"Clean" Pork Producers (Organic / Grass-fed / Natural)

Question: is corn considered a grain or a veggie? If it's a vegetable, then it should not be a problem if there is corn added to their feed, as long as it's organic. Any comments on that?

It’s considered grain from my understanding and it’s one of the grains that gets more toxins due to the pesticides farmers use on the corn fields!

I agree about the quality of hunted meat being not ideal if you’re trying to avoid GMOs, etc. The deer where I am fatten themselves up in the fall on GMO corn. Their meat doesn’t even taste gamey because of it.

Anyway, if you are in the United States I like Dutch Meadows Farm for pastured pork, poultry, beef, lamb and eggs. They also sell raw dairy. They are based out of Pennsylvania but will ship to most if not all of the lower 48 states. I will maybe place an order once a month or every other because the shipping costs are hefty.

Cool, I found a producer of good pork in Southern BC in case anyone is interested. I emailed the farmer and the pigs are not fed conventional/GMO feed - they are fed with barley, pastured, given fruit and veggie scraps, and finished with apples. Looks pretty darn good for $8 per pound!

They also sell fat for $3/lb! That's crazy! Nowadays I use rendered fat from the pigs I raised as an additive to soups and the grass-fed beef I eat. This may be a good option for people who can't find cost effective clean pork - ask the farmers if they'll sell you fat, render it, pressure cook it, and spend the apocalypse in comfort and enjoyment.

They also sell fat for $3/lb! That's crazy! Nowadays I use rendered fat from the pigs I raised as an additive to soups and the grass-fed beef I eat. This may be a good option for people who can't find cost effective clean pork - ask the farmers if they'll sell you fat, render it, pressure cook it, and spend the apocalypse in comfort and enjoyment.
I've talked to them and am going for a full pig in September. I was looking all over BC for good pork, its extremely hard to find out here.

I am lucky enough to have a butcher that sells grass-fed beef fat for 3$/LB as well.. 50/50 tallow/lard mix is finally within grasp.

Thanks for the info!

New Zealand pork is a pretty good bet for a reasonably healthy and ethically raised meat.
You can learn more about free-range and free-farmed pork on the website.

View attachment 96220
Being free-ranged is a first step indeed. However it doesn't exclude GMO feedings, antibiotics and growth hormones being given to them, unfortunately. Without talking about the various toxic and useless additives found in ham, bacon and sausages...
I found 2 fully organic sources so far :
- North Egmont Retreat based in Taranaki, that I haven't tried yet and products appear as sold out.
- The Organic Farm Butchery from which I bought other products but haven't found pork yet in their retailers. Ordering online may allow more chance to get some, they also have an official shop in Hastings.

Being free-ranged is a first step indeed. However it doesn't exclude GMO feedings, antibiotics and growth hormones being given to them, unfortunately. Without talking about the various toxic and useless additives found in ham, bacon and sausages...
I found 2 fully organic sources so far :
- North Egmont Retreat based in Taranaki, that I haven't tried yet and products appear as sold out.
- The Organic Farm Butchery from which I bought other products but haven't found pork yet in their retailers. Ordering online may allow more chance to get some, they also have an official shop in Hastings.
Not quite correct. Although obviously organic pork is better if you can access or afford it.

From the New Zealand Pork website:
They are fed a mix of grains and cereals for energy, plus sources of protein such as dairy by-products, and soya bean meal, along with vitamins and minerals. Pigs are also excellent recyclers of by-products and left-overs from the human food chain, such as bread, dairy and vegetables from supermarkets that would otherwise go to landfill.

Growth hormones are not used in New Zealand pork production. While PST (porcine somatropin) is registered for use in New Zealand under veterinary supervision, the New Zealand pork industry took a stance against its use in 2002. When farmers send their pigs to processing, they sign a declaration that the pigs have not been given PST.

Antibiotics are not used routinely – only under veterinary supervision when needed for a sick pig and to maintain and enhance pig health and welfare.
(Emphasis is not mine, this is a direct quote.)

Not quite correct. Although obviously organic pork is better if you can access or afford it.

From the New Zealand Pork website:

(Emphasis is not mine, this is a direct quote.)
Thanks, when I go on their page there's no way to get the text for me, both on phone and laptop for some reason.

Thanks, when I go on their page there's no way to get the text for me, both on phone and laptop for some reason.
I had to hunt through the pages to find the specific info on the pigs diet. It wasn’t super easy to find, I think it was under the farming tab.

Back
Top Bottom