Can anyone see what's happening?

Ruth

The Living Force
This is kind of an open ended question, but to get an idea, take a look at some of the interactions/comments here:

I don't think it's the articles that are responsible for the types of behaviors or interactions, I think it's because it has been made 'easier' to do so by that red bell application. It's like the equivalent of 'feeding the animals' in a national park. It's not going to help anyone displaying odd or unpleasant behavior or attitudes to interact normally with society. And I'm not particularly fond of watching or engaging with this type of thing, either.

It's gone way beyond the point where it's simply a case of one or two people liking the 'sound of their own voices'. I would like to recommend removing that red bell notification application. At least this may drastically reduce some of the 'noise' happening. What do you think?

It's created a conversational repertoire that is very honest. We have to learn how to synthesize this somehow. I confess I came to this late so thank you.

Being able to respond in real time in a post creates a conversation, bringing out some surprising stuff. I think it's a very good thing, but it's weird. It's like the dark underbelly that's normally hidden coming up into the light.

It's not gonna be comfortable to truly see how people are and what those so unbelievably dissimilar views clashing is going to produce in the long term. In fact, these personalities have, in fact, known all of each other for many years of comments on the articles.

Maybe this has also created a form of blindness where you 'know' the person commenting and don't really see the comment as it is written and instead respond to what that comment informs you of the person you think you know. Who knows.

I find this extremely illuminating, and raced through the thread in fascination, but am still speechless for a 'solution' as you desire, since barring censorship eliminates a tried and tested authoritarian tactic. Damn. So what is left then is where we still truly are. Disunited.

I think it's because it has been made 'easier' to do so by that red bell application

Excuse me for asking, but can you maybe explain what you mean by "red bell application"? A new way of replying on SOTT? A feature you don't like there? Or a feature that you worry that it increases noise? I couldn't find what you mean.

Excuse me for asking, but can you maybe explain what you mean by "red bell application"? A new way of replying on SOTT? A feature you don't like there? Or a feature that you worry that it increases noise? I couldn't find what you mean.

She's talking about the notification you get when someone leaves a comment on a story you have already commented on. Notice the bell in the upper right corner of SOTT? It turns red when that happens.

Last edited:
She's talking about the notification you get when someone leaves a comment on a story you have already commented on. Have you noticed the bell in the upper right corner of SOTT? It turns red when that happens.

I see! Never noticed it actually, but now I do. Usually I'm around german SOTT, which has a lot less comments and commentators.

Every now and then a story seems to generate a flood of comments, argumentation, vitriol, genius, and more. It seems to have no real relation to the story. This thread has the most I think, as 30+ comments just from 8PM last night. Anyway, Ruth is referencing and is concerned about some of the perceived attacks occurring there from old-time commenters.

It is an unforeseen development of almost real-time speech instead of long-form posts. So much shorter, in general, and more emotional types of postings. I find it very interesting but it also appears quite dangerous, sometimes. There are feuds going on that are very old, and transpose themselves across articles.

Ruth is understandably worried, and is requesting a way to turn off or on the 'red bell ability'; maybe in the settings somewhere it could be easily added so those those not willing to be notified of instant replies can have it turned off ... I would like also the ability to change the colour in the settings, but everyone is so busy.... :P

Every now and then a story seems to generate a flood of comments, argumentation, vitriol, genius, and more. It seems to have no real relation to the story. This thread has the most I think, as 30+ comments just from 8PM last night. Anyway, Ruth is referencing and is concerned about some of the perceived attacks occurring there from old-time commenters.

It is an unforeseen development of almost real-time speech instead of long-form posts. So much shorter, in general, and more emotional types of postings. I find it very interesting but it also appears quite dangerous, sometimes. There are feuds going on that are very old, and transpose themselves across articles.

Ruth is understandably worried, and is requesting a way to turn off or on the 'red bell ability'; maybe in the settings somewhere it could be easily added so those those not willing to be notified of instant replies can have it turned off ... I would like also the ability to change the colour in the settings, but everyone is so busy.... :P

The 'attacks' are not generally coming from old-time commenters. I think they are mainly from the newer people to the website and those with obvious psychological issues. I think many of them just like attention. They are often quite noisy and rude and usually off topic, personal and in subjects that are 'triggering' for some people.

I don't think this has happened before to such an extent and I think it has to do with the red bell function which means its easier to get alerts.

I would like to recommend removing that red bell notification application. At least this may drastically reduce some of the 'noise' happening. What do you think?

I would wait with removing it. In fact, I had been waiting for some extension like that because in the vast volume of articles published they often disappeared out of sight very soon and some interesting questions remained unanswered and links got lost etc.

I understand your concern but at the same time if there are people among the long-time SOTT readers who want to react to some nonsense emotionally let them show it so everyone can see what's hidden in their minds. Maybe using the red bell extension will be short lived if not proven useful but now I see it as a kind of interesting social experiment. It's true that one of the things most of us value SOTT for is its quality of the comment section. I would wait and see if the situation stabilizes or bursts out into something that should be stopped. Perhaps the given article was really something exceptional. Perhaps a big part of the Cass/SOTT community is single people or people who really desire a truthful relationship but had no success so far and their hormones get easily triggered when topic like the one in question comes up.

