Do some French people see what's going on? Yellow Vest Protests

Meanwhile:
Translated from French by Microsoft
Here are the photos from this beginning #tornade, a snorkel very developed under a #orages stationary! a ground contact is not to be excluded but I have not found anything! taken South of Nancy from Ceintrey (54) @KeraunosObs #HeyMeteoFrance @infoclimat @ChloeNabedian

The mobilisation of the taxi and driving-school unions, as well as an ambulance Association, started this morning in the Paris region in order to protest against the mobilities law and the forthcoming reform of the driver's licence. Several motorcades block highways.

Yellow vests Act 26-tenacious mobilization in Occitanie/Montepellier. #Giletsjaunes #Montpellier #Herault #Giletsjaunes2019

Undocumented migrants occupy a Terminal at Roissy, chanting: "France is not the French, all Africa has the right to be here" Huge! Manipulated by leftist associations on the eve of the elections, they are not aware of the crap 😡 «La France, c’est pas aux Français !» : des sans-papiers occupent un terminal de Roissy (VIDEOS)

On the blog lundimatin, there is (among other things) a documented article on the methods used to reduce the movement of yellow vests by the psychological weapon : Réduire les Gilets Jaunes par l’arme psychologique Ou comment les méthodes contre-insurrectionnelles sont passées du monde militaire à celui de l’entreprise jusqu’au cabinet du président
This method consists in defining activists in four groups:
- The radicals
- The opportunists
- The idealists
- The realists
and to provide differentiated responses to each of these categories.
This method seems to have been inherited from the American army (probably the Office of War Information), taken over by the French army (De la guerre d’Algérie à l’Irak aujourd’hui) and then adapted to civil society on behalf of large companies and ultimately, certainly used today by the French government against yellow vests.
This seems, unfortunately, to be very effective.☹

A lire aussi : Pourquoi les flics se sont mis à piquer le sérum phy dans les manifs

Last edited:
On the blog lundimatin, there is (among other things) a documented article on the methods used to reduce the movement of yellow vests by the psychological weapon : Réduire les Gilets Jaunes par l’arme psychologique Ou comment les méthodes contre-insurrectionnelles sont passées du monde militaire à celui de l’entreprise jusqu’au cabinet du président

From what I’ve read, the YV numbers do seem to be on the decline but my hats off to these people who continue to march each week for half a year now, unwilling to put up with the current state of affairs. I would dearly like to see the YV movement actually make some gains, not the pathetic concessions Macron has thrown at the French population thus far. Not that I want to see the civil unrest continue, but I hope the movement pushes on and is successful in making some serious changes and doesn’t succumb to ideological divisions. Wishful thinking on my part, I know but hope springs eternal.

Some interesting news in the context (all with english subtitles available) :

First :

As every last Wednesday of the month, several influential personalities from the political, media, judicial and financial worlds gathered in Paris for the dinner of le Siècle. Objective: to discuss the case without cameras or journalists in defiance of the separation of powers. Undoubtedly jealous of the table, the constituent yellow vests wanted to organize their own dinner in a good-natured and determined spirit. Thibault and the Media pour Tous team were on hand to party with the Yellow Vests.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

And the nth act of the yellow vest (yes it's becoming very very desperate) with an strange encounter with the March of Jesus (I guess it's why the media entitled this the "holy wrath") :

The extreme LGBT left attacks Chapelle Ste Anne

In Brest, the far left enjoys, as in many other metropolitan areas in France, a certain impunity to attack, destroy and even try to 'suffocate' those who hold different opinions.

The Chapel of St. Anne, belonging to the Fraternity of St. Pius X, knows something about this, as it is being subjected to waves of perfectly signed tags, threats, insults and degradations.

"Thank God I'm gay, trans, dyke." "Die f***ing fascists." "Die hetero patriarchy." We let you discover these tags, which follow violent intrusions into the chapel in recent months. A man even entered it during Mass screaming Allah Wakbar. Not a faithful Muslim, but an identified far-left militant seeking to provoke. Some individuals also committed exhibitionism on the sidewalk while parishioners and their children arrived for mass, all the while insulting and mocking them.

