Canning meat/what Equipment is needed, how much canning is necessary

But I wonder if anyone is canning meat from raw? If yes, how long do you can it for? Have you opened any of the jars you canned like that to make sure the meat is properly cooked? If yes, did it taste ok?
Here's what the booklet I have for canning meat with the Presto pressure canner says, p.18:

Raw Pack: Add salt, if desired (see above) to hot jars. Pack raw meat loosely in hot jars, leaving 1-inch headspace. DO NOT ADD LIQUID . Prepare jar rims . Adjust two-piece lids .

Process at 11 pounds pressure, pints 75 minutes and quarts 90 minutes . For processing above 2,000 feet altitude, see chart above for recommended pounds of pressure .
I've been using quart-sized jars (1000ml) for circa 90 minutes. The booklet says to add the meat into hot jars but I keep mine at room temperature. It has worked fine so far. You can see my first attempt canning raw beef here, fwiw.

Attachments

• 01784_4033_014A.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
Same as mine.

I use 750ml jars, process in the canner for 75 min packed with raw meat.

Opened a couple of jars recently, 3 years old, smell and taste was fine.
I always can 1 litre jars for 90 minutes, and half litre jars for 75 minutes.This is what my canner manual has said.
Also, canning raw meat is not a problem. I add spices and/or vegetables and after an hour and a half cooking at high temperature, all is nicely cooked, and tasty when eaten.

Back
Top Bottom