Darwin's Black Box - Michael J. Behe and Intelligent Design

Again, I refer to the bicycle example: just because you can remove the rubber tires off a bike and still ride it (although much less efficiently) doesn't mean that the whole bike concept wasn't conceived as a functional whole.

Yep, and that's a good example of how IC is NOT exactly defined and open to interpretation. Is a rubber tire indispensable for a bike? Yes, for the proper and full functioning of a bike. But it is not indispensable for limited or reduced or changed functionality. Take the handle bars and most of the frame away and use the wheels to dry clothes. No longer intelligently designed? Defining IC as only applying to things that cease to function at all, i.e. they are effectively destroyed, limits the argument for, and likely the truth about, ID.

As I've said already, Behe and Co. have to walk a very narrow path in that respect, because they are trying to gain as much acceptance as possible in a hostile mainstream scientific community - essentially among their enemies (a futile effort I'd say) - but we are not in that same position. We are free to explore the topic wherever it goes and use our own minds and intuition to take it further. If the results of those efforts only end up serving the members/readers of this forum, then so be it, but the information IS freely and publicly available to all.

MI, you are coming at this from the position of trying to formulate an article that is as 'solid' and convincing to the general public as possible, and in that respect you are in the same frame of mind as someone like Behe. That's fair enough, but understand that there will always be something of a gulf between what we discuss/theorize here and what we distill out for public consumption on Sott etc.

Some will go to great metaphysical extents to argue that it doesn't matter how unlikely it is that RM + NS produces evolution all the way to humans, because we can hypothesize that there's an infinite number of parallel universes, so all possibilities are realized somewhere at some point, and we just happen to live in the happy universe that happens to have intelligent life, which is us. That perspective opens so many questions and is so mind-blowing that is even more miraculous, magical and harder to believe than the simpler view that life was designed.
Behe was intimidated by the infinite multiverse theory, because he couldn't trust his reasoning in such a scenario. But it seems that reality is more mind blowing and miraculous and magical and harder to believe than the just life-was-designed fact. We've got two caps demonstrating merging timelines! We've got consciousness existing without material and material not existing without an observing consciousness.

For me, it's enough to know and say that humans were designed and darwinism is false. We're only in elementary school learning basic lessons.

What is the merit of something that is IC compared to something that is not?
Irreductible complexity invalidates Darwinism and paves the way to the paradigm of Intelligent Design. It is not all on itself but a tool along the way. The destination is Intelligent Design and beyond.
The merit is that irreducible complexity shows that life did not arise accidentally through random mutation and natural selection, ie darwinism.

Also, not everything was designed. There are results that arise from random mutation and natural selection, eg malaria and human interactions. It seems the designers are not omnipotent and they are running experiments.

Joe said:
"All systems are designed is not just a statement", it's the truth, and a self-evident one for anyone with any sense.

mandatory intellectomy said:
"That's the kind of dogmatism like "Evolution is true and nobody should question it". I'm rather perplexed here. I feel like somebody hacked your account. What am I missing here?"

Hacked? Something important is missing here.

The Real hacking:
It seems that evolutionists did this hacking to Jean Baptiste Lamarck (August 1, 1774-18 December 1829) and Herbert Spencer (April 27, 1820-8 December 1903) and then adapted their ideas to subsequent, controversial and unsustainable evolutionist ideas at this time:

Nature and origin of life.

"For Lamarck, life is a natural phenomenon consisting of a peculiar mode of organization of matter. In this sense, he considers that living organisms are formed by the same elements and the same physical forces that make up inanimate matter; the animal and vegetable kingdoms differ, therefore, only from the mineral kingdom by the internal organization mode of the same elements.

From his concept of life, Lamarck makes the mechanism of its origin root in spontaneous generation: the movement of matter provoked by the action of the forces of nature is able to spontaneously generate the simplest living organisms. From them, nature continues its tendency to the progressive increase of complexity as each organism is being replaced by others endowed with more organs and faculties. To explain the temporal coexistence of organisms of varying degrees of complexity, Lamarck postulates that nature is permanently producing new forms of life.

Transformism.

Lamarck posits two evolutionary forces whose combinatorial would have formed a branched phylogenetic tree: on the one hand, the intrinsic tendency of nature towards the increase of complexity would account for the ascending trunk that can be traced from the simplest organisms to the most complex; on the other hand, the accommodation of organisms to external circumstances and the inheritance of such adaptations would explain the deviations that branch off that regular gradation.

Lamarck's transformism is usually described taking into account only these last two basic laws, formulated in his zoological Philosophy and completed in the natural history of animals without vertebrae: The law of the use and disuse of organs and the law of the inheritance of the acquired characters. Thus, in a first phase, the movement of the internal fluids of the organism, unleashed by its behavior, would cause overdevelopment or atrophy of the organs (law of use and disuse of organs); in a second phase, such modifications would be transmitted to the descendants by budding (Law of inheritance of acquired characters).