The authorities say only one thing: hear nothing, see nothing. It is easy to imagine the media coverage and the acceleration of judicial investigations if LGBT activists were subjected to the same violence, the same attacks... Just look at the aggression of a transsexual by an Algerian immigrant in Paris recently. 6 months in prison for the attacker. Case judged in a few weeks. Justice has priorities......

The message addressed by Father Guillaume Gaud, in charge of the chapel, goes in the direction of appeasement.

"Residents express their distress at seeing hatred spread regularly against this peaceful chapel. May Saint Anne forgive them and convert the hearts of these people!"

Christianophobic acts are on the rise in France, without however attracting the authorities, the mainstream press and the traditional people usually outraged by anti-racism, xenophobia, transphobia and other almost pathological phobias.

tags-chapelle-sainte-anne-brest2.jpg
tags-chapelle-sainte-anne-brest3.jpg
tags-chapelle-sainte-anne-brest4.jpg
tags-chapelle-sainte-anne-brest5.jpg
tags-chapelle-sainte-anne-brest6.jpg
tags-chapelle-sainte-anne-brest7.jpg
tags-chapelle-sainte-anne-brest8.jpg
tags-chapelle-sainte-anne-brest9.jpg
tags-chapelle-sainte-anne-brest10.jpg
20190521_173242.jpg
20190521_173304.jpg

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

Ollie Richardson
Hence why in March 2019 I wrote an article (part 1) based on my own primary research that aimed to convey the most important events in the history of the Yellow Vests movement.
English Trans. Video / Charts / Photos / The Saker / 32-41 minute Read:
29c3159b7b3f49269f3a9bbe37608e1b.png

⚡📽🇨🇵 Alexandre #Benallabecomes Monsieur "security" of Marcel Campion, after their meeting on 24 May the "King of the rides" confirms today in this video their collaboration in the field of security. ✴️ Video dated 1 june 2019.

After a break on the lawn, they turned on #GiletsJaunes again to #Paris #FDO in number, including some hoods. It's like being in the face of terrorists 🤔 #Macron. They block all access to the place #Nation for this #Acte29 #ACTEXXIX

Good morning 😀 -- increase in electricity -more than half of the members of the Govt in tax relief -No claims obtained -destruction of the public service (except police and army) We're not letting go! #acte29 engaged ✊

From what I've read, the YV numbers do seem to be on the decline but my hats off to these people who continue to march each week for half a year now, unwilling to put up with the current state of affairs. I would dearly like to see the YV movement actually make some gains, not the pathetic concessions Macron has thrown at the French population thus far. Not that I want to see the civil unrest continue, but I hope the movement pushes on and is successful in making some serious changes and doesn’t succumb to ideological divisions. Wishful thinking on my part, I know but hope springs eternal.

The last two weekends, US media coverage of the YV movement has been promoting " a decline".

Turnout at France's 'yellow vest' protest hits fresh low June 1, 2019
FILE PHOTO: A protester wearing a yellow vest holds a French flag as he walks among tear gas during the traditional May Day labour union march with French unions and yellow vests protesters in Paris, France, May 1, 2019.  REUTERS/Gonzalo Fuentes/File Photo

The number of "yellow vest" demonstrators marching against high living costs in France dwindled on Staurday following several weeks of waning turnout, more than six months into the protests against President Emmanuel Macron.

6 days ago ...
French yellow vest protesters clash with police but numbers wane
FILE PHOTO: French police apprehend protesters during the May Day march involving French unions and yellow vest protesters in Paris, France, May 1, 2019. REUTERS/Philippe Wojazer/File Photo

Yellow vest protesters clashed with riot police in Paris and the northern city of Amiens on Saturday as the French anti-government movement waned on its 28th straight weekend.

It might not be the numbers that "dwindled" but maybe the coverage? Macron's popularity ratings are on the declined and I suspect there might have been a "red notice" sent out to the news outlets - to play down the protests. Even this protest - only got minimum coverage?

Second Saudi ship leaves French port without arms cargo -rights group
A Saudi cargo ship has left the southern French port of Fos-sur-Mer without loading its arms cargo destined for Saudi Arabia, blocked from doing so after pressure from rights campaigners, a French rights group said on Thursday. The incident reported by ACAT, a Christian organization against torture, is the second time this month that a Saudi vessel has been blocked from loading arms in France as pressure mounts on Paris to stop arms sales to the kingdom.

