Cereal Grasses Juice

Jacques

SuperModerator
FOTCM Member
I have done a search to find out if there is gluten in cereal grasses juice.

So far it would seem that there is no gluten.

I did a search on the forum of Dr Osborne but I did not find anything about that.

So, for someone who is gluten free is it safe to drink cereal grasses juice?

From _http://www.healthbanquet.com/wheatgrass-juice.html
When the wheat grain is planted indoors, the grass sprouts from the whole wheat grain and grows into a green grass plant full of all kinds of great nutrition. Testing has shown the wheatgrass nutrition nutrient level to be especially high when the plant hits about six to seven inches in height. That is the best time to harvest the grass.

When the indoor cereal grass is at that stage, loads of live nutrition can be juiced from it. This juice is easily absorbed by the body and you are the lucky recipient of a powerhouse of vitamins, minerals, amino acids and enlivening enzymes. The juice is also 70% chlorophyll. The green juice is a strong and safe all natural and highly nutritional live whole food sensation that is certainly improving health through its consumption.

I read up on this a little while ago. Gluten is a constituent of the fruit (grain) of the plant but not of the grass.

From what I've researched wheat grass juice has no gluten.

I used to grow my own and drink it but I stopped as it became too labor intensive. I liked it though. I can't comment on any noticeable improvements outside of just following the gluten free diet. I can say that there were no negative effects.

I was warned not to drink it at a juice bar if I had stomach problems. The barista told me that some people with IBS vomited after the first taste of the juice, so I passed.

I don't know if that reaction is caused by the juice being too strong, or just the body being inflamed, but if you have any kind of issue with the stomach or digestive system, go cautiously on this one.

Gandalf said:
I have done a search to find out if there is gluten in cereal grasses juice.

So far it would seem that there is no gluten.

I did a search on the forum of Dr Osborne but I did not find anything about that.

So, for someone who is gluten free is it safe to drink cereal grasses juice?

From _http://www.healthbanquet.com/wheatgrass-juice.html
When the wheat grain is planted indoors, the grass sprouts from the whole wheat grain and grows into a green grass plant full of all kinds of great nutrition. Testing has shown the wheatgrass nutrition nutrient level to be especially high when the plant hits about six to seven inches in height. That is the best time to harvest the grass.

When the indoor cereal grass is at that stage, loads of live nutrition can be juiced from it. This juice is easily absorbed by the body and you are the lucky recipient of a powerhouse of vitamins, minerals, amino acids and enlivening enzymes. The juice is also 70% chlorophyll. The green juice is a strong and safe all natural and highly nutritional live whole food sensation that is certainly improving health through its consumption.

I've been kind of perplexed after reading about WGA being found in wheat grass juice since I've recently begun juicing wheat grass. Finally had some time to check into this to confirm or refute for my own peace of mind.

In the Life Without Bread thread, Psyche quoted from an SOTT article (http://www.sott.net/article/244756-Rice-Potato-Tomato-May-Be-As-Inflammatory-As-Wheat)

In a previous article this author discussed the "invisible thorn" found within all wheat products, including sprouted wheat bread and wheat grass, known as wheat lectin (technical name: Wheat Germ Agglutinin (WGA)).

The previous article being:
Opening Pandora's Bread Box: The Critical Role of Wheat Lectin in Human Disease ( http://www.greenmedinfo.com/page/opening-pandoras-bread-box-critical-role-wheat-lectin-human-disease )
The quote in question:
WGA migrates during germination to the roots and tips of leaves, as the developing plant begins to project itself into the world and outside the safety of its seed. In its quest for nourishment from the soil, its roots are challenged with fungi and bacteria that seek to invade the plant. In its quest for sunlight and other nourishment from the heavens, the plant’s leaves become prey to insects, birds, mammals, etc. Even after the plant has developed beyond the germination and sprouting stages, it retains almost 50% of the levels of lectin found in the dry seeds. Approximately one third of this WGA is in the roots and two thirds is in the shoot, for at least 34 days [3]

I checked out the reference for this information cause it just didn't make sense given the incredible success of Ann Wigmore's wheat grass experience. What i found after checking out the study is that the above quote stops short of some important distinctions when applied to preparing wheat grass juice. For those who aren't familiar with growing/harvesting/juicing wheatgrass, it is grown for 5-7 days depending on temperature/conditions. The grass is harvested after it is 7-8 inches tall and is cut a couple of inches from the base of grass (known as the meristem, where growth takes place). The distal portion of the grass stem, referred to as the leaf apex in the referenced study, but known as blades of grass in layman's terms, is the only part juiced.

What directly follows the above selected quote from this study is as follows:
All of the lectin in the shoot appears in the basal fraction. Assayable levels of WGA never appeared in the leaf apices at any time during the time course.
_http://www.plantphysiol.org/content/66/5/950.full.pdf

Kind of changes the whole meaning of the quote found in the article, eh?

They go on describing the test method of the apical WGA distribution for different age of plants, but conclude:
...that less that 5% of WGA in the shoot of the 14 day old plant is located in the apical portion.

I can live with that.
Juice on!

Kniall said:
Skyfarmr said:
Juice on!

Personally, I'd just leave the grass to the animals and then eat the animals. But, whatever floats your boat.

The fact that greenmed.info mis-represented the research findings it sited, and it was repeated in various articles on SOTT was the emphasis of the above post. Just trying to keep the information accurate.

Discarding the benefits of chlorophyll rich foods/juice as part of a paleo meat/fat -eating diet and to "leave the grass to the animals" seems to be a grievous mistake given the number of those forum members concerned about elevated iron disorders (hemochramotosis and auto-immune diseases to name a few). I'm not challenging the wisdom of eating meat and fat, but rather trying to expand our understanding of the relationship between heme-protein and chlorophyll containing greens.

