Does anticipating something reduce its probability?

I have not read the whole thread (Sorry, I hope not adding noise) Nevertheless, regarding the title, which is presented as a question, I'd like to say that I have been pondering about for some time. I can assert through observation certain patterns seem to repeat themselves in my life and as far as I am concerned it is true when I do not anticipate things happen. Certain events appear all of a sudden. Paradoxically, you anticipate that "something" will happen without knowing the way or maybe something from the past returns and so on.

I have been working hard for a couple of weeks, but it was "quite difficult" for many factors such as "inexperience", date, immigrants who seek better opportunities and pay them a misery for what they are "more appetizing" .. .but the main thing is that it is more difficult than it is and it touches what it touches, for my part I was consulting at all the premises in the first place until I was there, and it took me about 4 weeks and although they do not pay me much is enough to throw "To walk the machinery" (pay for damaged computer, printer and study material) I really did not expect them to give it to me, I just arrived before they started to talk about the place, I was sincere in my CV in terms of skills that I did not like Special if not that they should judge my performance ... okay if you do not want to be too sincere and be taken for "private" but I was and I was told that they just had a vacancy so now I'm on it ... I guess They value because I'm not very keen to try not to work, although they do not know that I really have a good time and of course I do not have the "cell phone malaise" nor much fatigue thanks to the fats (although good after being a fisherman and going to wash dishes And do toilet is not very balanced in terms of magnitude of effort) .... but I'm going through the branches.skid anxiety and think or try that really the problems are not yet and what is the worst that can happen? Dying I see it difficult xd ... do not anticipate and seek as you can ... really say be careful some with not try to see an exit to the relative difficulty of not anticipating, I understand not by the way I say dominate it but is that in True we are a programmed and SAS because the other way is much more productive ... and finally say that capte that the intention of this issue is not to seek a quick exit and the prevention seems to me very well ... although taking into account That a small factor alters everything ... like me that I thought the repair of my computer would come cheaper (which imbalance and almost and all "program" haha) would just deliver it to me this month ... until now I have been Frying the eyes with this phone ... at least I have filter and smoke so do not feel sorry for my XD.

luc said:
This question has been on my mind for quite some time: the Cs have advised us to avoid anticipation, in the sense that we shouldn't close our minds to the open nature of the future - many things can happen that we don't know about, and even if we have an idea about general trends, the details can turn out to be radically different than what we anticipated. In a sense, by anticipating, we "restrict the flow" by fixing an outcome in our minds, which can lead to trouble in many ways. Or so I understand it (and experienced it as well).

Now I wonder whether indeed by anticipating, we actually reduce the probability of an event? If true, that would be very tragic because we humans usually tend to anticipate positive outcomes (that make us feel good). But the universe seems to be rather allergic to such "positive" anticipations, and tends to send the proverbial billboards on our heads to show us it doesn't work that way. From personal experience, I have the impression that the good stuff tends to happen when I didn't anticipate it at all and vice-versa. To an extent, this is part of folk wisdom I think: for example, people say if you anticipate this glorious vacation for months, it will likely turn out not so well, or if you dream about meeting the perfect partner and imagine it in every detail, it won't happen etc. Personally, there are many examples like that in my life I think.

So, if true, can we use this somehow? I think one aspect of the Work is to break free from some thought patterns that most humans engage in habitually, like anticipating positive outcomes. So what I do sometimes is that I anticipate a negative outcome and try to observe how it makes me feel. I then try to embrace it, to "be okay with it", kind of: "If this happens, maybe it would be a good lesson. I could handle it. Bring it on!" Of course, it's important to really mean it with my whole being, I can't just pretend it while secretly anticipating another outcome! Just to give an example: I do this sometimes when I deliver some work, and I imagine a scenario where the other is totally dissatisfied with my work and I have to redo everything. Or when I'm doing manual work, I tell myself "Oh, if this screw falls down, that would be fine. I will just pick it up!" instead of going "this must work now without me losing the screw!" or anticipating the finished work. And sure enough, it seems that it often works!

Well, maybe I imagine all that and my perception is skewed by such thinking, and even if it's true, maybe it has more to do with the kind of mindset I get into when doing things. But then again, if we assume that there are planes where thoughts and reality are more closely related than here in 3D, maybe mindsets and future outcomes are very closely related as well?

Also, I think the devil is in the details - I'm not talking for example about imagining terrible and unlikely scenarios such as the death of loved ones or some imaginary catastrophe. As Gurdjieff said, we can even become addicted to such thoughts and negative daydreaming, to bathing in virtual suffering. This is a huge energy drain and should be avoided. I'm more talking about things that make us feel truly uncomfortable, places in our minds we would like to avoid - and then going there consciously, and eventually "becoming okay" with those places.

