The Australian government stance on the coronavirus and the actions they are taking.

Highlights:
  • Acknowledgement that only those with comorbidities are dying.
  • Don't race out and buy masks.
  • We have 1 million masks to be distributed to primary health networks.
  • And we have 21.5 million masks, 12 million P2 masks (would have been handy for the fire fighters!), and 9 million surgical masks.
  • Avoid major gatherings, but send your kids to school. (possibly an excuse to break up protest marches)
  • Scott Morrison: "To be honest, right now, my focus is on people and their health and well being" repeated twice in quick succession. My stomach turned watching him say it. 🤢
It sounds like the Aussies that they are retrieving from China will be held at the Christmas Island Detention centre, or maybe those that test positive for coronavirus will be sent there? That bit is unclear.

In the meantime, the situation is continuing to worsen and the epidemic appears to have entered the exponential growth stage.

Many questions remain unanswered, most notably, whether an asymptomatic host is contagious. This is an important question because the symptoms could take up to 14 days to develop. There is a debate, facts are yet to fully materialise.

Currently, Germany is the main country of focus due to the reported - and confirmed - cases of human-to-human transmission. This situation is evolving fast - more details in the second article attached below.

I would say that it is important not to panic but to also remain vigilant - and to assess one's ability to deal with a local pandemic scenario.

It may not happen but do you have Plans A, B and C? I'm not sure I do...

China Death Toll Climbs to 132 as Cases Soar: Virus Update

25 More Coronavirus Deaths in China, Hong Kong Restricts Travel

China Death Toll Climbs to 132 as Cases Soar: Virus Update
By Jeff Sutherland
28 January 2020, 17:10 GMT-7
Updated on 28 January 2020, 18:51 GMT-7

The novel coronavirus spread further, with the number of confirmed cases in China soaring to overtake the official number of infections in the country during the SARS epidemic.

Governments tightened international travel and border crossings with China as they ramped up efforts to stop the spread of the disease. Hong Kong announced it will close some border checkpoints and restrict transportation from the mainland. The U.S. and U.K. on Tuesday said residents should avoid all non-essential travel to China, and United Airlines Holdings Inc. said it would cut flight service after a drop in demand.

CHINA-HEALTH-VIRUS

People in facemasks rush to buy necessities at a store in Wuhan on Jan. 26. Photographer: Hector Retamal/AFP via Getty Images)
Here are the latest developments. All times are Hong Kong time:

Hong Kong Stocks Tumble as Trading Resumes (9:36 a.m.)

Investors in Hong Kong caught up with the rapidly spreading virus outbreak, as the Hang Seng Index dropped as much as 3% in early trading. Financial markets in Hong Kong opened for the first time this week following the Lunar New Year break.

Financial markets in China will reopen on Monday after the central government extended the holidays on the mainland. China pledged to provide abundant liquidity for money markets and urged investors to evaluate the impact of the coronavirus objectively.

Australians Urged to Reconsider China Travel (8:57 a.m.):
Australia updated its travel advice, urging citizens to reconsider all travel to China, Prime Minister Scott Morrison told reporters in Canberra.

The advisory comes as the country is preparing a plan to help evacuate Australians from the city of Wuhan and Hubei province. Evacuated citizens will be quarantined on Christmas Island for up to 14 days.

Other countries, including the U.S., also are working to evacuate their citizens in Wuhan.

Japan’s First Wuhan Evacuation Flight Arrives (8:20 a.m.):
Japan’s first charter flight carrying evacuees from Wuhan, the city at the epicenter of the outbreak, landed in Tokyo on Wednesday. The plane was carrying 206 people, according to the Japanese government.

The passengers will be subject to two weeks home quarantine, the government has said. Other
countries, including the U.S. and Australia, also are working to evacuate their citizens in Wuhan.

China Virus Cases Surpass Those From SARS (8:09 a.m.):
The number of infected cases in mainland China soared to 5,974, the National Health Commission said Wednesday. That’s more than the 5,327 cases officially reported in the country during in the SARS epidemic 17 years ago.

The death toll climbed to 132, with most of the cases in Hubei, the epicenter of the outbreak. The province added 25 fatalities on Wednesday. Almost 60,000 patients are under observations, the NHC said, double the number from earlier in the week.

