Dental Health

Wisdom teeth. To pull or not to pull. That is a question...

Deckard said:
You mignt be right, but you also might not be. There simply isnt enough evidence to support either statment.
In the mean time I am happier not to think about it. Thats all I meant.
Got it.
One of the things I AM certain of is that the human body can undergo tremendous amounts of punishtment and still function well. From hardcore Russian acrobats to aging Irish Barfly's, I've seen humans grin through all sorts of nasty abuse. So yes, if it's not important to you, and you are functioning well, then don't worry about it.

Vibrating Teeth

Don't know if anyone else has this problem. My teeth are just crumbling, it's like they are vibrating. This time it has been doing this for about three days. In the past year it has happened several times, but this has been the longest. It is very uncomfortable. I live in N.C.

Vibrating Teeth

Anita said:
Don't know if anyone else has this problem. My teeth are just crumbling, it's like they are vibrating. This time it has been doing this for about three days. In the past year it has happened several times, but this has been the longest. It is very uncomfortable. I live in N.C.
have you told this to your doctor or dentist? maybe they could help you with this problem.

Vibrating Teeth

Hi Anita,

When was the last time you had Xrays of your teeth, and what did the dentist say about the roots? Reason for asking is that my own issue is with teeth is that the roots grow into the sinus cavities on the uppers and enmesh with facial nerves in the bottom jaw bone.

So when high or low pressure causes, or exacerbates a sinus issue, then my teeth hurt too. It would stand to reason that anything that causes an empty cavity (sinus) to vibrate, would affect teeth with roots that extend up that far.

As for the crumbling, it could be anything really.

Peg

Vibrating Teeth

it could be that you are grinding your teeth in your sleep, without being aware of it. I know that sounds weird, but my friend had the exact same thing - his dentist gave him this plastic tooth-shield thing that he wore at night for a while until the condition passed, so that his teeth wouldn't get worn down any more.

Vibrating Teeth

sleepyvinny said:
it could be that you are grinding your teeth in your sleep, without being aware of it. I know that sounds weird, but my friend had the exact same thing - his dentist gave him this plastic tooth-shield thing that he wore at night for a while until the condition passed, so that his teeth wouldn't get worn down any more.
I have the same plastic tooth thingy. It doesn't go away completely (at least not in my case) but return during periods of stress and cause headaches and poor sleep in general. After such night of teeth "workout" my teeth were also "vibrating" after I was loosening the jaw.

Vibrating Teeth

I have the same plastic mouthpiece called a night guard. I have had it four years and haven't stopped using it. It definitely took the vibrating sensations away. Headaches and sinus pain are gone too.
My dentist explained that you grind the hard plastic instead of your teeth and it alleviates pressure to the teeth caused by clenching too. Highly recommended. I couldn't sleep without it.

Vibrating Teeth

Anita said:
My teeth are just crumbling, it's like they are vibrating.
Recently i found out that a lot of tension in my body gets stored behind the ears where the jaw connects. My massage therapist asked me if my teeth "vibrate" when i sleep sometimes. Not of what i know, but since then i have been aware to relax my jaw, and noticed that other people "tense" their jaws when under stress. So it might be stress related. But better check with a dentist first.

Vibrating Teeth

I do not know if this is true, but according to some "village" beliefs, grinding teeth during sleep might be a sign of parasites in the body.

I recently wrote a research report for a pre-dental seminar, and I thought I'd share my findings on the forum as they relate to an ongoing discussion about water fluoridation and the health dangers of systemic fluoride. I tried my best to keep it unbiased and focused mainly on evidence gathered from the latest scientific literature as I could find it on PubMed and other databases. It's not the best written paper (it was for school), but this synthesis of the available data regarding enamel and dentin fluorosis may prove useful.

An Emerging Public Health Issue: Prevalence and Dangers of Dental Fluorosis

Since 1945, fluoride has been artificially added to water systems in communities across the United States as a public health measure for the control of dental caries, which is a common disease in children “caused by bacteria that colonize on tooth surfaces, where they ferment sugars and other carbohydrates, generating lactic acid and other acids that decay tooth enamel and form a cavity” [1]. A cavity that breaks into the dentin of the tooth can cause infection of the dental pulp and lead to such debilitating oral health issues as toothaches, abscess, destruction of bone, and eventually systemic infection [1]. Since 1950, the American Dental Association (ADA) along with the United States Public Health Service (USPHS) has “unreservedly endorsed the fluoridation of community water supplies as safe, effective, and necessary in preventing tooth decay” [2]. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) has recognized “the fluoridation of drinking water to prevent dental decay as one of 10 great public health achievements of the 20th century” [2]. Despite such widespread support from most governmental and professional associations in the U.S., the practice of water fluoridation has been a subject of controversy since it began.

On August 9, 2007, over 600 health professionals joined with the Fluoride Action Network (FAN) to release a “Professionals’ Statement Calling for an End to Water Fluoridation” in the United States [3]. As of May 20, 2008, the number of signatures has grown to 1718, including 246 PhD’s, 226 dentists, and 216 medical doctors. The Statement calls for “a new Congressional Hearing on Fluoridation so that those in government agencies who continue to support the procedure be compelled to provide the scientific basis for their ongoing promotion of fluoridation” [3]. Why are these professionals going against the opinion of the ADA, the CDC, the USPHS, and many other governmental agencies and professional associations that promote public water fluoridation as a safe procedure to fight dental decay?