What's got me wondering is why greens are being overlooked as part of the paleo/ketogenic/hunter-gatherer diet. The gathering part of hunter-gatherer would definitely include gathering green plants/ berries and nuts when they were available, whether for food or dried/preserved for medicinal or winter use. "Melting" greens in some bacon fat or butter/ghee supplements the meat portion of this type of diet very nicely and is the traditional way to prepare greens. In my opinion, cooked greens are nutritionally at their best when simmered in animal fat or ghee, since the chlorophyll is fat soluble.

I've also considered this:
Why do humans have molars more similar to grazing animals than the long tearing incisors like the strictly carniverous animals? Maybe it's because humans are omnivores, eating both plant and animal food. Many wild carnivores go for the intestinal contents (partially digested vegetable matter) first, which may indicate they instinctively know the benefits of eating their greens with the meat.

Why does the human liver have the ability to store iron and the fat soluble Vitamins A and D? Could it be because paleo humans ate what was abundantly available when in season? Maybe iron-rich meats weren't as abundant year-round as they are now. The plentiful Spring greens and it's beneficial chlorophyll may have assisted any stored iron left in the liver to be used to build the blood with hemoglobin. Modern day diets include an abundance of meat year round (as well as iron fortified cereal foods) so it isn't surprising that there is a plethora of elevated iron related disorders which could be easily and naturally be corrected by the addition of chlorophyll to the diet, as well as the elimination of fortified foods.

from this article: http://jn.nutrition.org/content/135/8/1995.full
Natural Chlorophyll but Not Chlorophyllin Prevents Heme-Induced Cytotoxic and Hyperproliferative Effects in Rat Colon
Diets high in red meat and low in green vegetables are associated with an increased risk of colon cancer. In rats, dietary heme, mimicking red meat, increases colonic cytotoxicity and proliferation of the colonocytes, whereas addition of chlorophyll from green vegetables inhibits these heme-induced effects.

Also, Vitamin B12 (found mostly in meats) and folate (found in green leafy vegetables) need to both be present in the diet to avoid anemias or neural disorders related to an abundance of one and shortage of another (ie. they complement each other and need to be balanced). - sited from the The PDR for Nutritional Supplements.

In addition, chlorophyll is a potent detoxifier of hydrocarbons, heavy metals and neutralizes free-radicals, the most common one being free unbound iron. Dr. Ed Weinberg lists tobacco smoke as an abundant source of free iron which is easily absorbed by the lung tissue. Maybe it is the lack of iron sequestering chlorophyll in the diet which is the real culprit for those susceptible to cancers, whether one smokes or not.

However, I've drifted a bit from the topic which is juicing, but very important when using chlorophyll (via grass juice) therapeutically.

Chorophyll Benefits http://www.zhion.com/phytonutrients/Chlorophyll.html
Chlorophyll is the chemical in plants accomplishes photosynthesis and it is responsible
for the green color of the plant. Chlorophyll can be found in dark green leafy vegetables,
some algae, wheat grass and barley grass. Historically, chlorophyll was used to improve
bad breath, and reduce the odors of urine and feces. It was also believed that it might
have health benefits on constipation and anemia.

Some preliminary evidence suggests that chlorophyll might have anti-inflammatory,
antioxidant, and wound-healing activities. [1,2] Chlorophyll has also been shown to have
benefits on chemoprevention.

RESEARCH STUDIES

ANTI-CANCER ACTIVITIES
A few studies have shown that chlorophyll prevents the detrimental, cytotoxic and
hyperproliferative colonic effects of dietary haem. Diets high in red meat are associated
with increased colon cancer risk. This association might be partly due to the haem
content of red meat. In rats, dietary haem is metabolized in the gut to a cytotoxic factor
that increases colonic cytotoxicity and epithelial proliferation. Chlorophyll is magnesium
porphyrin structurally analogous to haem.
In a study, researchers fed rats with a purified
control diet or purified diets supplemented with 0.5 mmol haem/kg, spinach (chlorophyll
concentration 1.2 mmol/kg) or haem plus spinach (n = 8/group) for 14 days. Researchers
found that haem increased cytotoxicity of the colonic contents approximately 8-fold and
proliferation of the colonocytes almost 2-fold. Spinach or an equimolar amount of
chlorophyll supplement in the haem diet inhibited these haem effects completely.
[3]

ANTI-DIABETIC ACTIVITIES
Chlorophyll may have health benefits on diabetes. The chlorophyll metabolite phytanic
acid is a natural rexinoid--potential for treatment and prevention of diabetes. Synthetic
ligands of the retinoid X receptor (RXR) have shown antidiabetic activity in mice. The
chlorophyll metabolite phytanic acid has been shown to be a natural ligand for RXR,
active in concentrations near its physiological levels. [4] Further, phytanic acid was also
shown to be a ligand of the 9-cis-retinoic acid receptor and peroxisome
proliferator-activated receptor (PPAR) a. PPAR agonists are widely used in the treatment
of type 2 diabetes. Phytanic acid is also found to act via different PPAR isoforms to
modulate expression of genes involved in glucose metabolism. [Heim M, et al, FASEB J.
2002 May;16(7):718-20]

It is thus reasonable to suspect that phytanic acid may have benefits for people at risk of
type 2 diabetes.

REFERENCES: [1] Rudolph C. The therapeutic value of chlorophyll. Clin Med Surg
1930;37:119-21 [2] Chernomorsky SA, Segelman AB. Biological activities of chlorophyll
derivatives. N J Med 1988;85:669-73. [3] de Vogel J et al, Green vegetables, red meat
and colon cancer: chlorophyll prevents the cytotoxic and hyperproliferative effects of haem
in rat colon. Carcinogenesis. 2005 Feb;26(2):387-93. Epub 2004 Nov 18. [4] McCarty
MF, The chlorophyll metabolite phytanic acid is a natural rexinoid--potential for treatment
and prevention of diabetes. Med Hypotheses. 2001 Feb;56(2):217-9.

Other research siting wheatgrass (chlorophyll) benefits:
http://www.wheatgrassevidence.com/kulkarni%20at%20al%202006.pdf

Green is the new gold.