25 More Coronavirus Deaths in China, Hong Kong Restricts Travel
By Robert Langreth, Michelle Cortez, and Tim Loh
28 January 2020, 14:17 GMT-7
Updated on 28 January 2020, 15:36 GMT-7

Governments tightened international travel and border crossings with China to try to stop the spread of a coronavirus outbreak that has sickened thousands, and Germany said it had identified a cluster of local patients infected by a woman from Shanghai who had been visiting Europe.

The German cases, which are being closely monitored, appear to be one of the first clusters of transmission outside of China. It’s a worrying sign for public health authorities who have taken aggressive steps to stop what for now has been mostly a Chinese outbreak from becoming an international one.

CHINA-HEALTH-VIRUS

Hotel workers in protective masks exercise in the lobby during a staff briefing in Wuhan on Jan. 28.
Photographer: Hector Retamal/AFP via Getty Images

The U.S. and U.K. on Tuesday said that residents should avoid all non-essential travel to China, and United Airlines Holdings Inc., the biggest U.S. carrier to the Asian nation, said it would cut flight service after a drop in demand.

Hong Kong announced restrictions on travel from mainland China. It will close some border checkpoints and restrict flights, trains and ferries from the mainland, Chief Executive Carrie Lam said Tuesday. The Chinese government is also suspending visas for visitors to the territory, she said.

The outbreak has rattled global markets and prompted concerns that there could be economic fallout as travel declines and Chinese business is slowed. More than 4,500 people have been infected in China, and at least 125 have died, including 25 deaths announced Wednesday morning.

In Vietnam, a 65-year-old man from Wuhan became sick with the coronavirus four days after arriving in the country and subsequently infected his 27-year-old son who lived there, according to a report in the New England Journal of Medicine. The family had traveled to four cities across Vietnam in planes, trains and taxis, raising concern about human-to-human transmission outside China, according to the report published Tuesday.

And in Germany, three patients were infected by a female Chinese employee of the auto-parts supplier Webasto AG who had been visiting the company’s offices and realized she was sick on her flight back to China on Jan. 23. The patients are being watched under isolation, according to a statement Tuesday night from the Bavarian Ministry of Health.

Virus China

Government workers spray disinfectant along a street in Wuhan on Jan. 28.

A fourth person who worked at the company had already been diagnosed with the virus. German health authorities said they’re monitoring or investigating about 40 employees who may be at risk, as well as others outside the company.

In the U.S., the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said it is now screening passengers from China at 20 airports, up from five airports last week. While the CDC considers the risk to the American public is considered low, the precautions are necessary to stop its spread, officials said.

“While it’s possible that some person-to-person spread with this virus may be detected in the United States, the goal of the ongoing U.S. public health response is to contain this outbreak and prevent sustained spread in this country,” the CDC said in a statement Tuesday.

American health officials are also trying to get to the front lines of the outbreak in China to better study the fast-moving pathogen. Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar said during a press conference in Washington he has repeatedly raised that possibility with Chinese officials and is hopeful a U.S. team will be let in.

relates to 25 More Coronavirus Deaths in China, Hong Kong Restricts Travel

CHINA-HEALTH-VIRUS

Empty road in Wuhan on Jan. 26
Photographer: Hector Retamal/AFP via Getty Images

“We are urging China, more cooperation and transparency are the most important steps you can take toward a more effective response,” Azar said Tuesday. He said the Chinese government has been far more open with this outbreak than it was with SARS in 2003, the pandemic that killed almost 800 people.

U.S. officials said they have not been given the opportunity to review data from China that suggested transmission might be possible even in patients who aren’t showing the disease’s flu-like symptoms. Even if there are rare instances of asymptomatic transmission, they’re unlikely to become a major factor in the spread, said Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

“Asymptomatic transmission has never been the driver of outbreaks” for any respiratory virus, Fauci said at the press briefing.

The outbreak began last month in the city of Wuhan, the capital of the Hubei province, and has mobilized health officials around the world to try and stop the virus from spreading elsewhere.

