Do tattoos hold any special significance?

Just to note that in Ant22's first post, in the quote there's links to a tattoo 'removal' cream. I believe that someone from the forum tried it and it didn't work. The ingredients are little different to a moisturizing cream.

To my knowledge, no cream on the market has been developed that can completely remove tattoos. The only option available at the moment is lazer light therapy which, depending on the tattoo, requires a number of sessions and will cost much more than the original tattoo. I've heard of costs upwards of a $1000, and more.

I don't think tattooing Reiki symbols on the body would have any particular positive effect, and I'm not sure why you would want to do that when Reiki works well practised as it is.

We've learned about people who have tried to add bells and whistles to Reiki before (Diane Stein and her backwards symbols) and I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that if you were intending for Reiki to be sent to someone for a period of time it was important to specify the time frame because you didn't want to leave the energy going indefinitely, I could be remembering incorrectly though. So I'm not sure if having a symbol on you permanently would be a good idea. That's just speculation though.

Then, why would you want to go through all that pain and trauma for the body? In Michael J. Lincolns Messages from the Body, he has a paragraph on tattoos - I don't have the book to hand right now- which says that having them is self-mutilation and like a rejection of the divine and all things natural. So perhaps you could think about what it is that is motivating you to consider going down that path?

@itellsya is right, the tattoo cream does not work and you would have to undergo months of expensive and painful laser treatments to have a tattoo removed.

I have a theory about tatoos.
A genetic fault and a scar are sometimes visually similar, but one of them is many times repulsive an another one could be attractive about mating issues.
I can remember even a commercial with a stereotypical male whit a really BIG shark scar, targeting woman.
In a natural environement, scars means success in challenging situations or attacks, hence a biological avantage, while genetic deviations ( lack of a toe, for example) exactly the opposite.
So our brain accurately sorts both and presents opposite feeling to us.
In my opinion, tatoos mocks and pretends such scars. They are performed in places normally esposed to accidents, an some cultures even made it 3D.
Only a theory.

The end result externally might look the same, but the process originated within, and then the color of the walls being a different color are now a reminder of an internal change and not a symptom of lack of will to work.

Very interesting subject imo and a practice that has apparently been around a long time;

Going off on a tangent, the mention of 'colour' also reminds me of the 'Picts';

The term Pict is thought to have originated as a generic exonym used by the Romans in relation to people living north of the ForthClyde isthmus. The Latin word Picti first occurs in a panegyric written by Eumenius in AD 297 and is taken to mean "painted or tattooed people" (from Latin pingere "to paint"; pictus, "painted", cf. Greek "πυκτίς" pyktis, "picture").

1599277807299.png

Q: Were the Picts Kantekkians?

A: Originally.

Having often wondered if there may have been some kind of 'racial' memory that underpinned the practice?

Q: (L) Who were the blue skinned people written about in the Vedas?

A: Aryans.

Q: (L) Were the Aryans originally blue skinned?

A: No.

Q: (L) Why did the Vedas talk about blue-skinned people and why are there blue skinned people in remote areas of the Appalachians?

A: Are whites real "white"?

Q: (L) Were there ever any really blue people?

A: No. They were perceived as blue due to thinness of skin and contrast with native population.

Likewise with the Northmen?

...the famous Islamic traveller Ahmad ibn Fadlan describes ‘the Rusiyyah’ – generally assumed to be the Volga Vikings as being tattooed from “the tips of his toes to his neck” with dark blue or dark green “designs”.

And although I much prefer a 'senzar' type hypothesis and deeper meaning to the symbology;

Q: (L) Well, the word "kilt" comes from "Celtic," but no one seems to know where they originated... they just sort of appeared on the landscape, so to speak.

A: Exactly!

Q: (L) Are you going to tell us?

A: No, not just as of yet.

Q: (L) So, there is some interesting connection! (RC) Does it mean "warrior race?"

A: If you prefer! We have close affiliation with the "Northern Peoples." Why? Because we were in regular, direct contact with them on Kantek, before they were "lifted" to Earth by Orion STS.

