Body odor

3DStudent

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Hello all, something has come up that has myself and others concerned. Recently my family, sister mostly but also mother, have told me that I smell bad. I cannot smell it myself, as these things seem to go, but my sister seems quite disgusted. This is starting to concern me because it will greatly affect external consideration in the presence of others.

Nobody at work has told me this, perhaps out of politeness. I haven't been wearing deodorant since I found out it had aluminum in it. I figured I'd be ok because it's winter and I don't sweat a lot and wear layers. However, I just got some Tom's of Maine natural deodorant. For the record, I do shower and brush my teeth, but my mom has told me my breath stinks. My sister can still smell me after I shower, specifically my skin.

So I think it is coming out of my skin's pores. I have been doing saunas for a month and a half, as well as staying within the detox diet. My understanding is that the sauna pulls out the toxins through the skin, so that's what I think is happening. Has anyone had any similar problems or any recommendations? Feedback is much appreciated.

Hey 3D,

I have pretty much the same deal going on with my family and me. My mom and sister have made numerous comments about my smell, but considering I shower everyday, brush my teeth, eat well (at least in comparison to them) I don't understand why I have such an offensive smell to them.

Also, they are the only ones that mention the smell. Are your family members the only one who make mentions of your smell or have other people commented on it?

I would think that a good reason for the smell is what you said here
3D Student said:
I have been doing saunas for a month and a half, as well as staying within the detox diet. My understanding is that the sauna pulls out the toxins through the skin, so that's what I think is happening.
A few days ago, I was going to the bathroom for a lot of bowel movements, and they smelled funkier than usual (almost metallic like), so I think some nasty toxins were coming out of my system.

I would THINK that a person with better eating habits would smell better... but maybe we are just so loaded with toxins, that when we start doing something about it, when we stop giving our body the junk that it's used to eating, it starts reacting by letting out bad smells. So if you are still eating the SAD - Standard American Diet, your keeping all that nastiness internal so its not coming out as much through breathe and pores as much as stress, illness, etc. Once we let the cat outta the bag, its gonna stink the place up til we finally clear out the bag.

On the flipside, what if because people are full of toxins internally and there are so many toxins in our external environment, that our ideas of what smells offensive and what smells good are completely skewed. In which case, if someone is detoxing, truly cleansing their system and getting healthier, that the smell they let off would be considered offensive to everyone else around who are still loaded with toxins in their system. Is that a possibility or just a dud idea?

Ahh, thank you DanielS, it's nice to know I'm not the only one with this embarrassing situation. The only other people I'm in contact with would be my co-workers, and they haven't said anything (maybe being considerate). I haven't noticed much in regards to my bowels, just that it is an easier process I guess with a cleaner digestive system. I think the "outgasing" of toxins offending others is kind of interesting. If it is toxins that are coming out, then people would just be smelling what is in their bodies too.

Do you sanitize your sauna after each use? Do you shower more than once a day? Some people need to do this because they have very active metabolisms. Like shower in the morning and evening. You can get nice, scented, natural soaps and body washes. Make sure you wear clothing only once before washing it. Wash your bed clothing more frequently. Brush your teeth with a good baking soda and salt toothpaste or powder. Scrub your skin well with a good, natural soap or bath gel. Take chlorophyll tablets or include chlorella in your diet. Do some research in the net for possible solutions.

In all cases, you should be sensitive to this and take firm steps to solve the problem. Your family might tell you, but your friends and co-workers probably will not and may be suffering in silence.

Thank you Laura for the suggestions. I know some in my house already want me to research this and nip it in the bud. :-[

I wipe down my sauna with 70% rubbing alcohol after each use and have only ever taken one shower a day unless I got unexpectedly dirty. The other things I will probably start employing soon.

3D Student said:
Ahh, thank you DanielS, it's nice to know I'm not the only one with this embarrassing situation.

:lol: Your welcome ??