This question is what attracted me to explore this topic in the first place. I realized quickly, however, that the answer to this question is more complex than I would have liked. In fact, going through all of the points of what has been called “The Fluoridation Debate” would take an enormous effort, particularly because this topic is not only highly controversial but of great importance to the oral and general health of millions of people in the United States who drink fluoridated water on a daily basis. Also, to give this issue an unbiased and critical analysis would take months, if not years, of thorough research of all the literature available on the topic. A debate of this magnitude requires a thorough investigation by unbiased experts in the various scientific disciplines involved to resolve.

Unfortunately, the Fluoridation Debate has extended past the halls of academia where it could have been resolved in an objective manner a long time ago and into the halls of politics and even corporations. The issue of water fluoridation has become so crusted over on both sides of the debate with special interests, pseudo-science, profiteering, and dogmatic arguments that to hammer through it all so as to come to the foundation of the debate would be quite a feat; to venture into this dangerous land with an open mind is akin to opening the proverbial can of worms. What is so tragic about this is that most people involved in the Fluoridation Debate at various levels really do have the best of intentions in mind for following their particular course of action; they truly believe that their position is the right and moral one. One thing is clear: there is quite a bit of ignorance, unprofessionalism, and misinformation present on both sides of this debate, and, sadly, it is usually this noise that reaches the public ear first through the media.

After realizing all of the above, I decided that the best way to extract the real essence of the water fluoridation issue is to deal with it in parts. Taking one of the issues and analyzing it thoroughly so as to come to a good understanding of its objective significance is much better, in my opinion, than superficially glossing over the whole of such a large topic; this is particularly true in this case, where the Fluoridation Debate is so extensive and its superficial layer so often misleading.

I have chosen dental fluorosis as the main topic of this research paper for several reasons. First, of the eight recent events that the aforementioned Professionals’ Statement mentions to affirm a sense of urgency to calling for an end to water fluoridation, two deal with the detrimental effects of dental fluorosis [3]. Secondly, of the many issues being discussed in the Fluoridation Debate overall, dental fluorosis appears to have the most scientific studies done to date. Thirdly, there is no question that dental fluorosis occurs as a consequence of systemic fluoride, so the large and confusing part of the debate that questions whether this or that health issue relates to fluoride intake does not apply to this topic. And finally, dental fluorosis is for the most part an oral health phenomenon; since I am to start dental school soon and will be on my way to becoming a dental and oral health professional, knowing more about this emerging issue is beneficial towards my education and future career.

So, what exactly is dental fluorosis? Dental fluorosis can come in interrelated two forms: enamel and dentin fluorosis. I’ll focus first on enamel and then move on to dentin fluorosis later on in the paper.

Enamel is the hardest and outer-most layer of the tooth; it is calcified tissue that covers the dentin, which covers the soft and sensitive pulp. Enamel is formed by matrix-mediated biomineralization, where “crystallites of hydroxyapatite form a complex protein matrix that serves as a nucleation site” and which is mainly occupied by proteins (synthesized by secretory ameloblasts) called amelogenins [1]. Amelogenins function in a structural way by “establishing and maintaining the spacing between enamel crystallites,” and complete mineralization of enamel occurs only when amelogenin fragments are removed from the extracellular space [1]. The maintenance of a specific arrangement of enamel crystallites during enamel formation is crucial to the eventual structural integrity of the tooth.

Systemic fluoride at high enough concentrations present during enamel formation can have detrimental effects to this process; fluoride is thought to inhibit the function of matrix proteinases that are responsible for removing amelogenin fragments, “resulting in widening gaps in its crystalline structure, excessive retention of enamel proteins, and increased porosity” [1]. Systemic fluoride present during enamel biomineralization has high affinity for developing enamel because hydroxyapatite crystals can bind fluoride into their crystal lattice [1].

Mild forms of enamel fluorosis are clinically classified to be identifiable by “white horizontal striations on the tooth surface or opaque patches, usually located on the incisal edges of anterior teeth or cusp tips of posterior teeth” [1]. This visible discoloration is caused by improper mineralization of sub-surface enamel that is often covered by a well-mineralized and mostly smooth outer enamel surface. In moderate to severe enamel fluorosis, enamel porosity is more widespread and “lesions can extend toward the inner enamel” [1]. With inner enamel so porous, the tooth becomes structurally unsound and the healthy but thin outer surface of enamel may chip off during tooth eruption, thus exposing the rugged landscape of the mottled inner tooth. Here, debris can be easily trapped and bacteria can fester, thus making the afflicted patient more susceptible to infection [1]. Furthermore, pitting and gaps in the outer enamel surface makes the inner porous enamel regions of the tooth more susceptible to yellow staining and dark (brown to black) discoloration.