I imagine, Macron's "ego took a major hit" with this recent development in the European elections?

Macron's 2nd place in EU election 'disappointing' but no policy change: Elysee
French President Emmanuel Macron leaves by car after voting as part of the vote for the European parliamentary election in Le Touquet, France May 26, 2019. Ludovic Marin/Pool via REUTERS
French President Emmanuel Macron's second place in the European elections behind Marine Le Pen's far-right party is a disappointment but will not prompt a change in the government's reform drive, an Elysee official said on Sunday.

Exit polls show France's far-right on top in EU vote in France
Marine Le Pen's far-right Rassemblement National party won the most votes in the European Parliament election in France, two exit polls showed on Sunday, in an upset to the domestic and European ambitions of President Emmanuel Macron.

Despite bruised ego, Macron starts real campaign for Brussels influence
FILE PHOTO: French president Emmanuel Macron casts his ballot at a polling station as part of the vote for the European parliamentary election in Le Touquet, France May 26, 2019. Ludovic Marin/Pool via REUTERS

Emmanuel Macron may have ended up with a disappointing second place in the European election in France, but his battle for influence in Brussels can now begin in earnest - and he is in a stronger position to wage that fight than two years ago.

It might not be the numbers that "dwindled" but maybe the coverage? Macron's popularity ratings are on the declined and I suspect there might have been a "red notice" sent out to the news outlets - to play down the protests. Even this protest - only got minimum coverage?

I have no doubt the propaganda arm of the establishment globally (i.e. MSM) have been tasked with downplaying the actual numbers of protesters. They need to make it seem like the problem is going away, but I don’t think they factored in social media, let alone the stoic determination of the people. I think that’s also why there have been reports of journalists (with clear identification) being targeted by police as reported above- they really want to suppress the truth of the matter. As evidenced by the latest EU election results, I think the Euro elites are in a for a bit of a shock, Europeans are just fed up with the lot of them & deservedly so!!

The results of the Europeans decided long before the people's votes :

L'édition numérique du Parisien du 26/05 à 7h11
The digital edition of Le Parisien from 26/05 at 7:11 am

Some comments :

Page removed from the Parisien website...... I think we deserve an explanation and an apology, don't you?

which we haven't voted on yet, they're already elected,,,,?,,

What the hell is this binzzzz,,,,,?,?,?,?

What do you mean?? I just put my report card in the box and the results are already known? Article prepared well in advance!

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa! Too strong Le Parisien (LVMH)... at 7:11 am when no one has yet voted? If that's not crazy... the mouth... the mouth!!!!

Oh well, the MEPs are already in place, I'm going back to fishing!

I have no doubt the propaganda arm of the establishment globally (i.e. MSM) have been tasked with downplaying the actual numbers of protesters. They need to make it seem like the problem is going away, but I don’t think they factored in social media, let alone the stoic determination of the people. I think that’s also why there have been reports of journalists (with clear identification) being targeted by police as reported above- they really want to suppress the truth of the matter. As evidenced by the latest EU election results, I think the Euro elites are in a for a bit of a shock, Europeans are just fed up with the lot of them & deservedly so!!

It appears - intimidation tactics are being instrumented - to silence journalists into conformity? Macron's (poor delicate) "image" is at stake!

PARIS (AFP) - Frances's domestic intelligence service on Wednesday (May 29) questioned a journalist who broke the story of a scandal that shook President Emmanuel Macron, the latest in a growing number of reporters to be quizzed in a trend that has disturbed press freedom activists.

Top French journalist questioned by intelligence service
Top French journalist questioned by intelligence service
Ms Ariane Chemin has written a series of articles over the former presidential bodyguard Alexandre Benalla, who was fired last year after he was filmed roughing up a protester.

Ms Ariane Chemin has written a series of articles over the former presidential bodyguard Alexandre Benalla, who was fired last year after he was filmed roughing up a protester. PHOTO: AFP

Ariane Chemin, who works for the daily Le Monde, said she was questioned by the General Directorate for Internal Security (DGSI) for some 45 minutes in the presence of her lawyer after being summoned last week.

“I explained that I only did my job as a journalist,” she told AFP after the meeting.

She added that she had insisted on her right to protect her sources while carrying out work in the public interest based on a law dating to 1881.

“They asked me many questions on the manner in which I checked my information, which was an indirect way of asking me about my sources,” Chemin said.

