Blue field entoptic phenomenon

Mike

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
For the past few months I've been trying to determine what I'm seeing and figured I post this and see if anyone else can see it.

During the day when I look at the background of the sky I see little silvery, for lack of a better description, 'sparks' here in there in the field of my vision. And over time I tried to see them more clearly by focusing on them. This lead me to look at the sky and basically cross my eyes to see directly in front of my face. When I do this I see the 'sparks' more clearly. They are really small, silvery and glowing slightly, move around each other and seem to wink out.

I can only see them with the background of the sky and wind doesn't seem to affect their movement. Most times I'm looking as a smoke in the late afternoon, early evening when the sun isn't so bright.

I know it sounds strange, but figured I'd bring it up and get some feedback. Tried to explain it to a friend, but he looked at like I was crazy and I dropped the subject. :umm:

Re: Something I'm seeing

I sometimes experience what you're describing, due to a chronic eye condition (iritis), and its always worse when outdoors on a sunny day. When I first experienced it, I found it very disturbing. Now that I know what they are, they're just annoying.

In your case, there's probably nothing to worry about, but you should see an opthamologist (not an "optician") to get your eyes checked out, to be on the safe side and set your mind at ease.

The Health & Age Network
Vision Centre

Flashes & Floaters

[size=8pt]Question

I have been seeing silver streaks and silver spots. I tried quitting drinking sugar-containing sodas, but it didn't help. What's the cause?

Answer

Your question makes me think of "Floaters" and "Flashers".

Floaters appear as gray or black specks, lines, or "cobwebs" in front of the eyes. As the eyes move, the floaters move too. They do not follow your eye movements precisely, as they usually drift when the eyes start or stop moving.

Floaters are caused by clumps or bits of material suspended in the vitreous jelly that fills the back of the eye. The floaters cast shadows on the light sensitive retina. It is actually the shadow of the floater that you see. Floaters may have a variety of causes, some serious, and some not serious at all (see below).

Flashes are sensations of light, when no light is really there. They may appear as many tiny bright lights (like "sparklers") or like flashes of lightening. You may have been experiencing flashers as they are often described by patients as specks and streaks of silver or spark-like visualizations.

Flashes may occur when the vitreous jelly pulls on or tears the retina. These flashes usually last for only a second or so, but typically occur repeatedly. They may be more obvious with eye movement, or in a dark room.

Some people with migraine headaches may experience a different type of flash. These are usually shimmering, jagged lights that are present constantly for a period of fifteen minutes or so. They typically appear in the center of your field of vision, and progress slowly towards the edges of the visual field. A headache that is commonly throbbing, and on one side of the head, may follow the disappearance of the flashes.

Are floaters and flashes serious? Many people have floaters. If you have had them for years, and they show little change, they are usually not serious. It is the sudden onset of a new floater or floaters that may be serious. The onset of flashes may also be serious.

Anyone with flashes or the sudden onset of a new floater (or floaters) should be examined promptly by an ophthalmologist. The ophthalmologist will perform a dilated fundus exam (looking at the vitreous and retina with specialized equipment after giving drops to enlarge the pupils).

The vitreous is a jelly-like material that fills most of the space inside the eye. As we age, the vitreous often liquefies and may collapse. This is more likely to occur, and occurs much earlier, in eyes that are nearsighted (myopia). It can also occur after injuries to the eye or inflammation in the eye.

The retina is a thin sheet of light sensitive nerve tissue that lines the inside of the eye. It is the tissue that turns light into an electrical signal to send to the brain. It can be compared to the film in a camera.

When you go to your doctor and he/she suspects floaters or flashes he will look inside the eye for evidence of disease or damage to the vitreous or retina. The sudden onset of floaters or flashes is often due to a separation of the vitreous jelly from the retina. When this occurs, it tears the retina in about 10% of cases. In most cases, the retina is not torn, and your doctor will examine your eye again at a later date.

What can be done about them? Your flashes are likely to go away on their own within a few days or weeks. This may be true even if you have a retinal tear or detachment! It is therefore important to be examined by an ophthalmologist even if your flashes go away on their own as yours did.

Floaters tend to last longer than flashes. In most cases, they diminish gradually over weeks or months. Often they do not go away completely. Most people learn to ignore them. Floaters, like flashes, may get better on their own even if a retinal tear or detachment is present. Again, you should be examined even if the floaters seem to be going away.