Lamarck has often been characterized as a mystical Vitalist, defender of an organic will alien to physical causality and responsible for the transformation of species. However,in his last great work, and the context of his transformative theory, Lamarck defended a conventional view of mechanistic causality, and ridiculed any teleological interpretation. He maintained that the ends are false appearances that reflect the underlying causal need.

The inheritance of Lamarck ideas:

Lamarquista's idea of evolution influenced evolutionary thinking during much of the 19th century, but was displaced by the natural selection of Charles Darwin without ever losing a certain capacity for influence.(google translate from "Jean-Baptiste Lamarck". EcuRed)

I think we're getting hung up on semantics here and giving undue weight to the phrase "irreducible complexity".
Overall, probably. Remember, though, that I asked the question in the context of writing an article about mostly IC (while writing other articles about other things). I had a specific question about a specific thing. You're looking at it in a wider context, which is fine, but I defined a specific context for my question in the first post, and I was simply looking for an answer in that specific context. You're right that in the scope of things, IC isn't all that important.

What is the merit of something that is IC compared to something that is not?
Something that is not can plausibly be conceived to have developed by mutations. (And it's not like mutations don't do anything at all.) Something that is IC could not have developed by mutations. IC shows directly that a step-by-step evolution is impossible. Of course if you already know ID is true, then it doesn't really matter. It's relevant for people who don't know that.

Both terms point to the same thing. Intelligent design.
Irreducible Complexity points to Intelligent Design. Intelligent Design points to... itself?
One points to the other. You get the same result in the end, but there is a technical distinction. How important that distinction is depends on the context of any particular discussion. If we look at the big picture, it doesn't matter much. If we discuss specific details, it does.

My point is that things that are not IC are also intelligently designed, because there is no "random design" (the two words as a phrase are an oxymoron). So IC isn't that remarkable or noteworthy. Sure, it can be used to make the ID argument, but if that argument is accepted, there is no (rational) way to avoid accepting that everything is intelligently designed, including things that are not IC, which is used to allow for the darwinian idea of NS, which is nonsense, because again, there can be no "random design".
I agree. IC isn't that remarkable, and if the ID argument is accepted, it applies widely and not just to that one thing. Once there is a designer, there's no point in stretching RM+NS beyond belief.

Maybe you should consider the idea that the only people who would ever absorb anything useful from anything you write or say are those who already (in one way or another) either accept your premise (in broad terms) or are open to the idea. Those who are not, those who "believe in evolution" for example, are unlikely to ever believe anything else.
Yes, the people open to the idea are the point. I think that many people "believe in evolution" only because they were told it's true and never questioned it, but it's not the kind of "belief" of hardcore Darwinists. They may "believe" in it and still be open to other ideas. It's hard to say how many such people there are. It may be only a few. I'm certainly not expecting a wide audience suddenly "seeing the light". Maybe like 2-3 people? Fine with me.

The point being, IC should not be held up as the best evidence for ID. We need to go further.
I definitely agree with that!

As I've said already, Behe and Co. have to walk a very narrow path in that respect, because they are trying to gain as much acceptance as possible in a hostile mainstream scientific community - essentially among their enemies (a futile effort I'd say) - but we are not in that same position. We are free to explore the topic wherever it goes and use our own minds and intuition to take it further. If the results of those efforts only end up serving the members/readers of this forum, then so be it, but the information IS freely and publicly available to all.

MI, you are coming at this from the position of trying to formulate an article that is as 'solid' and convincing to the general public as possible, and in that respect you are in the same frame of mind as someone like Behe. That's fair enough, but understand that there will always be something of a gulf between what we discuss/theorize here and what we distill out for public consumption on Sott etc.
Yeah, you're right about all this, and I understand that. But like you said, many people, many approaches is the way to go. And I myself am taking different approaches in different articles. (Which nobody knows yet because only one is out so far.) So this was just about one focusing on good old IC, and it was for the other side of that gulf, the public one. I just asked a question I wanted help with, and things got kind of out of hand. T_T

As we are essentially discussing causation as regards evolutionary biology. This final chapter of Collingwood's 'Essays on Metaphysics' may be of interest.