Skyfarmr said:
...Discarding the benefits of chlorophyll rich foods/juice as part of a paleo meat/fat -eating diet and to "leave the grass to the animals" seems to be a grievous mistake given the number of those forum members concerned about elevated iron disorders (hemochramotosis and auto-immune diseases to name a few). I'm not challenging the wisdom of eating meat and fat, but rather trying to expand our understanding of the relationship between heme-protein and chlorophyll containing greens.

I know you posted this a month ago, but I just now came across it. I admit to having experimented with greens myself, recently, although I am not too excited with the results and I am backing off the amounts. I haven't tried juicing, and it doesn't appeal to my taste. I would be tempted to alter Kniall's comment to "Leave the grass to the ruminants and then eat them."

But I don't go quite that far because I like some veggies with my meat, and it seems to help with satiety and certainly with variety. It does appeal to my taste. Not being a ruminant myself, I'm not really sure what I derive from plant foods beyond providing a feast for my gut bacteria, but there is probably something. Unfortunately, my gut bacteria tend toward rowdiness, and when I feed them too well they make me not feel well. But then my gut definitely has issues. But then, looking around, so do a bunch of other guts. So it's complicated. The end effects are also highly individual.

What's got me wondering is why greens are being overlooked as part of the paleo/ketogenic/hunter-gatherer diet. The gathering part of hunter-gatherer would definitely include gathering green plants/ berries and nuts when they were available, whether for food or dried/preserved for medicinal or winter use. "Melting" greens in some bacon fat or butter/ghee supplements the meat portion of this type of diet very nicely and is the traditional way to prepare greens. In my opinion, cooked greens are nutritionally at their best when simmered in animal fat or ghee, since the chlorophyll is fat soluble.

When you start mixing greens and grease, things can become seriously tasty - I do it every morning. I'm not so sure about the hunter-gatherer part, though. Some of the stuff they were eating was almost unimaginably more nutritious than grocery store/farmer's market fare. It's "not sold in stores," and not eaten by civilized, domesticated humans today any more than offal is. Our modern digestive systems might not even be able to handle some of it; I don't know. Besides, it doesn't taste right. (I'm presenting a "consumer view," of course.) And I'm not sure how much of it was actually green. Or how humans manage to survive on grocery store fare.

I've also considered this:
Why do humans have molars more similar to grazing animals than the long tearing incisors like the strictly carniverous animals? Maybe it's because humans are omnivores, eating both plant and animal food.

Maybe. We're not ruminants, though, and "similar" is not the same as "same." We are cooking-adapted and tool adapted, and I am pretty sure we have teeth to go with that. We aren't equipped to carve out raw meat the way carnivores do. We use knives. Not to mention forks.

One thing about ruminants is that they spend all day chewing -- it's long hard work. We have better things to do with our time, and if literally forced to graze we would have a big problem because we don't have the stomachs for it, let alone the time. We don't even have ape guts. We have something pretty special.

Many wild carnivores go for the intestinal contents (partially digested vegetable matter) first, which may indicate they instinctively know the benefits of eating their greens with the meat.

Which ones are those? I know that cats pick up veggies that way, but they might eat the liver first. I don't get to witness much predator activity in the suburbs, other than the human kind.

I don't mean to do a point-by-point rebuttal. I am just mentioning some alternative ways of looking at things.

Megan said:
Skyfarmr said:
Which ones are those? I know that cats pick up veggies that way, but they might eat the liver first. I don't get to witness much predator activity in the suburbs, other than the human kind.

I don't mean to do a point-by-point rebuttal. I am just mentioning some alternative ways of looking at things.

I've noticed that coyote's will eat every last part of a rabbit and will also eat the stomach as well as other organs in cattle. I live in the county, Meagan.

Edit=Quote

My Cousin worked as a "Natural" Dietitian at what use to be called The Hypocrites Institute located in Lemon Grove, near San Diego, CA. I personally witnessed a man in his twenties arrive in a wheel chair, he stayed for a three week program of detoxing of chemicals in foods that he'd been eating. He was given up for Hospice care by his Doctors since he had a brain tumor. He went home after this time period for a one week stay then returned for a remainder of three weeks. he consumed the food of the program of wheat grass juice, rejuvilac (wheat berry fermented drink) and only live vegetables, 7 varieties of sprouts and some live fruits, no cook foods. He walked out of that place, no wheelchair needed. He came back for a visit and claimed his Doctors were confounded that they could find no signs of a brain tumor.
I got rid of calcifications in my breast tissue with this wheat grass program. Currently I'm giving my Husband who has A-Fib wheat grass juice and some other supplements and he has noted an improvement. My cousin is age 61, has been eating live foods and drinking wheat grass for over 30 years now. She appears to be in her early thirty's, wow!

Forrestdeva said:
I've noticed that coyote's will eat every last part of a rabbit and will also eat the stomach as well as other organs in cattle. I live in the county, Meagan.

If you get away from "western civilization," lots of people in other cultures "eat the whole animal" too. More westerners are doing it as well. But I don't know that they go for the intestines first. Do coyotes?

This is an interesting and complex subject. Some 10 or 15 years ago I had a sprouting machine which used to grow grass to be juiced. The truth is that I noticed improved health and feeling of being younger, especially with barley grass (not so much with the wheat).
I noticed a greatest effect of metabolism increase linked to consume the Green juice with a good source of natural fish or meat, avoiding any source of carbohydrates.

What most impressed me was that in the periods in which drank these juices my body seems to have a greater charge of static electricity, since it dramatically increased discharges when I touch other people and things.

Additionally, when chew the tender herb to extract its juice in my mouth (pulling the vegetal bolus) I noticed clear improvement in my teeth, if any caries were present.

On the contrary, I found negative effects on me with other plant species. Especially with the crucifers (e.g. broccoli or radish) (low metabolism, inflamation).

In any case, the quite call that requires the sprouting process led me to leave it several times.

