Buckwheat - A Super Food!

Heimdallr said:
Have you guys tried making a biscuit recipe from the buckwheat? I'd love try some biscuits and gravy with the bison sausage we get here. Would the muffin recipe suffice for that? Sorry I'm a bit ignorant when it comes to cooking different kinds of breads.

Stevie's muffin recipe might be ok but it is based on sourdough. If you don't have sourdough, the closest thing to a biscuit I can think of is a pan bread. One recipe that could work for you is the one of Trevrizent in Gluten-free recipes, page 5, post #69, second recipe. You could bake it without lid.

Heimdallr said:
Have you guys tried making a biscuit recipe from the buckwheat? I'd love try some biscuits and gravy with the bison sausage we get here. Would the muffin recipe suffice for that? Sorry I'm a bit ignorant when it comes to cooking different kinds of breads.
broken.english said:
Stevie's muffin recipe might be ok but it is based on sourdough. If you don't have sourdough, the closest thing to a biscuit I can think of is a pan bread. One recipe that could work for you is the one of Trevrizent in Gluten-free recipes, page 5, post #69, second recipe. You could bake it without lid.

Interestingly, I’ve just had a first go at making a ‘biscuit’. I was looking for a replacement for a commercial brand of buckwheat crispbread – supplies seem to have terminated around here, and there is no access to the manufacturer’s website,which is an other than good sign – the buckwheat crispbreads are useful for eating when walking in the mountains – they come in several packets of five in the box, each packet is useful for an afternoon snack or for lunch. The ingredients quoted on the box are: wholemeal buckwheat flour (96.6%), whole cane sugar (2%), sea salt, (1.5%).

I came across an old English recipe for Mereworth biscuits, a light flaky plain biscuit – this was the closest I could get, they are meant to puff up – 250g plain flour, 30g butter, a pinch of salt and some hot milk to make a soft but firm dough. Looking at other biscuit recipes, this seemed rather light on butter, and would need something added to puff up a gluten-free flour.

For my first attempt I used the following recipe:
250g buckwheat flour
120g butter
1/4tsp salt
1tsp Xylitol
1tsp baking powder
warm goat’s milk (2tbsp used)

I mixed all the dry ingredients in all a large plastic bag and shook them up before putting them in a bowl. The butter was then rubbed in, and finally the warm milk added. A ‘dough’ was produced that was firm but soft, slightly wetter than pastry.

The dough was rolled out between two sheets of parchment paper (to stop the dough sticking to the board and rolling pin, and it aids transport to the baking sheet). I rolled the dough out to approximately 1/8 thick, and cut the dough into rounds (it made about 30).

In a pre-heated oven (220C, 425F, Gas Mk 7) the dough rounds were placed on greased baking trays and baked for 5-8 minutes until slightly browned. They were then cooled and stored in an airtight container. There was a lack of evidence of ‘puffed up’! It was a biscuit (fragile) rather than a crispbread, or wafer.

The next attempt (I didn’t want to go on to an egg mixture just yet, as that would be too much like pastry), was based around an Anzac biscuit recipe, and used to modify the first recipe. This recipe also gave the 'secret' of getting the mixture to foam up.

Recipe 2:
250g buckwheat flour
1/4tsp salt

120g butter
1 1/2tsp Xylitol

1/2tsp bicarbonate of soda
hot water (2tbsp) plus 125ml (1/2Cup)

The first two ingredients were mixed together in a large plastic bag, before placing in a large mixing bowl.
The butter was melted in a pan over a low heat with the 1 1/2tsp Xylitol.
The bicarbonate of soda was placed in a separate bowl and the 2tbsp boiling water poured over it. This mixture was then stirred into the melted butter so that it foamed up.
The resultant wet mix was then poured into the dry ingredients, and finally mixed to produce a wet dough using the rest of the 125ml of hot water (more could be used to get the ‘dough’ to pour).

The wet dough was spooned onto two greased baking sheets (8in x 12in), roughly smoothed, and transferred to a pre-heated oven (150C, 300F,Gas Mk 2) and baked for 20-25mins. After 10 minutes, the ‘dough’ was scored into rectangles (16 in each tray), before baking was resumed.

The biscuits were taken out of the oven, left for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to fully cool. Store in an airtight container.

Still a biscuit, and softer, yet lots easier to make. For a first time biscuit maker there is more work to do!