It does seem feasible that maybe the origin of the ancient full body, 'tribal' type patterns - was simply an attempt to replicate the visible venous system of their ancestors?

i have one tatto, symbol is om i did it before, because i feel connection with that sign, but to be truth with healt have nothing to do, becuase from the time i start remove tatoo like one year ago i have pain on kidneys and all my body hurts, now tatoo is almost gone still i need some sesions to leave it behind, becuase i think the metals what was inside make me block in some point and i suffer a lot. I know people before they did tatoos like indian rather natural way not with all that chemicals.

Having often wondered if there may have been some kind of 'racial' memory that underpinned the practice?

Perhaps, although I suspect that nowadays it’s largely a form of decoration more than anything else. Which is fair enough, some people do tattoos some get surgeries, some get earrings or piercings, some go get tanned and some invest in clothing, we all get haircuts.

The tattoo industry is also rather lucrative, some of these artists can make hundreds of thousands a year, so there’s that factor to consider as well.

you know, you could probably speak of certain geometry and universal math that is embedded in the human body, but in my experience when people get a skull tattooed is because it “looks cool”. Or think about the natural principles of nature and growth and and balance and so on, but most people simply think roses are pretty and so that’s how the tattoo comes into being.

...most people simply think roses are pretty and so that’s how the tattoo comes into being.

Yes, though the attraction of inking your favorite Chihuahua onto your thigh or a profound 'life statement' somewhere obvious - does elude me :-)

1599558465138.png

And while some are undoubtedly very 'pretty';

1599559253958.png

There still seems something missing?

Its hard to verbalise actually, now I think about it...

Returning to the original 'Reiki symbol as tattoo' concept however, funnily enough there has been a number of 'otherworldly' dreams where I've discovered my 'skin' adorned, all over, in sigils and glyphs that always seemed to have some great import - though I could never understand the bloody things - which was assumed to just go along with a lifelong attraction to tattoos of the same ilk.

But I have often wondered if perhaps there used to be some significance, or element of 'magick', available to tattooing of that 'type' and whether some individuals used to possess knowledge to 'drive' them?

Returning to the original 'Reiki symbol as tattoo' concept however, funnily enough there has been a number of 'otherworldly' dreams where I've discovered my 'skin' adorned, all over, in sigils and glyphs that always seemed to have some great import - though I could never understand the bloody things - which was assumed to just go along with a lifelong attraction to tattoos of the same ilk.

But I have often wondered if perhaps there used to be some significance, or element of 'magick', available to tattooing of that 'type' and whether some individuals used to possess knowledge to 'drive' them?

When it comes to dreams, the language that our subconscious uses to communicate with our conscious minds is truly evasive, and it’s so particular that even if someone had a dream where the message was on a huge billboard that said “buy that red car”, when analyzed the dream might be about something entirely different. So in your dreams it may mean something entirely separate from physical tattoos, it depends on your concept of them, your feelings while dreaming and what you considered about them growing up and how that have transformed in your mind throughout your life.

it could be about a sense of belonging, or a subconscious desire for recognition, or about a potential you’re not exploiting to the fullest degree... as I said, truly evasive.

And speculating about the idea that former cultures and thought systems might’ve understood a utility in tattooing certain symbols on one’s skin forever, while it may sound cool at first glance, when I think about it, it sounds rather scary.

Imagine having the means to bypass the natural growth and development of abilities and simply being tossed into action, imagine being tasked with driving a bus at age 4.

Although this is purely speculative, I don’t think I know enough to speak to that fact. What I do know is that tattooing today, while it can be an impecable work of art, it doesn’t go deeper than that... it remains a decorative piece of ink on one’s skin these days.

And speculating about the idea that former cultures and thought systems might’ve understood a utility in tattooing certain symbols on one’s skin forever, while it may sound cool at first glance, when I think about it, it sounds rather scary.

Imagine having the means to bypass the natural growth and development of abilities and simply being tossed into action, imagine being tasked with driving a bus at age 4.

Hahaha true,

Although I wasn't really thinking of the innocent or naive being emblazoned with binding runes or some such willy nilly, more something along the lines of an initiatory path practice that progressed towards a level of adeptness - something similar to Scouts earning badges via proficiency.

Again it's hard to elucidate - very much like a memory that I can't remember...