EPILOGUE: WHAT is our present situation? The obscurantist movement mentioned in the preceding paragraph is not yet spent. Its hall-mark is the acceptance of the two incompatibles quoted from Kant as (a) and (b) at the beginning of the last chapter: that every event has a cause, and that the cause of an event is a previous event. I will give a few examples. Cook Wilson (Statement and Inference, 1926: a posthumous publication containing professorial lectures delivered in Oxford over many years from a chair occupied since 1889; vol. ii, pp. 516–17) promises that ‘causality will ultimately be found to mean that the events belonging to an object, or a system of objects, have a definite order, that is, therefore, a necessary order . . . we apprehend this necessity as belonging to the order of events’. An order here means a temporal order. Professor H. A. Prichard, in a book about Kant which does not by any means profess a slavish adherence to Kant’s doctrines (Kant’s Theory of Knowledge (1909), p. 300), nevertheless agrees with Kant that ‘it is of the very nature of a physical event to be an element in a process of change . . . this process being through and through necessary in the sense that any event . . . is the outcome of certain preceding events’. He differs from Kant only on the point which at the beginning of the last chapter I labelled (c). Where Kant says that the principle of causation is a matter of synthetic a priori knowledge, and where Cook Wilson says that we ‘apprehend’ it ‘much as we do the events, though we do not apprehend it in the way of experiencing it’ (loc. cit.), Prichard says that it is what Kant called analytic (‘to attain this insight, we have only to reflect upon what we really mean by a physical event’, loc. cit.) and observes that this is exactly the view which Kant rejects as ‘dogmatic’. It is the less surprising that certain other writers have doubted whether this self-contradictory principle is in reality a matter of knowledge at all. Mr. J. M. Keynes (A Treatise on Probability (1929), p. 263) is among these. ‘We believe’, says he, ‘that every object in time has a “necessary” connection with some set of objects at a previous time.’ But he mentions this belief with a conspicuous absence of fervour. He will not admit that we ‘know’ the Law of Causation, either on evidence, or as an analytic proposition, or as a ‘necessity’ which we ‘apprehend’. All he will admit is that ‘we believe’ it. Mr. John Wisdom (Problems of Mind and Matter (1934), pp. 110 seqq.) is another believer. He says that there is something called ‘the Law of Causation’, to the effect that ‘everything which happens is due to something else which caused it to happen’, or as he alternatively puts it, ‘due to something else which happened before’. He seems aware that Laodiceans like Mr. Keynes exist; but he shouts them down, exclaiming that we all know there is such a law, though he admits that it cannot be demonstrated or otherwise justified. But, he protests, demonstration is unnecessary. ‘I do not know how we know that things are as they are because they were as they were. But we do know it.’ According to Mr. A. J. Ayer (Language Truth and Logic (1936), p. 57) ‘we adopt’ the view ‘that every assertion of a particular causal connection involves the assertion of a causal law, and that every general proposition of the form “C causes E” is equivalent to a proposition of the form “whenever C, then E”, where the symbol “whenever” must be taken to refer, not to a finite number of actual instances of C, but to the infinite number of possible instances’. Here the one-one relation is plain; and his subsequent discussion makes it equally plain that C and E stand for events happening in that order. All these writers, it will be seen, attach themselves to some group or society of persons to whom they refer as ‘we’. I have ventured to italicize the word in my quotations. What is this group or society? It is the group or society of persons who accept the Kantian definition of the term ‘cause’. They are not, and do not include, contemporary natural scientists: for these, or at any rate those among them who are physicists, have abandoned the term. Nor do they include such philosophers as have, like Whitehead and Russell, understood and accepted the work which these physicists are doing. They are a group of neo-Kantians whose reverence for the master has induced them to accept not indeed all his doctrines but this particular doctrine. I say this because, the doctrine being a self-contradictory one, it can hardly have commended itself to them by its inherent reasonableness; nor can they have had for accepting it the same reason which I suppose Kant to have had, namely the fact that, self-contradictory or not, it was actually presupposed by contemporary physicists. It has somehow got itself fixed in their minds; presumably from their study of Kant. To quote the bitter words of Earl Russell: ‘The law of causality, I believe, like much that passes muster among philosophers, is a relic of a bygone age, surviving, like the monarchy, only because it is erroneously supposed to do no harm’ (op. cit., p. 180). The harm it does, or the harm of which it is symptomatic, is that they are a group of reactionary thinkers, wedded to the errors of the past, enemies of modern science, and obstructors of all progress whether in metaphysics or in science, natural or historical. The sciences, both natural and historical, are at present in a flourishing condition. By means of heroic efforts they have succeeded in disentangling themselves from the fallacies of method that vitiated much of their apparent progress in the nineteenth century. Their prospects of advance along the lines upon which they have now established themselves are incalculable. Internally, they have nothing to fear. The only dangers that now beset them are external. These external dangers reduce themselves on analysis to one: the irrationalist movement of which something was said in Chapter XIII. This movement may impede the advancement of science (and the advancement of science and the existence of science, I repeat, are not two things but one) in two different ways. Politically, by creating in the body politic a demand that scientific thinking should be put down by force. There are places where this is already happening. Academically, by creating in the specialized organs through which society endeavours to further science and learning a feeling of hostility to that furtherance. This feeling of hostility to science as such may be ‘rationalized’ through an obscurantist philosophy which by sophistical arguments pretends to prove that the advances which are actually being made are in fact no advances. Sophistical, because reactionary: based on the assumption that the superseded views are true, and thence proceeding to argue that the views which have superseded them must be false because they do not agree with the views they have superseded. The partisans of such an obscurantist philosophy are traitors to their academic calling. Within the body of persons ostensibly devoted to the advancement of science and learning they are working, unconsciously perhaps but still working, to obstruct that advancement and weaken the resistance with which that body is bound in honour to confront the onslaughts of irrationalism. I attribute no such conscious motives to the writers I have quoted. Fighting on the side of irrationalism they certainly are; but not, I will believe, from malice towards reason. What has led them blindly into the ranks of that army has been a misunderstanding as to the nature of the issues they have discussed. These issues are metaphysical. If so many philosophers have turned traitor to their calling, it is because they have failed to distinguish metaphysics from pseudo-metaphysics. The conversion of metaphysical questions into pseudo-metaphysical questions, as I explained in Chapter VIII, necessarily turns metaphysicians into anti-metaphysicians of the reactionary type. Since metaphysics is an indispensable condition of science an enemy to metaphysics is an enemy to science, and a reactionary anti-metaphysician is an enemy to whatever in science is progressive. Trying with a clumsy hand to put back the clock of scientific progress, he stops it. This is my reason for offering to the public what might seem essentially an academic essay, suitable only for readers who are already, like myself, committed to an interest in metaphysics. The fate of European science and European civilization is at stake. The gravity of the peril lies especially in the fact that so few recognize any peril to exist. When Rome was in danger, it was the cackling of the sacred geese that saved the Capitol. I am only a professorial goose, consecrated with a cap and gown and fed at a college table; but cackling is my job, and cackle I will.