Le Monde's managing director Louis Dreyfus was also questioned by the DGSI on Wednesday.

Chemin has written a series of articles over former presidential bodyguard Alexandre Benalla, who was fired last year after he was filmed roughing up a protester in one of the biggest scandals to shake Macron to date.

It was a July 18 article by Chemin that first reported that Benalla had beaten the May Day demonstrator while wearing a police helmet.

The summons stemmed in particular from articles about former air force officer Chokri Wakrim, the partner of Marie-Elodie Poitout, the ex-head of security at the prime minister’s office.

Poitout resigned her post after media revelations that she and Wakrim had welcomed Benalla to their home in July but insisted it had only been a social affair.

The Elysee has been accused of covering up the affair by failing to report Benalla to the authorities.

‘Only doing her job’
The secret service has already summoned seven reporters who published details over how French arms sold to Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates were being used in Yemen’s civil war, sparking an outcry by press freedom activists.

The SNJ-CGT union called for a demonstration outside the headquarters of the DGSI on Wednesday “in support of those journalists summoned by the French state in violation of the law on press freedom.”

The association of Le Monde Reporters (SRM) said on their Twitter account that Chemin was simply “bringing to the attention of citizens information that was in the public interest and thus was only doing her job.”

But Justice Minister Nicole Belloubet told the French Senate on Wednesday that the summons should "in no way be seen as an attempt at intimidation or a threat". (Comment - actually, at it's core - that attempt is exactly what is being done.)

She said the summons for Chemin was issued as part of a preliminary enquiry carried out under the supervision of the Paris prosecutor following a complaint by a special forces member that his identity had been revealed by the paper.

Senior journalists from 37 French media outlets, including Agence France-Presse, Le Figaro daily, France 2 TV and Mediapart, signed a statement supporting the journalists who were questioned over the Yemen controversy, saying they were “just doing their jobs”.

Disclose has pressed ahead with its reporting on the issue, saying on Tuesday that a shipment of munitions for French Caesar cannons would be loaded at a Mediterranean port onto a Saudi ship.

Macron security official filmed hitting protester (July 19, 2018)
Macron security official filmed hitting protester
Le Monde newspaper published a video showing Mr Alexandre Benalla (pictured) hitting and then stamping on a young man while wearing a police visor during a demonstration in central Paris on May 1, 2018.

Le Monde newspaper published a video showing Mr Alexandre Benalla (pictured) hitting and then stamping on a young man while wearing a police visor during a demonstration in central Paris on May 1, 2018.PHOTO: REUTERS

Emmanuel Macron may have ended up with a disappointing second place in the European election in France, but his battle for influence in Brussels can now begin in earnest - and he is in a stronger position to wage that fight than two years ago.

I suspect, the Press toned down the protests - so it gives the impression - Macron is in control? Surely, someone with the outstanding pedigree' and accomplishments that Macron has acquired - could easily take over Jean-Claude Junker's position?

Macron says he would back Merkel if she runs for EU leadership ( ... and Merkel should vote FOR HIM!)
FILE PHOTO: French President Emmanuel Macron and German Chancellor Angela Merkel meet on the sidelines of an EU summit in Brussels, Belgium March 21, 2019. Geert Vanden Wijngaert/Pool via Reuters/File Photo
French President Emmanuel Macron said on Tuesday that he would support German Chancellor Angela Merkel if she were to seek to succeed Jean-Claude Juncker as president of the European Commission.

World must not 'sleepwalk' into war, Macron says in speech on reforming capitalism
French President Emmanuel Macron attends the International Labour Organization's annual labour conference in Geneva, Switzerland June 11, 2019.  REUTERS/Denis Balibouse

The world is going through a profound crisis and could be on the brink of a time of war, French President Emmanuel Macron said in a speech on Tuesday, calling for a global effort to address the dangers of inequality, unchecked technology and climate change.

French PM sets out "Macron II" reform drive
FILE PHOTO: French President Emmanuel Macron attends the International Labour Organization's annual labour conference in Geneva, Switzerland June 11, 2019.  REUTERS/Denis Balibouse

FILE PHOTO: French President Emmanuel Macron attends the International Labour Organization's annual labour conference in Geneva, Switzerland June 11, 2019. REUTERS/Denis Balibouse

France will reduce unemployment benefits for high earners and offer incentives to those who work beyond normal retirement age, two major planks of a renewed reform drive by President Emmanuel Macron after months of "yellow vest" protests.