One of the first developed standard indexes for classifying the extent of clinical enamel fluorosis is called the Dean’s index; it is the most widely used measure in research literature [1]. The following table reproduces the Dean’s index and ought to make enamel fluorosis more discernable to the reader:
Diagnosis Criteria
Normal (0) The enamel represents the usually translucent semivitriform type of structure. The surface is smooth, glossy,
and usually a pale creamy white color.
Questionable (0.5) The enamel discloses slight aberrations from the translucency of normal enamel, ranging from a few white
flecks to occasional white spots. This classification is utilized when a definite diagnosis of the mildest form of
fluorosis is not warranted and a classification of “normal” is not justified.
Very mild (1) Small, opaque, paper white area scattered irregularly over the tooth but not involving as much as
approximately 25% of the tooth surface. Frequently included in this classification are teeth showing no more
than 1 to 2 mm of white opacity at the tip of the summit of the cusps of the bicuspids or second molars.
Mild (2) The white opaque areas in the enamel of the teeth are more extensive but do not involve as much as 50%
of the tooth.
Moderate (3) All enamel surfaces of the teeth are affected, and surfaces subject to attrition show marked wear. Brown
stain is frequently a disfiguring feature.
Severe (4) All enamel surfaces are affected and hypoplasia is so marked that the general form of the tooth may be
altered. The major diagnostic sign of this classification is the discrete or confluent pitting. Brown stains are
widespread and teeth often present a corroded appearance.
Source: [4]

Moderate to severe enamel fluorosis can be very detrimental to the oral and general well-being of afflicted people. However, most reports on enamel fluorosis by various agencies like the ADA published before 2006 didn’t consider enamel fluorosis in any of its stages to have adverse effects on health; they only considered it to be an “aesthetically displeasing” phenomenon [1]. The National Research Council of the National Academies (NRC) committee responsible for the compilation of the 2006 report entitled “Fluoride in Drinking Water: A Scientific Review of EPA's Standards” was one of the first to reverse this trend by stating the following as part of its findings:
One of the functions of tooth enamel is to protect the dentin and, ultimately, the pulp from decay and infection. Severe enamel fluorosis compromises this health-protective function by causing structural damage to the tooth. The damage to teeth caused by severe enamel fluorosis is a toxic effect that the majority of the committee judged to be consistent with prevailing risk assessment definitions of adverse health effects. This view is consistent with the clinical practice of filling enamel pits in patients with severe enamel fluorosis and restoring the affected teeth. [1]
The majority of the committee felt that there was ample scientific evidence that links moderate to severe enamel fluorosis to oral health defects. I wish to explore some of these links, particularly those that suggest that mottled teeth are more susceptible to dental caries.

Topical fluoride, i.e. that which is placed on the tooth as during brushing with fluoridated toothpaste, continues to prove itself as an excellent anti-caries agent, both in kids and adults [5]; a recent extensive literature review concluded: “The benefits of topical fluorides have been firmly established on a sizeable body of evidence from randomized controlled trials” [6]. The same cannot be said about the effectiveness of systemic fluoride, i.e. that which is ingested as when drinking fluoridated water. There is some evidence that mild to moderate enamel fluorosis makes the enamel more resistant to dental caries; this initial finding was actually the origin of the discovery by scientists in the early-to-mid 20th Century of fluoride’s positive contribution to decreasing dental decay, and it continues to be the basis of the main argument by which proponents of water fluoridation make their case [2].

However, a UK government sponsored “Systematic review of water fluoridation” (the first of its kind in terms of its extensive review of the available literature on the topic) published in 2000 couldn’t find a single study in its search of all scientific databases that fit the criteria of “evidence level A (high quality, bias unlikely)” in support of the benefits of systemic fluoride and water fluoridation [7]. The study concluded: “The evidence of a beneficial reduction in caries should be considered together with the increased prevalence of dental fluorosis” [7]. Nevertheless, the status quo at this point in most of academia is that systemic fluoride may reduce the risk of dental caries in enamel. Ironically, however, new research is beginning to uncover that systemic fluoride may have the opposite effect on dentin – that is, dentin fluorosis makes one more susceptible to dental caries and other oral health defects like tooth fracture.

Dentin is a “collagen-based mineralized tissue underlying tooth enamel” that separates the enamel from the vascular pulp [1]. It has been thoroughly established by various studies that dentin, like bone, is less resistant to fracture and is more likely to crack with age because of hypermineralization; however, unlike bone, dentin doesn’t undergo turnover [1]. Recent studies suggest that the presence of fluoride may result in fluorine-rich crystals that may “alter the mechanical properties of dentin” and make it more susceptible to fracture [1]. Writes the NRC in the aforementioned report:
Enamel fluorosis, which accompanies elevated intakes of fluoride during periods of tooth development, results not only in enamel changes but also in dentin changes. It has now been well established that fluoride is elevated in fluorotic dentin. Some preliminary studies show that fluoride in dentin can even exceed concentrations in bone and enamel. [1]
As recent studies show, systemic fluoride may not only make dentin more susceptible to fracture but to dental caries, as well.

A 2005 population study of the correlation between dental fluorosis and caries concluded that “severe dental fluorosis was associated with increased caries prevalence” [8]. One of the reasons for this emerging trend may be dentin fluorosis. One study on the effects of fluorosis on dentin concluded:
The hypermineralization response of the dentin in our samples suggests that the mechanism of the response should be taken into account in dental caries and other dental disorders associated with severe fluorosis. [9]
Dentin fluorosis has been found to distort the intertubular collagen network in dentin, thereby causing detrimental hypermineralization of the dentin followed by higher susceptibility to acid degradation [10]. A recent study reports:
In moderately fluorosed dentine, the peritubular dentine appeared to be dissolved forming irregular dentinal tubular orifices. The intertubular dentine had chipped off regions forming some depressed areas. This may be a result of change in the acid penetration routes due to changed morphology of the moderately fluorosed dentine in a much vigorous manner than the mild fluorosed dentine. [10]
The study concluded that “mild and moderately fluorosed human dentine was significantly caries susceptible in vitro” [10].