Personally speaking, when I was younger and much more naive I thought about Tattooing as well a couple of times. In hindsight though, I'm happy that I never actually did it. The reasons for contemplating Tattooing were also pretty selfish I soon gathered. There is also the fact that nowadays pretty much everyone seems to think it is "cool" and "hip" to have tattoos. That alone is something that repulses me now, when thinking about it. Generally speaking, I never felt like it is wise or good idea to follow what everyone else is doing just because everyone thinks it is "hip". You could call it a Tattoo "epidemic" actually. Once up on a time, not too long ago, very few people did it (or had it on their bodies), but now it seems like the odds that you meet someone who has a tattoo is pretty high. It is hard to not encounter someone with a tattoo just walking down the street randomly.

Historically speaking, Tattoos seemed to have served a specific purpose, such as branding a criminal person with something everyone in society can see at a glance, in order to be aware and cautious about that criminal person:

"The tattoo became the badge of an adventurous life; it has also been used for centuries to mark prisoners and criminals. "

So ironically enough, something that was once considered (at least in a significant number of societies and time frames in the past) to mark a criminal person, is now "hip", so much so that many people put it on them on a voluntary basis. So you could say that many people in our society today think it is "hip" to brand themselves as criminals. I also noticed that there seems to be a certain automatic reaction that happens unconsciously when you encounter a tattooed person (no matter what the Tattoo is), and that reaction seems to be one of revulsion. Maybe the history of Tattooing and what it stood for (a criminal) is still deeply embedded in us, so much so that we have such unconscious revulsions?

Last edited:
I have a theory about tatoos.
A genetic fault and a scar are sometimes visually similar, but one of them is many times repulsive an another one could be attractive about mating issues.
I can remember even a commercial with a stereotypical male whit a really BIG shark scar, targeting woman.
In a natural environement, scars means success in challenging situations or attacks, hence a biological avantage, while genetic deviations ( lack of a toe, for example) exactly the opposite.

There may be something here with regard to scars and tattoos. In the initial post of the Neural Therapy thread, there's some interesting information about how scars and scar tissue can dysregulate and cause an 'interference field' with the autonomic nervous system (tattoos are mentioned as well):

As Fleckenstein showed, scar tissue can create an abnormal electric signal. In turn this signal is transmitted throughout the rest of your body via the autonomic nervous system. Procaine delivered by direct injection to scars or through other nerves that travel into deeper scars through tiny tubules in the cellular matrix to these areas of bioelectrical disturbance for treatment. As a result, Procaine is capable of eliminating autonomic regulatory dysfunctions. Since the autonomic nervous system is the master controller of the body, Neural Therapy can have a profound impact on your condition and your ability to heal.

In 1940, Ferdinand Huneke observed the first “lightning reaction” or the “Huneke phenomenon,” discovering that a scar can produce an “interference field.” A patient presented to him with a severely painful frozen right shoulder that had been refractory to all kinds of therapies. Huneke injected the shoulder joint directly with Procaine without obtaining any pain relief. However, within several days of the shoulder injection, the patient developed severe itching in a scar in her left lower leg where she had surgery years prior and just before developing the painful shoulder. When she returned, Huneke injected Procaine into the itchy scar in her left leg. Almost immediately she obtained full and painless range of motion in her right shoulder joint. The shoulder problem never recurred. The left leg scar injection had apparently “cured” her shoulder problem. This was the first observation of what Neural Therapy is capable.

What causes interference fields?
  • Infections.
  • Emotional trauma.
  • Physical Trauma from any type of surgery, accidents, deep cuts, biopsies, childbirth, dental procedures, vaccinations, burns, tattoos, etc.
  • You then may wonder how a scar or infection becomes activated to become an interference field. General stress from illness, malnutrition, emotional stress, food allergies, pregnancy, etc. seems to convert an inactive interference field to one that creates a disturbance.

I suspect there's also a connection between these interference fields and some of our programs that play on closed loops. It's like energy gets stuck trying to cycle through and resolve the physical trauma, and possibly an emotional one as well if present at the time of or even just prior the injury. I've heard many people with tattoos get them after significant events, including traumatic events like the death of a loved one. I'm speculating that the specific type of injury involved in getting a tattoo may have the effect of trapping intense emotions. thereby holding onto the emotional event while also not having to feel or process it. The connection to branding here is interesting as well, as that may have a subduing/ anchoring effect that reaches quite deep. Even if a particular injury is mostly physical in nature, I'd wager to say that even then nervous system dysregulation can impact emotional and mental states. Perhaps these 'interference fields' are where the 'openings' exists for attachments, living people like slavers, and emotional programs to anchor?