Just to further up on some of Laura's suggestions

http://www.articlesbase.com/alternative-medicine-articles/how-to-get-rid-of-bad-body-odor-the-natural-way-414244.html said:
Chlorophyll Is Your Ally

One of the most effective internal deodorizers is chlorophyll, a substance that is popularly recognized as the one responsible for turning the color of plant leaves to green. According to naturopathic practitioner Dr. Peter Bennett, taking chlorophyll supplements will help greatly in the purifying and deodorizing of the body. In many hospitals, chlorophyll is actually used to minimize the odor of feces of patients that have their colons removed or have their stools routed in bags. But if you are not keen on taking supplements, you can also get your daily chlorophyll requirements by eating spinach, kale, chard and other green leafy vegetables.

Do Some Dry Brushing

One way to stimulate proper blood circulation and get rid of dead skin cells is by regularly dry brushing the skin. Use soft and natural bristles so that brushing your skin will not be painful. This activity is beneficial because it will not only help eliminate dead cells, which can be malodorous, but can also assist in getting rid of toxins on the surface of your skin.

Use short and quick strokes, starting from your fingertips all the way up to your armpits. Make sure that the strokes are all geared towards the heart. Then, brush your whole body including your legs and thighs. Do not forget to brush even the soles of your feet. Lastly, do not let your brush get wet in order to prevent it from getting molds.

Drink Your Odor Away

A lot of people pay little attention to water. However, this fluid is very important in the elimination of waste products and toxins from the body. If you are suffering from body odor, it would be best to drink plenty of water so that the odor-causing toxins could be diluted inside your body. In order to make the deodorizing power of water more potent, you can add lemon juice to your glass of water. Lemon is also one of nature's best purifiers and deodorizers.

Try Some Probiotics

Proliferation of bad bacteria inside your gut is one of the leading causes of bad body odor. These colonies of unfriendly bacteria may have flourished because of the types of food you eat or the lack of good bacteria inside your system. To remedy this problem, you may want to try eating yogurt, which is a good source of friendly microorganisms. You can also take supplements that contain probiotics.

Do The Detox

As mentioned earlier, the things that you put inside your mouth can be the underlying reason behind your bad body odor. If you want to get rid of such odor, you need to undergo detoxification to help cleanse your system and eliminate once and for all the wastes and toxins that have been building up inside your intestines.

Hi 3D student,

If you follow all the advice given to you so far, you should see much improvement. And you can also search for "Alun Stone" on the web. It is a 100 natural deodorant. You can buy in online at several websites. I've been using it for about two years now, and it really works if you apply it correctly. Nothing better than a good hygiene, but I've found that when you have to be out all day, or doing physical work, this stone it can be very useful.

Here's a bit of information about it:

Alun Stone - Rough

Alun' stone is the active principle of the anti-perspiring (double sulphate of potassium and aluminum hydrated). This natural stone is like a mineral salt, extracted from quarry. Its action tightens the pores of skin. Wet the stone in the hollow of the hand then cross it under armpits. It controls the secretions and eliminate the odors while letting skin breathe. Its haemostatic properties also make an excellent healing substance of the small cuts or lesions of it. You can also use it to drain mouth ulcer.

_http://en.alliance-magique.com/well-being/well-being-other-1739.php

Alum properties:

Alum occurs in nature as the mineral.

The product is used in the food industry, food additives, as an ingredient in baking powder (cake alum), pickling vegetables (pickle alum), aquatic products salting, tap water processing, chemical and pharmaceutical industry.

It is used to clear polluted water for use in households.

Alum has two major functions in papermaking: first to control ph; and second because of its flocculating ability to retain other additives in the paper, notably the sizing agent.

Today our potash alum stone range is used as a wonderful and natural deodorant stone which is certified not harmful to the skin, safe for environment and NOT TESTED ON ANIMALS.

How it works:

Potassium Alum, called crystal stone, leaves a thin residue of very fine powder of mineral salts on the skin. It has an antiseptic and astringent effect. The fine powdery residue covers the epidermis and act as an effective bactericidal shield that effectively kills-off any bacteria living on or come into contact with the skin without clog pores. Alum deodorant stone reliably prevents body odours caused by perspiration bacterial

It is also useful for shaving as a good aftershave, razor burn, depilation iritation, minor cuts and wounds, insect and mosquito bites, acne and other skin problems that causes itchiness.

Non toxic, fragrance free, colorless, it is not sticky or greasy and will not stain clothes.