Prime Minister Edouard Philippe unveiled the measures in an address to lawmakers that included commitments to put the environment and social justice at the heart of policymaking between now and the end of Macron’s mandate in 2022.

The economic data may be pointing in Macron’s favor, but a combination of tax cuts for big business and the wealthy, reforms to loosen labor laws and the perception that he is arrogant have made the former investment banker unpopular among blue-collar workers and others struggling to make a living.

France to make incentives to work beyond pension age of 62: PM
French Prime Minister Edouard Philippe delivers his second general policy speech at the National Assembly in Paris, France,  June 12, 2019.  REUTERS/Philippe Wojazer

French Prime Minister Edouard Philippe said on Wednesday the government would create incentives for the French to stay on the job longer than the current minimum legal retirement age of 62.

(Comment: On the current minimum age for retirement - the US raised their retirement age up to 66, a few years ago. It was age 62, prior to that change. The Government gave all kinds of excuses but they really never gave an adequate reason. It does come down to "numbers" - workers pay into the system including "taxes" and taxes are what runs the Government and all of it's assorted bureaucratic divisions. One of those divisions is the Military. The price of playing war-games in foreign countries - is high, not only financially but the different divisions of the arm services (Army, Navy, Marines, etc.) require man-power. Think in terms of how many personnel (Thousands) have been taken out of the Country to serve in some foreign outpost. If there wasn't such a heavy recruitment for the military, a certain percentage would be employed in the general workforce. I'm not aware of the numbers in France but in the US, for the past 18-20 years, the birth rate in the US has dropped considerably. The US has 800+ military bases, staffed with full regimes. Statistics wise - we have lost a generation! To fill in the gap - the Government comes up with the remedy of having older workers - work longer - to feed the system. Of course, the blow-hards aren't going to tell you that! Another thing they won't tell you - there's no "Constitutionally declared WAR" ANY WHERE in the World - to warrant heavy military recruitment and foreign service.)

French PM says unemployment benefits to be tightened, taxes cut
French Prime Minister Edouard Philippe delivers his second general policy speech at the National Assembly in Paris, France,  June 12, 2019.  REUTERS/Philippe Wojazer
French Prime Minister Edouard Philippe said on Wednesday unemployment benefits for the highest earners would gradually decrease to encourage the jobless to get back to work more quickly.

France's Le Pen faces trial over Twitter images of Islamic State atrocities
FILE PHOTO: Marine Le Pen, the leader of France's far-right National Rally party, speaks during a news conference in Tallinn, Estonia May 14, 2019. REUTERS/Ints Kalnins/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Marine Le Pen, the leader of France's far-right National Rally party, speaks during a news conference in Tallinn, Estonia May 14, 2019. REUTERS/Ints Kalnins/File Photo

French far-right politician and former presidential candidate Marine Le Pen will face trial over publishing images of Islamic State atrocities on Twitter in December 2015, a judicial source said on Wednesday.

She had tweeted the images after some French media carried comments comparing her National Front party - now renamed National Rally - to Islamic State.

Le Pen has said before that legal proceedings against her are a form of political interference.

Le Pen’s party rode a wave of nationalist sentiment to win the most votes in France’s election to the European Parliament last month.

Le Pen, whose immunity to prosecution as a parliament member was lifted in 2017 so she could be investigated over the Twitter images, could face a fine of up to 75,000 euros and three years in prison.

The judicial source did not say when the trial would take place.

Macron to send new tree to Trump after oak gift died
FILE PHOTO - U.S. President Donald Trump and French President Emmanuel Macron shovel dirt onto a freshly planted oak tree as Brigitte Macron and first lady Melania Trump watch during a tree planting ceremony on the South Lawn of the White House in Washington, U.S., April 23, 2018.   REUTERS/Steve Holland

French President Emmanuel Macron downplayed the death of an oak tree he had offered U.S. President Donald Trump last year on Tuesday, saying people shouldn't read symbols into everything and that he would send the American leader a new tree.