Given the emerging evidence of the negative aspects of dental fluorosis, of both the enamel and dentin kind, as just discussed, it would be helpful to know just how prevalent this condition is presently. Numerous studies have been performed in recent years and they all confirm the conclusion that dental fluorosis has been rising at a dangerous rate amongst all populations. An extensive 2005 study by the CDC concluded:
Between 1999 and 2004, approximately 41% of adolescents aged 12 to 15 and 36% aged 16 to 19 years had enamel fluorosis. Moderate and severe fluorosis was observed in less than 4% in both age groups. […] A nine percentage point increase in the prevalence of very mild or greater fluorosis was observed among children and adolescents aged 6-19 years when data from 1999-2002 were compared with those from the NIDR 1986-1987 survey of school children (from 22.8% in 1986-1987 to 32% in 1999-2002). [11]
A 2004 study suggests that “the prevalence of fluorosis in permanent teeth in areas with fluoridated water has increased from about 10-15% in the 1940s to as high as 70% in recent studies” [12]. A 1999 Canadian study concluded the following:
Current studies support the view that dental fluorosis has increased in both fluoridated and non-fluoridated communities. North American studies suggest rates of 20 to 75% in the former and 12 to 45% in the latter. [13]
Finally, an extensive 2005 study concluded: “This systematic review concurs with recent reports of an increase in fluorosis prevalence in fluoridated and non-fluoridated communities” [14]. These and other similar studies [15, 16] show a dangerous trend of increasing rates of dental fluorosis in the United States and Canada in all communities. It’s important to note that while moderate to severe dental fluorosis usually occurs with water fluoride levels above those established by the ADA to be optimal for caries prevention (0.8-1.2 ppm), dental fluorosis rates for all types of fluorosis are increasing rapidly in both fluoridated and non-fluoridated areas.

It’s possible that these statistics and other recent studies that suggest that infants are most susceptible to the detrimental effects of systemic fluoride [17] caused the ADA to issue its November 2006 advisory on the dangers of feeding infants with formula mixed with fluoridated water because of the risks of the infant developing dental fluorosis in later life [18]. As more scientific proof emerges about the negative health effects of dental fluorosis, I hope that the ADA will make similar recommendations to the general public so that we can be better informed of the risks associated with fluoride consumption.

In conclusion, it should be clear that there may be a serious problem emerging with the high prevalence of dental fluorosis in the United States. It’s obvious that this trend is propagated by the widespread practice of public water fluoridation in many communities across the country. Recent research is increasingly giving evidence to the detrimental effects of both enamel and dentin fluorosis on oral health. All of this taken together points to a dangerous trend and an emerging public health issue, and it will be up to the dental professionals of the future to address this potentially serious problem with an open mind.

References:
1. “Fluoride in Drinking Water: A Scientific Review of EPA's Standards” (2006). Board on Environmental Studies and Toxicology (BEST), Division on Earth and Life Studies. NATIONAL RESEARCH COUNCIL OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMIES. THE NATIONAL ACADEMIES PRESS. <http://books.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=11571>
2. “Fluoridation Facts” (2005). American Dental Association. <http://www.ada.org/public/topics/fluoride/facts/index.asp>
3. Fluoride Action Network. (2007) “Professionals' Statement Calling for an End to Water Fluoridation.” May 20, 2008. <http://www.fluoridealert.org/statement.august.2007.html>
4. Dean, HT. (1942) “The investigation of physiological effects by the epidemiological method.” Ed: FR Mouton. Fluorine and Dental Health, ed. AAAS No. 19. Washington, DC: American Association for the Advancement of Science.
5. Griffin SO, Regnier E, Griffin PM, Huntley V. (2007) “Effectiveness of fluoride in preventing caries in adults.” Evid Based Dent. 2007; 8(3): 72-3.
6. Marinho VC, Higgins JP, Logan S, Sheiham A. (2004) “Topical fluoride (toothpastes, mouthrinses, gels or varnishes) for preventing dental caries in children and adolescents.” Evid Based Dent. 2004; 5(2): 36-7.
7. McDonagh MS, et al. “Systematic review of water fluoridation.” Ed: Hausen. BMJ 2000;321:855-859.
8. Rojas-Sánchez F, et al. (2007) “Dentin in Severe Fluorosis: a Quantitative Histochemical Study.” J Dent Res 86(9): 857-861.
9. Cunha-Cruz J, Nadanovsky P. (2005) “Dental fluorosis increases caries risk.” Journal of Evidence Based Dental Practice Vol. 5(3): 170-171.
10. Waidyasekera PG, at al. (2007) “Caries susceptibility of human fluorosed enamel and dentine.” J Dent. 2007 Apr; 35(4): 343-9.
11. Beltran E, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (CDC, 2005) “Surveillance for dental caries, dental sealants, tooth retention, edentulism, and enamel fluorosis--United States, 1988-1994 and 1999-2002.” Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report Surveillance Summaries 54: 1-43.
12. Marshall TA, et al. (2004). Associations between Intakes of Fluoride from Beverages during Infancy and Dental Fluorosis of Primary Teeth. Journal of the American College of Nutrition 23: 108-16.
13. Locker, D. (1999). “Benefits and Risks of Water Fluoridation. An Update of the 1996 Federal-Provincial Sub-committee Report.” Prepared for Ontario Ministry of Health and Long Term Care.
14. Khan A, Moola MH, Cleaton-Jones P. (2005) “Global trends in dental fluorosis from 1980 to 2000: a systematic review.” SADJ 2005 Nov; 60(10): 418-21.
15. Warren JJ, Levy SM. (2003) “Current and future role of fluoride in nutrition.” Dental Clinics of North America 47: 225-43.
16. Fomon SJ, Ekstrand J, Ziegler EE. (2000) “Fluoride intake and prevalence of dental fluorosis: trends in fluoride intake with special attention to infants.” Journal of Public Health Dentistry 60: 131-9.
17. Browne D, Whelton H, O'Mullane D. (2005) “Fluoride metabolism and fluorosis.” J Dent. 2005 Mar; 33(3): 177-86.
18. American Dental Association. (2007) “Infants, formula and fluoride.” J Am Dent Assoc, Vol 138(1): 132.