Collingwood, R. G.. An Essay on Metaphysics . Read Books Ltd.. Kindle Edition.

Why would I write articles for people who already believe what I'm writing about?

Just wanted to expand on this a bit. The people that are on this forum and regular readers of Sott.net are, invariably, people who 'already believe', i.e. they are already open to (at least some of) the ideas we discuss. That of course does not mean that everyone is 'on the same page', (at the same level of understanding) but we are all reading from the same "book". However, that obviously does not mean that no discussion, teaching and learning takes place, learning through discussion and thinking is more or less the only thing that happens here, and most people are her for that very specific reason.

So in relation to your comment above MI, my point is that the fact that posts on the forum or articles on Sott will likely only be read by people who 'already believe' in NO WAY lessens the value of those contributions. In fact, helping each other to stay on track by contributing what each of us to the pool of knowledge is, IMO, THE most valuable use of our time and energy. Especially in these times, there are many people who "already believe" who are finding their belief to be wavering under all sorts of internal and external influences, and it is at times like these that energy and knowledge input from like-minded people can help to keep others on the path they have chosen.

To use an analogy, if you sent out a call for 'recruits' for some important task, and a group of people responded to that call and volunteered to help, where should most of your energy and effort go? Into them, to help them be the best they can be and succeed in the task, or into all the others who did not answer the call, and likely never will?

Writing articles for people who "already believe" is the most efficient and productive use of any efforts we make to spread truthful information.

Just wanted to expand on this a bit. The people that are on this forum and regular readers of Sott.net are, invariably, people who 'already believe', i.e. they are already open to (at least some of) the ideas we discuss. That of course does not mean that everyone is 'on the same page', (at the same level of understanding) but we are all reading from the same "book". However, that obviously does not mean that no discussion, teaching and learning takes place, learning through discussion and thinking is more or less the only thing that happens here, and most people are her for that very specific reason.

So in relation to your comment above MI, my point is that the fact that posts on the forum or articles on Sott will likely only be read by people who 'already believe' in NO WAY lessens the value of those contributions. In fact, helping each other to stay on track by contributing what each of us to the pool of knowledge is, IMO, THE most valuable use of our time and energy. Especially in these times, there are many people who "already believe" who are finding their belief to be wavering under all sorts of internal and external influences, and it is at times like these that energy and knowledge input from like-minded people can help to keep others on the path they have chosen.

To use an analogy, if you sent out a call for 'recruits' for some important task, and a group of people responded to that call and volunteered to help, where should most of your energy and effort go? Into them, to help them be the best they can be and succeed in the task, or into all the others who did not answer the call, and likely never will?

Writing articles for people who "already believe" is the most efficient and productive use of any efforts we make to spread truthful information.

Yep, the state of the world is so grim, and so few have even the slightest interest in questioning anything, it only make sense to devote our efforts towards helping those who have the potential and who are truly motivated to understand reality. And right now, it's about 5 minutes to midnight so quite possibly there isn't much time left and that time has to be used as productively as possible.

I was also thinking of it as the forum being the lighthouse in the growing darkness, and the necessity of keeping the purest, clearest truth signal that we can manage which can best be done by expanding our knowledge base, exactly as Joe says, through the efforts of like minded people and discussion right here on the forum. The truth signal we are sending out might have non linear effects that we can't begin to imagine.

OK, I was more focused on the hypothetical group in between, not too strongly inclined either way, but I guess you have a point. After all, you have a lot more experience with this.