Personally speaking, when I was younger and much more naive I thought about Tattooing as well a couple of times. In hindsight though, I'm happy that I never actually did it. The reasons for contemplating Tattooing were also pretty selfish I soon gathered. There is also the fact that nowadays pretty much everyone seems to think it is "cool" and "hip" to have tattoos. That alone is something that repulses me now, when thinking about it. Generally speaking, I never felt like it is wise or good idea to follow what everyone else is doing just because everyone thinks it is "hip". You could call it a Tattoo "epidemic" actually. Once up on a time, not too long ago, very few people did it (or had it on their bodies), but now it seems like the odds that you meet someone who has a tattoo is pretty high. It is hard to not encounter someone with a tattoo just walking down the street randomly.

Historically speaking, Tattoos seemed to have served a specific purpose, such as branding a criminal person with something everyone in society can see at a glance, in order to be aware and cautious about that criminal person:

So ironically enough, something that was once considered (at least in a significant number of societies and time frames in the past) to mark a criminal person, is now "hip", so much so that many people put it on them on a voluntary basis. So you could say that many people in our society today think it is "hip" to brand themselves as criminals. I also noticed that there seems to be a certain automatic reaction that happens unconsciously when you encounter a tattooed person (no matter what the Tattoo is), and that reaction seems to be one of revulsion. Maybe the history of Tattooing and what it stood for (a criminal) is still deeply embedded in us, so much so that we have such unconscious revulsions?
I have russian parents. My parents simply would've whipped my ass if I ever got any tattoos. My parents find it disgusting, associate it with garbage and that I'm not being respectful to my body given to me by nature. They say putting a tattoo is equivalent to polluting water with deadly poison or toxic chemicals. You must always keep your body pure.

I've had a very simple reason for never getting or contemplating getting a tattoo, I've been somewhat phobic of needles since a child and could never justify paying someone hundreds, if not thousands of dollars to poke me with one, repeatedly, for hours on end!

I don't agree that tattooing and branding are traditionally connected
I don't have any myself , yet , but did once ask at a tattoo shop how much the FOTCM logo would cost me 😉

I started thinking about all the indigenous skin marking customs
I can think of and did a quick search

1. arctic people
Siberian princess reveals her 2,500 year old tattoos
Siberian Princess reveals her 2,500 year old tattoos
By The Siberian Times reporter
14 August 2012
The ancient mummy of a mysterious young woman, known as the Ukok Princess, is finally returning home to the Altai Republic this month.

Reconstruction of a warrior's tattoos, who was discovered on the same plateau as the 'Princess'. All drawings of tattoos, here and below, were made by Elena Shumakova, Institute of Archeology and Ethnography, Siberian Branch of Russian Academy of Science
She is to be kept in a special mausoleum at the Republican National Museum in capital Gorno-Altaisk, where eventually she will be displayed in a glass sarcophagus to tourists.
For the past 19 years, since her discovery, she was kept mainly at a scientific institute in Novosibirsk, apart from a period in Moscow when her remains were treated by the same scientists who preserve the body of Soviet founder Vladimir Lenin.
To mark the move 'home', The Siberian Times has obtained intricate drawings of her remarkable tattoos, and those of two men, possibly warriors, buried near her on the remote Ukok Plateau, now a UNESCO world cultural and natural heritage site, some 2,500 metres up in the Altai Mountains in a border region close to frontiers of Russia with Mongolia, China and Kazakhstan.
They are all believed to be Pazyryk people - a nomadic people described in the 5th century BC by the Greek historian Herodotus - and the colourful body artwork is seen as the best preserved and most elaborate ancient tattoos anywhere in the world.
To many observers, it is startling how similar they are to modern-day tattoos.
Princess Ukok