Note:
I use [1] as a reference for much of my research, because the NRC report itself is an excellent compilation of many studies done thus far on this and other fluoride-related health issues. I highly recommend it for anyone interested in further reading about this subject. The entire report is available free online at the URL listed above.

Prevalence and Dangers of Dental Fluorosis

Excellent work, thank you!

Even though your study didn't find health hazards in using fluoride tooth-paste, would you agree that excessive daily brushing with it could increase the fluoride intake? And that combined with some fluoridated mouth rinse and fluoridated water could tip the scale towards hazardous? Contemplating on this, I decided a few years ago to try toothpaste without fluoride-just to see if would deteriorate my teeth.So I switched from fluoride toothpaste to a natural paste with baking soda. At my last visit a few months ago my dentist told me that my teeth never been in better health, that the condition of my teeth is excellent. Quod erat demonstrandum!

Even though I'm not a health professional by any means, I'm very interested in these issues. I've had long discussions with my dentist about the causes of caries etc., and I find it very curious that every professional agrees, that caries is cause by a few known bacteria, e.g. Streptococcus mutans. And, they say, it's impossible to get rid of once you've been infected(very often it transmits from the parent to the child, as the food or milk is being tasted by the parent and then given with the same spoon or flask to the child). Now, okay, I'm happy with the knowledge that these bacteria are aggressive and very hard to get rid of. But, in my layman's opinion, no efforts are being made to research possibilities of terminating these bacteria! My dentist told me, that yes-there was a time when researchers tried to come up with "stuff" that kills these bacteria, but since they proved to be just wasting time, those researches have ceased. In your expertise, do you find any truth in this statement?

I've researched this issue on the internet, and I've found some studies of how some herbs and other plant extracts can destroy quite efficiently these decay bacterias. I've to get back to you with those, don't know where I put the links. I do remember that one study did find nutmegs Myristica to be very effective(_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutmeg). That can be found in e.g. the herb extract mixture called "Carmolis", or "the Monk's drops". Baking soda has also been found helpful. So the question really is: is the dental care business trying to suppress research on decay-bacteria destroying agents and remedies? Are they afraid they'll be out of business?

The question of amalgam fillings is a whole new can of worms...maybe someone will bring it up later :)

Hi Aragorn,

Thank you for the questions. I'll try to answer them as best I can with my limited knowledge.

aragorn said:
Even though your study didn't find health hazards in using fluoride tooth-paste, would you agree that excessive daily brushing with it could increase the fluoride intake? And that combined with some fluoridated mouth rinse and fluoridated water could tip the scale towards hazardous?
As far as I know, you won't find any debate amongst health professionals and scientists about the benefits of TOPICAL fluoride, or that which is applied to the tooth surface (as when brushing). See, for example, this excellent collection of excerpts from scientific literature:
http://www.fluoridealert.org/health/teeth/caries/topical-systemic.html

The ADA and the CDC, in their dogmatic approach to water fluoridation, seem to have ignored the exponential increase in topical fluoride-containing products since the 1950's. All scientific evidence points to the use of topical fluorides, NOT systemic fluorides, as the cause of the dramatic decrease in the prevalence of dental caries over the years.

The obvious problem with topical fluorides in toothpaste is: how do you not swallow the stuff? Kids, especially, have been shown to swallow a lot of their toothpaste - a very dangerous phenomenon. It's important to rinse well after brushing your teeth so as to minimize fluoride intake.

As for using non-fluoridated toothpaste, this seems to be the case of "throwing out the baby with the bathwater." What is the active ingredient in those toothpastes that replace the action of fluoride? As I said, it has been well-established that fluoride is a great anti-caries agent when applied topically, so I'm curious to know.