Hypoallergenic and simply natural, it gives you effective long lasting protection that you can use anywhere on your body for all family. It will remain cleanliness and freshness all through the day. It is an economic formula as it lasts months up to a year.

Safety:

Our Alum Stone is exclusively made from pure potassium mineral salts.

Without aluminium chlorohydrate, chemicals, perfumes, oils and any alcohol additive, it is a non toxic Stone, non sticky, non greasy and odorless. No stains on clothing.

Hypoallergenic and natural, it gives you effective long lasting protection that you can use anywhere on your body, it is safe for all kind of skin even more sensitive one, safe for entire family. It will remain cleanliness and freshness all through the day. It is an economic formula as it lasts months up to a year.

Easy to use:

As deodorant, apply Alum stone after bath or shower while body is still wet on body areas that need protection. If body dry, wet stone with water then apply on body parts.

As an antiseptic after shave, moisten stone with cold water and rub it gently on the face.

For minor cuts, moisten stone with cold water and place stone over the cut for a few seconds

After using, rinse your stone and keep it dry in a cool place.

Formula:

Potassium Alum, aqua: KAl (SO4 )2 /font>12H2 O (contains12 mol.crystal water).

_http://www.elitechfrance.com/english/pierre_alun_gb.htm

Hi 3D Student and DanielS,

you might want to try these, they look good:
http://www.super-smart.eu/en--Champex-250-mg--Detoxification--0093

Agaricus bisporus extract, powerful detoxifier and internal deodoriser

Champex® is a proprietary extract of the mushroom Agaricus bisporus which specifically neutralizes the by-products of food decomposition, exhaled in the form of "bad breath," or generators of body odour. Developed in Japan, Champex® acts by destroying the odoriferous compounds (methane, trimethylamine, indol, scatol and others) directly in the intestines where they begin, and by reducing ammoniac density in the blood. Its effectiveness is documented by several studies:
¤ Champex® is several times more effective for bad breath than parsley seed extract. It is effective against bad breath and body odour caused by consuming garlic (93% proven efficacy), onions, fish, and alcohol and by smoking tobacco.
¤ In Japan, when supplements were administered for 30 days to incontinent hospitalized patients, their body odour and bad breath disappeared completely, and urinary and faecal odor decreased very significantly.

For the scientists who led these studies, Champex® supplementation achieved much more than deodorizing, because the toxic compounds it neutralizes cause nausea, vomiting, spasms and cyanosis. If they are reabsorbed by the intestinal wall, they contribute to colon carcinogenesis, liver disorders and accelerated aging. Thus Champex® :
¤ improves the condition of subjects with diarrhea or constipation in 10 days;
¤ significantly improves the intestinal condition of 80% of subjects in 30 days; ¤ increases by 150% the intestinal population of bifidobacteria and halves the Clostridia population (two beneficial effects);
¤ purifies the blood by reducing its ammonia content by 50% in 30 days’;
¤ significantly improves the activity of Natural Killer Cells, a key element of the immune system, and strengthens the immune system itself by detoxifying the toxic compounds produced in the intestines; significantly reduces the proliferation of Helicobacter pylori bacteria; stops the progression of renal insufficiency and maintains normal levels of creatinine; reduces levels of uric acid and reduces the pain associated with gout; decreases production of leucotrienes (allergenic agents implicated in asthma attacks and hayfever); is a powerful antioxidant effective against several free radicals. by your therapist.

http://www.super-smart.eu/en--Mastic-Gum-Elma--Mouth-care--0378

Sugar- and aspartame-free chewing gum with essential oil of Pistacia lentiscus
Directions for use : Recommended use: Chewing Mastic Gum between meals helps maintain and restore oral hygiene while preventing insidious periodontal inflammation which can lead to gum disease and tooth loss.
Mastic Gum is an oral hygiene product that is both traditional and advanced. In a modern, deliciously natural, sugar- and aspartame-free base, Mastic Gum provides all the scientifically-recognized properties of the island of Chios’ renowned mastic and its essential oil:
Natural and powerful anti-bacterial action which can deal with even the most harmful and persistent bacteria such as Helicobacter pylori, as well as other periodontal and gingival bacteria
Freshens breath and fights halitosis
Prevents formation of dental plaque and tartar
Strengthens and whitens teeth, brightening smiles
Neutralizes acids produced by fermenting sugars
Prevents gum inflammation and dental caries
Reduces periodontal fungi
Composition
Ingredients: mastic gum, mastic essential oil, xylitol, sorbitol, mannitol, menthol, glycerin, wax, emollients Each box contains 10 sugar-free pieces of chewing gum

Thanks for all the info. I've just ordered an alum stick and some Agaricus bisporus pills. Going to check out chlorella now.

