Comet Research Group

caught this on my dashcam whilst driving home from work this evening at 5:38PM (GMT). ignore the timestamp on the video, I haven't disabled daylight saving time.

on camera, the object appears hollow, almost like a corona. but to my naked eye, it was a solid ball, very bright, with a green trail.

I was stunned!

anybody know what this could have been?

I'm guessing it was the meteor-fireball that a number of people on X reported seeing. Sightings were reported from Scotland to the midlands, and further south, and the time, as well as even the green description, also match.

Yesterday, when someone in my X feed reported seeing it, i did a search, and found the following video, but there are others.

It may have also been reported on the AMS website (because that's where i reported a sighting a few years back - but i don't know, i haven't checked):

Btw, good catch! And thanks for sharing the footage.

At this precise moment Halley's Comet is at aphelion, the farthest point in its orbit beyond Neptune. A moment suspended in space and it is already returning to us. Next appearance in our skies: the year 2061

12P/Pons-Brooks luminosity transition luminosity at 30” aperture (until 12/07)
L-2
total luminosity

At this precise moment Halley's Comet is at aphelion, the farthest point in its orbit beyond Neptune. A moment suspended in space and it is already returning to us. Next appearance in our skies: the year 2061

Yes, Halley's Comet reached the aphelion at about 8:00pm EST on December 8, 2023, but the slowest point in its orbit was on March 19, 2024, notably about three months past perihelion, since the comet orbits the solar system’s barycenter rather than the Sun itself.

So you could say that the real return to us started on March 19, 2024. You can read more about that here: Halley's Comet at Aphelion

Back
Top Bottom