The physical act of brushing is beneficial in itself and works to loosen up and remove debris accumulated from food intake - it is this debris that bacteria live on. This is why flossing is so important: the debris that accumulates between the teeth is very hard to get with just a toothbrush. What fluoride does topically is that it creates a Fluorapatite layer on the outer enamel of the teeth which has been shown to be more resistant to bacteria attack.

aragorn said:
In your expertise, do you find any truth in this statement?
I don't have any official expertise - just what I read on my own. Perhaps in four years I'll let you know :)

aragorn said:
So the question really is: is the dental care business trying to suppress research on decay-bacteria destroying agents and remedies? Are they afraid they'll be out of business?
I don't know anything about how herbs can work to destroy caries-causing bacteria. As far as I know, there isn't much research going on to explore this area. Given the restricted access to research funds in today's academia, this isn't very surprising, as there isn't much money to be made from do-it-yourself dental care ;)

i also find the lack of solutions to get rid of caries causing bacteria very strange.
how hard can it be to kill them?

and dentistry is of course a very profitable business, so to think that there might be some solution out there that's being suppressed, isn't that far fetched.

i would really dig some general "dental advice" from the c's to cut through the confusion.

Dental Almagams?

dant said:
What to do if you have dental almagams?
Sorry this is so late in replying. You question is answered in some of the new SotT articles. I also did not want to begin a new thread for the same topic and decided to put the information here.

I can well attest to the ADA resistance of affirming that the mercury in amalgam fillings is highly toxic. In 1980 (in my late 20’s), shortly after having more amalgam fillings placed in my head, I noticed my hair started falling out, I was tired quite often, experienced all sorts of aches and pains, began having severe acne and other vague irregularities regarding my health. I was in and out of the doctor’s office so much, that it was finally suggested to me that I seek out a mental health practioner. Hmmm. OK, I know I’m not the brightest bulb on the tree, but I didn’t think I was “losin’ it” either, although one begins to wonder after dealing the health care industry here in the US. If you cannot produce a medical degree, you know nothing and no amount of logic will gain you any ground. Another “offering” from the industry were medications to alleviate stress, guessed by all the doctors I saw during a four year time span to be the cause of my vague and numerous symptoms. I refused that offer.

So, I began my own research. Eventually, I stumbled upon information regarding amalgam fillings; those things I called silver fillings. I was shocked to learn that mercury was in those fillings. I had learned in high school that mercury was highly toxic to all living creatures.

I made an appointment with my dentist I (and my family) had been seeing for the past ten years. (This dentist was basically a “nice guy”. He was “community” oriented and ran for city council and won. He served his two-year term, but refused to run again as he was extremely frustrated with politics and the nature of how and why things were done.)

At this point, I had about ten or twelve amalgam fillings. I had no dental insurance (which would not have covered what I wanted done). I informed him that I wanted all of them removed and replaced with porcelain. He asked me why. I told him that I had learned that amalgam fillings have mercury in them and I wanted them removed. (Later, I had learned that if I had answered that question by stating that I found porcelain fillings “more attractive” there would have been no problem. The reason for this is that if a dentist removed the fillings for the reason I stated, the ADA would view this as the dentist agreeing with the patient and the dentist would risk losing his accreditation with the ADA if the ADA learned of it. The ADA has been aware and deliberately hidden this knowledge.)

Due to my answer, a debate ensued. I had reasoned that I was paying for this and I was not asking the dentist to do something illegal, therefore I was not understanding his reluctance. He carefully explained that the mercury did not leach out of the fillings. Several times I stated to him that if he had a problem with what I wanted to do, please say so and I would seek out a dentist who would perform the work. However, he would not back down with his defense of amalgam fillings. I did not have a problem with what he chose to believe. After going back and forth for fifteen minutes, I was beginning to lose my patience as I had not expected to debate my choice to this degree. Finally, I blurted out, “This is why we have “Love Canal”. All that nuclear waste we sealed up in lead tanks and buried underground wasn’t supposed to leak out either. Please, if you have a problem doing this, say so. I will find another dentist.” He had no rebuttal and agreed to replace my amalgam fillings.

This dentist has since retired, but for several years he would send me articles affirming the safety of amalgam fillings and I would send him articles indicating the opposite.

Below is an article taken from “Whole Body Dentistry” offered by Mark Breiner, DDS

HISTORY - AMALGAM (MERCURY) FILLINGS

When amalgam was first introduced in the in 1833, many dentists were outraged at the suggestion of installing such a highly toxic metal in their patients' mouths. In , amalgam was called "Quacksilber" and anyone who placed amalgams was called a "Quack." This controversy, later termed the First Amalgam War, was quelled when proponents of mercury insisted that the mercury was safe because it was stabilized in the hardened amalgam compound of silver, copper, tin, and zinc, and did not come out. Since amalgam was less expensive and easier to work with than the standard gold fillings, it was not long before silver amalgam was routinely used for filling cavities.

Controversy over amalgam use surfaced again in 1926 and into the 1930's when a German physician, Dr. Alfred Stock, showed that mercury escaped from fillings in the form of a dangerous vapor that could cause significant medical damage. During this Second Amalgam War, the American Dental Association vigorously defended silver amalgam and its widespread use was continued. Remarkably, the Food and Drug Administration has separately approved the mercury and the alloy powder for dental use; but the amalgam mixture has never been approved as a dental device. Consequently, in using amalgam, dentists are using a non-FDA-approved device. ("The dentist has a duty to communicate truthfully." ... the American Dental Association Code of Ethics.)

