Cass Wiki down

It turns out that after moving the CassWiki to a new server + domain, I neglected to realize that PHP 5.6 would go EOL (end of life) on December 31, 2018.

Since CassWiki uses a VERY old version of MediaWiki, and since the people who were working on it have vanished, that means it's about 20 versions and many years behind... and it doesn't work on PHP 7.x.

Honestly, I don't think it's worth the effort to save it, anyway. Traffic levels to the site are basically zilch.

:knitting: <-- Pretend that's me playing the bagpipes

:nuts: You're kidding, right?

That was a valuable resource where things were cleaned up / easy to read, nicely categorized, and easy to link to for others.

Maybe some kind of pages-port to elsewhere could happen, as it's "needle in a haystack" to find all that organized material on cassiopaea.org and the forum.

Maybe some kind of pages-port to elsewhere could happen, as it's "needle in a haystack" to find all that organized material on cassiopaea.org and the forum.

There is a plan afoot to redo the Cass.org web site and make it all much easier to read / better organized. Of course, it won't be the same as a wiki, but then again it also won't require the manpower and time and energy that a wiki requires. We can only do what we can do.

But before that happens, those brave souls who are volunteering to do all that have a new Eiriu Eolas site in the works!
:thup:

It turns out that after moving the CassWiki to a new server + domain, I neglected to realize that PHP 5.6 would go EOL (end of life) on December 31, 2018.

Since CassWiki uses a VERY old version of MediaWiki, and since the people who were working on it have vanished, that means it's about 20 versions and many years behind... and it doesn't work on PHP 7.x.

Honestly, I don't think it's worth the effort to save it, anyway. Traffic levels to the site are basically zilch.

:knitting: <-- Pretend that's me playing the bagpipes
Hi Scottie, maybe this repository (in case you are using Ubuntu Bionic latest or one of their derivatives...) will help.

It has all PHP versions that can help on that...

From PHP 5.6 to PHP 7.3 it is a must... I use it.

The Repo in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/:

cat ondrej-php-bionic.list

deb Index of /ondrej/php/ubuntu bionic main
deb-src Index of /ondrej/php/ubuntu bionic main

Or if you prefer the page with instructions to enable it... with full instruction in case of using Apache2:

***** The main PPA for supported PHP versions with many PECL ext... : Ondřej Surý

It saved my day... :cool2::cool2::cool2: and definely CasWiki is useful when needed.

Well, first problem is the server is using WHM and not Ubuntu. I don't like messing with WHM in that sense because it tends to break things.

I also expect php5.6 to disappear from the next Ubuntu repo, because he says no EOL PHP versions. They're there for Bionic because it was released before 5.6's EOL, but we'll see about the next LTS.

I haven't seen anything that indicates he's actually applying patches to 5.6. To get a maintained version of 5.6, you'd have to pay for something like CloudLinux - AFAIK.

So, I use his repo for my private, local ubuntu linux box, but not on the net.

Mediawiki software is not easy to work with from a technical standpoint. One alternative approach might to be create WordPress site and use some sort of wiki or FAQ or knowledge base plugin, then import the data somehow or other. That way it'd be far easier to maintain the software. There are some suggestions for plugins here.

Ah.. a great loss.. I have read this site more than other places...

Thanks for posting mirror @Skyalmian

Could I know when was last update? {approx} @Scottie

Right now, it is ok although I don't know whether some articles are out-dated.
Most downloads on webarchive are from 2016-2018 range.

Yesterday I was looking for words like "magnetic center crystallization" and the search engine actually gave two references to Cass Wiki, but they were 404s

I agree that the content was invaluable. But it's right too that the site design was not very appealing. Do we have a web designer among members?

Perhaps we could find a way to download the articles as HTML or Complete Webpages or pdf; either one, two or all options. Some of the functionality would be lost with pdf, but on the other hand one could think of putting it all in one large pdf. I know that some scientific conferences produce several thousand pages of pdf files, and this is probably not more than that. I think it is worth considering what one will do, as surely the same fate will come to much other information that is on the net.

Back
Top Bottom