Reconstruction of Princess Ukok's tattoos, made by Siberian scientists
The remains of the immaculately dressed 'princess', aged around 25 and preserved for several millennia in the Siberian permafrost, a natural freezer, were discovered in 1993 by Novosibirsk scientist Natalia Polosmak during an archeological expedition.
Buried around her were six horses, saddled and bridled, her spiritual escorts to the next world, and a symbol of her evident status, perhaps more likely a revered folk tale narrator, a healer or a holy woman than an ice princess.
There, too, was a meal of sheep and horse meat and ornaments made from felt, wood, bronze and gold. And a small container of cannabis, say some accounts, along with a stone plate on which were the burned seeds of coriander.
'Compared to all tattoos found by archeologists around the world, those on the mummies of the Pazyryk people are the most complicated, and the most beautiful,' said Dr Polosmak. More ancient tattoos have been found, like the Ice Man found in the Alps - but he only had lines, not the perfect and highly artistic images one can see on the bodies of the Pazyryks.

so much here , too much to quote all
From the preceding remarks, it seems that the issue of death, whether human or animal, cast into symbolic tattooed relief important cultural values by which circumpolar peoples lived their lives and evaluated their experiences. As noted, physical contact with the dead, human or animal, was met with apprehension. This was because the spirits of great animals (e.g.,polar bears, whales) or humans were believed to be imbued with a personhood that was considered to be equivalent or superior to that of the living (Mousalimas 1997: 8; Oosten 1997: 98). As an individual matured, his or her education revolved around the increasing awareness of the natural and supernatural worlds, and the prescriptions and proscriptions for proper behavior within them (Fienup-Riordan 1986: 263). The supernatural was met everywhere in the landscape and places along hunting or travel routes became sacred because they embodied local spirits or manifested the presence of higher divinities including animals and deceased ancestors (Hultkrantz 1965: 308). Therefore, it was here, within the landscape of sea, ice, and frozen tundra, that the everyday, elusive and unobservable experiences, rituals and rites of passage took place circumscribing the identity of the people by linking them to a collectively shared and experienced sense of place (Nuttall 2000: 42). Indeed, humans, animals and everything in the natural world shared the same fundamental spiritual essence (Nuttall 2000: 37), and in this sense “persons” were constituted of multiple personal attributes extending beyond the human domain.

2 African people

“Women considered the tattoos their defining factor in that it made them stand out. Their permanence symbolized a sort of immortality that cannot be attained with removable make-up. It gave women a type of glitz and glamour that nevertheless did not obscure their real beauty and facial features like the cosmetic products of the modern era. It made them pretty without reducing them to consumeristic subjects vying for attention or validation.”

In Algeria, tattoos were a vital form of self-expression or social status. For example, widowed women would get a tattoo between the ear and the chin.

Facial tattoos, meanwhile, were seen as a protective omen against evil or illness. The latter was characterized by the “ahjam,” or “healing,” tattoo, which was inscribed with a knife.

Tattoos were by no means limited to women. In fact, men got tattoos too, though the shapes were smaller and more discreet.

3 Pacific island people

There is still debate over the definitive origins of Polynesian culture and that transfers also, to the notion of tattooing.
One thing that is certain is that the term Polynesian or Polynesia incorporates many tribes including Marquesans, Samoans, Niueans, Tongans, Cook Islanders, Hawaiians, Tahitians and Maori. All of these tribes are genetically linked to the indigenous peoples from parts of Southeast Asia.
Southeast Asia and in turn, Polynesia are sub-regions of Oceania, comprising of a large grouping of over 1000 islands scattered over the central and southern Pacific Ocean, within a triangle that encompasses New Zealand, Hawaii and Easter Island as it’s corners.
The people who inhabit the islands of Polynesia are termed Polynesians and they share many similar traits including language, culture and beliefs.
polynesian triangle

