Color perception

I said teal and gray, but apparently teal is a darker color.

Yep, same here, mostly grey but with patches containing a "pink" hue. I think it's one of those contrasting effects. If you look at the attached, when on pure white or black, it looks mostly grey but when surrounded by aquamarine it starts to look a bit more pinkish. For reference, the square on the left is a sample taken from the most 'pinkish' area, while the right is the more 'grey' area. Although when isolated it looks a bit green compared to the pink one when on a white or black bg.

Color theory! Totally looks more pink depending on background color. I use Iris so there is an orange bias, but if I turn it off to where it's bright blue, the pink is more easy to perceive. I color picked the image, and in RGB values the laces have mostly blue and green, thus cyan/bluegreen leaning.

Yeah, I see some background pink in the grey, but what puzzles me is a very few people seeing the green/aquamarine/turquoise as white!

I cannot see the white!

I think it is quite common to perceive cyan (shades of cyan btw) as either blue or green since it's right between those to colors.

I actually already went to that wiki page. I find "shades of xyz" entries to be useful. I'd say the laces are Tiffany Blue.

I remember the dress that people could see distinct colours on. I don't remember what the colours where, but I did originally see it as one set of colours, then it shifted in front of my eyes to blue/gold and I couldn't go back to seeing the other colours.

Yes, the dress one I remember being easier to shift color perception. Still don't see an overall pink or white here..

"all cats are gray in the dark". Low illumination and the kind of illumination (low temperature tungsten lamps, or even worse, LED lamps) can change the color perception. Usually the brain corrects for color when there are references to extrapolate from. Numerically it can be done with the so-called "white balance".

Here are the results with 1) a simple equalization of luminosity without touching the color components, 2) a crude white balancing (by taking the little table as a reference) + crude equalization.

Capture12equalized.pngCapture12white.JPG

Last edited:
I see pinkish grey and aquamarine. I think like a couple others have mentioned this is like one of those visual optical illusions. The mind can critically correct what it sees based on what it knows "should" be there. In this case, what should be there are white and pink:

It may be an optical illusion, but different people viewing the image on the same monitor will see very different colors.

Shoes pink to reddish, laces light aquamarine. Cold variant with my left eye, and more warm variant with the right (I'm strabistic and I see colors differently with each eye ;-D )

I'm pretty sure we did something like this with a dress before, but I thought I'd check again with this.

Which colors do you see on first look? (note, just the shoe colors, laces included)

.View attachment 38790

FWIW, predominately grey but with very faint traces of pink and aquamarine mixed together for the main shoe body, and then aquamarine: shoe laces, the one stripe, and the sole.

I see grey shoes and turquoise laces.

Ok I saw now the post above that the shoe actual color is pink/white, but in the picture in first post - to me is gray/turquoise.
🤷‍♀️

:jawdrop: What?? Pink and white? Okay now I have to find the post you are talking about.

It may be an optical illusion, but different people viewing the image on the same monitor will see very different colors.

Yes, that's our case exactly. Yesterday I showed the picture to my family on the same monitor, and they said they see a pink shoe and white laces. When I look at the picture, I can only see a pinkish grey shoe and aquamarine laces, no white there.

The following short explanatory video is interesting, but I still can't see white laces anyway.

Yeah, that's what makes it more like the audio illusions where some hear the higher frequencies, some the lower frequencies - not like the typical optical illusion where everyone is tricked in the same way. In this case, some people see the 'literal' colors on the screen - and others see the colors "corrected" to what they would be in white light, like in the video Siberia posted right above. It would be cool to do some lab experiments to see if there are any correlations to go along with who sees what colors.

It's an interesting phenomenon, because for those seeing grey/blue variations, technically they're seeing what is in front of them, but missing the fact that the shoe itself is pink/white and the lighting is just off. But those seeing pink/white are automatically correcting the image without seeing that the lighting of the picture is actually displaying different colors than they are 'seeing'.

Reminds me of Laura's grandma's advice from the Wave: "Don't believe anything you hear, and only half of what you see!"

It's an interesting phenomenon, because for those seeing grey/blue variations, technically they're seeing what is in front of them, but missing the fact that the shoe itself is pink/white and the lighting is just off. But those seeing pink/white are automatically correcting the image without seeing that the lighting of the picture is actually displaying different colors than they are 'seeing'.
That's exactly why colors are weird. The brain usually corrects for the illumination conditions but not always, especially if not given the context.
A very fun experiment is to use monochromatic lights as a source (in a dark room, which is not a natural situation) and see how objects of pure colors appear and disappear.

Back
Top Bottom