More recently I've restarted the culture in any period of few months.
But, given the high evidence of health problems caused by the WGA of wheat, and not being clear that this is not present in the grass (and considering that barley also contains agglutinin), I have considered the oat grass as a possible alternative :huh:.

I could see results perhaps best with the grass of oats. I would also say that I get better results if the irrigation way is by water mist (ultrasonic).
Is notable for my that if this same juice of grass is buy in form of pills or powder industrially processed, then I not have noticed absolutely none of the positive effects of the grass freshly cut. Why?, I don't know. If it were for chlorophyll, not even taking spirulina or chlorella did comparable effects on me.

On the other hand, is remarkable that the cats feel predilection by eat a little of these grasses, above all after eating their ration of meat. Is as if was necessary for any process of cleaning or detox after the digestion.

All of this leads me to questions and serious doubt whether it is healthy or not to take a bit of the juice of these grasses recently sprouted:
Why is it that, being so bad grains, to be sprouted changes both its effect in the body? Perhaps because the same plant active elements antagonistic to the gluten originally present in the grain in the sense that this is a toxin that protects the grain, but is antagonistic to the metabolism of the plant necessary for it germination?
Why the positive effect on health notice with grasses and not so much with other species?

Why only is the healthy effect with the freshly cut plant?. As in my case is used a nebulizer, would could be only effect of oxygen and ion negative simply absorbed of some way by the plant?

To the fear that WGA persists in the grass of wheat and barley, may a reasonable alternative be the oat grass?

Maybe is here the link between human carnivore and his omnivores features, considering the grass juice as the perfect complement to eating meat which provides enzymes, chlorophyll, pre-hormones and detoxification :huh:

Despite my doubts, these last days I have resumed sprouting oat grass, adding also a few drops of lugol's to irrigation water. Although in recent months I have done the protocol of the iodine with great success, in addition to my other supplements and it takes as much as possible a healthy diet (no gluten or milk), I've even noticed added positive effect with taking a little bit of oat grass juice after the main meal.

Weston Price became a very famous person, but it seems that he was inspired by other people who were doing some very interesting experiments at his time. One of them is Charles Schnabel.

Charles Franklin Schnabel (1895-1974) was an American agricultural chemist who became known as the father of wheatgrass. Schnabel opened the door to scientific research on cereal grass. After Schnabel's initial work in the mid-1920s that showed chickens nearly tripled their winter egg production when a small amount of cereal grass was added to their diet, he went on to find benefits with nearly every kind of livestock. His research documented larger litters, richer milk, more milk, less infant mortality, better fur and improved general health when a small amount of dehydrated cereal grass was added to the animal's food ration.

Wheat grass

On April 15, 1933, Charles F. Schnabel, a former feed mill chemist, applied for a patent for a 'feed' product that he developed for both animal and human consumption. The patent was for processing young grass shoots from wheat, barley and rye crops as a dietary supplement that provided unique health benefits from the chlorophyll.[1] Schnabel studied many aspects of growth and nutrition associated with cereal grasses. He found that some soils were not suitable for providing high quality cereal grasses, and that the nutrients provided by these green plants varied with the stage of growth of the grasses. He gave the dehydrated grasses, an economical and practical food supplement, to his family of seven. As reported in the Buffalo Courier Express, none of his children ever had a serious illness or a decayed tooth.[2]

In order to make this food available to more people, Schnabel started Cerophyl Laboratories in the 1930s. Cerophyl was a company that produced what some called "the world's first multivitamin." At about the same time Schnabel was documenting the nutritional and health benefits of dehydrated cereal grass for both animals and humans, vitamins were being discovered. Schnabel applied these new vitamin analysis protocols to dehydrated cereal grass harvested at the jointing stage. Charles Schnabel's wheatgrass was wholefood powder, grown slowly in cold weather, and was used in an extensive body of both animal and human medical research. Schnabel did not grow his wheatgrass indoors and did not use juice, but rather the dried wholefood powder.

Schnabel explained how he had begun experimenting with the nutritive value of young grass shoots from wheat and barley. Once the shoots began "jointing," their nutritional value began to dissipate as the plant reserved all of its food value to send into forming the seed kernels. Schnabel continued to explain that he was looking for a way to preserve the nutritional value of the young grasses to increase their shelf life. In 1935 Schnabel, then an employee of American Dairies, approached Lynwood Smith to request the use of an unused drying machine. When Smith asked Schnabel why he wanted to use the machine Schnabel answered "…to dry grasses." His answer led to a three-hour discussion in Smith's office. His experiments had indicated that the young grass shoots had to be dried quickly, which was the reason behind his request for the unused drying machine. This is the key finding that separates wheat grass grown and harvested at the jointing stage from cereal grasses grown in trays indoors or harvested at any other time in the growing process. The jointing process is why Schnabel's wheat grass was superior in terms of total nutritional value. This still holds true today.[3]

Through his research and experiments, Schnabel found that in nearly every case, cereal grass contained a higher level of vitamins than other foods. With all the discoveries, people were clamoring for a way to increase the vitamins in their diets. Schnabel's Cerophyl was the answer. With the recommended 20 tablets per day, people could receive their minimum daily requirements of most of the known vitamins.

Cerophyl's market took off immediately. Nearly every pharmacy in the United States carried the product. Due to the onslaught of articles in medical journals and the FDA's approval as a food, doctors routinely recommended Cerophyl to their patients. It also had a growing international market. Several dehydrating facilities in Northeast Kansas were working at maximum capacity, harvesting thousands of acres of cereal grass at the jointing stage to keep up with the demand. Cerophyl became a popular brand name for two decades.

