Comet Research Group

caught this on my dashcam whilst driving home from work this evening at 5:38PM (GMT). ignore the timestamp on the video, I haven't disabled daylight saving time.

on camera, the object appears hollow, almost like a corona. but to my naked eye, it was a solid ball, very bright, with a green trail.

I was stunned!

anybody know what this could have been?

I'm guessing it was the meteor-fireball that a number of people on X reported seeing. Sightings were reported from Scotland to the midlands, and further south, and the time, as well as even the green description, also match.

Yesterday, when someone in my X feed reported seeing it, i did a search, and found the following video, but there are others.

It may have also been reported on the AMS website (because that's where i reported a sighting a few years back - but i don't know, i haven't checked):

Btw, good catch! And thanks for sharing the footage.

At this precise moment Halley's Comet is at aphelion, the farthest point in its orbit beyond Neptune. A moment suspended in space and it is already returning to us. Next appearance in our skies: the year 2061

12P/Pons-Brooks luminosity transition luminosity at 30” aperture (until 12/07)
L-2
total luminosity

At this precise moment Halley's Comet is at aphelion, the farthest point in its orbit beyond Neptune. A moment suspended in space and it is already returning to us. Next appearance in our skies: the year 2061

Yes, Halley's Comet reached the aphelion at about 8:00pm EST on December 8, 2023, but the slowest point in its orbit was on March 19, 2024, notably about three months past perihelion, since the comet orbits the solar system’s barycenter rather than the Sun itself.

So you could say that the real return to us started on March 19, 2024. You can read more about that here: Halley's Comet at Aphelion

How to see meteors from 3,000 years ago this week

Earth is due to pass through a trail of debris left behind by Halley’s Comet in 985 B.C.E., which may cause a slight bump in the number of meteors ahead of the Eta Aquariids’ peak next week.

When Halley’s Comet flies through the inner solar system every 75 years, it leaves behind a trail of dust and debris. Every year, Earth passes through that trail — once in May and again in October. Each time it does, we see a stunning meteor shower: the Orionids in October, and the Eta Aquariids in May.

This year, the Eta Aquariid meteor shower reaches its peak on May 5, which is generally when the most shooting stars can be seen. But this year, something special may happen, as two days earlier, on May 3, Earth is projected to move through a particular trail of debris shed by the famous comet in 985 B.C.E. This could cause a second small peak in the shower — and also offers a chance to watch some pretty ancient dust spectacularly burn up in our atmosphere!

An historic stream

Every time a comet passes through the inner solar system, it is heated by the Sun, causing it to spew dust and gas. These generate the stunning tails we see. After it’s liberated from the comet, some of that dust continues to orbit the Sun along the same path as its parent comet, which is how we can predict exactly when Earth will run into these streams each year to create meteor showers.

But over time the solar wind, coupled with gravitational effects from the worlds of the inner solar system, can cause these streams to distort and “wander” in their orbits
. Astronomers can use computer modeling to determine just how different streams from various passages may behave over time, and calculations show that this year, we’re due to pass through a particular “thread” left by Halley’s Comet from some 3,000 years ago, when it appeared in the sky in 985 B.C.E.

How to see Halley’s meteors

So, how can you catch sight of shooting stars making their final journey after floating in space for three millennia? Fortunately, it’s easy, and the mild May weather should even make it quite enjoyable.

On Friday morning, you’ll want to be up early. Look east starting about two hours before sunrise, when the shower’s radiant, located in Aquarius the Water-bearer, is 15° above the horizon. Within an hour (so, by an hour before sunrise), the radiant has nearly doubled its altitude and is 25° high. You can easily locate the radiant by looking almost directly above and just slightly right of magnitude 1 Saturn, the brightest point of light in this region of the sky.

Once you’ve located the radiant, it’s time to move away from it — turn your gaze about 40° to 60° to one side or the other, so you’re looking more northeast or southeast. These are the places in the sky where you’re more likely to see the long, streaking trains of bright meteors as they skim through our atmosphere. You won’t need any special equipment, just your eyes and some patience. You can expect to see perhaps a dozen or so meteors per hour if our passage through this historical stream causes a slight bump in the number of expected meteors, which is expected to peak on the 5th at about 50 meteors per hour.

Just know that any meteors you do see, however many or few, are the same pieces of space dust left behind by Halley’s Comet some 3,000 years ago — a unique connection to history!

This could explain cometary bombardments which are not connected to the main cometary cycle of 3600 years. Cometary fragments from the main body, over time, probably got their own separate orbits.

Back
Top Bottom