Buckwheat Crepes and Pancakes

Psalehesost said:
Also, once the batter is otherwise ready, you can add a fair bit of ground beef or other ground meat to it - then stir it until the meat is spread around evenly. Such meaty blinis end up quite well, though for some reason require more fat - they make a more balanced meal when had alone also. I'll also now consider trying to get bacon into the blinis instead of having it alongside them - but it might not be worth the effort, unlike with ground meat.

Bacon blinis were underwhelming. The ground beef version remains a good option, though.

Psalehesost said:
Bacon blinis were underwhelming. The ground beef version remains a good option, though.

I can attest to ground beef blinis. I made some a few weeks ago and they were really good and filling. I even got complements that it smelled like pizza. :P It's a nice way to make a savory blini.

Had not seen this mentioned yet (although I may have missed it in the thread).

This morning I cooked blini's followed by bacon in the same pan. I use a little grape seed oil to make the bacon extra crispy.
Well afterwards I was looking at all the fat left in the pan wondering what to do with it today (sometimes I make a gravy out of it).
So I chucked the blini's back in the pan (they had cooled down after being stood for about 15minutes) and fried each of them again until they where extra crispy and all the extra fat was used up.
They are soooooo good! Crispy bacon flavoured buckwheat tortilla chips! Can't recommend them enough! :D

RedFox said:
So I chucked the blini's back in the pan (they had cooled down after being stood for about 15minutes) and fried each of them again until they where extra crispy and all the extra fat was used up.
They are soooooo good! Crispy bacon flavoured buckwheat tortilla chips! Can't recommend them enough! :D

I really like this too -- what I do every morning is I fry bacon first, and while it's cooking I mix up the blini mix. When I take the bacon out, I just cook the blinis in the fresh grease. I discovered a way to make them even crispier recently -- I add sweet potato starch to the mix (I do it pretty simply, with just buckwheat flour and almond milk), and this makes them even crunchier on the outside but chewy on the inside. I think you could use arrowroot instead of sweet potato starch if you wanted to, but I haven't tried that yet.

Back
Top Bottom