Canning meat/what Equipment is needed, how much canning is necessary

As I have come to this thread very late in the day and having a ceramic hob and a husband who thinks "canning is way over the top". The subject of future food shortages cannot be discussed!!!!!!.
Having read all this thread I found a very interesting observation made by Gaby which I have attached below about long-term storage in lard. Has anyone else heard of this type of storage and it's possibilities.?

A woman told me she would preserve meat in those jars. The lid will bubble up when it came out of the pressure cooker, but she always ate the meat within 6 months.

I don't know how save it is, but from what I understand, entire generations had preserved meat by cooking them and submerging them in olive oil. It would stay good for the entire year even though it was not saved in the fridge nor pressured canned.

A farmer from the Pyrenees told me that in the good old days, when there were no freezers, they would preserve their pork by putting them on special jars that will hold up to 60 liters of lard. Then, they would put the meat submerged on that fat and voilà, pork for the entire year. It was not even covered, the only protection was the lard. It was basically a thick giant jar (forgot its name) which some families living in the mountains still have. They took the meat throughout the year as needed along with its lard to cook it, it was always good, and it would feed the entire family.

My thinking, that if meet was cooked first, cooled and placed in jars, covered with lard and then airtight lids, the type with the metal clip closures The meat is entirely covered and sealed with lids preventing dust, etc and then storing in a cool dry place. Any thoughts.??

As I have come to this thread very late in the day and having a ceramic hob and a husband who thinks "canning is way over the top". The subject of future food shortages cannot be discussed!!!!!!.
Having read all this thread I found a very interesting observation made by Gaby which I have attached below about long-term storage in lard. Has anyone else heard of this type of storage and it's possibilities.?

A woman told me she would preserve meat in those jars. The lid will bubble up when it came out of the pressure cooker, but she always ate the meat within 6 months.

I don't know how save it is, but from what I understand, entire generations had preserved meat by cooking them and submerging them in olive oil. It would stay good for the entire year even though it was not saved in the fridge nor pressured canned.

A farmer from the Pyrenees told me that in the good old days, when there were no freezers, they would preserve their pork by putting them on special jars that will hold up to 60 liters of lard. Then, they would put the meat submerged on that fat and voilà, pork for the entire year. It was not even covered, the only protection was the lard. It was basically a thick giant jar (forgot its name) which some families living in the mountains still have. They took the meat throughout the year as needed along with its lard to cook it, it was always good, and it would feed the entire family.

My thinking, that if meet was cooked first, cooled and placed in jars, covered with lard and then airtight lids, the type with the metal clip closures The meat is entirely covered and sealed with lids preventing dust, etc and then storing in a cool dry place. Any thoughts.??
Canning it sterilizes it, preventing decomposition and food poisoning. Other methods are drying and salt curing. I think better to err on the side of safety.

OOOps. In my original post I should have deleted this part as it does not pertain to the question of storing in fat. Very sorry.

woman told me she would preserve meat in those jars. The lid will bubble up when it came out of the pressure cooker, but she always ate the meat within 6 months

I don't know much about other food storage options Tuatha, so I can't comment on them, but I can say that canning is relatively easy once you get the hang of it. Maybe you could do the canning discreetly and say that you want to develop some "old-fashioned" skills like Grandma, as you have all this time now with the lockdown, no need to mention prepping for the collapse of civilization :lol:

I also wanted to add to what Lainey said above, I found it super tricky to find the "sweet spot" - for some reason it kept going above and below the recommended pressure. In my instruction manual it says that if it goes below the desired pressure, you have to bring it back up to the pressure and start the timer all over again...:whistle: after two incidences of this, I resolved to check it regularly to maintain the right pressure, this worked fine.

When I was first following this thread at the start I never got into canning meat. Now I would very much like to try it out. However, as I have an induction cooker, I am struggling to find one that works for my kitchen. The only one I could find is a Presto 23-quart pressure canner that is induction compatible but it only ships in the US. Has anyone with an induction cooker found a pressure canner that can be shipped to Europe?

When I was first following this thread at the start I never got into canning meat. Now I would very much like to try it out. However, as I have an induction cooker, I am struggling to find one that works for my kitchen. The only one I could find is a Presto 23-quart pressure canner that is induction compatible but it only ships in the US. Has anyone with an induction cooker found a pressure canner that can be shipped to Europe?
The one I linked to does :-)
Duromatic Pressure Cookers are made of 18/10 stainless steel with a solid aluminium Superthermic® sandwich base for use on all heat sources, including induction hobs.