3D Student said:
Thanks for all the info. I've just ordered an alum stick and some Agaricus bisporus pills. Going to check out chlorella now.

When using the mineral stick, make sure either it or your underarm (or wherever) skin is good and wet. And make sure you apply it thoroughly, it's not enough to use it like a chemical deodorant stick, i.e. a quick wipe and you're done. You have to apply it to the whole area that you want to affect. In the case of underarms consider the hairyness factor.

3D Student said:
[..]Recently my family, sister mostly but also mother, have told me that I smell bad. I cannot smell it myself, as these things seem to go, but my sister seems quite disgusted. [..] Nobody at work has told me this, perhaps out of politeness. [..]

They told me at workplace, indirectly in 2007. I didn't have knowledge about these wonderful deodorant solutions offered here by everyone, had no FIR sauna then either. The culprit was:

I made lentil[carrot+parsley] soup with big rye-flour noodles, where i poured a lot of ginger, oregano, thyme and curcuma. They are all anti-oxidants so i used a lot. Lentil + lot of ginger + curcuma longa was a bad idea, because it created a strong, rain-soaked dog smell, which i noticed, was pouring from me, perspired strongly out through my skin. The bad smell effect worsened if i ate this magic-soup (very healthy otherwise i think :evil:) for dinner then again in the evening. It tasted delicious, had no time to prepare food every day so i thought it was okay. My colleagues were in for a surprise! :scared: With this info i plan definitely smell good next time! Thank you everyone!

i also use these mineral sticks - they last forever. (don't know if they're really 'healthy' though)
the only other 'cosmetics' i use is soap to shower, i have eleminated everything else.

on body odors:
about 10 years ago i went through a phase where my sweat started to smell 'like it wasn't me' - this lasted for several months before it went away. it was a rather curious experience.

chlorophyl: here is a source for europeans to get spirulina/chlorella (and other stuff) from, if anyone is looking: _http://manako.de/

Perceval said:
When using the mineral stick, make sure either it or your underarm (or wherever) skin is good and wet. And make sure you apply it thoroughly, it's not enough to use it like a chemical deodorant stick, i.e. a quick wipe and you're done. You have to apply it to the whole area that you want to affect. In the case of underarms consider the hairyness factor.

Will do. I've always applied a little more than a quick wipe, just in case.

hey Daniel and 3D
closely related females will always dislike the smell of a related male...its something in the pheromones...and since you stopped masking your smell with deodorant... maybe some of your female coworkers find your smell strangely attractive but are too embarrassed to say anything?
ask some friends for an objective smell test to get some more data on this

my daughter thinks her brothers smell bad too but when they are in their sweaty motorbike gear the girls just get attracted to them like flies to honey :P

Here is an article from Dr. Mercola about the mineral salt deodorants:

_http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/02/16/aluminum-lurks-in-crystal-deodorants.aspx

Posted by: Dr. Mercola
February 16 2010 | 69,754 views

Some of the most popular natural deodorants are the "crystal" deodorant stones and sprays. But most people don't know that these crystal deodorant products contain aluminum.

The crystal deodorant stones are made from alum. The most widely used form of alum used in the personal care industry is potassium alum. The full chemical name of potassium alum is potassium aluminum sulfate.

The reason that most people try to avoid aluminum in deodorant is because of its possible link to Alzheimer's disease. There is some strong evidence of a link -- for instance, in 1988 a truck driver accidentally dumped 20 tons of aluminum sulfate in to a town's drinking water.

Now, over 20 years later, they are finding a higher incidence of Alzheimer’s in the people of this town.

Incidentally, the article linked below notes that, “many doctors such as popular web guru and natural health expert Dr. Mercola suggest avoiding aluminum as much as possible.”

Sheesh, is there anything "safe" in this world to use?

Back
Top Bottom