Chocolate

Gaby

SuperModerator
FOTCM Member
I love to read any good news about chocolate :)

Dark chocolate flavonoids reduce high blood pressure

Cocoa reduces high blood pressure but tea does not, according to a study published in the Archives of Internal Medicine. Researchers from the University Hospital of Cologne in Germany compared the results of 10 different studies, five examining the effects of cocoa on blood pressure, and five examining the effects of tea. Both cocoa and tea are high in plant compounds called flavonoids, which prior studies have linked to reduced cholesterol levels and blood clotting risk.

In the five cocoa studies, conducted between 1966 and 2006, consumption of cocoa caused a lowering of blood pressure by an average of 4.7/2.8 mm Hg. In the five tea studies, no significant change was observed.

"This suggests that the different plant phenols must be differentiated with respect to their blood pressure-lowering potential and thus cardiovascular disease prevention," the researchers wrote.

Tea is higher in the type of flavonoid called flavan-3-ols, while cocoa is higher in procyanids. The researchers said that the level of blood-pressure reduction observed in the cocoa studies would be sufficient to reduce the risk of stroke by 20 percent, the risk of coronary heart disease by 10 percent and the overall risk of premature death by 8 percent.

But they warned that their results did not necessarily mean people should begin consuming large quantities of chocolate, dark or otherwise. For one thing, chocolate tends to be high in calories, and the negative effects of consuming a sugary, high-calorie food may outweigh any health benefits of the cocoa itself.

For another thing, the manner in which the studies were conducted was rather artificial and its results may not translate well into the real world.

"In the studies we reviewed, the blood pressure results occurred with cocoa doses above the habitual intake and were observed only in the setting of short-term interventions," said lead researcher Dirk Taubert. "It is not known whether long-term intake of small habitual amounts of cocoa ... may also cause significant blood pressure effects."

"Cacao is a healing superfood," exclaimed Mike Adams, the Health Ranger, in response to this study. "But its effects go far beyond merely balancing blood pressure. Raw cacao protects the liver, brain and heart. It stabilizes mood, helps detoxify the blood and in a very real way brightens your day." Adams emphasizes that only raw, unprocessed cacao offers the best benefits, and that consumers should avoid purchasing processed chocolate products made with refined sugar or milk fat.

Reading this threat

http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=6915&p=5

i became determined from now on to live on dark bitter chocolate with almonds, and water :D

(whispering: i suspect Laura has a hidden bag of cool emoticons somewhere... should we give her chocolate to tell us where she got them from? :P)

Irini said:
(whispering: i suspect Laura has a hidden bag of cool emoticons somewhere... should we give her chocolate to tell us where she got them from? :P)
She got awesome emoticons from Keit, as I did (during the "Tesla" thread). It's at this site: _http://www.smileyhut.com/

I only take chocolate milk, heh heh.

SHX325015X_L.jpg

I know its not 70-80% but I dont think its too offtopic :)

Tigersoap said:
If you never tasted Belgian chocolate you never tasted chocolate at all :D
That's true!

At least you got the most pricey chocolate in the World ;-)

And then, there is my "Death By Chocolate" Cake. Gluten free, naturally!

this is my new favorite way to eat dark chocolate:

Mix together in a container:

Walnuts, almonds, dried cherries, dried apricots, AND Dark Chocolate chips....yum!!!

Chocolate is not food, it is luxury. That explains why chocolate does not cause weight problems :-)

Also, try this: next time you make spaghetti, mix one or two teaspoons of pure cocoa powder into the tomato sauce.

name said:
Chocolate is not food, it is luxury. That explains why chocolate does not cause weight problems :-)
LOL! Good call! However, I think Chocolate should be THE major food in 4 D!

name said:
Also, try this: next time you make spaghetti, mix one or two teaspoons of pure cocoa powder into the tomato sauce.
Are you joking?

Laura said:
Are you joking?
No. try it out. You need the pure cocoa powder w/o sugar (a label known to me is Bensdorp). It gives the sauce a darker color what makes it look strange, but the taste is fuller, and we like it. The Mexicans have something called "Mole" - it is based on Cocoa (and other things), and it is used in main dishes and on meat. You can also put cocoa powder in thick soups if the color doesnt bother you.

name said:
Laura said:
Are you joking?
No. try it out. You need the pure cocoa powder w/o sugar (a label known to me is Bensdorp). It gives the sauce a darker color what makes it look strange, but the taste is fuller, and we like it. The Mexicans have something called "Mole" - it is based on Cocoa (and other things), and it is used in main dishes and on meat. You can also put cocoa powder in thick soups if the color doesnt bother you.
Chilli flavoured chocolate is also one that sounds strange but also works.

Good thing is it contains BOTH of the Vitamin Ch food groups! :)

Back
Top Bottom