Benefits of bicycling

Gandalf said:
Bastian said:
But if you use them often, the usual (upright) bikes are harmful for your body, particularly your back, neck, and the saddle can cause sterility for men. So if you can afford it, prefer "recumbent" bikes (or trikes) : they are a lot more comfortable and often more efficient (but not for riding uphill).
_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recumbent_bicycle

Well, I don't agree with that. If your bike is well adjusted, you should not have any problem. In fact, when my back is hurting, I go for a ride and everything is fine after that. And the problem with the neck is just the fact that your mussels are not used to that.

And for the sterility, so far it might just be a urban legend.

I would have to agree with Gandalf, Palinurus and seek10. While some people might have these problems, most, if not all people on the KD will not.

I've had back problems for years but whenever I rode a regular bike, I just felt better, not worse, even way before the KD.

I did break my right collar bone when I was 12 in a bike accident but that was no fault of the bike itself, it was my fault :P

Gandalf said:
And for the sterility, so far it might just be a urban legend.
Agree. I also think that much emphasis is unnecessarily placed on the issue of sterility in general. While people tend to speak of it using that specific term, perhaps the main concern for many really lies not so much with the ability to procreate which in and of itself often seems to be linked to societal programming of what one is 'supposed' to do, but rather may hold roots in fears related to not fitting in, being able to perform or feeling/being labeled 'impotent'.

If that's the case, it's really little more than an illusion, I think, and nothing to really be concerned about. In general, there's very little that mainstream science and by extension, society that understands about the body's ability to procreate that I wouldn't put much stock in what most general sources have to say on the matter. Just some thoughts.

Some people do seem to have problems with traditional bike seats due to the pressure they place on the perineum area:

http://www.spongywonder.com/yourhealth.php
Traditional bicycle seats create pressure points which place unhealthy pressure on the prostate, irritate the urethra, damage the pudendal arteries and dorsal nerves, and cause the development of cysts on the tailbone. Traditional bicycle seats inhibit air circulation which contributes to the growth of yeasts, and they irritate the vulvar region, which can become an acute problem for women who have vulvodynia and/or contact vulvitis.

http://www.ismseat.com/technology
Studies have linked perineal pressure caused by straddling traditional bicycle seats to numbness, urinary tract and yeast infections, prostate inflammation and impotence.

Instead of using a recumbent bike, switching to a "special design" bike seat could solve or ease the problem. (Examples of these type of seats can be seen in above links. There also seem to be several more "noseless" bike seats on the market.)

To get an idea of what the noseless seat looks like, below is an example pic of one model ("spongy wonder"):
spongy_mk9_side.jpg

Personally I struggled with traditional bike seats, and found a noseless seat to be a good option.

parallel said:
I also find riding a bike can be one of the easiest ways to observation train. To notice how emotions flare and motor center adjusts with traffic and co-bikers while the main thrust of the motor center is engaged in threadmilling. Noticing thoughts fly while focusing on a particular line of thought. Usually I do feel energized in mind and body after a bike ride.

Yeap! the same for me. But I noticed that when my head is too busy 'somewhere else' and am not really focusing on myself, I sometimes need to stop because otherwise I might fall into a hole or something :lol: (Oh! yes! roads are awful here so you really need to be aware all the time).

I guess I still need a lot of my thought center focusing on the ride...

Atuya said:
Carlise said:
It's a shame living in the city, cycling can be an absolute nightmare with the bumpy, pothole filled roads full of horrible vehicles, and feels like a total chore. On the rare occasions when I can leave this place, I find cycling to be very fulfilling though.

Cycling in the city does provide an opportunity to see things from a different perspective. But a helmet and caution are indispensable.

With the KD, I've noticed significant performance gains while cycling. Notably, it seems that my body uses oxygen better and I breathe less erratically and less deeply. The first few kilometers I would sense soreness in the muscles, but as soon as the 'machine' warmed up, I could go for hours without fatigue. And no soreness on the day after a ride.

Hooray for bicycles!

Yes indeed! I'm not in KD, just a Paleo Diet, but I feel a lot of improvement in performance as well since I'm on it.

I cycle to work everyday and my bike has become my transport for every time I want to get out somewhere. I have some bicycle saddlebags installed so I can bring all what is needed with me. :) (People really look at me as if I am from another country... but I don't mind that) In my country, people are not used to bikes so it is a little bit dangerous, I would say... By now, cyclist are starting to show up more so that the car drivers can start having more respect for bikers.

As for self-observation... I is a great way to practice it. I also noticed that it clears my mind and that it takes away almost all the tensions in my body. And I also save money! of course. :lol:

Very interesting article btw!

One more hooray for bicycles! :thup:

hiker said:
Personally I struggled with traditional bike seats, and found a noseless seat to be a good option.

It seems like a good and viable option for those who are not comfortable with traditional seats, worth considering.

Somewhat pricey though - around a $100 for just the saddle - but I think I'll be fine with the traditional seat.

It will take a few days, maybe a week to get used to it again but I don't remember having any lasting discomfort or pain when I used to ride regularly.

edit: Ride instead of Bike.

Nuke said:
hiker said:

It seems like a good and viable option for those who are not comfortable with traditional seats, worth considering.

Somewhat pricey though - around a $100 for just the saddle - but I think I'll be fine with the traditional seat.

