Buckwheat Sourdough Starters?

Re: Buckwheat sourdough bread

Hi glutenfreesourdoughbaker (or would you prefer Sharon? :) )

It sound like you have a lot of good information to share. Great! Sharing knowledge is what the forum is about. It's customary for a new member to post something in the Newbies section. You've made a good start here. If there's anything else you'd like to tells us, that the place.

We hope you'll enjoy exploring other topics in the Forum, and look forward to more from you on sourdough and other goodies (yumm!!)

Herondancer

glutenfreesourdoughbaker said:
I started baking them to manage my own personal food allergies, gluten, dairy, eggs, yeast and soy. Lest you think I'm miserable, let me assure you, I eat well and I eat beautiful food every day. I started teaching bread baking classes so that others could learn.

I noticed Broken English uses Baking ferment powder. I think I'm using something similar, Water Kefir, which is a cultured drink. It gives a boost to the yeast and bacteria and prevents spoilage. One could also use kombucha tea, live yoghurt, whey or kefir milk. Before I used these boosters my starters use to spoil. Now they carry on nice and bubbly.

Looking forward to hearing more,
sharon, glutenfreesourdoughbaker

Hi Sharon, if it's dairy free, how can you use kefir, live yoghurt, whey or kefir milk?

RyanX said:
My latest kick has been using the rice sourdough culture to make buckwheat crepes. The night before, I'll set out a bowl with 1C rice sourdough culture + 2.5C buckwheat flour + 2 cups distilled water + 1 tbsp organic sugar + 1 tsp salt. I mix this up and let it sit overnight. In the morning I add 2 beaten eggs, 1/3C fat/oil and then 1tsp baking soda. The sourdough culture turns the buckwheat batter acidic overnight and with the addition of baking soda, the bowl gets quite bubbly. This makes for nice and puffy buckwheat pancakes/crepes :D

RyanX, do you think your crepe recipe would work without eggs? I have to admit, although I've been a cook for many years, I've never really ventured into baking. Going gluten free for me really just meant going baked products free, which I'm generally OK with. But my recent success with Laura's date bread has me curious about other potential baked goods. Maybe I'll give some GF sourdough recipes a try...

To Anart,
I do not use dairy kefir for my sourdoughs, I use something called "Water Kefir" which is an entirely different culture from dairy kefir and uses sugar, raisins and lemon to make the fermented liquid. It works really well and can also be used as a tonic to strengthen the digestive and immune systems.
I have compiled my starter recipes in a free download from my website: http://www.sanctuary-healing.com/food-recipes.html

sincerely,
sharon, glutenfreesourdoughbaker

Laura said:
RyanX posted a sourdough bread recipe but it was a wheat bread. I'm interested in whether or not sourdough starters can be made without wheat flour. Anyone game to try? I found this on the net:

Laura,
Did you end up trying to make a sourdough started with BuckWheat flour? How did it go. Anyone else done it?

I have only just found out about this 'sourdough starter' since reading up in the various threads on Buckwheat flour and recipes here in this forum.

I am quite keen to get started in making a starter and using buckwheat for my dough cooking. I really want to keep things simple and use the least number of ingredients as possible...some of the gluten-free, and buckwheat flour dough recipes are just too much, ingredients numbering in the teens, some of which I don't know of and fear I can't get. I'd like to be able to bake as they did 1000's of years ago

Thanks

Dingo said:
Laura,
Did you end up trying to make a sourdough started with BuckWheat flour? How did it go. Anyone else done it?

Dingo,

I don't know if you saw it or not, but there was another thread made about buckwheat sourdough bread where an actual buckwheat starter was used:

http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=16675.0

Hope that helps.

Mods: Should these topics be merged?

RyanX said:
Dingo said:
Laura,

Dingo,

I don't know if you saw it or not, but there was another thread made about buckwheat sourdough bread where an actual buckwheat starter was used:

Hope that helps.

I tried that link but it is saying error occurred or I am off limits! :scared:

Hi Dingo,

The topics have been merged, therefore the link will not work. The link that RyanX was referring to is now here. :)

Dingo said:
RyanX said:
Dingo said:
Laura,

Dingo,

Hope that helps.

Something is really going wrong here. My original recipe disappeared(not good as the recipe still draws attention to the forum!) and the content is now mixed with the sourdough starter thread, which until now does not give any guidance how to make a sourdough starter. I can give some but I think we should sort this out first.

broken.english said:
Dingo said:
RyanX said:
Dingo said:
Laura,

Dingo,

Hope that helps.

Something is really going wrong here. My original recipe disappeared(not good as the recipe still draws attention to the forum!) and the content is now mixed with the sourdough starter thread, which until now does not give any guidance how to make a sourdough starter. I can give some but I think we should sort this out first.

Yes please, that is what I am after too. I had already read through that whole thread that Vulcan pointed me too, but it didn't actually tell me how to make a straight out and out buckwheat sourdough starter, that would be really good!

We recently learned that water and gluten-free flour mix will naturally ferment and create a sourdough starter.

In our case, we used rice flour but, since we're trying to avoid rice for a while, we'll next try combinations of any of the following: sorgum, millet, buckwheat, teff, oatmeal or amarynth flours.

It takes at least 5 days, each day stirring, adding more flour and water.

Approximate measures and materials:

A large glass or ceramic jug/jar with a cork or non-metalic stopper

A wooden spoon (or silicone, plastic, etc. as long as it isn't metal, which apparently kills the process)

1 cup of flour mix

3/4 cup distilled water (well, toxin free anyway)

Start by adding 3/4 cup water and 1 cup flour mix and stir well and cover for a day.

Next day, add the same amount of water and flour and stir well.

Repeat this for a total of 5 days. By the end of the 3rd day, we started seeing bubbles form.

By the 5th day, it started taking on a yeasty smell.

After the 5th day, we stopped adding to the started and just stirred it every day until we were ready to use it.

Whatever you use in a bread recipe, you replace in the starter.

Recently discovered pretty much identical method at _http://gluten-dairy-sugarfree.com/?p=884 so this could be a common method.

A couple things we noticed:

Water must be slightly warm but not hot or it will either slow down growth or kill it.

Also, it is very hard to control how much you should adjust water in bread recipe as I cannot discern how "wet" the starter is.

Gonzo

broken.english said:
Dingo said:
RyanX said:
Dingo said:
Laura,

Dingo,

Hope that helps.

broken.english,

Your recipe hasn't disappeared, it is just merged. Since a sourdough culture is really the defining part of making any sourdough recipe, wouldn't it be better suited to put the sourdough recipes along with any starter instructions and other health-related information on sourdough in a single single thread?

We tried the sourdough business but it was too much hassle and we are so happy with our blinis that we prefer them to anything else.

Back
Top Bottom