Wuhan Two New Hospitals Are Under Construction

Hundreds of construction workers and heavy machinery build new hospitals in Wuhan on Jan. 28
Photographer: Getty Images

China has curtailed travel inside the country and urged people to stay home from work, putting some 50 million people near the outbreak’s center on local quarantines. It’s unclear how successful such measures have been, with a growing numbers of cases across China. Azar said Tuesday that close to half of the recent cases reported in China were outside the Hubei province where the outbreak began.

Other disruptions to global businesses, travel and the world’s second-largest economy are growing. China has extended the Lunar New Year break to Feb. 2, while companies ranging from Starbucks Corp. to Japanese retailer Uniqlo are shutting sites.

it is true that countries with the better health care are having a negative population growth and the countries with the worse ones keep on having kids.

On the other hand, crisis tends to cause decline in birthrates. like what happened in Russia after the collapse of the Soviet Union. So there are probably other factors involved here as well.

The population of Russia peaked at 148,689,000 in 1991, just before the breakup of the Soviet Union. Low birth rates and abnormally high death rates caused Russia's population to decline at a 0.5% annual rate, or about 750,000 to 800,000 people per year from the mid-1990s to the mid-2000s....

The decline slowed considerably in the late 2000s, and in 2009 Russia recorded population growth for the first time in 15 years, adding 23,300.[19][26] Key reasons for the slow current population growth are improving health care, changing fertility patterns among younger women, falling emigration and steady influx of immigrants from ex-USSR countries. In 2012, Russia's population increased by 292,400.[27]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Russia#cite_note-27

Natural_Population_Growth_of_Russia.png

This is weird - Australian scientists recreate the corona virus to develop a vaccination.

This article is basically a reprint of that article but with this added statement, "The virus was grown from a patient who had arrived at the institute on Jan. 24, it added" That was only 4 days ago. I don't know anything about growing virus cultures but is it possible to get those test results in such a short time? In the meantime, China has agreed for the World Health Organization to send international experts to increase their understanding of the new coronavirus.

Australia scientists claim first re-creation of coronavirus outside China
China agrees to WHO sending experts to study virus

Chinese embassy wants Danish paper to apologize for coronavirus cartoon

A cartoon of the coronavirus depicted as part of the Chinese national flag, is pictured in the Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten's Monday January 27, 2020 edition, in Copenhagen, Denmark. Ritzau Scanpix/Ida Marie Odgaard via REUTERS
China's embassy in Denmark has demanded an apology from daily Jyllands-Posten after it published a cartoon of the Chinese flag with its five yellow stars represented by coronavirus particles.

I read on the newspaper the other day that in a country like Mexico, the seasonal rounds of the flu virus H1N1 killed around 80 people out of more than 2000 who got it (similar figures to what we are being told about the coronavirus right now). Likewise, I know that in countries like the UK, every year there is a different strain of flu going around, several people get it, and dozens die - mostly the elder or with health issues...

Dozens?!

Oxford University on influenza in the UK:

In the UK it is estimated that an average of 600 people a year die from complications of flu. In some years it is estimated that this can rise to over 10,000 deaths (see for example this UK study from 2013, which estimated over 13,000 deaths resulting from flu in 2008-09).

China's population is 21 times larger than the UK's, so an equivalent death toll to that 'bad' British flu season a decade ago is around a quarter million people.

Some more historical perspective:
Flu Pandemic (1968)

Death Toll: 1 million
Cause: Influenza
A category 2 Flu pandemic sometimes referred to as “the Hong Kong Flu,” the 1968 flu pandemic was caused by the H3N2 strain of the Influenza A virus, a genetic offshoot of the H2N2 subtype. From the first reported case on July 13, 1968 in Hong Kong, it took only 17 days before outbreaks of the virus were reported in Singapore and Vietnam, and within three months had spread to The Philippines, India, Australia, Europe, and the United States. While the 1968 pandemic had a comparatively low mortality rate (.5%) it still resulted in the deaths of more than a million people, including 500,000 residents of Hong Kong, approximately 15% of its population at the time.

Asian Flu (1956-1958)

Death Toll: 2 million
Asian Flu was a pandemic outbreak of Influenza A of the H2N2 subtype, that originated in China in 1956 and lasted until 1958. In its two-year spree, Asian Flu traveled from the Chinese province of Guizhou to Singapore, Hong Kong, and the United States. Estimates for the death toll of the Asian Flu vary depending on the source, but the World Health Organization places the final tally at approximately 2 million deaths, 69,800 of those in the US alone.

