Canning meat/what Equipment is needed, how much canning is necessary

But I wonder if anyone is canning meat from raw? If yes, how long do you can it for? Have you opened any of the jars you canned like that to make sure the meat is properly cooked? If yes, did it taste ok?
Here's what the booklet I have for canning meat with the Presto pressure canner says, p.18:

Raw Pack: Add salt, if desired (see above) to hot jars. Pack raw meat loosely in hot jars, leaving 1-inch headspace. DO NOT ADD LIQUID . Prepare jar rims . Adjust two-piece lids .

Process at 11 pounds pressure, pints 75 minutes and quarts 90 minutes . For processing above 2,000 feet altitude, see chart above for recommended pounds of pressure .
I've been using quart-sized jars (1000ml) for circa 90 minutes. The booklet says to add the meat into hot jars but I keep mine at room temperature. It has worked fine so far. You can see my first attempt canning raw beef here, fwiw.

Attachments

• 01784_4033_014A.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
Same as mine.

I use 750ml jars, process in the canner for 75 min packed with raw meat.

Opened a couple of jars recently, 3 years old, smell and taste was fine.
I always can 1 litre jars for 90 minutes, and half litre jars for 75 minutes.This is what my canner manual has said.
Also, canning raw meat is not a problem. I add spices and/or vegetables and after an hour and a half cooking at high temperature, all is nicely cooked, and tasty when eaten.

I have a more general question. In a very early session from 1994 the C's said this:

October 16, 1994

Q: (L) Several books I have read have advised moving to rural areas and forming groups and storing food etc...

A: Disinformation. Get rid of this once and for all. That is 3rd level garbage.
I understand that it is much more important "who we are and what we see", but this comment from the C's seems to contradict the intent and purpose of this and other similar threads.

One possibility I see is that at that time in 1994 "moving to rural areas and forming groups and storing food" was unneccesary - and maybe even the wrong focus, which needed to become much more on the soul and what we see.

Any thoughts?

In rural areas prepping (before it even was a word) is a way of life.
When you have about an hour to travel to a decent grocery store/supermarket, your shopping list looks little different from folks living in more populated areas, cities, etc. For us it is that if you forget buy something, you go without till the next shopping trip. Forget an ingredient equals to improvisation and sometimes hilarious culinary outcomes. :-) Trip back wasting 2.5 hours is simply waste of time.

Canning and food prep comes from similar vein. In the aftermath of hurricane Helen we could give food away to our neighbors who were unable to move anywhere, had no power or otherwise.

In my opinion a little bit of food and water stored for later in smart even for city dwellers, since we do not know what future holds.

In rural areas prepping (before it even was a word) is a way of life.
When you have about an hour to travel to a decent grocery store/supermarket, your shopping list looks little different from folks living in more populated areas, cities, etc. For us it is that if you forget buy something, you go without till the next shopping trip. Forget an ingredient equals to improvisation and sometimes hilarious culinary outcomes. :-) Trip back wasting 2.5 hours is simply waste of time.

Canning and food prep comes from similar vein. In the aftermath of hurricane Helen we could give food away to our neighbors who were unable to move anywhere, had no power or otherwise.

In my opinion a little bit of food and water stored for later in smart even for city dwellers, since we do not know what future holds.
I agree that it is a good thing to have a stockpile of non-perishables on hand, and for a variety of reasons.
  1. When everyone around you is going batty ahead of a major storm and maybe store shelves are getting bare, you can just pull out a few candles.
  2. You might find yourself in a situation of needing to feed extra people for a while.
  3. Fewer grocery runs means that much less risk of exposure to zombies, contagion, violence or whatever else might be on the menu those days.
  4. A well stocked pantry is an excellent alternative savings account, and of late a pretty good investment. Groceries are getting wildly expensive, and I don't see it getting any better in the short term.
  5. Word on the street is that if we ever come to food consfication, FEMA won't touch our home-canned goods.
  6. Large scale cooking (with canning/freezing/dehydrating the extra servings/meals) can ultimately be a time and energy saver.
  7. You'll always have some food on hand to share.

Provident Living website has good advice and resources for self-reliant living. Goal plans for starting with a week, then a month, then 3 months, then a year, then 2 years worth of food and funding so as to weather whatever storm comes along. I think a goal of being able to go for 3 months without income is reasonable and sensible. Just a few years ago, many of us were backed into a corner with fear of job loss if we didn't do something.

I had not heard of dry canning before, but I found this video that proposes a different way of dry canning in the oven. It seems to work. So, for those of you who have some jars to spare this could be an option:
In my experience with this, the quality of the rice and beans has suffered a bit, but it does kill the weevils. Also, glass is fragile, so best to store such goods near a floor.

Water and energy storage:
Water is an excellent thermal energy storage battery, and is endlessly rechargeable.
If you pack every extra square inch of your refrigerator and freezer with bottled water, there will be very little air exchange when you open those doors. This can save a lot of energy. Also, your goods will stay cold for longer in case of a power outage if there is more already cold thermal mass in them.

I have a more general question. In a very early session from 1994 the C's said this:

I understand that it is much more important "who we are and what we see", but this comment from the C's seems to contradict the intent and purpose of this and other similar threads.

One possibility I see is that at that time in 1994 "moving to rural areas and forming groups and storing food" was unneccesary - and maybe even the wrong focus, which needed to become much more on the soul and what we see.

Any thoughts?
In a more rural area, you might have enough space for a garden and livestock, giving a bit more control over your food sources and quality. OTOH, in a town you might be able to walk or ride a bike to to most things you will need.

Yes, I agree that prepping is necessary.

My question was about that quote from the C's from 1994:

October 16, 1994

Q: (L) Several books I have read have advised moving to rural areas and forming groups and storing food etc...

A: Disinformation. Get rid of this once and for all. That is 3rd level garbage.
Why would they say that "moving to rural areas and forming groups and storing food" is "3rd level garbage" and "disinformation"?

Back
Top Bottom