I feel like Sott readership must be much larger than the membership here, though. Do you happen to have any numbers/stats for that? I can pretty much judge only by the comments, but it seems to me that on Sott there are a lot of people who are not quite 'on board'. Sometimes even to the point that I'm thinking "What the hell is this guy doing here at all?" But there are also all kinds of people who understand some issues quite well, but at the same time still believe that 9/11 was orchestrated from a cave in Afghanistan, for example. So there may be all kinds of views on any particular issue.

My impression was that the "middle group" might be relatively large. From what you're saying, it sounds like Sott readers are more in tune with Cassiopaea than I would think. My guess was that Sott readership would be several times larger than on this forum.

With what you're saying, what would you say about a hypothetical article that pretty much assumes the readers are familiar with the Cs' transcripts and goes into something really esoteric? Not that I have such plans right now, but I'm just wondering. You removed the part about hyperdimensional beings from my article, and I wonder if that was because it was 'too much' for the public or there was another reason.

I think you're tending to parrot the ideas and theories of those that you perceive to be authorities on the subject rather than use those theories to enable you to think for yourself. IC is, IMO, a term that is used by ID proponents to avoid saying "ID" outright but still make the case for ID. Scientists like Behe have to do that and watch what they say in navigating the neo-Darwinist wolves. WE do not and should not.

Perhaps giving other examples of the above can help.

One would be starting here: Session 23 March 2019 (there was some discussion and you backed down, but there were a few things actually unanswered, and at least from my POV, you seemed to just be quoting Behe, not thinking things through.)

Another one is this: Darwin's Black Box - Michael J. Behe and Intelligent Design

Let me try, not for the sake of arguing, but as an example of when you go into that "mode". I hesitate because even though it's a subject I know a bit better, I still have huge gaps, but I'll do my best:

One of the other questions that came up and which we discussed had to do with the nature of DNA as a language. Here's the gist: DNA is largely arbitrary, like any code. There's nothing intrinsic about the structure of DNA that codes for proteins. Perhaps theoretically it's possible to have a slightly differently composed DNA structure that could also code for proteins. But the thing about proteins themselves is that there doesn't seem to be anything arbitrary about them. Specific sequences of amino acids are required in order for the protein to fold into a particular shape. And only some of those folded shapes will perform any actual function in an organism.

First, if you search a bit, there are like five different theories about language being comparable to DNA. Each angle is different depending on how they divide the parts. And at least from what I've read so far, I think the analogy is weak, and that stems from the fact that SO much is still unknown about DNA, and about languages.

Second, scientific "authorities" and our limited observations would have us believe that DNA is largely arbitrary. But we don't really know that. "Arbitrary" and "random" are words often used when people can't explain something. It is used VERY often when referring to languages, yet, some authors like Abraham A. Abehsera make really good points about them NOT being arbitrary at all, but rather having visible rules whose mechanism is not well understood. So, what meets the eye is not all there is. Sometimes it can be a sign of Design too (e.g., even the mutation said to be "natural" by Behe and others could be part of a design, a calculated trade-off by the Designer. Think of people born with specific mutations -or changes via epigenetics-, and take into account their life paths, lessons, etc. We can't know for sure that their mutations don't serve any purpose.)

This is very similar to the structure of human-created languages. First, there is the element of arbitrariness: you can use any sounds or letters as the basis for your language.

That's what some linguists say. Yet, it's not so arbitrary when you look at a) the physiological limitations within which sounds are produced, and b) the similarities across languages that, were it all arbitrary, would never exist, c) the patterns across languages (and here you talked only about English, so it's very a very limited view).

But the meanings (functions) are necessarily linked to reality: the things of our experience, like objects, actions, thoughts, etc. And proteins are very much like words. For instance, take five-letter words. There are 26^5 possible combinations of letters to be made in English. But only a fraction of those are words, just like only a fraction of amino-acid sequences will form actual proteins.

OK, but many of those "non-words" are words in other languages, and follow rules outside the scope of individual languages.

And just like with proteins, the majority of 'mutations' to words will harm their function. But even then, they have a degree of redundancy. Take the five-letter word 'first'. Even if you change it to 'forst', you still might be able to grasp the meaning of 'first' if it's used in context. Maybe it's a foreign person trying to write it or say it. So if they say, "I want to do this forst, and that second", it's at least intelligible. Like a protein, it suffered a degradative mutation, but it still gets the job done, just not as well. Same goes for typos. You can usually recognize a typo as a typo and grasp the intended meaning. So the misspelled word still serves the correct function, just not as well as the word in its pure form.

Ok, but that is not so simple. There are different degrees of intelligibility. Words like "a" and "the", for example, can be omitted and easily patched up by the brain because they don't carry as much meaning as a noun, a personal pronoun, a verb, etc. (Some languages don't use them at all, even.) When you look at several languages at once, what looks like misspelled words in one language may be a whole chain of words in another.

