Canning meat/what Equipment is needed, how much canning is necessary

I've never tried canning lard as it seems there might be some issue with a correct tightening of the lids. So I'm going to try the way it's possible to do it according to this process on yt, which seems pretty simple, and will report as soon as I'm able to get some fat:

Canning bolognese sauce with minced beef is fine, isn't it?
Should be. Is there anything weird in your recipe besides beef? The rule of thumb seems to be that you process stuff according to the ingredient that takes the longest time. That would be the beef. Lots of folks on the interwebs have posted about it. Here's two to get started:

Should be. Is there anything weird in your recipe besides beef? The rule of thumb seems to be that you process stuff according to the ingredient that takes the longest time. That would be the beef. Lots of folks on the interwebs have posted about it. Here's two to get started:

I just bought cheap jars of dolmio premade sauce tbh and then ground beef, browned the beef, added the sauce, heated through, jarred and cooked for 90 mins at 11pi

I've bought a lot of cheap popping lids and made a potato casserole with bacon. Wanted to have something calorie-dense. Haven't yet had a problem with the lid that hasn't sealed properly. I always try to leave space for two fingers on the top.
DSC_0649.jpg
If someone is from Poland and is interested in the lids, here is the auction (0.42PLN per piece). They are working great with these jars (which I find perfect for my family's needs).

Can someone in the US please help me out? I would like to order some spare parts for my All-American pressure canner but those items cannot be shipped to europe.

These are the parts i would like to order (1 of each)
All American Top Handle with Screws
2-Pack 11-Inch Pressure Cooker Canner Rack
All American 2040 Pressure Cooker Rubber Overpressure Plug 3 Pack
All American 72 Pressure Cooker Steam Gauge
All American Vent Pipe
All American Pressure Regulator Weight

I will pay you in advance and extra for the time and effort expended.

@Moderators: I don't know if it is allowed to post such requests in the forum. Please feel free to delete this post if i violated the forum rules!

Can someone in the US please help me out? I would like to order some spare parts for my All-American pressure canner but those items cannot be shipped to europe.

All American Vent Pipe

@Moderators: I don't know if it is allowed to post such requests in the forum. Please feel free to delete this post if i violated the forum rules!
I'm sure your intentions are completely honorable, but there are two implicit opportunities for scams in the request - one is to simply void whatever electronic transfer was made after goods have been shipped to you, the other is to blackmail the sender as a member of a group with decidedly unconventional views, among other sensitive matters.

Good luck getting spare parts in! I'm sure there are other ways to procure them with a bit more creativity!

I'm sure your intentions are completely honorable, but there are two implicit opportunities for scams in the request - one is to simply void whatever electronic transfer was made after goods have been shipped to you, the other is to blackmail the sender as a member of a group with decidedly unconventional views, among other sensitive matters.

Good luck getting spare parts in! I'm sure there are other ways to procure them with a bit more creativity!
Good points.
If anyone in europe knows a way to get All-American parts or has found other sources then please let me know.
First and foremost i need the "Pressure Regulator Weight".

All American Vent Pipe

I managed to get the parts needed. Anyone who needs spare parts and is also searching for a delivery method, here is how i got them.
There are two ways which i tried.
1) Freight forwarder: I opened an account on a freight forwarder and set the amazon shipping address to the one provided by the forwarder. This took quite some time to get the parts but other than that it went smoothly. There are many freight forwarder out there but i personally used https://www.myus.com/ for no specific reason other than it was the first in my search results.

2) Because initially i got the message from amazon that my order might be lost, i searched for another method and found this site: https://www.ubuy.co.de/en
In the navbar at the top you can select the country you want your order to be delivered to. The list of available countries is quite large and chances are that your country is supported. This site feels like amazon with international delivery. The only caveat i encountered was that at the time i ordered the products they were listed as available but later i got notice that they are out of stock. They did however refund the money and also reduced the shipping costs accordingly. Since i only got one product of my whole order i wanted to cancel the whole order but this wasn't possible anymore since it got already shipped. So in the end i paid quite allot in terms of shipping costs for only one product. This might be the only thing that i may classify as a sort of rip off.

Hello,
When processing is done (90min at +11psi), is it fine to let the jars inside the canner overnight and take them out the next morning ?
Presto Manual says to remove jars and let them cool outside the canner but I noticed that after some time, the vaccum buldge on the lid tend to pop out. (I have the german jars with the one piece lid). Then It pops in again and the seal looks fine. So I figured if it is better to let them do this inside the sterilized envirronment of the canner. Thoughts?

The jars shall be removed from the canner. Few reasons (there might be more). One - leaving the jars in the hot water keeps the content cooking and some things like veggies or fruits become mushy when "overcooked". Not like there is any crunch after pressure cooking, but the consistency is not very appealing. Two - jars need to be cooled down in slower & controlled pace. That`s why you`ll see the jars wrapped in an old blanket overnight. Three - jars do break from time to time, and if it happens inside the canner, it gets diffucult to remove the shards and the rest out and not to get injured not to mention the cleaning the whole thing.

If the vacuum does not seal the lids completely "suck the lids in" without popping back, I would not trust the content for longer therm storage. If it happens put the jars in the fridge and consume within week or so.
How to get a good seal? Lids can be the culprit - use different brand or kind. It doesn`t really matter whether one or two piece. Use something that works. Clean your jars thorougly before the canning. Some people literally boil empty jars without lids in the water for a few minutes. When pouring the content in the jar, use a funnel - really go get one - they are cheap and keep the top of the jar clean. Smallest amount of anything in there will compromise the seal.
Good luck canning!

Hello,
When processing is done (90min at +11psi), is it fine to let the jars inside the canner overnight and take them out the next morning ?
Presto Manual says to remove jars and let them cool outside the canner but I noticed that after some time, the vaccum buldge on the lid tend to pop out. (I have the german jars with the one piece lid). Then It pops in again and the seal looks fine. So I figured if it is better to let them do this inside the sterilized envirronment of the canner. Thoughts?
It doesn't matter as far as I know. I've done both. When I finish canning something late at night, I'm to tired to wait for the canner to cool down so I leave it on the stove after I turn it off. The jars are sealed in the morning. Otherwise I remove the jars from the canner after it reaches zero pressure, put them on a towel to cool. It might take a little longer for the jars to cool in the canner, especially if you leave the 10-11 psi weight on the outlet, but I think it should be fine either way.

Sitting through Hurricane Ian and I'm hearing quite a few of my pressure canning projects go 'pop' - although I'm not sure if they're the ones full of meat or the empties. I wonder if there have been any studies done on how to ensure not just a good seal, but a good seal that won't come undone because the air pressure decreased!

Hello,
I've done it both ways. Such cases were that (for some reason) I didn't have time to open the canner for cooling down/reducing pressure, only had time to turn off the stove and move the canner off the burner before leaving home in some kind of a rush. When I returned, the canner was cooled off and the jars were all sealed. I just took everything out, removed the rings, checked the seals, then washed and labeled those jars. So, no difference, IMO. Advantage of doing it the usual way is in being able to process another load sooner. On a busy canning day in season, I'll usually try to run 2 15 quart (does 7 quarts) canners in tandem. In my dreams I'd have a 10 quart model (does 4 quarts) sitting on the stove for everyday use when I cook extra food.

Back
Top Bottom