Flu Pandemic (1918)

Death Toll: 20 -50 million
Between 1918 and 1920 a disturbingly deadly outbreak of influenza tore across the globe, infecting over a third of the world’s population and ending the lives of 20 – 50 million people. Of the 500 million people infected in the 1918 pandemic, the mortality rate was estimated at 10% to 20%, with up to 25 million deaths in the first 25 weeks alone. What separated the 1918 flu pandemic from other influenza outbreaks was the victims; where influenza had always previously only killed juveniles and the elderly or already weakened patients, it had begun striking down hardy and completely healthy young adults, while leaving children and those with weaker immune systems still alive.

This aint the plague!

(Which isn't to say that a 'plague' don't cometh! I do wonder if the mass hysteria over this and other recent virus scares is partly due to some 'collective species awareness' that a truly catastrophic 'black death' of sorts is overdue...)

(Which isn't to say that a 'plague' don't cometh! I do wonder if the mass hysteria over this and other recent virus scares is partly due to some 'collective species awareness' that a truly catastrophic 'black death' of sorts is overdue...)

My thoughts as well as I am re-reading Worlds in collision...

Frankly, I cannot explain why, and in a very unusual manner, I feel bad about this one. I have a weight on the chest for four days now, up and down depending on what I'm reading/writing/translating. This "mass hysteria" coming a few weeks after having translated the last Pierre's Focus, and my current reading might have some weight on my feelings. What I do feel is something coming from my guts, and I ever feel something like that before regarding the previous "pandemic" events in 2003, 2009 and 2012 for SARS in China and Saudi Arabia nor the Ebola in Africa. It's like something completely irrational.

Deep breaths don't help for long, but I guess I should do more.

My thoughts as well as I am re-reading Worlds in collision...

Frankly, I cannot explain why, and in a very unusual manner, I feel bad about this one. I have a weight on the chest for four days now, up and down depending on what I'm reading/writing/translating. This "mass hysteria" coming a few weeks after having translated the last Pierre's Focus, and my current reading might have some weight on my feelings. What I do feel is something coming from my guts, and I ever feel something like that before regarding the previous "pandemic" events in 2003, 2009 and 2012 for SARS in China and Saudi Arabia nor the Ebola in Africa. It's like something completely irrational.

I have a strange feeling me too. For one side I know the hype of all of this, mainstream media, fake news, exaggeration, histeria, brain washing like... when the 9/11. And at the other side I feel that something is there, behind all of this, that this one is a little different of the other ones. Like you MK Scarlett I have like a height in my guts, my being is like in a Russian mountain: suddenly very sad, a little anguish, a little anxious (all of this goes out with walking with my dogs but I don't like to feel anxious), then very happy because we are alive, grateful of this life, and then again down goes my feelings, emotions, sad, worried for that maybe this virus is something worst, not afraid but worried, I even have visions of people on the streets dying, and then up goes my feelings. A really mountain from Russia!

We have a lot of information but then we see contradictions, strange things, and then we are in the middle. If it is not a dangerous virus like sars why all this hype ? then we think criminal Bill Gates. If it is so dangerous why people are coming from China as nothing? Many questions. Many mountains! from Russia. :-)

I can put in perspective and I thank Niall for that, and it is important but my height is still there.

I dread that the "wolf!!!" hysteria has been shouted/tried too many times and we will not recognize the real one when it comes...it may be that cynicism will be the killer of accurate perception...
I think hysteria is readily kept in check, because information is near-instantly verifiable. So, the mass-media manipulation - that thrives on sensationalism - is left to do only what it knows to do - distort.

So, whatever comes our way, the mass-media will always be a aggravating factor. But as we are capable of bypassing them, they will always be - like the viruses they report on - trying to infect us.

Here's a local news link about a flight from Wuwhan to California with 200 passengers, with a stopover in Anchorage. Anchorage International is like a refuelling stop for many flights to the Orient.