President Emmanuel Macron's handpicked candidate to lead a new centrist alliance in the European Parliament said on Thursday she was pulling out of the race, in a blow to French government influence in the parliament. (Loose lips - sink ships?)

Macron suffers setback in EU parliament as party pays price for gaffes
FILE PHOTO: Nathalie Loiseau, head of the Renaissance (Renewal) list for the European elections, holds a European flag at the end of a political rally with French Prime Minister Edouard Philippe, in Strasbourg, France, May 11, 2019.  REUTERS/Vincent Kessler/File Photo

FILE PHOTO: Nathalie Loiseau, head of the Renaissance (Renewal) list for the European elections, holds a European flag at the end of a political rally with French Prime Minister Edouard Philippe, in Strasbourg, France, May 11, 2019. REUTERS/Vincent Kessler/File Photo

Nathalie Loiseau was quoted by Belgian media disparaging allies in Renew Europe, formed by Macron’s party and the liberal ALDE, and saying she planned a sweeping overhaul of the grouping, the third biggest in the European Parliament.

Loiseau described the comments, made during an off-record briefing to journalists in Brussels, as “pure fiction” but the leak damaged her credibility just as jostling for the leadership of the bloc intensified.

“I would rather be a unifying force for the group than a divisive one,” Loiseau wrote in a message to the group seen by Reuters. “I therefore will not run for the party’s leadership.”

Macron’s party, the pro-European Republique En Marche, which was only formed in 2016, won 21 French seats in May’s European election, leaving it in a strong position to call the shots in its union with the longer-established ALDE.

With neither of the mainstream conservative and social democrat parties holding a majority, the new liberal grouping says it can be a kingmaker in EU policymaking and deciding top jobs such as the new head of the European Commission.

Loiseau was quoted in Belgium's Le Soir and France's Le Canard Enchaine calling ALDE's longtime leader Guy Verhofstadt "an old git with pent-up frustrations" and branding the conservative EPP's candidate for Commission President an "ectoplasm."

Her remarks on seeking to revamp the centrist grouping meanwhile alarmed those in the alliance wary of Macron gaining too much influence.

An official in Macron’s office sought to downplay Loiseau’s exit from the race, saying the president’s ambitions were in no way diminished.

“On the contrary, it is a sign of unity. We are focusing on other positions in order not to give the impression that we hold a crushing grip (on the grouping),” the official said.

A spokesman for Renew Europe said there were now four names left in the race to head the group, including Sweden’s Fredrick Federley and the Netherlands’ Sophie in ‘t Veld. The group plans to elect a new leader on June 18.

France's Le Pen unveils new far-right European Parliament group
Italian Member of the European Parliament for Lega Nord Marco Zanni, French far-right National Rally (Rassemblement National) party leader Marine Le Pen, German MEP and AFD leader Jorg Meuthen and Belgian MEP and Flemish right wing Vlaams Belang party member Gerolf Annemans address a joint news conference on the formation of a new far-right European Parliament group to represent nationalists' interests at the EU Parliament in Brussels, Belgium June 13, 2019.  REUTERS/Francois Lenoir - RC186C3E2850

Italian Member of the European Parliament for Lega Nord Marco Zanni, French far-right National Rally (Rassemblement National) party leader Marine Le Pen, German MEP and AFD leader Jorg Meuthen and Belgian MEP and Flemish right wing Vlaams Belang party member Gerolf Annemans address a joint news conference on the formation of a new far-right European Parliament group to represent nationalists' interests at the EU Parliament in Brussels, Belgium June 13, 2019. REUTERS/Francois Lenoir - RC186C3E2850

France's Marine Le Pen unveiled a new far-right group in the European Parliament on Thursday, uniting eurosceptics from across the continent who aim to devolve power from Brussels back to Capitals.

Calling itself the Identity and Democracy (ID) group,
the new alliance brings together Le Pen’s National Rally, Italian Deputy Prime Minister Matteo Salvini’s League party and Germany’s Alternative for Germany (AfD) plus nationalists from Austria, Finland and Denmark, among others.

“We have changed the political chessboard of the European Union,” Le Pen said of ID, which will hold 73 of 751 seats and is the fifth-largest grouping in the newly elected Parliament, just behind the Greens.

It replaces the Europe of Nations and Freedom group, which held 36 seats in the last EU legislature.