In the 1950s, the widespread popularity of Cerophyl started to wane with the introduction of One-A-Day Vitamins. It was an era that lauded "the miracles of modern science." People reasoned that it was better to take one tablet of synthetic vitamins per day than to obtain their vitamins from a natural source by taking twenty Cerophyl tablets. Although the first use of Cerophyl for both human and animal consumption occurred in August 1937, it was not trademarked years later.[4] The popularity of Cerophyl gave way to synthetic vitamins that people thought were better and more convenient. Schnabel developed a version of Cerophyl, fortified with synthetic vitamins, so the consumer could reduce the daily requirement from twenty tablets to four, but this second product had limited success. Although Cerophyl continued to be sold on a limited basis, it was not until 1976 that the use of cereal grass as a human food began to increase again.[5]

He also tested cereal grass at every stage of growth and determined the highest level of nutrition was achieved just prior to and at the jointing stage. He developed a dehydration method that captured that high nutritional level. His research led directly to dozens of dehydration facilities in every state where cereal grains and alfalfa are grown. These facilities have produced millions of tons of cereal grass and alfalfa for both human and animal consumption. Many are still in operation.

Over the last 75 years, facilities based on Schnabel's research have produced billions of dollars in animal feeds as well as billions in human food supplements. These facilities are being used exclusively for drying cereal grass and alfalfa for human consumption. Other companies also have dehydration facilities used for cereal grass as a food or as a nutrient-dense ingredient in foods.

You can find some old publications about his work here: Articles About a Chemist | Cerophyl

Results from his experiments: History of Wheatgrass | Cerophyl

And you can read a book about Cereal Grass here: A Book About Cereal Grass | Cerophyl

The most interesting parts from the book:

Animal Health Dramatically Improved With Cereal Grass Feed

In 1928, the concept of vitamins as essential nutrients was just gaining acceptance among health researchers. Vitamins A, C, E, and some of the B complex vitamins had been identified. Charles Schnabel, a Kansas City food chemist, was looking for a “blood-building material” which could be added to poultry feeds to enhance egg production and reduce chicken mortality. It was known at the time that chlorophyll, the green substance in plants, had some structural similarities to hemoglobin, the oxygen-carrying factor in animal blood. Reasoning that “green leaves should be the best source of blood,” he began a search for blood-building factors in green leaves. Dr. Schnabel first tried increasing the amount of alfalfa fed to chickens, but found that diets consisting of more than 10% alfalfa were harmful to hens. He then tried supplementing the chicken feed with various combinations of twenty vegetables, primarily green vegetables. All were “found wanting” and did not achieve the blood-building effects sought by Dr. Schnabel.

In 1931, feeling frustrated and about to give up his search, he gave the experimental hens a “greens mixture,” which “just happened to contain a large amount of immature wheat and oats.” Chickens given a ration containing only 10% of this cereal grass responded dramatically. Winter egg production rose from the average 38% to an astonishing 94%! Not only were more eggs produced, but those eggs had stronger shells and were more likely to hatch healthy chicks. The chickens were free of the usual degenerative diseases associated with poultry production. Their combs were bright scarlet red, and their legs never lost their pigment. He reported that “even a child can see the bloom of health in the grass-fed hens, as compared to the alfalfa-fed hens, though science, as yet, cannot explain it.”

Dr. Schnabel studied many aspects of growth and nutrition associated with cereal grasses. He found that some soils were not suitable for providing high quality cereal grasses, and that the nutrients provided by these green plants varied with the stage of growth of the grasses. He gave the dehydrated grasses, an economical and practical food supplement, to his family of seven. As reported in the Buffalo Courier Express, none of his children ever had a serious illness or a decayed tooth. He devised a plan to provide the hungry nations of the world with a high quality protein supplement derived from cereal grasses.

The “Grass Juice Factor”

In the mid 1930s, at the University of Wisconsin, Dr. George Kohler and his colleagues were studying the differences in the nutritional value of cow’s milk produced at different seasons of the year. Although they thrived on summer milk, experimental rats and guinea pigs failed to grow and eventually became sick and died when fed winter milk. The higher nutritional value of the summer milk was found to be due to the grasses eaten by the cows in the spring and summer. Thus began research on the “Grass Juice Factor”, a water soluble extract of grass juice which was responsible for this growth effect.

Most of the individual vitamins were isolated and identified during the 1930s by scientists working to identify all the nutritional factors necessary for growth and reproduction in humans and domestic animals. Because the addition of green foods to the diets of test animals often produced dramatic growth and health effects, cereal grass and the Grass Juice Factor were intensely investigated. By the late 1930s, dehydrated cereal grasses were available in several forms for use as a human food supplement. They have remained on the market under a variety of trade names ever since.

At the University of California at Berkeley, Dr. Mott Cannon and his colleagues found that guinea pigs failed rapidly when fed a stock ration plus high levels of all the then-known nutrients. When the researchers added standard food supplements such as liver extracts, wheat germ, and brewer’s yeast to the animals’ diets, the guinea pigs remained sick and often died. Addition of dehydrated grass or grass juice brought about dramatic recovery and restimulated growth in these animals.

A large number of foods were tested at the University of Wisconsin to determine which of them contained the highest levels of the Grass Juice Factor. The best sources were found to be dehydrated cereal grass, young white clover, peas, and cabbage. In 1935, Danish researchers discovered vitamin K, the “koagulation vitamin.” Because this nutrient was difficult to isolate in large quantities, cereal grasses were used in lieu of purified vitamin K—both for research and for medical therapy. Folic acid was identified in 1938, and named for the green leaves, or foliage, which are its richest source. Food scientists were beginning to see that some of the health and growth benefits provided by the cereal grasses were due to essential vitamins and minerals which they contained. Other benefits, however, could not be attributed to known nutrients.

Cereal Grasses and Fertility

Research continued on previously unidentified factors contained in grasses. Earlier studies had indicated that cereal grasses enhanced the fertility of laying hens. In the 1940s, researchers in several laboratories discovered a substance in green plant foods which affected the fertility of several species of mammals. When injected into rabbits, this water-soluble factor actually induced ovulation! The factor was isolated from a number of sources, most notably frozen and powdered cereal grass juice. The factor appeared to be most potent when supplied to animals in the spring and summer months. It worked like a hormone by stimulating the pituitary gland to release another hormone which caused ovulation in rabbits, cats, and ferrets.

