Canning meat/what Equipment is needed, how much canning is necessary

thanks, I canned 3 jars worth of ground meat and kept the fat in it. The left jar lid didn't want to suck down even after an hour, I put a teaspoon of cold water on lid and it popped instantly and remains stuck on. I can't remember if I learned that hack online. I don't even remember if it's a good hack or a no-no hack.

View attachment 72434

I've read that it's best practice to just refrigerate and eat within a week if your lids don't set. So I think it's a no-no hack, especially if you're planning to store your canning for a few years.

Yeah, I definitely would not recommend rinsing fat off with water! That's a whole ton of nutrients going straight down the drain. People are so weird.

One item in the thread that I've found important is to wash the full jars (when cool) with soapy water to remove the greasy film on the outside of the jars. At first I thought that this greasy film meant I'd messed up somehow, but it's a common occurrence.

Happy canning!

I've canned a lot of cooked ground beef and always leave the fat in.. Also I've dehydrated it but that requires a lot of rinsing to get the fat off before drying since this will become rancid and won't dry properly. Then I store it in Mylar bags with an oxygen absorber, i like the light weight and easy storage compared to the canning jars but I do both.

I've canned a lot of cooked ground beef and always leave the fat in.. Also I've dehydrated it but that requires a lot of rinsing to get the fat off before drying since this will become rancid and won't dry properly. Then I store it in Mylar bags with an oxygen absorber, i like the light weight and easy storage compared to the canning jars but I do both.

So pemmican recipes don't have that long of a shelf life then?

oh and if it helps anyone, most canners are aluminum and won't work on an induction hob, but I just tested my All American Canner on an induction hob using a Heat Diffusor and it worked really well.

I found this out after we got an induction hob. My canner is presto, it didn't work. Didnt want to use a heat diffuser, read mixed reviews on them, can potentially damage the hob so didn't want to risk it with a brand new hob. So I got the gas hob out, camper van size, two hobs on it. Works better I think than the electric hob we had previously. Its a lot easier to keep the pressure constant, don't have to adjust the heat much at all. Works well and I can still can if the power goes. 🙂

I found this out after we got an induction hob. My canner is presto, it didn't work. Didnt want to use a heat diffuser, read mixed reviews on them, can potentially damage the hob so didn't want to risk it with a brand new hob. So I got the gas hob out, camper van size, two hobs on it. Works better I think than the electric hob we had previously. Its a lot easier to keep the pressure constant, don't have to adjust the heat much at all. Works well and I can still can if the power goes. 🙂
well I bought a portable induction hob as i didn't want to try it on my new kitchen induction hob. But it works very well using a diffusor and they cheap. But I do want a gas camping version - perfect for canning in a no power scenario

I like to keep things simple and inexpensive so I use the method my grandmother used. No expensive equipment, just good clean jars and plain large pot. This lady has several recipes on her channel for ideas.
so that's just water bathing? how long do you feel happy to store meat in a jar when done like that? Also can you tell when a can has gone bad? Is the sniff test enough?

Hmm, interesting point. I just looked that up and one site said pemmican can last 3 to 5 years if stored properly which is a good amount of time. I have rendered tallow and it has kept for years(at least 3) in my frig. I also made pemmican then vacuumed sealed it and placed it in my frig 1.5 years ago which I assume is still good. It's just 2 different ways of preserving and fat won't go rancid quickly if its stored properly. Also pemmican will last longer if it only has fat and meat in it.

Last edited:
Pemmican lasts damn near forever. Since the fats used to make it are rendered, it’s shelf stable and there’s really nothing that would degrade it aside from vermin. Supposedly a can was found from the Shackleton expedition in Antarctica that was still good years later.

Air drying the thin meat strips below say 120 degrees should also preserve more nutrients or you could cold smoke it to add a little flavor. I did that and it turned out well.

I really like this and I'm going to give it a try. Pemmican was mentioned in this thread last year and here's more info on that. I like it because it can have a very long shelf life, if stored properly, compared to canning your meat. Both would be good to have. The meat needs to be dehydrated at 120 F. then ground into powder. Rendered fat is mixed in then formed into the shape you prefer and allowed to cool. Sounds like the perfect combo! Here it's placed in muffin tins and stored in Mason jars with an O2 absorber. He says an adult only needs one muffin a day since the nutrition is dense. You can add extras like berries, nuts, maple syrup but that will cut down on the shelf life.

Donald Porta,

Pemmican is a Native American food that is extremely nutritious, compact, easy to make and long storage life. A complete meal in itself. Let me review the entire process. buy grass-fed tallow here; https://amzn.to/2ND1lvQ buy food saver vacuum lids here; https://amzn.to/2BOaNtW buy food saver here; https://amzn.to/2Vq8HXY
Here is a video I posted awhile ago and so I'm giving it a bump. This is how I learned and it might be helpful for others if they haven't seen it. I totally forgot about the oxygen absorbers he mentioned but the vacuum seal is still working great.

so that's just water bathing? how long do you feel happy to store meat in a jar when done like that? Also can you tell when a can has gone bad? Is the sniff test enough?
From what I know they can easily keep for a year. One thing that I would not do is put rice, legumes or potatoes with the meat. Just meat, spices and some vegetables to ensure no sugars are available to promote yeast or bacterial growth. Sugar was only used for preserving fruit compotes and jams back then.
If the centre of the lid is indented it shows there is a vacuum and is safe to use. Otherwise it can be refrigerated and used over a week or so.
One other method of storing large portions of cooked meat was to pour hot lard to cover the contents by at least 3 inches and let it set in a cool place. That method was good for late autumn to spring, or very cold weather. While the fats on the surface are solid, no bacteria gets to the food. It is also covered, of course. FWIW

I have a question about using the pressure canner for cooking raw meat. This is the one I have: pressure canner.

All instructions I have found, including the booklet the canner came with, instruct how to use it to seal cooked meats or products.

But I wonder if anyone is canning meat from raw? If yes, how long do you can it for? Have you opened any of the jars you canned like that to make sure the meat is properly cooked? If yes, did it taste ok?

I have a question about using the pressure canner for cooking raw meat. This is the one I have: pressure canner.

All instructions I have found, including the booklet the canner came with, instruct how to use it to seal cooked meats or products.

But I wonder if anyone is canning meat from raw? If yes, how long do you can it for? Have you opened any of the jars you canned like that to make sure the meat is properly cooked? If yes, did it taste ok?
You should be fine canning with raw meat. Lots of people dry age things like pork/beef/fish and there’s no problems if done properly, in fact you might preserve more nutrients. So raw is alright, though the fats from wild fed animals is much better for the preservation process and healthier too. So if you can find animals raised regeneratively, you’ll be increasing nutrient content.

Back
Top Bottom