While parties committed to strengthening the EU won two-thirds of seats in last month’s Europe-wide election, nationalist leaders hailed their strong gains as a vindication.

The parties have bridged differences to unite around the broad goals of returning power to EU member states, curbing immigration and preventing the spread of Islam in Europe.

A different twist to the Yellow Vests ...

Hundreds of undocumented migrants calling themselves "black vests" stormed the Pantheon monument in central Paris on Friday demanding the right to remain in France.

Undocumented migrants storm Pantheon monument in Paris
A man holds a placard which reads Support to the Gilets Noirs movement as he stands in front of the Pantheon occupied by undocumented migrants in Paris, France, July 12, 2019.  REUTERS/Philippe Wojazer

A man holds a placard which reads "Support to the Gilets Noirs movement" as he stands in front of the Pantheon occupied by undocumented migrants in Paris, France, July 12, 2019. REUTERS/Philippe Wojazer

Police on the scene stated, an estimated 200 to 300 protesters, mostly from West Africa, managed to get into the Left Bank mausoleum where national heroes including Voltaire and Victor Hugo are buried.

“We will remain here until the last one of us has been given documents,” a leaflet given out by an organizer read.

Young men were chanting "black vests" - a reference to the recent anti-government "yellow vest" protests - while marching around the monument, which is located in the heart of the Capital's Latin Quarter, an area popular with tourists.

About 50 to 60 riot police barricaded access to the site of the protest, which was taking place peacefully, and them out of the building in groups.

Far-right leader Marine Le Pen called the occupation unacceptable. She tweeted: “In France, the only future for any illegal immigrant should be getting kicked out, because that’s the law.”

In other news ...
Macron sets sights on France's town halls for power base
French President Emmanuel Macron waves at reporters at the Elysee Palace in Paris, France, July 9, 2019. REUTERS/Charles Platiau

After dynamiting France's mainstream parties, President Emmanuel Macron is turning his mind to re-election and the need to make inroads in the last bastion of the old establishment: 35,000 town halls.

French ex-president Hollande testified in Brazil fighter jet probe: source
FILE PHOTO - Former French President Francois Hollande arrives to attend the 34th annual dinner of the Representative Council of Jewish Institutions of France (CRIF - Conseil Representatif des Institutions juives de France) in Paris, France February 20, 2019. REUTERS/Philippe Wojazer

Former French President Francois Hollande was questioned by police in France earlier this month as a witness in a Brazilian corruption investigation into a deal to buy combat jets, a source close to the politician said.

Vatican lifts immunity of Paris envoy: French foreign ministry
The Vatican has lifted the diplomatic immunity of its envoy in France, the French foreign ministry said on Monday, opening the way for Archbishop Luigi Ventura to be questioned by prosecutors over accusations of sexual molestation.

Former French PM Fillon's trial over fake jobs set for February 24-March 10
FILE PHOTO: Former French Prime Minister Francois Fillon leaves after a national ceremony for late Lieutenant-Colonel Arnaud Beltrame at the Hotel des Invalides in Paris, France, March 28, 2018.  Ludovic Marin/Pool via Reuters

French former Prime Minister Francois Fillon and his wife will stand trial between February 24 and March 10, a Paris court said Thursday, on charges related to a fake jobs scandal that ruined his bid for the 2017 presidency.

French energy minister stays on despite lobster scandal
FILE PHOTO: French Minister for the Ecological and Inclusive Transition Francois de Rugy takes part in a news conference after the first Council for Environmental Defence at the Elysee Palace in Paris, France May 23, 2019. Ludovic Marin/Pool via REUTERS

France's environment minister is prepared to reimburse any undue expense from lavish lobster-and-wine dinners he hosted when parliament speaker, his boss said on Thursday, ratifying Francois de Rugy's position despite widespread public disgust.

Macron to unveil France's nuclear-powered 'Barracuda' submarine
The French Navy vessel called Suffren, first of the nuclear Barracuda class attack submarines, leaves the workshops of its construction at the Naval Group site in Cherbourg, France, July 5, 2019. REUTERS/Benoit Tessier

President Emmanuel Macron will unveil on Friday France's latest nuclear-powered 'Barracuda' class submarine, a 9 billion euro ($10.13 billion) stealth vessel program Paris says is key to maintaining its naval presence for decades to come.

Back
Top Bottom