Please pardon my comments, I am not a Sott editor. I read the article and the comments and I believe that the initial reaction that gave the tone to the subsequent train of comebacks was because the article was incomplete and slightly imbalanced. The first part that introduces the problem was too short, the problem was too elaborated and issues stated in bold letters and there was no counter attempt dedicated to the masculine reader to take the initiative to ask their wifes or mothers or daughters clarifying questions.
Just to clarify, my writing experience is limited to technical reports.

This is kind of an open ended question, but to get an idea, take a look at some of the interactions/comments here:

I don't think it's the articles that are responsible for the types of behaviors or interactions, I think it's because it has been made 'easier' to do so by that red bell application. It's like the equivalent of 'feeding the animals' in a national park. It's not going to help anyone displaying odd or unpleasant behavior or attitudes to interact normally with society. And I'm not particularly fond of watching or engaging with this type of thing, either.

It's gone way beyond the point where it's simply a case of one or two people liking the 'sound of their own voices'. I would like to recommend removing that red bell notification application. At least this may drastically reduce some of the 'noise' happening. What do you think?

I'm trying to ignore hateful comments on the site, but I get sucked right into it, and what I see is new site commenters arriving that are treating sott.net like reddit and flame threads rising up. I mean, you can't account for people's tact, but when a story on HIV is overrun by gay bashing, then the function of the notifications is not helping foster better conversations. I've even been accused of stalking when it's simply a coincidence that the same person keeps making hateful and asinine comments over and over on stories that I read. I may just stop commenting altogether because I see more and echo chambers forming and now I worry about retaliation.

I'm trying to ignore hateful comments on the site, but I get sucked right into it
I think it's an opportunity to learn something and to give something back. Guess there was barely a dozen of people who launched SOTT.net. They had a definite intention, a plan which developed over time. Today SOTT is a gift to all of us and we should not just be comfortably sitting in our chairs, consuming the best of news.

If you feel related to an article you just finished reading, you will probably leave a comment. That way you engage, you are adding value to the information presented. If you are disturbed by comments that follow there comes the harder part - you need to stand your ground. I am not saying to dive into abusive, emotionally depleting exchange - you can actually stop it by showing mirror to an abuser. One sentence is enough, no need to comment further and feed the trolls.

what I see is new site commentators arriving that are treating sott.net like reddit and flame threads rising up.
You are right but that is something what was going to happen sooner or later. Back in old days we all could rely on the founders who would chime in, often in concerted manner and explain an attacker where his/her place is. Now it's time for us, happy readers/listeners, to show that we do like SOTT and don't want to let its value be diluted by garbage. People behind SOTT have been hoping there will be others joining who could be put on the step behind them. If no one turns up, SOTT will die.

I may just stop commenting altogether because I see more and echo chambers forming and now I worry about retaliation.
If you are concerned then it might mean you are the right person to defend the integrity of the site, not only here but right there. Perhaps do some pipe breathing, calm down and then take action which you think is best. The choice is yours, entirely.

Don't think we can blame the notification function, it's mostly used by decent people on Sott to keep up with the comments. There are just a few foul-mouthed commenters. One of them was banned today, so that should tone things down a bit. Scottie is also going to add the option of closing articles to comments when we want to, so that will help also.

Please pardon my comments, I am not a Sott editor. I read the article and the comments and I believe that the initial reaction that gave the tone to the subsequent train of comebacks was because the article was incomplete and slightly imbalanced. The first part that introduces the problem was too short, the problem was too elaborated and issues stated in bold letters and there was no counter attempt dedicated to the masculine reader to take the initiative to ask their wifes or mothers or daughters clarifying questions.

I don't think that was the problem. The problem, as we've across Western society in the last few years, is the topic of feminism and "men vs women". You could generate the same types of comments from the same type of people by posting an article with the title "Feminism sucks" and in the text "feminism sucks".

I think it might be useful to start a thread here where regular readers of Sott can notify us about comment sections that have gotten out of hand. Anyone up for helping out with such a thing?

I finally got so tired of the red bell on this topic that I signed out of SOTT. I’ll sign back in when I’m moved to comment on an article again. It’s not the first time I’ve regretted commenting on something there. It would be different if I could unfollow a topic, but that’s not an option. The problem for me is that from time to time certain of the regulars there will spend days, sometimes weeks just having fun among themselves just bashing away at some subject. I’m glad to see people are speaking about this! The problem for me is that red bell has to alert me every time one of them have come up with something clever to say, “she should be barefoot in the kitchen yuck yuck!” since I last read the news. And I have to visit the page to make the red bell go away. That’s annoying. So I sign out of SOTT so I can read SOTT in peace.

It would most definitely be nice to have a “No longer receive notifications for this topic” option when reader responses go well beyond your moving on point.

Back
Top Bottom