The Third Amalgam War began heating up in 1986. Pressure from mounting clinical evidence forced the ADA to finally publicly concede that mercury vapor does escape from the amalgam filling into the patients mouth. But the ADA remained adamant that mercury in patients' mouths is safe, and in 1986 it changed its code of ethics, making it unethical for a dentist to recommend the removal of amalgam because of mercury. The ADA has actually made it unethical for your dentist to keep you, the consumer, informed of a potential serious health risk, or to recommend a procedure that could possibly improve your emotional and physical health. Some dentists have even been accused of unethical behavior and practicing medicine for recommending amalgam removal, in what has become a modern day "witch hunt" against dentists who choose to take into consideration the fact that their patients have poison in their mouths. These fear tactics are being employed by the ADA to make sure that silver amalgam does not come under further scrutiny.

This position from this non-scientific dental trade union is most unfortunate. For years the American Dental Association has insisted that the silver amalgam used for filling cavities is safe. And despite studies showing toxic mercury vapor readings in the mouths of patients with silver amalgam fillings, the American Dental Association still maintains that mercury fillings are safe. But mercury amalgam is not safe. Mercury is unquestionably a toxic substance, and it does indeed escape from amalgam fillings, continuously vaporizing in amounts that are frequently in the hazardous range.

Mercury vapor, which is considered the deadliest form of mercury, is inhaled and passes via the lungs into the blood system which carries mercury to virtually all the bodily tissues. It also passes directly into the brain. It is noteworthy that as of October 1998, all over the counter products containing mercury had to be removed from the shelves because the manufacturers could not prove their safety. The scientific evidence for mercury toxicity from amalgam fillings is very compelling.

The amalgam war continues to rage on today. Three states have already appointed holistic/biological dentists to dental boards, effectively ending the ADA monopoly on state dental boards. There is presently a congressional bill in The United States House of Representatives (H.R. 4163) introduced by Rep. Diane Watson (D-CA) and Rep. Dan Burton (R-IN) to ban the continued use dental amalgam fillings. Further, Connecticut has passed a law banning the sale of products after July 1, 2004 containing 250 parts per million of mercury. Amalgam fillings contain 500,000 part per million of mercury. Each filling has about ¾ of a gram of mercury, the same as a mercury thermometer, also banned under the statute. Connecticut citizens are waiting for the State EPA to rule whether they will enforce this law with regard to mercury amalgam fillings, amid mounting pressure from the state dental board and dentists which oppose the ban. Maine presently has a bill deciding the fate of mercury amalgam fillings; subsequently, the ADA has threatened to limit dental care to the state of Maine if they follow through with the ban – the ADA is currently being sued for its threats. In addition, In March of 2005, a federal judge ruled in favor of Dr. Mark Breiner to allow him his right to speak freely about mercury amalgam fillings after receiving a gag order from the state dental board.

Hopefully, this current amalgam war will finally bring to an end a nearly two century old practice of lies, deceit, and misinformation all at the expense of public health. With the advent of cyberspace and the widespread propagation of information, the mounting body of scientific evidence against mercury amalgam fillings is finally creating extensive public concern. It is only a matter of time before politicians will be forced to deliver mercury amalgam fillings into extinction.

Dental Almagams?

More:

Florida League Conservation Voters Education Fund -State of the Florida Environment Education Page said:
This paper documents that a significant percentage of people are allergic or immune reactive to mercury to varying degrees, and that millions are adversely affected by such conditions, including many disabled by related autoimmune conditions. The incidence of allergic and immune reactive conditions such as allergies, asthma, eczema, lupus, psoriasis, MS, etc. have been increasing rapidly in recent years (1-3,21,23).

Autism incidence rate had a 10 fold increase in the last decade and ADHD had major increases likewise(16,116). At least 50 million have allergies(19%)(1d) and according to the U.S. CDC(1c) approximately 20 million have asthma(7.7%). The largest increase has been in infants (1,2,6,7,21,23,16), and approximately 10 % of infants- approximately 15 million in the U.S. with systemic eczema(1ab,9,16). Studies researching the reason for these rapid increases in infant reactive conditions seem to implicate earlier and higher usage of vaccines containing mercury (thimerasol) as a likely connection (2,6,21,23,16), plus fetal and neonatal exposure from mother’s blood and milk (115). It has been estimated that by age 3 the typical child has received over 235 micrograms of mercury thimerasol from vaccinations which is considerably more than Federal mercury safety guidelines, in addition to significant levels of mercury exposure from other sources for many(2,21,23,16). Infants during this period have undeveloped immune systems and blood brain barriers, and much of the mercury goes to the brain, resulting in significant adverse neurological effects in those that are most susceptible. Many thousands of parents have reported that their child got such conditions after vaccination, and tests have confirmed high levels of mercury in many of those tested, along with other toxic exposures. Many of those diagnosed with high mercury levels have also been found to have significant improvement after mercury detoxification (16,23,11,12,etc.). Thimerasol had been previously removed from similar preservative uses in eye drops and eye medications after evidence of a connection to chronic degenerative eye conditions. After over 15,000 law suits were filed in France over adverse effects of the Hepatitis B vaccine, the French Minister of Health ended the mandatory hepatitis B vaccination program for all school children. Adverse effects included neurological disorders and autoimmune disorders such as multiple sclerosis and lupus.
_http://www.flcv.com/immunere.html

and this

CureZone.com said:
Mercury poisoning symptoms-Signs & Symptoms of Mercury Vapor Exposure

from Mercury Amalgam Dental Fillings

1. Psychological Disturbances (erethysm)
Irritability, Nervousness, Fits of Anger, Memory Loss, Lack of Attention, Depression, Low Self Confidence, Anxiety, Drowsiness, Shyness/timidity, Decline of Intellect, Insomnia, Low Self Control.