Spitzer and Phillips then showed that a factor in green feed supplements improved reproductive ability and lactation when added to rat chow which contained all known required nutrients. When not given this green food factor, rats were less able to nurse their young, a characteristic passed to their daughters, even if the daughters had been fed the green food factor! A significant number of reports show positive reproduction-related effects of feeding young grasses to mammals. Von Wendt found that when human mothers drank the milk of grass-fed cows, their children developed more rapidly than children nursed by mothers who drank the milk of cows fed winter rations. This information supports Kohler’s earlier work which showed that the Grass Juice Factor had a measurable impact on the nutritive value of cow’s milk. And when fed to dairy cattle, young grasses produced noticeable increases in milk production.

A medical doctor in Kansas City reported “gratifying results” using dehydrated cereal grass for pregnant patients who were at high risk for miscarriage. Some of the fertility effects of cereal grasses may be attributed to their vitamin K content. However, the isolated factor used in the experiments mentioned above was taken from the water soluble portion of the grass extract, and so is clearly not associated with vitamin K, which is a fat-soluble vitamin.

(...)

To this day the “Grass Juice Factor” in young green plants, required for life and health in guinea pigs, has still not been identified as any of the known nutrients.

This "Grass Juice Factor" sounds exactly like the Activator X from Weston Price's work. The main difference in their works is that Weston Price was using dairy products from animals which grazed on cereal grass, while Charles Schnabel was using extract made from cereal grass.

Ingredient Spotlight: Wheatgrass

Over the past several decades, wheatgrass has become quite popular among health-minded consumers who are looking for a rich source of chlorophyll and the nutrients associated with dark green leafy vegetables. It is now available in four forms.

The original form, whole food wheatgrass, is still sold today. It is grown through cold weather outdoors in climates appropriate for wheat. In recent years, three other forms have appeared. One is freshly squeezed from trays of wheatgrass and is available in many juice bars. Tray-grown wheatgrass is also grown by enthusiasts in their homes using shallow flat containers often with little or no soil. Because of the popularity of this form of wheatgrass, juice powder and frozen juice are the two other forms that have recently appeared to offer a more hassle-free way to drink a “shot” of wheatgrass juice. All these juice products cost considerably more for the same amount of chlorophyll and green food nutrition contained in wholefood wheatgrass.

Regardless of form, wheatgrass is used to increase the amount of chlorophyll and green food nutrition in the diet. Citing an impressive body of research, most nutritionists, doctors, and even the USDA recognize that dark green leafy vegetables should make up a high percentage of the food we eat. That’s because research has shown that diets rich in these foods result in significantly less degenerative disease. Whole-food leafy green vegetables provide important nutrients, antioxidants, and essential vegetable fiber-which provides better assimilation of all foods, because such roughage is a perfect media for probiotics in the colon.

History of Wheatgrass

The original research was with not only wheatgrass but also grasses of other grains, such as barley, rye, and oats. The study of these grasses began in 1932 with the work of food scientist Charles F. Schnabel. He was soon joined by other notable scientists. As a result of their research, whole-food, dehydrated cereal grass powders have been sold continuously for more than 80 years.

In more recent times, the tray-grown variety of wheatgrass has become popular. Ann Wigmore, Viktoras Kulvinskas, and other authors associated with the Hippocrates Health Institute promoted the idea of sprouting wheat and then letting it grow leaves, which are harvested about seven days after germination. The scientific support used by these authors included references to the research by Dr. Schnabel and his colleagues. At least two popular books on wheatgrass are dedicated to Charles Schnabel. Steve Meyerowitz, in his popular book Wheatgrass: Nature’s Finest Medicine, refers to Schnabel as “The Father of Wheatgrass.” Books by Wigmore and Kulvinskas also depend heavily on Schnabel’s research.

Curiously, Schnabel did not research wheatgrass juice or wheatgrass that was grown indoors or in trays. All the research by Schnabel, other scientists, and the medical community was with whole-food, cereal grass powder grown outdoors through often-freezing temperatures in rich glacial soil of northeastern Kansas.

How Wheatgrass Grows

Those who grow wheatgrass indoors and/or in trays are often surprised when they learn how the wheat plant and other cereal grains are supposed to grow. For example, it is common practice for those growing wheatgrass in trays to place the seeds right next to each other. Contrary to this, seeds for wheatgrass grown as nature intended are sown an average of one inch apart and are sown when temperatures are much colder than inside a house or greenhouse.

When grown naturally through cold weather, wheatgrass like that used by Schnabel, takes as long as 200 days to develop through the winter. Although naturally grown wheatgrass takes much longer to develop, it is about the same height as wheatgrass grown in trays in warm conditions for 7 to 10 days, except the leaves of true wheatgrass are much darker green and do not show the spindly effects of the crowded tray conditions.

When seeds are planted for true wheatgrass outdoors in the fall, the soil is still warm from summer, but the air is cool and even freezing at night. This induces germinated seeds to grow long roots and short shoots. In fact, during the first 30 days of harvest, the roots go down more than a foot in the soil. The leaves are usually about an inch long.

The opposite happens when wheat is grown indoors or in other unnaturally warm conditions. The plant becomes nearly all leaf, and because the seeds are so close together, the roots become a tangled mass, which laboratory tests consistently show contain mold, even if no mold is visible. The mold and the unnatural growing conditions result in a flavor that many people find objectionable. Some even have adverse physical reactions to it. True wheatgrass, which is grown in natural climatic conditions, has a pleasant flavor and four times more chlorophyll than when grown quickly in crowded tray conditions.

The World’s First Multi-Vitamin

Schnabel found that whole-food cereal grass such as wheatgrass powder contained the highest level of vitamins and minerals of any leafy green vegetable, especially when harvested at a special time in its growth cycle. Those levels were so high that Schnabel and his fellow scientists introduced the world’s first multi-vitamin, which consisted of dehydrated cereal grasses and nothing more. Twenty grass tablets provided the minimum daily requirement of most known vitamins and minerals.