Longer words have even more redundancy (keep in mind that proteins can be hundreds or even thousands of 'letters' long). Take the word "antiestablishmentarianism". Make a single point mutation, and just like first/forst, the word is still readable: "antiestablushmentarianism". But change just 4 letters and it becomes practically unreadable: "untixstablisymentariacism." Same goes for genes: most point mutations are neutral or damaging, and multiple point mutations make the protein completely worthless.

But what about beneficial mutations? Words have them too. Change the final letter from 'm' to 't' and you have a new word with a new function: antiestablishmentarianist. Such mutations follow certain grammatical rules, in this case having to do with word endings, or suffixes. Just as in proteins, they won't work just anywhere - only in specific places.

I don't think that's an improvement (beneficial mutation), but a neutral change within the same semantic field. The first word is not better than the second or vice-versa. They are many changes within what some would call the paradigm and the syntagm. You are talking here about a morphological change, not an addition, therefore not a "beneficial mutation".

You can visualize this 'possibility space' (the collection of all possible sequences) as a big circle. Within this circle is a small circle of only those possibilities that can perform a function (even if they can't do it very well, like 'forst'). And within that circle you will have points representing the 'purest' forms of words (or proteins). In the case of 'antiestablishmentarianism', there may only be 2 fully functional words represented as 2 points. (You could also represent this as mountain peaks on a graph, like Doug Axe does in his book Undeniable - the mountains represent the family of related words/proteins, and the peaks represent the most functional individual words/proteins within the family.)

You lost me at this analogy, and that's not quite how Axe describes the phenomenon, IMO.

Random mutation can move a word from its pure form to various possible degraded forms easily. That's what Behe shows for proteins in his new book. But it's also possible (just not as likely) to move to a new word with a new function randomly - as long as the word is in the same 'family', as in the case of the '-ism' to '-ist' above. The problem is that it's impossible to wander from one family to another randomly. You can't degrade 'antiestablishmentarianism' letter by letter until you get 'psychophysicotherapeutics'.

You seem to be conflating terms: First, you cannot know that it's "random" in the case of biology (and I'd argue that it's not that random either where languages are concerned, but that it may have to do with what the "antenna" picks up from the information field.). Second, 'antiestablishmentarianism' and 'psychophysicotherapeutics' are technically in the same family: they are both nouns. The transformations into different families you are speaking of aren't visible in language except when it's obvious (like "happy" -adjective-, happily-adverb- and happiness-noun). But they exist, and I think they do by Design/antenna receptivity. Again, Abraham A. Abhesera did a great job in finding the missing links. Certain sound combinations are universal when it comes to representing the same or similar concepts, the "collective unconscious". It's a "mystery" (linguists would say it's arbitrary!), but some rules can be seen if you step away from one particular author or a few.

One way to visualize this is to imagine these words and their variations as two small circles, like we did above, with each point representing a version of the word that is one letter different than the one next to it. Now imagine these circles with are randomly placed on a very large globe the size of the earth. What are the chances of randomly wandering from one circle to the other? It's impossible for all intents and purposes. (The sizes and distances are just a guess - I didn't do the calculations necessary, but it gets across the idea - Axe actually did the calculations for a related example in his book, so read that for a mathematically correct example!)

I kept waiting to see something in Axe's book that made your statement make more sense in this context, and I didn't find it. :huh: He talks about it to explain the importance of repetition and intent. I don't see how it connects to what you are saying.

A better point of comparison would be the way Axe explained Chinese ideograms. Except that their complexity is nothing compared to living organisms.

The problem with that Darwinists is that they assume that it MUST be possible to get from 'antiestablishmentarianism' to 'psychophysicotherapeutics', and to all other words. But that would only be possible if the majority of protein sequences (unlike words) were functional. They have to assume that there are way more functional proteins than there actually are, as if you could just change 3 letters in a large word and get a new word. Change a different 2 letters and you get a completely different word, etc. But that's not the way it works. Functional protein sequences are RARE, just like words are.

If you know several languages, you can see that practically any 3 letter combination CAN be "functional", depending on the system and how you look at them. And there seems to be a universal thread tying them together. Just because they aren't part of English, for example, it doesn't mean they are garbage. The same applies to all that hasn't been discovered by science yet. And even in "garbage", a lot can be discovered about the universal rules of what for some reason or another, isn't "allowed" in the code.

Anyways, that discussion led to the observation that the 'language' of proteins seems to be somehow intrinsic in nature. Because of the nature of the molecules that make up the proteins, there are certain possibilities for form and function which we observe as life-forms: body plans of various types, different kinds of tissues, organs, cells, etc. Whatever intelligence 'created' DNA, they did not create those possibilities - they merely utilized or discovered them. The possibilities were already inherent in the properties of the elements. But here's another kicker: they can only be expressed or actualized through the use of an arbitrary code like DNA! What does THAT imply about the nature of the universe?! We have to wrestle not only with the question of who created the DNA language, but also with the question of who created the protein language.