Wow, thanks Trevrizent. I'll try my hand at the biscuit making soon, most likely using your second recipe, and see how it works. They make an excellent side dish!

broken.english said:
Dios mios! With 32% fat in a bread recipe you will surely set a new record.

I don't mind, fats are quite beneficial to us. Much more than we have been led to believe by modern nutritional philosophy. It shouldn't be surprising, but it still stings to know it is but one more lie that has been shoved down our throats.

By the way, how did you calculate the 32% fat in the bread recipe?

broken.english

Yas ! , 70% success with your recipe. It rose beautifully :) but fell in the middle when baking :( , so I will use a bit less water next time as I used about 100g starter but forgot to take the water down to compensate. One more go then I am back on all raw for a few months detox ,raw sprouted dehydrated buckwheat sesame seed and flax breads, corn wraps and flax crackers here we come :)

Thanks BE for your help.

Heimdallr said:
broken.english said:
Dios mios! With 32% fat in a bread recipe you will surely set a new record.

I don't mind, fats are quite beneficial to us. Much more than we have been led to believe by modern nutritional philosophy. It shouldn't be surprising, but it still stings to know it is but one more lie that has been shoved down our throats.

By the way, how did you calculate the 32% fat in the bread recipe?

By ignoring the water, which is not correct, I must admit. I am used to German bread, which contains little to no fat. For gf sourdough baking I prefer flax seed instead of oil or fat. It binds water and contains linoleic acid.

Stevie Argyll said:
broken.english

Yas ! , 70% success with your recipe. It rose beautifully :) but fell in the middle when baking :( , so I will use a bit less water next time as I used about 100g starter but forgot to take the water down to compensate. One more go then I am back on all raw for a few months detox ,raw sprouted dehydrated buckwheat sesame seed and flax breads, corn wraps and flax crackers here we come :)

Thanks BE for your help.

Fine!

Aside from the water the 100g starter must also have shortened the rising times quite some.

broken.english said:
Stevie Argyll said:
broken.english

Thanks BE for your help.

Fine!

Aside from the water the 100g starter must also have shortened the rising times quite some.

It has risen way above the tin, pity it collapsed in the middle. The outsides were delicious - lots of scope for savoury or herby versions :)

Thought I would give you some images of our buckwheat blinis:

blini_platter.jpg

They are fast and easy to make, and you can make a platter like this while dinner is cooking so you always have a platter of bread on the table!

Next, buckwheat carrot cake.

carrot_cake.jpg

And just so you know what else we had for dinner besides chicken, blinis and carrot cake for dessert, here is a little harvest from our garden... picked, washed and cooked within half an hour.

garden_goodies.jpg

Laura said:
Thought I would give you some images of our buckwheat blinis:

OMG, that looks so good!!! I love carrot cake, I have my own recipe that involves oranges, almond and it's delicious. No wheat, no egg and no milk!

Laura said:
I'm sensitive to almonds.

Only to almonds?? Or all kind of nuts?? Laura I'm waiting for your fish and chips cooking video!!!! :lol: :lol: sounds good :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plukenetia_volubilis This nuts, are like pistachos, they are ultra healthy, you can also use their oil to cook is really good for keeping a healthy heart and brain, lots of good fatty acids

EDU

There is a 97% chance that I salivated when I saw the carrot cake picture. It looks deeeeee-licious!

Did you take a standard carrot cake recipe and apply the usual buckwheat ingredient switcherooni?

EGVG said:
Laura said:
I'm sensitive to almonds.

Only to almonds?? Or all kind of nuts??

Nuts in general though I am going to try an experiment with soaking them first. Almonds react the same as eggs, dairy and gluten in my system. Many people have the same reactions so it is best, at the beginning, to eliminate them from the diet also and then carefully test for them in the elimination diet process.

Ark and a couple others in the house do fine with almonds but not all nuts.

Nathan said:
There is a 97% chance that I salivated when I saw the carrot cake picture. It looks deeeeee-licious!

Did you take a standard carrot cake recipe and apply the usual buckwheat ingredient switcherooni?

Well, there are a few things that we have learned that you have to do slightly different when working with buckwheat. Athena made this cake (she's becoming quite the bake master with buckwheat) so I'll let her explain how she did it.

Back
Top Bottom