Same for me. I remember trying to connect myself to the "source" of this virus, at the beginning of the outbreak, and feeling a very dark, black, malicious energy, reminding me of some feelings I had while reading some books about the plague or ebola. I can't say if it's something really subjective or not. My guess here is that it's not a completely natural virus, nor it is something out of some conspiracy (even if it could be), but I think there is a "supernatural factor" to this. I could be wrong and it's again totally subjective, but I get this same "dark" energy each time I try to "see it". Is this a "display" of cosmic forces ? Is this a vicious attack on the rising Chinese power?

Moreover, the first headlines on http:// news. baidu. com/ (Chinese equivalent of google news) now is this : “疫情是魔鬼,我们不能让魔鬼藏匿。” which means "The epidemic is a demon/devil, and we cannot let this demon hide". Isn't that a strange formulation?

A lot of people on social media feeds keep saying this is a conspiracy to sell vaccines or create a false problem to divert attention. Or that the media exaggerate the problem. I'm not sure. How soon will vaccines be ready? French laboratories announce a minimum of 8 months. Of course, it's not the plague, and maybe it will die out by itself. But what if it's not the case ? How long the Chinese people can afford to stay confined as now in many big cities ? What if this disease spreads in western societies, or let's say, in India, Africa, etc ?

Even in France I'm wondering how they could do. Hospitals are already understaffed and in a worrying situation. How could they cope in the case of a large influx of critically ill patients ? And what would happen if they couldn't handle it ? Would people revolt against the government? The Chinese governement is quite liked by the people, but that's not at all the case in France. And about the "mass hysteria", I'm not sure. If you watch French TV, the main message is not to panic (while for Brexit, or for anti-Semitism, you had to panic), and most people who do not ask questions repeat that we should not panic, that everything is still under control.

I also wonder what will happen from an economic point of view. Personally, I work with Chinese suppliers and companies, they cannot deliver the products I need even after CNY. How would this impact the economy if it's not better in one month, two months ? All my Chinese friends are on forced vacation. Now they say until February 10th, but nobody really knows. And tourism will stop, who would be flying right now ? Now there are only 4 cases in France, but what if in two weeks there are hundreds, in this already very tense social situation ? I'm not afraid, but I have a lot of questions about what could happen.

edit : link correction

That's how it feels like.

From a health care provider point of view, we're tired of protocols for action in case of suspicion of Ebola and now coronavirus. I think most of the colleagues don't care. I personally print the protocol and file it away. I'm more overburdened with common daily tragedies such as preparing patients and their families to deal with their mundane health problems (cancer, end of life stage, etc), than with an exotic virus from who knows where. People are dealing with so much that I think they get relieved to get a few days off from work because they're sick with the flu.

Now, that doesn't mean it will not come or morph...

edit 2 :

"Now they say until February 10th, but nobody really knows. "
I made a mistake for the date. February 10th is only for some people I think, it could be wrong, because I was told that most people are going back to work February 3rd.

《国务院办公厅关于延长2020年春节假期的通知》发布,决定 延长2020年春节假期至2月2日(初九,星期日),2月3日起正常上班。

This aint the plague!

Couldn't agree more. Here in Singapore; where 10 cases have been reported (all tourists from Wuhan, and currently under isolation) with no local transmissions recorded - the reaction of people is of great anxiety and fear. There are no longer any facial masks and hand sanitizers that can be purchased from pharmacies, as people queue up in the mornings before they open and literally wipe out all the designated daily quota's within the first hour. In addition a lot of Chinese residents living in Singapore are purchasing the masks and sending them back to China. Parents are panicking and keeping their kids at home and companies are issuing travel bans China - and all sorts of rumors are spreading like wildfire on social media. I have never seen anything like this.

People I know, who were once emotionally stable, and competent people are behaving with great fear. It is really interesting and to me a real eye-opener on how crucial knowledge from the Forum and C's are. It seems without such a knowledge anchor, people are clutching at straws, and I guess its gets worse for them if they have kids and are thinking of protecting their families.

Je sais pas pourquoi mais je me sens sereine, j'observe, regarde et partage mais je me souviens que les Cassiopéens ont dit que la mort du corps n'était pas importante, ce qui compte c'est l'âme... Je fais de mon mieux et si je dois mourir, que cela advienne...

I don't know why but I feel serene, I observe, look and share but I remember that the Cassiopeans said that the death of the body was not important, what matters is the soul... I do my best and if I have to die, let it happen...

Back
Top Bottom