It will take a few days, maybe a week to get used to it again but I don't remember having any lasting discomfort or pain when I used to ride regularly.

edit: Ride instead of Bike.
I had seat issues when I started riding, my solution wasn't a fancy new seat.
I just adjusted the angle so that the 'nose' was pointing slightly down, with more of my weight centered on the wider part near the rear.
It cured the soreness as well!
A properly adjusted bike, fitted to it's rider, is very important.

Thank you Treesparrow for the article and all who participated in this thread, i had a bicycle a few years ago, i can testify that there are real benefits in riding a bike, it was a real adventure each time i was riding it, i was feeling physically and psychologically much better, but i had a small problem with that bike, it was too small for me and sometimes i noticed pains in my upper back, neck, so let's say that this thing wasn't cool at all :D so i sold it, there have passed a few years since then but i still remember with nostalgia my long rides on the bikes, with that bike i learned almost each corner of the city where i live. The last couple of days i've noticed that except going to work, and doing other daily routine staff(like going to grocerystore...) most of the time i'm not getting outside nowhere, off course at home i have always something to do, reading Sott, the forum a book when i have time, doing some workout, but i think it's necessary to go out sometimes and just take a walk in the park or ride a bike only if for the sake of breaking the daily routine. So that's why i was thinking in buying a bike to be able to break away from the daily routine to go out and just ride... :scooter: ;D

We don't know how, exactly, this happens, but there is more startling evidence of the link between Parkinson's and cycling. A clip posted on YouTube by the New England Journal of Medicine features a 58-year-old Dutchman with severe Parkinson's. In the first half of the video, we watch the unnamed patient trying to walk along a hospital ward. He can barely stand. Helped by a physiotherapist, he manages a slow shuffle, before almost falling. His hands shake uncontrollably...

I have benefited from bicycling where walking proved too draining on my physical capacities.

I injured my head, and have lasting effects including ringing in the ears, fatigue, dizziness - not severe, just enough to hinder my activities - 'just beneath the surface'.

So I wondered why I couldn't walk very far without getting exhausted, but on my bike, I could ride for much longer - continually exerting my strength, and not feeling fatigued.

Of course there is the fact that biking is more efficient - there's that. And also you are seated and primarily exercising your leg muscles, and your upper body is in a position to allow you to breath deeply.

But I think that - because I experience balance issues - I benefit from the gyroscopic action of the wheels, and my balance is assisted from being situated atop of two gyroscopes, artificially boosting my balance so that my movements are fluid, and operating at optimum efficiency as is the case in a person with a normal, healthy equilibrium.

I think fatigue results from neurons misfiring and making movement intermitent and choppy - mentally shutting you down, and impacting your joints, ect. making attempts at exercise futile, but with bicycles your balance and fluidity of movement is bolstered with the gyroscopic assist combined with the efficiency and body positioning to enable people with brain issues to exercise despite having balance issues and the resultant fatigue issues.

So, I think there is an assist that the bike wheels give that aid or bolster your balance, allowing you to exercise like normal and not fight to stay balanced - having your effort remain fluid and efficient as possible.

On a operating bicycle - where you lack balance - balance is provided or assisted by the rotating action of the wheels.

After my fall 9 months ago and acute fractures requiring Kyphoplasty of three vertebrae I bought a recumbent bike for the house to aid in my Physical Therapy. I had ablations done on 4 nerves in my lower back and can now ride. It has helped immensely and really strengthened my legs which were atrofied after a six month recovery of pretty much doing nothing. The Physical Therapy that I go to is at my Spine Doctors office and they use a recumbent bike there as well. For anyone that has trouble with balance, wants a good cardio workout while working the legs and needs to be in a good position, recumbents work very well. I can testify that it has helped me make very good progress, my rehab would have been much longer without it!

The Dutch police union says cycle lanes are no longer safe because there are so many hoverboards, scooters, e-bikes and even electric cars using them.

Four children in an electric cargo bike known as a Stint were killed when they were hit by a train on a level crossing last month.
Stints became popular in recent years with schools and nurseries after the government approved them in 2012, but were banned after the tragedy in the town of Oss.

Last year more cyclists than motorists were killed in the Netherlands, for the first time ever, and 57 of those were on e-bikes, a jump of 17 on 2016.
The link between e-bike popularity and and more cycling deaths in the NL is complex. One argument is that e-bike allow much older people to continue riding, and deaths (for any reason) are thus more likely — the so-called "golf effect".

"It is impossible for the police to maintain it. I wonder whether citizens themselves know what the situation is in traffic. Police officers do not always know it either. It is a completely unclear situation," Gerrit van de Kamp of the ACP police union told the FD newspaper.

The four biggest cities in the Netherlands — Amsterdam, Rotterdam, The Hague and Utrecht have passed new laws in recent months in a big to ease the congestion in Dutch cycle lanes.

On Tuesday, December 18, Amsterdam banned slower mopeds, known as a snorfiets, from April. Utrecht is introducing a similar ban at the end of 2019.

But Birò cars — four-wheeled electric vehicles with a top speed of 34 mph, can still be driven in cycle lanes anywhere in the Netherlands.
Rotterdam has said it will continue to give them access as they are too slow for the fast traffic on the city's roads.

The number of mopeds in the Netherlands has risen to 720,000 in the last decade.

Back
Top Bottom