Blatant Plug For LibreOffice

Guardian

The Cosmic Force
This totally free and open source Office Suite just saved my fanny a mega-ton of work! Open Office is good, but LibreOffice can do (at least) one thing that Open Office can't do, open OLD Ami Pro and Lotus files. It just opened a 20 year old Lotus file :D

www.libreoffice.org

Lotus Word Pro 9 (the last release) will NOT run on a 64-bit platform, no way, no how...just not gonna happen, even in a shell. I was looking at having to find some way to batch convert more than 10,000 files :scared:

I'd heard of Libre Office before, but I didn't think it was much different from Open Office...until I found it can open most (if not all?) historic formats.
:cool2:

Hello Guardian,

I don't have a lot of RAM on my computer, and OpenOffice seems pretty RAM heavy, so I would like to replace it if I can find something that does the same things but runs lighter. Did you happen to notice if LibreOffice was a lighter load than OpenOffice on your computer?

Patience said:
Hello Guardian,

I don't have a lot of RAM on my computer, and OpenOffice seems pretty RAM heavy, so I would like to replace it if I can find something that does the same things but runs lighter. Did you happen to notice if LibreOffice was a lighter load than OpenOffice on your computer?

LibreOffice system requirements

The software and hardware prerequisites for installing LibreOffice on a Windows system are as follows:

* Microsoft Windows 2000 (Service Pack 4 or higher), XP, Vista, or Windows 7;
* Pentium-compatible PC (Pentium III, Athlon or more-recent system recommended);
* 256 Mb RAM (512 Mb RAM recommended);
* Up to 1.5 Gb available hard disk space;
* 1024x768 resolution (higher resolution recommended), with at least 256 colors.

OpenOffice (version 3 - older versions use less ram) system requirements

Microsoft Windows

* Windows 2000 (Service Pack 2 or higher), Windows XP, Windows 2003, Windows Vista, Windows 7
* 256 Mbytes RAM (512 MB RAM recommended)
* At least 650 Mbytes available disk space for a default install (including a JRE) via download.After installation and deletion of temporary installation files, OpenOffice.org will use approximately 440 Mbytes disk space.
* 1024 x 768 or higher resolution with at least 256 colours

Patience said:
Hello Guardian,

As RedFox pointed out, they look about the same if you install the whole package, BUT you can do a custom install and only load what you need. I can't say for certain, 'cause I loaded the entire Suite, but I suspect it would be a lot lighter if you don't need "Database" or "Formula"

Do you have any open memory slots, and if so, what kind? I have some spare memory chips left over from various upgrades you can have if they'll work for ya?

I use both OO & LO. But for some newer releases
of Linux distros, OO is being dropped due to Oracle's
takover of Sun and general mistrust of Oracle's
community service intentions. OSIR. (Or So I
Read)

LO has less features than OO, at this time, such
as regular expression support and LOTS of plugins.
Both, however supports PDF imports and exports, a
very handy tool.

I am weaning off of M$ product since they are more
expensive than free. ;)

dant said:
I am weaning off of M$ product since they are more
expensive than free. ;)

I don't use Microsoft product at all, except the platform, and that only because changing the OS of a Windows Toshiba laptop off the shelf is a nightmare even IF you can get all the necessary drivers for your hardware. Getting some version of my old 32-bit programs to run in Windows 7 is proving to be a bit of a challenge, especially since most of them are no longer supported ...Eudora, Palm Desktop, ACDSee etc.

I can see what you mean about LibreOffice not being as fully featured as OO yet, especially the Spreadsheet module, but I think I'm going to hang with them as they develop it. What they do have thus far is pretty dern slick, and there is definitely a market for a Suite that opens historic formats.
I remember when AmiPro was da'bomb ...and I still have a bunch of files in .sam too There nothing like setting up a new computer to make a girl really feel her age. :rolleyes:

I was thrilled with OO too, until I heard about the buyout.... I'd be one of those users who's VERY distrustful of Oracle. They want to be the next Microshyt, and just the desire is enough to make me dump them.

Guardian said:
Patience said:
Hello Guardian,

As RedFox pointed out, they look about the same if you install the whole package, BUT you can do a custom install and only load what you need. I can't say for certain, 'cause I loaded the entire Suite, but I suspect it would be a lot lighter if you don't need "Database" or "Formula"

Do you have any open memory slots, and if so, what kind? I have some spare memory chips left over from various upgrades you can have if they'll work for ya?

I appreciate that alot. I will look at my specs tomorrow. I have got to go to bed now. It might be a little logistically complicated as I live in France, but whatever happens, that is a very kind offer.

Patience said:
I appreciate that alot. I will look at my specs tomorrow. I have got to go to bed now. It might be a little logistically complicated as I live in France,

?? If you don't want to give out your address (VERY understandable) I think I know a few folks in France I could mail it too ;D

Patience said:
Guardian said:
Patience said:
Hello Guardian,

I appreciate that alot. I will look at my specs tomorrow. I have got to go to bed now. It might be a little logistically complicated as I live in France, but whatever happens, that is a very kind offer.

OK... It's a laptop. The little book says "200 pin SO-DIMM 533/667 MHz DDRII (DDR2)" Either two 512 MB chips or one 1024 MB chip would be an upgrade. I have tried in the past to simply add one 512 MB chip to the one that is there already, but my computer did not like having 2 different chips even though they had the same specs. Let me know if you find anything. This is NOT urgent. And again... Thanks.

Patience said:
OK... It's a laptop. The little book says "200 pin SO-DIMM 533/667 MHz DDRII (DDR2)" Either two 512 MB chips or one 1024 MB chip would be an upgrade.

I might just have a couple chips that will work for ya?
I've got 2 Samsung 1GB 2Rx8 PC2-4200S-444-12-E3 DDR2 RAM Model # M470T2953CZ3- CD5 that MIGHT work?

You can check the compatibility here-
http://www.memoryx.net/

I found the specs on the samsung website and it says it is a 266 MHz chip and the specs book for my computer says 533/667 MHz. I don't know if lower frequency is compatible with a higher frequency computer. I will have to poke around.

Patience said:
I found the specs on the samsung website and it says it is a 266 MHz chip and the specs book for my computer says 533/667 MHz. I don't know if lower frequency is compatible with a higher frequency computer. I will have to poke around.

Since they are both DDR2 it should work and provide more RAM to your computer. However, the computer (memory bus) will have to slow down all of the chips to the lowest-speed, 266Mhz, which is about half as fast as the memory you have now.

_http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_different_speed_DDR2_ram_be_used

Patience said:

What is that exact make and model of your computer?

Well... It is from a very small laptop company called M-tech. The chips you mentioned have all the right specs except the speed. Since they run at half the speed, or frequency, I have no idea if the increased amount of RAM will compensate for that. I am sorry this is so complicated. Also, Let me apologize that I have not exactly been replying quickly. I am in the middle of some killer exams at school and so I am a bit distracted. Again thanks for all the trouble.

Back
Top Bottom