Comet cluster -- incurring heavy losses on population as "food source"

Anart said:
Moving an entire planet populated by billions of souls out of harm's way because you think it's a good idea is 'playing god'.

We're not god.
If you have technology that can move a planet to avoid its destruction then I think you would become 'God' of that planet. You would have the power to destroy the planet (by not using the technology) or delaying the destruction (using the technology). As SAO says it then becomes your decision.
SAO said:
It makes me hurt just for the person who is faced with such a decision, because I know they'll be hurting trying to make the right choice and most beneficial for all involved, which can very well be to allow nature to take its course, which can mean a lot of pain and suffering for all, which might still be less than the suffering that results after interfering too. Perhaps there is no way to just avoid suffering, so either decision may include a LOT of suffering. The C's say out of the fire comes light, so that's definitely one thing to consider too.
So what would you do?

rich said:
If you have technology that can move a planet to avoid its destruction then I think you would become 'God' of that planet. You would have the power to destroy the planet (by not using the technology) or delaying the destruction (using the technology). As SAO says it then becomes your decision.
I'm afraid you missed my point. Yes, it would be 'god' to that planet - my point is that it is not - to my understanding - an STO endeavor to make such a decision and to act in such a way for billions of souls who have not made the choice to make such a move. I could be mistaken, but, currently, this is my understanding. The fact of the matter is that we are not god - we cannot place ourselves on the level of the Universe to make such decisions for other souls.

Rich said:
So what would you do?
I don't think I could answer that right now because I don't think I'm ready to make such a decision right now. I don't SEE enough to really know what I'm doing in that regard, and the responsibility is beyond that which I'm ready or capable of comprehending and accepting - and I hope no STO entity in its right mind would "bestow" such a decision on someone like me lol. I mean obviously if the choice is just suddenly there NOW regardless of my readiness for it then I'd have no choice but to either do it or abstrain from interfering. I might think that inaction is always a safe choice, but it's not, and inaction can often be STS and very bad idea for everyone, so there is no standard template for what is always "safe" - it really does depend on the details. As such, I think I'd have to make that choice when those details are available, and not hypothetically ahead of time.

anart said:
Yes, it would be 'god' to that planet - my point is that it is not - to my understanding - an STO endeavor to make such a decision and to act in such a way for billions of souls who have not made the choice to make such a move. I could be mistaken, but, currently, this is my understanding. The fact of the matter is that we are not god - we cannot place ourselves on the level of the Universe to make such decisions for other souls.
I see your point Anart but if you came into the possesion of such technology then STO or STS wouldn't you be forced to make a decision? extrapolating back this would imply that it is not STO to try and develop a technology that would move the planet to avoid a comet.

I agree with Rich here. If I had the technology to move Earth out of a comet's path, I would do it. The future is open. It is precisely because we are not God so we cannot know whether our action would deprive others of a lesson or not. It's the old question whether or not the end justifies the means. I remember Laura and Adpop mentioned this a while ago, but can't find the thread at the moment.

Rich said:
extrapolating back this would imply that it is not STO to try and develop a technology that would move the planet to avoid a comet.
I think the question deals with putting energy into something outside of ourselves to create a new world rather than making our own efforts to do such. In the latter we have the opportunity to learn why we're here and what we can Do; the former seems to deny that, imo. Learning what we can Do may be it's own type of technology that will not interfere with other's will. osit.

Back
Top Bottom