal villages you have not those cases as houses are surronded by bushes and trees, their natural predators like spiders, scorpions, ants, tiger bettles, centipedes and other feed on those bugs who settles in house. So peoples don't usually do tremendous efforts to clean houses, cause it is already a sane environment, it is only about getting out the dirt from the house.

With modern-like habitations and towns, there is no more allowed arthropods in houses, but peoples still living in the same manner : kitchens are not perfectly cleansed each days, matress are not inspected nor turned over, bulky stuffs are not removed for cleaning. As I visited so many peoples in so many houses mainly in Dakar, I can tell that it is really common to find bedbugs and cockroachs in houses, and it is more impressive to see peoples do nothing about and just tolerate/endure those pest.

In news everyone are telling that this sudden bedbugs upsurge can not be due to immigration cause they found bedbugs in luxury hotels too, which is not a point as bedbugs are spreading so fast and are highly resilient too. For example everytime I take the bus here for long travel I found to or three bedbugs by inspecting my bag at arrival. In Mauritania, where I lives for two years too, the problem exist in big towns only, like Nouakchott, as the country is too dry for those insects to thrive in villages. I suppose the problem is common at least in all west-africans countries as peoples from Togo, Burkina, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Guinea, and Niger, that I met during my trips are well aware of bedbugs in their country.

No one in France want to study the possible influence of immigration on that bedbugs upsurge, cause of politics only, from the right-winged guys who will take any opportunity to say thats immigrants are the source of all the problems in this country, to the left-winged dudes who will treat you a racist if you report a problem with an african/arabic person even if the problem is not relate to his origin, religion or custom, peoples are afraid to tell what they see. But I bet there is a link, all the biggest towns encounters problem with bedbugs, the first of all was Paris of course, and when you see the french politic on immigration, which is make a lot of immigrants come in France and leave them by their owns as soon as they put their foot on the national territory in awful situations, it is not surprised that those things happens.

I remember that in Senegal I lived some days with a family that was quite well, the father was the principal of a school. One night I slept in the same room as the girls and I saw little cockroaches wandering around on the wood of my bed. What a horror. But as it looked normal, I did as the girls did and slept without a problem. Then another day I slept on the sofa in the living room and there was a very, very big spider on the wall. They rightly told me that this spider killed cockroaches and mosquitoes, so it was respected. Strangely enough, as someone who is afraid of spiders, I slept very well.

The bedbugs that made me sick were in the beds of a school that housed all the project participants. I never had bedbugs on the beds of the families I visited. Cockroaches, yes, but no bedbugs. 😊

I worked as a chambermaid here in Spain. There were bedbugs in a 5-star hotel where foreigners were staying for a Spanish course. The managers were incompetent and very unprofessional. They knew perfectly well that some beds had bedbugs, but they didn't do anything about it.

Back
Top Bottom