2. Oral Cavity Disorders
Bleeding Gums, White Patches - Mouth, Stomatitis, Bone Loss Around Teeth, Loosening of Teeth, Ulcers of Gums- Palate- Tongue, Excessive Saliva, Burning of Mouth, Foul Breath, Gum Pigmentation, Metalic Taste.

3. Gastrointestinal Effects
Abdominal Cramps, Colitis, Crohn's disease, Gastrointestinal Problems, Diarrhea.

4. Systemic Effects
Cardiovascular, Irregular Heart Beat, Changes in Blood Pressure, Feeble or Irregular Pulse, Pain or Pressure in Chest

5. Neurologic
Chronic or Frequent Headaches, Dizziness, Ringing or Noises in Ears, Fine Tremors (Hands, Feet, Eye Lids, Tongue)

6. Respiratory
Persistant Cough, Emphysema, Shallow or Irregular Breathing.

7. Immunological
Allergies, Asthma, Rhinitis, Sinusitis, Swollen Lymph Nodes in Neck

8. Endocrine
Subnormal Temperature, Cold Clammy Hands & Feet, Excessive Perspiration, Muscle Weakness, Fatigue, Hypoxia, Edema, Loss of Appetite, Loss of Weight, Joint Pain

"...The primary symptoms of mercury-poisoning are vague psychic ones. Short-time memory deteriorates. You will find it difficult to concentrate on tasks which require attention and thinking. It is easier to execute tasks that are well known rather than to learn something new. You avoid social contacts which demand that you get out of your introvert behavior. You loose your temper easily and switch between different moods for no particular reason. Little by little, a more physical kind of exhaustion is added to the condition. More and more effort is required to initiate activities and sometimes break things due to inability to co-ordinate your movements with your visual impressions (ataxia).
_http://curezone.com/dental/mercury_symptoms.asp

Mercury Free Dentistry said:
A Few Scientific Facts About Mercury, Amalgams, and Disease

Mercury is released out of every "silver" filling (amalgam) immediately upon implantation and continues to release from the open surface of the filling in vapor/gas form.
Some released mercury can even migrate (retrograde) up the nerve axion and directly into the brain.
No safe level of mercury has ever been found. The EPA's standard is now: .02 micrograms of mercury per cubic meter of air [extremely low]. The FDA does not even have a standard of how much is too much. If they did and it were as low as the EPA, no one could ever have another amalgam.
Every "silver" filling implanted in the teeth contains 43% - 55% pure elemental mercury.
Scanning electron micrographs show thousands of spheres of raw/liquid elemental mercury on the surface of polished amalgams (which can then offgas into your mouth and/or get into the food you eat.)
Scientific documentation has demonstrated that there is an absorption rate of 80% or more of inhaled mercury vapor.
Latest scientific facts from autopsies show the number of amalgam fillings in the mouth correlates with the amount of mercury found in the brain tissue, pituitary, thyroid adrenal glands and kidneys. Also, found were lesions on the brain and in the spinal column where discs were literally fused together from the mercury [joint pain--maybe??].
Science has well documented that mercury causes various metabolic physiological changes in living tissue and organs, including SUPPRESSION OF THE IMMUNE FUNCTION.
Science has documented the uptake of inhaled mercury vapor into every organ of the human body.
Science has shown that chronic exposure to minute doses of mercury will cause an accumulation of mercury to occur during the life-time of the organism. This is due to the slow rate of elimination of mercury from the body.
Mercury and its various compounds cross the placental membrane in concentrated measure and are taken up by the embryo and fetus. There is evidence that the fetal brain levels of mercury are 30% greater than maternal blood levels of mercury.
Significant quantities of mercury can be passed to the nursing child through the mother's milk.
Mercury can produce diseases of insideous onset which may be delayed as much as 20 years from initial exposure. (body threshold is the key)
High levels of mercury are found in the brains of alzheimer's victims, and mercury has been shown to cause brain lesions indistinguishable from hallmark alzheimer's pathology (tubulin aggregation and neuro-fibril tangles).[See the website: www.iaomt.org for irrefutable visual video proof = checkmate.]

Autopsies of dentists and dental assistants showed an increase of 800% (8x) over the control level of mercury in the pituitary gland.
90% of dentists tested on perceptual motor skill and neuro-cognative standardized tests experienced serious tremors and 30% suffered mental-neuro problems, such as short term memory loss or lack of concentration.
_http://www.mercuryfreedentistry.com/default.asp?page=symptoms

This takes the thread somewhat astray, but is interesting. I wonder what other hidden riders there are regarding mercury.

Moms Against Mercury said:
When the Homeland Security Bill was passed it had a hidden rider attached protecting Eli-Lilly, the original maker of thimerosal, the mercury based preservative in vaccines, from our litigation. The Bush Administration also asked that our records, in the Federal Court of Claims, be sealed from the public.
http://www.momsagainstmercury.org/tribune.htm

edit: link & typos

Back
Top Bottom