Look up "leukocytes blue sky" on Google... it's also been mentioned here on the forum before. I see the same thing that you describe, and if you really focus in you'll notice they pulse with every heart beat; it's all the little white cells passing through the capillaries. :scared:

The Entoptic Phenomenon

From: The Entoptic Phenomenon: "This moving dots effect are actually leukocytes, or white blood cells (WBC), which move along through the blood-filled capillaries...."

Very interesting. I experience the phenomenon when I have an outbreak of my eye condition (iritis), which is characterized by a dramatic increase of white blood cells due to inflammation. In Bear's case what he's seeing is probably just normal white blood cells, and nothing to worry about. But if he's having any other symptoms, like eye discomfort, redness, discharge, or increased sensitivity to light, he should have it checked out.

Leonpher said:
Look up "leukocytes blue sky" on Google... it's also been mentioned here on the forum before. I see the same thing that you describe, and if you really focus in you'll notice they pulse with every heart beat; it's all the little white cells passing through the capillaries. :scared:

The Entoptic Phenomenon

Thanks for the replies, I'll read up on it.

Strange Phenomena

Roughly seven years ago now I began to notice an unusual phenomena, which only seemed to occur on bright sunny days when my eyes were very relaxed. I begun to notice movement in the air all around me wherever I looked. It seemed as if the air was alive with very small and short lived and barley perceptible light sparks, which would seem to almost wriggle and squirm briefly through the air before dissipating. At the time I had thought nothing of this and believed it may have been a trick of the light. Over the next few months after noticing this, I begun to notice it more and more, so that after a while it became a regular occurrence for me to observe this. Recently however, this unusual activity has increased quite dramatically, what were once short lived and barely perceptible sparks, now seem to last much, much longer, and my eyes at times struggle trying to keep u with them due the increased motion, numbers and increased amount of light being given off for longer periods. I'm now wondering if this may be linked into the increased EM charging of our atmosphere and surrounding air, as the sparks look like what I'd expect to see if there was a certain level of electrical current in the air, with the phenomena itself being electrical sparks, normally imperceptible, unless you relax and stay still for long enough to allow yourself to perceive them.

As I mentioned before, many may put this down to a trick of the light, or my eyes having some type of damage, which causes me to see this phenomena, however last October I had my eyes lasered to correct my short-sightedness, and there were no signs from the attending technicians or doctors that there was any problem with my eyes other than my short-sightedness, I was told they were in otherwise perfect condition. Has anyone else experienced this or have any thoughts that may help to explain this?

Re: Strange Phenomena

I had similar experience in garden last Sunday.
It was like everything was moving in the sky around me
In the blue sky was nothing no single cloud.
But I thought simply it will be blood circulating in my eyes.
It was little different I think....

I've noticed it as well. It's kinda like when u sneeze real hard and you see the lights moving. However I'm not sneezing or under any strain when I see these. I think perhaps what we are witnessing is in the electromagnetic spectrum. Just my take on it. I've seen a documentary where animals see things in the electromagnetic spectrum too.

I second that too. Several years ago, I was laying on my back in an open meadow, staring into the blue cloudless sky. I saw what I could describe as short streaks of fuzzy white. A lot of them The color inteensity would be close to the intensity of the blue color of the sky, that made them blend in... I didn't think of this phenomenon as of electrical in nature, though... Maybe a kind of cosmic rays?

The most similar thing I had was some electric blue sparks, in the upper sector of my sight. A couple of months ago. I think other people said they had something similar to this, though I don´t find the thread

DGF said:
Do they move in a dogleg fashion Graalsword???

Sorry for the delay of the reply. Nope, it was more like sparks. Short-lived ones, Electric blue.

Pommes bleues?

I see purple flashes which could be in the gamma ray end of the spectrum.

I also regulary see purple or blue dots flash in random spots in my vision field. Don't know what to make of it.

Also I see these 'stars in your eyes', though I've read somewhere that it is the White blood cells in the eyes.

The most recent event like this happened to me yesterday when i was smoking :). It definitely is like everything comes alive, is pulsing and moving. What i saw though was a tiny white light that popped into view and dashed across my field of view from left to right. Kind of like the footages of the UFOs but orders of magnitude smaller since i was sitting down and looking at the ground.

Back
Top Bottom