The Polynesian Triangle
However, Polynesian languages may actually vary slightly from each other, and in some cases they actually differ quite significantly. There are some words, which are basically the same throughout all Polynesian languages, reflecting the deepest core of all Polynesian cultures. Moana (ocean) and mana (spiritual force and energy) are two terms that transcend all Polynesian cultures.
These words are rather similar and this reflects how closely related Polynesian cultures are with the ocean, as they believe that the ocean guarantees life.
The Origins of Tattoo Art in Polynesia
Historically there was no writing in Polynesian culture so the Polynesian’s used tattoo art that was full of distinctive signs to express their identity and personality. Tattoos would indicate status in a hierarchical society as well as sexual maturity, genealogy and ones rank within the society. Nearly everyone in ancient Polynesian society was tattooed.
The Polynesian islands that were first first visited were the Marquesas Islands, which were found by European explorers and the Spanish navigator, Alvaro de Mendana de Neira, in 1595. However, the European navigators showed little interest due to the lack of valuable resources.
Captain James Cook (as mentioned in our comprehensive guide to Maori tattooing) was the first navigator trying to explore the aforementioned Polynesian triangle.
In 1771, when James Cook first returned to Tahiti and New Zealand from his first voyage, the word “tattoo” appeared in Europe. He narrated the behaviours of the Polynesian people in his voyage, which he called tattaw. He also brought a Tahitian named Ma’i to Europe and since then tattoo started to become rapidly famous, predominantly because of the tattoos of Ma’i.
Another legend is that European sailors liked the Polynesian tattoos so much that they spread extremely fast in Europe because the sailors emblazoned the tattoos on their own bodies.
The actual tradition of Polynesian tattooing existed more than 2000 years ago, however in the 18th century the Old Testament strictly banned the operation.

and Japan

Tattooing for spiritual and decorative purposes in Japan is thought to extend back to at least the Jomon or Paleothic periods, (approximately 10 000 BC).

During the Yayoi period (300 BC to 300 AD), tattoo designs were observed and remarked upon by Chinese visitors. Such tattoo designs were thought to have spiritual significance as well as functioning as a status symbol.

Latterly, in the Kofun period (300 – 600 AD), tattoos began to assume negative connotations. Instead of being used for ritual or status purposes, tattooed marks began to be placed on criminals as a punishment (this was mirrored in Ancient Rome, where slaves were known to have been tattooed with mottos such as “I am a slave who has run away from his master”).

Until the Edo period (1600 – 1868 AD) the role of tattoos fluctuated. Tattooed marks were still used as punishment, but minor fads for decorative tattoos – some featuring tattoo designs that would be completed only when lover’s hands were joined – also came and went. It was in the Edo period, however, that Japanese decorative tattooing began to develop into the advanced art form that it is today (i.e. throughout the last 400 years).

4. Europe

After different studies on Ötzi, including genetic tests and CAT scans, it was determined that he died at the age of 45 from a wound. At first, it was believed that the geometrical tattoos found on his body, which included assembled lines and one cross, had a spiritual meaning or cultural value important to his community. It was also determined that these tattoos were made by rubbing soot or ashes into a fresh incision, so that the pigment would stay trapped inside once the wound healed. This technique is the same one identified on many other mummies found to use the art of tattooing for decorative and differentiation purposes. However, when they got Ötzi's genome results, they discovered that his many tattoos were more related to a medicinal technique.

Among the many ailments Ötzi suffered from, the ones that seemed the most problematic for his everyday life were gallbladder stones, osteochondrosis, and a debilitating joint disorder. 60 of his tattoos were placed right on the parts where he had the most physical deterioration, mostly his joints. This is crucial to understanding why people in the Copper Age adopted tattooing, but it has also led scientists to believe that other civilizations understood and practiced acupuncture way before the ancient Chinese. The fact that Ötzi’s tattoos are located in places that hurt him could be very strong evidence that the geometric designs were actually indicators of where to poke him to relieve his pain.

back to the arctic... . In circumpolar cultures, and especially on St. Lawrence Island, the primary factor determining sickness was the intrusion of an evil spirit from outside the body into one of the souls of the afflicted individual. These types of malevolent actions of the spirit upon the body were traced to disordered behavior, possession, illness (rheumatism), and sometimes death (Krutak 1998: 58; 1999: 231). Consequently, and as a form of spiritual/medicinal practice, St. Lawrence Islanders tattooed specific joints. As mentioned earlier, joints served as the vehicular “highways” which evil entities traveled to enter the human body and injure it. Thus, joint-tattoos protected individuals by closing down these pathways, since the substances utilized to produce tattoo pigment – urine, soot, and sometimes graphite – were the nexus of dynamic and apotropaic power, preventing an evil spirit from penetrating the human body.

I was sometimes interested in tattoo's because I like some art. I was turned off by the smudged look of old tattoo's and the fact that I sometimes like to change the art in my environment. I didn't think I'd be permanently satisfied by a tattoo and my tastes have changed as I've aged also. If I was going to be stuck with a tattoo forever, I couldn't decide what it would be so ultimately I never got one. Easier to get a T-shirt :lol:

Back
Top Bottom