The product was called Cerophyl and was popular into the 1950s, when synthetic vitamins took over the market with a promise of the same minimum daily requirements, but with only one tablet instead of twenty. It was not until 1976 that popularity of wheatgrass saw resurgence when Pines International reintroduced tablets and powder, grown according to Schnabel’s standards. This time, it was marketed not as a multi-vitamin but as a rich source of dark green, leafy vegetable nutrition. Seven tablets or a rounded teaspoon of powder provide as much nutrition as a large serving of spinach at less than half the cost.

Gluten-Free Wheatgrass?

Regardless of form, wheatgrass and other cereal grasses are a wonderful source of concentrated green food nutrition and can be an important food for those seeking a gluten-free diet. Some people find this surprising, because anything with the word “wheat” is usually avoided by those seeking a gluten-free diet. Wheat is known to be the highest source of gluten in the diet. The idea that wheatgrass is gluten-free at first seems to be counter-intuitive, but the fact is that wheatgrass should be gluten-free if harvested at the stage Schnabel harvested his wheatgrass.

If a company makes a gluten-free product claim on labels or literature, FDA now requires that company to have tests for each batch on file showing that the gluten level was below 20 parts per million. Thus, when a product containing wheatgrass makes a gluten-free claim, if the company is reputable, the product was tested to make sure it was not in violation of FDA regulations.

Given the new FDA standard, not all wheatgrass products can claim to be gluten-free. That’s because not all companies harvest at the gluten-free stage. To understand why some wheatgrass products contain gluten and others do not, it is helpful to understand how wheatgrass is supposed to grow.

Wheatgrass and other cereal grass could be called “the placenta for grain.” Immature, nearly-microscopic seed heads develop in the roots during the long period of slow growth in cold weather. Dr. Schnabel found that wheatgrass reaches its peak nutritional level at the beginning of the journey of the seed head upward to make the grain. As the tiny seed head starts moving out of the root, the plant forms a stalk. The seed head moves upward inside the stalk, growing in size and utilizing the stored nutrition of the wheatgrass.

As long as the wheatgrass is harvested when it is a short grass, and the grass is cut off above the immature seed head, it is gluten-free. At this stage, the wheat plant is about eight to ten inches tall, and the immature seed head is near the base of the plant, well below the cutting bars on the harvesting machines.

In an effort to increase production, some agribusinesses allow the wheat plant to grow much taller than what Schnabel used in his research. When they postpone harvest-waiting for greater tonnage per acre-the seed heads are no longer below the cutting bars of harvesting machines. When the plants are harvested below the growing seed head, the gluten level can be above the 20 ppm threshold considered by the FDA to be gluten-free.

Actually, if wheat is harvested after the seed head has moved up the stalk, it is technically no longer wheatgrass. The nutrition in the wheatgrass goes toward supplying the growing seed head with nourishment as it moves up the stalk. As the seed head grows in size and journeys up inside the stalk, the wheatgrass becomes a dried mass of brown leaves at the base of the stalk.

Besides having gluten, plants harvested after the seed head starts to grow should technically not be called “wheatgrass.” They would more correctly be called “flag grass,” because the product does not consist of wheatgrass but rather the green material of flag leaves that grow off the stalk that formed. Inside the stalk is the rapidly developing seed head that will emerge at the top of the stalk as a fully developed shaft of grain. Once that seed head starts to grow and move up the stalk, it utilizes the stored nutrition of the wheatgrass. After that, the wheatgrass dries up and is void of nutrition.

For a consumer to ensure that a wheatgrass product is gluten-free and that it was harvested at the correct time, it needs to have a gluten-free statement on the label. A gluten-free statement indicates that the product has been tested and the company can provide independent laboratory test results to the FDA for each batch, showing less than 20 ppm of gluten. Even juice products like wheatgrass juice powder or frozen wheatgrass juice can contain gluten if harvested after the stalk has formed and the seed head has started its journey. If the gluten-free claim is not on a label, the product labeled “wheatgrass” probably contains more than 20 ppm of gluten.

Regardless of whether you use gluten-free wheatgrass, tray-grown wheatgrass, wheatgrass juice powder, or frozen juice, all contain extremely high levels of chlorophyll and green food nutrition. They all supply exactly the kind of vegetable nutrition that is deficient in most diets, as well as essential vegetable fiber.

In his studies, Charles Schnabel discovered that the healthiest wheatgrass was the one with the highest protein amount. He was able to produce the wheatgrass with the 40% protein, but only on the land with high amount of trace minerals.

Q: (L) I have some questions about shapes. The shapes that I have in mind are folded proteins. I was reading that proteins fold because of the order of the amino acids and how they're attached. These amino acid molecules or bits have little appendages on them. They are either water-loving or water-hating, oil-loving or oil-hating, positive charge or negative charge, and various combinations of those options. It's those qualities of these appendages that cause the protein to naturally fold into the shape that it needs to be in order to do the job that it does. That in itself is pretty fascinating: for DNA to give the instructions, to attach different amino acid molecules one after the other in specific order for it to fold to make a very, very specific shape. The shape is quite important because it's the shape of the folded protein that then enables it to interact with other molecules within the living system in order to do its work. A certain shape that still has a few hanging appendages in a very specific configuration can then pick up other molecules and transport them or combine with them or any of various activities... Ya know, it's just a mind-boggling complicated thing! That's one thing about proteins. The other thing I was reading was about photosynthesis. Photosynthesis is like the foundational event of life: that is, taking light or photons, and transforming light into sugar, oxygen, and water. To me, that is like an astonishing event: to transform ephemeral light into matter! I was reading about the ways this is done. The proteins that are involved in photosynthesis once again have appendages. These little things that stick out have a very particular configuration. They can literally capture and channel and move things. The work is so precise that proteins can move a single electron along very complicated pathways and make it do what they want it to do. So, this is all leading up to a question because if at the foundation of life there is light, photosynthesis, and proteins, and proteins are what do EVERYTHING, and they do it because they have certain shapes, is it possible as part of the natural law of how things are done that larger structures take the shapes that they do because it's more conducive to their functioning? For example, a heart... That's the first question. Is it possible that these larger structures that are formed by different kinds of proteins take their shapes because it follows a certain natural law in the same way that the folding of proteins follows the laws of the different molecules that naturally induce the folding?