See above. I don't think this is logical. Maybe (just maybe!) DNA is not be that arbitrary, but rather like an overruling "universal language", and protein language is like each individual language?

But it goes somewhat deeper. Intelligent Design people also talk about the fine tuning of the cosmos, and how it gives the appearance of design - various physical constants that must be their precise values, in combination with other precise values, otherwise the universe basically falls apart. Well, the periodic table of elements must also be 'fine tuned' to some degree, in order to make amino acids and their combination into proteins possible. It's not just a given that any variation on the periodic table will be able to produce specific macromolecules with higher functions. Basically, it appears as if from the very bottom up, the universe is designed for the possibility of life. But between the level of inorganic matter and organic matter, there must be an infusion of information and intelligence to bridge the gap. From the perspective of chemistry left to its own devices, life is possible. But intelligence is a necessary condition to actually bring it about.

Yes, but this contradicts your "arbitrariness". Any design includes having a PURPOSE, designing a system of rules, syntax, etc., leaving room for the language to be "alive" (create neologisms, changes of meaning in context - pragmatics- clauses within clauses, different expressions of time and space within the boundaries of our reality, etc.) New letters aren't added because of certain limitations, yet, there are actually MANY different ways of pronouncing the letter "t", "d", "s", "l", etc. New grammar rules aren't created, but some are corrupted or adapted due to the way people start using them, or because of untraceable reasons. The whole system is alive and way more complex than anyone has even been able to explain. Freedom within a structure.

I suspect that if there is an actual parallel to draw between DNA and languages, is that languages were also part of the Intelligent Design, and don't have much to do with "evolution" as understood by darwinists. There are simply too many parallels and complex structures that to me say they have more to do with how human are wired to interact with the information field (and how they are designed), than anything they would be able to create. In fact, they tried (e.g. Esperanto), and the result is nothing like a living language. They do it with computer languages, and again, it's not quite like human languages. So, that says that humans haven't really gone from making simple animal sounds to being able to making sentences like the ones you are I can utter.

Anyway, maybe this is not the best example, but it's the best one that came to mind as a warning against letting oneself be too easily convinced by authorities, and being under the illusion that one is close to having "the last word on the matter". Not knowing several linguistic structures, you are missing a big part of the puzzle. Imagine what we don't know on top of that! Science is barely starting to understand the alphabet, but they claim they can recite poetry. False. We have to keep in mind our (the Cs) cosmogony, at least in theory, and be open-minded about what we learn. It's also okay to let your imagination fly, but you have to be careful that it doesn't turn into a futile intellectual gymnastics where you are merely quoting or missquoting some authority to feel some sense of order instead of accepting how little we still know.

A big FWIW.

I feel like Sott readership must be much larger than the membership here, though. Do you happen to have any numbers/stats for that? I can pretty much judge only by the comments, but it seems to me that on Sott there are a lot of people who are not quite 'on board'. Sometimes even to the point that I'm thinking "What the hell is this guy doing here at all?" But there are also all kinds of people who understand some issues quite well, but at the same time still believe that 9/11 was orchestrated from a cave in Afghanistan, for example. So there may be all kinds of views on any particular issue.

There are more readers of Sott than this forum, but the readers of Sott who are not just perusing are likely also on this forum. Those are the ones who are 'open' to the concepts we discuss.
My impression was that the "middle group" might be relatively large. From what you're saying, it sounds like Sott readers are more in tune with Cassiopaea than I would think. My guess was that Sott readership would be several times larger than on this forum.

See above, and that group is already 'open' to alternative ideas, so it's not necessary to be so 'scientific' to reach them.
With what you're saying, what would you say about a hypothetical article that pretty much assumes the readers are familiar with the Cs' transcripts and goes into something really esoteric? Not that I have such plans right now, but I'm just wondering. You removed the part about hyperdimensional beings from my article, and I wonder if that was because it was 'too much' for the public or there was another reason.

Adding in hyperdimensional beings is a step too far for that 'middle' group I'd say, and unnecessary, but at the same time you don't have to stick to hard science.

I'm glad you bring this up, Joe! because most of the time we are not aware that we are contributing, even if it's in a little amount, and this is, I think, the main reason many people (like me sometimes) don't post much here in the forum.
Also, to help each other to stay on track, we need to repeat, repeat and repeat, osit

PS: I'm sorry if this comment has anything to do with this thread.

Dear Joe and Intellectomy, my vision compared to your erudition is a bit like a child's, but I think you're both right.

Only the "seekers of truth" will resound in these issues, but also some "lost soul" can find the "trigger" that will "start" the long way of the seeker.

Intellectomy, in your article, maybe someone suddenly said: "Oh, this guy is right!".

The small possibility that it happens, already validates your work.:-)

Guys, I have been searching and watching DNA and ID related videos and sharing a couple below. Apologies if they have been shared somewhere else before.
Below video is fairly short one and quickly proves why DNA is a product of ID and how theory of evolution falls flat in the face of a simple fact where the number of chromosomes in less developed mammals is greater than humans.