That one is not a dedicated canner, just a pressure cooker. The largest one would not hold many jars and might not come with parts needed for canning. IMO you would be better off with a dedicated canner, using a separate electric or gas burner for this purpose. USDA strongly recommends using a canner rather than a pressure cooker for some reason.

That one is not a dedicated canner, just a pressure cooker. The largest one would not hold many jars and might not come with parts needed for canning. IMO you would be better off with a dedicated canner, using a separate electric or gas burner for this purpose. USDA strongly recommends using a canner rather than a pressure cooker for some reason.
Fair enough, I can understand why you would not want to use that one though I did get good results with it. :halo:

Thank you for the link @lainey, but as @Yupo mentioned I would prefer going for a pressure canner if I can find one, given what has been discussed in this thread.

Btw, I just found the Presto induction canner on eBay that ships to Europe so I think I will go for that one. It comes to about 170 USD including transportation costs so the price isn't too bad.

My only concern is that the pressure canner is bigger than the largest diameter of my induction hob. I assume it means that I should only place the jars inside the canner within the diameter of the hob to ensure it gets properly done?

It's been a couple of years since I last canned anything. Had the jars ready filled with meat in the fridge since Monday night for canning today. Couldn't find the pressure regulator. Had to improvise, it worked, all jars popped and sealed. Happy days, have a regulator ordered extra jars and lots of meat pork/lamb to can.
I order jars from this site in case anyone is looking.

20200401_160534.jpg

Doesn't matter, my canner is to big for the hob. It works fine have canned lots in the past, never an issue.

The same here. If I put the canner on the (electric) hob long enough it even starts rocking when the pressure gets too high, so a hub which is smaller than the canner itself is not a problem.

Does anybody use weck jars (with a clamp and rubber ring) for canning meat? I think I read somewhere on the forum that these rubber rings are not suitable for 120 degrees C., but I can't find it now.

If I remember it correctly you have to be careful with fat. Water helps preserve the ring, but the rubber deteriorates when it comes into contact with lard and such.

Has anyone here got the Presto Pressure canner/cooker. 23 Quart with dial gauge.It says suitable for gas, electric and smooth top ranges. Would it be suitable for my ceramic cooker? It's the only one I can find within my price bracket from ebay.

Has anyone here got the Presto Pressure canner/cooker. 23 Quart with dial gauge.It says suitable for gas, electric and smooth top ranges. Would it be suitable for my ceramic cooker?

I did a quick search and found this article and it says that the canner should be smooth-bottomed. Did you check your stove's manual BTW?

You might want to pay attention to this bit:
Now, having said all this, not ALL glass and ceramic stoves are identical in every respect, so it is always possible that yours is designed differently or behaves differently from the description above. But there are enough stories of cracked stovetops to suggest that regardless, an alternative might be prudent, unless you're sure it is compatible with your stove!

So, what can you do? Here is a simple solution: buy a simple and inexpensive propane campstove, an electric burner (shown below) or use an outdoor propane burner and you can use ANY canner with it. Plus, the propane burners may come in handy when you have a lot of cooking to do, during a power outage or when you need and extra burner!

Hope this helps.

Has anyone here got the Presto Pressure canner/cooker. 23 Quart with dial gauge.It says suitable for gas, electric and smooth top ranges. Would it be suitable for my ceramic cooker? It's the only one I can find within my price bracket from ebay.
I have this exact model of Presto Pressure canner.
The bottom is flat, and connects completely with the glass top.
It works wonderfully, I LOVE the dial gauge, and specific read of the pressure at a glance.

I don't know what your mean by "ceramic cooker"?
Is it a full 4 burner stove top, or just a single burner?

This is my electric glass topped range, and the burner on the front right is the one I use for the canner.
I heat it using the two center ring settings, then once the canner is loaded and up to pressure, I then just use the center ring to maintain even heat.
There has been a bit of wear and tear on the glass shine, but I can't blame it all on the canner, I like to sear steak in my old fashioned cast iron, which isn't supposed to be used on glass tops. Hope this helps!
1586889459996.png

Back
Top Bottom