A: Indeed. And notice that it can appear as if "life" exists in the individual organs when in fact it is merely the antenna-like function of the protein.

Q: (L) Okay, so there are some proteins that can fold and jiggle, let's call it. They fold and then part of their function is to move in a certain way regularly or rhythmically. Does that relate to the idea that a heart can continue beating after it's been removed from the body, that it's a function of the ensemble of proteins that are making up the organ? It can continue to function as long as there is some... Some ability to receive some information?

A: Exactly.

Q: (L) If it was just the action of the raw materials, the amino acids or whatever, why couldn't it function forever? Why does it stop?

A: Antenna! Attracts more than light! Life energy or what you might call "soul" is bound by antenna of a sort.

Q: (L) So if the soul so to speak leaves the body, there is some residual function that can continue kind of like a battery that's been charged, and then when that energy runs out, there's no more incoming? Is that it?

A: Yes.

Q: (L) In other words, the trillions of these little appendages or little antennae on proteins are sort of like the anchors for the soul? Like the little antenna that collect photons?

A: Yes

Q: (Joe) Does that also go for all parts of the human body? Every cell of your body?

(...)

(Ark) Something occurred to me when I was on my bike today. So, I am riding, right? And there is a butterfly in front of me. I ride, and the butterfly just flies in front of me. Probably it has some fun for doing that. Now, there is this road, and there is this butterfly flying. And we were both going against the wind. And then I am thinking: Okay, we have these Boeings with AI that are crashing. I've never seen a butterfly that crashed! [laughter] And then it goes against the wind! There is a software somewhere in the butterfly which is SO ADVANCED that it is... It cannot consciously compute anything, but something is doing it! So, how it can fly against the wind with almost no power?

(L) And that tiny little butterfly has a tiny little brain... it's so small!

(Ark) What I want to know is: Where is the software which is SO powerful and so universal?! It's crash-proof! Where does it come from? Is it in the genes? Or after the butterfly is born, it downloads from somewhere this software? Where is it?

(Pierre) It's the information field [makes patented Pierre Information Field Gesture].

(L) Information field. So, your question is: Where does the butterfly's software come from?

(Ark) Yes.

A: As Pierre said, it is information fully and freely given/received via the antenna of the proteins.

Session 23 March 2019

(Pierre) I have another question about DNA. In previous sessions, it was mentioned that you Laura and Joe for example had a dozen or more DNA strands. Are these extra DNA strands of a material nature?

(Joe) No.

(Pierre) Do these extra DNA strands have electromagnetic properties?

Q: (Pierre) Do they act in a fractal way?

Q: (Pierre) Do they enable a 'deeper' access to the information field?

Q: (L) You could have answered those questions yourself.

(Joe) Yeah. In the last session when we mentioned it, they talked about that.

(L) I swear, Pierre, sometimes you look just like Gurdjieff. You need to use mascara on your mustache. [laughter]

(Joe) That's your extra DNA strands making you look like Gurdjieff. [laughter]

(Pierre) Well, it was not obvious to me. It took me years to think about it.

(Joe) Well, it was said in one of those sessions that they weren't of a physical nature.

(Ark) Can I ask a question? Are eyebrows antennas?

Q: (Ark) Antennas for what?

A: Information.

Q: (Artemis) So is the hair on your head.

(Pierre) Any protein.

(Chu) All proteins are antenna for information.

(L) I knew there was a reason I liked big hair! [laughter]

(Andromeda) And gentlemen get more hairy as they become older and wiser.

(L) Well, they replace the hair on their head with hair in their nose and ears. [laughter]

(Joe) If it's all proteins, that means all proteins in your body as well.

Session 17 July 2021

Q: (L) Well... So what is the important take home message here?

A: Consider the relationship between the previously discussed protein antennae and your reality. That determines who you are and what you see.

Q: (Pierre) Does it mean that in those times of chaos, higher density STS beings are busy beaming human beings and...

A: No. It means that one should be concerned with aligning the antennae to cosmic purposes.

Q: (L) So...

(Joe) The previous answer was that twisting and distorting prophetic...

A: There is a match between future and present frequency.

Q: (L) So, you're saying that we should be concerned about our antennae and stuff now because that is our present frequency, and that is what determines our future. We should be aligning that present frequency with cosmic purposes in order for that future outcome to be desirable?

Q: (Artemis) In a way, we are what we will be. So that means we must be now what we will be then.

Session 18 May 2019

(Aeneas) Using the 'as above so below' approach, could the 'storing' of information in quartz crystals be similar to the 'storing' of information in the DNA?

Q: (Aeneas) Is it a storing of information or is it really more like a link-up to the information field?

A: Storing of information that allows link to information field.

Q: (L) It's like a codebreaker or something - I dunno.

(Aeneas) Pierre mentioned in the link below that protein in keratin is spiral shaped in connection with hair as antennas.

Is it the geometric shape (spiral) which the protein antennas use?

Session 18 December 2021

One form of "storing information" would be diet, because what we eat becomes part of our body, and the proteins that we eat become proteins of our body. And because proteins are antennae, that has an effect on our link to information field.

So perhaps Charles Schnabel discovered that proteins from wheatgrass can improve human protein antennae, which can then improve human health. And that is why he was using wheatgrass just prior to the jointing stage, because after that, proteins would progressively disappear from the plants.

Those same proteins could also end up in the milk of cows who graze on cereal grass pastures, or perhaps the cows would channel some kind of positive energy into the milk because they would have improved connection with the information field. And that could be the reason why Weston Price had success with treating people with the dairy products from cereal grass grazing cows.

Back
Top Bottom