Below is a documentary on Behe and the court case from years 2004-05 , “Kitzmiller vs Dover Area School District”where the judge ruled against ID despite Behe’s compelling testimony. Its worth a watch.

If you know several languages, you can see that practically any 3 letter combination CAN be "functional"
dxk, tvh, nwq, pkt, kxz, tbg, bdk, hpg, sxz, gxw, wxt, rhv, tgc, pvb, lkd, kjz, tvf, jtg, hgf, gbv, fvt, dbx, skg, zvb, xsv, cvb, vfg, bgh, nmv, mhf, rbt......
Not mentioning ggg, ddd, qqq, wwz, kkd, ppd, and so on.

Maybe you're underestrimating the amount of all possible combinations. I would say that actually most 3-letter combinations of consonants are pretty 'nonfunctional', and consonants are ~20 of the main 26 letters. Even when you're looking at all languages, it's already massively filtered down to eliminate a huge number of unpronounceable groups. I actually once wrote a script to create 'words' randomly. What I discovered quickly was that ~80% of the words were unpronounceable, so I had to code many rules that would avoid/replace the useless sequences.
Proteins are orders of magnitude more specific than words, so it's actually much worse for them.

Anyway, that was just a side note, as this wasn't really the point.

I wanted to say something about arbitrariness, just to clarify some things, maybe.

To say something like 'DNA is arbitrary' is so vague it's pretty much meaningless. What exactly about the DNA is arbitrary? The choice of deoxyribose? The phosphate group? The specific nucleic acids used? The bonds between A-T and C-G? The sequence of the nucleotides? Some of them may be arbitrary and some may not, and we would still need to define in what way any of those things are arbitrary. So talking about whether something is arbitrary or not would require a rather specific definition of what exactly we mean in the first place.

Some arbitrariness is actually required. Chu talked about languages being 'alive'. That demands some arbitrariness. Otherwise there would only be a fixed set of things you can do with a language, and it couldn't evolve, or 'be alive'. Arbitrariness is required for producing variability. There are some limitations for languages, as Chu listed, and those are real, and not everything about a language is arbitrary. But if you take useful syllables like MA, KA, & TA, you can arbitrarily order them as MAKATA, TAKAMA, KATAMA, and so on, and assign arbitrary meanings to them. There have to be some rules to make things work, and there has to be some random aspect if you want the system to be 'alive'.

What's arbitrary about the DNA is the sequence of the nucleotides, GCTCGATGCACTG..., like the computer code of 1010011010010, in the sense that you can make any sequences with equal ease. Nothing predetermines what will follow after 'ATG'. So rather than DNA 'being arbitrary', I would say it has arbitrary aspects, and this particular one is actually necessary to produce variation. If A always had to follow G and C had to follow T, and so on, it couldn't produce much of anything. There would be a very limited set of fixed results. That, I think, is the arbitrariness AI was talking about.

When things aren't clearly defined, I think different people read them in different ways. I've been able to follow AI's arguments quite well, maybe because we have a similar way of thinking or because we've studied the details of DNA and proteins etc. more than some others. Some people are more inclined to delve into technical details, and some are not. Different wavelengths, so to speak? I think this then leads to different interpretations of the same statement and to a certain amount of misunderstanding between differently inclined people. It reminds me of the debate between Peterson and Harris. They agreed on most things, but even after hours, they just couldn't quite get to the crux of some issues, because each of them was looking at them from a different point of view and was more focused on different aspects of the problem. It's hard to tell whether anyone's 'wrong' in such situations.

I don't feel like AI is parroting authorities. My impression is that his arguments were logical and maybe he's just too fascinated with the details of microbiology, which others may not care about so much. I can appreciate that because those things fascinate me too. And there's nothing wrong with quoting 'authorities'. When I quote something from a book, it's usually because I feel that the author said it so well that I couldn't do it any better, so I use the quote. In fact, that's why I save quotes - because they express my own point so well.

Anyway, that's just my two cents on some issues, possibly somewhat off topic.

@Joe:
Thanks for the clarifications. I may have misjudged the audience. As for not having to 'stick to hard science', I guess you're right. But for me, it's not so much about 'having to'; it just comes naturally for me. I suppose it may be too much or unnecessary for some people, but I'm kind of wired that way, so maybe it's one of those 'different people, different approaches' things. I do have one fun and non-scientific article prepared, though!

Below is a documentary on Behe and the court case from years 2004-05 , “Kitzmiller vs Dover Area School District”where the judge ruled against ID despite Behe’s compelling testimony. Its worth a watch.
I like the bit at 26:20 talking about the "type III secretion needle complex" appearing to be, in fact, devolved as an off-shoot component of the irreducibly-complex flagellum. This suggests simpler more "primitive" designs are actually reduced *FROM* already existing established designs of Irreducible Complexity.

Back
Top Bottom