So, do you think anticipating a specific outcome reduces the probability that it will actually happen? If so, does that mean that not only should we be very careful with what we anticipate, but that we can use this in the context of the Work by consciously and carefully "going through negative outcomes" with our minds, bodies and feelings, embracing them in a "bring it on" kind of spirit? Does that lead to those events becoming less likely - not because we don't want them, but as a side effect of us being prepared mentally and emotionally for them?

Thanks for reading and I hope I made sense.
As I said it is fine ... but the limit is a little diffuse, so I would limit it to use it in situations of risk and if I support it but be careful not to mix it in advance ... that is quite redundant what I said? Maybe but as I set the example of the computer, it is started and most of the time, the whole story is that it fell yogurt when I brought it in my bag despite this "came well sealed" managed to sneak through Of the bag in which it was ... since the hermetic lid was not well) so I said ... a chemical washing and ready, I will send it to the official technical service to avoid "incompetence" since I had a not favorable experience with Fix another computer a long time ago ... the point is that I already thought it was the motherboard and in 97% of cases they repair it ... and I said why not mine? If it even starts sporadically ... it turned out that in the end they have to replace it and the cost is shot about 6 times more ... summer money use it to buy me a berckey filter since here in Chile the fluorine is legal ... I build a bookseller the rest donate it here and I said to wait for the computer, the work to start the machinery ... but the month became 3 and the accounts soared and I without work (how naive I was lol so I am glad of this experience, now it is clear and I can not even guarantee that it will come more or less "well") ... so to foresee that they want to enact is totally allowed, because no! But beware that the smallest factor sends everything to hell! So let's anticipate leaving it in that and anticipate other possibilities and not make a very closed decision like the one you take.
And more than focusing on the foreseeing (the balance is very well already know) to go with the idea in mind of having faith and refusing in the mind to anticipate as they suggested.

It reduces the probability of you being open seeing all the possibilities or ways for something to happen. The something can happen in different ways depending on time situation person that something can be positive or negative however how it comes about is not set in stone

Some great points in this thread. I'd also like to add that sometimes wanting something really badly and "making it happen" can lead to "The Monkey's Paw" situation: we kind of get what we wanted but the actual outcome is a caricature of what we imagined it would be like to have it. I used to think that the discrepancy between the anticipated and actual result was either mine or other's poor assessment skills. That maybe not enough data was analysed and that's what led to the poor outcome. But I guess there's in fact more to it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monkey%27s_Paw
"The Monkey's Paw" is a supernatural short story by author W. W. Jacobs first published in England in 1902.

In the story, three wishes are granted to the owner of the monkey's hand, but the wishes come with an enormous price for interfering with fate.

The short story involves Mr. and Mrs. White and their adult son, Herbert. Sergeant-Major Morris, a friend who served with the British Army in India, introduces them to a mummified monkey's paw. An old fakir placed a spell on the paw, that it would grant three wishes to three separate men. The wishes are granted but always with hellish consequences, as punishment for tampering with fate. Morris tells the Whites of his comrade, who used his third wish to wish for death. Morris, also having had a horrific experience upon using the paw, throws the monkey's paw into the fire but Mr. White retrieves it. Before leaving, Morris warns Mr. White that if he does use the paw, then it will be on his own head.

At Herbert's suggestion, Mr. White wishes for £200 to be used as the final payment on his house, even though he believes he has everything he wants. The next day his son Herbert leaves for work at a local factory. Later that day, word comes to the White home that Herbert has been killed in a terrible machinery accident. Although the employer denies responsibility for the incident, the firm has decided to make a goodwill payment to the family of the deceased. The payment, of £200, exactly matches the amount Herbert suggested his father should wish for.

Ten days after their son's death and a week after the funeral, Mrs. White, almost mad with grief, asks her husband to use the paw to wish Herbert back to life. Reluctantly, he does so. Shortly afterward there is a knock at the door. As Mrs. White fumbles at the locks in an attempt to open the door, Mr. White, who had to identify his son's mutilated body, and who knows the corpse has been buried for more than a week, realizes that the thing outside is not the son he knew and loved, and makes his third wish.

The knocking suddenly stops. Mrs. White opens the door to find no one is there.

The saying: "be careful what you wish for cause you might get it" comes to mind.

The answer to this doesn't has to be that complicated (how to learn and practise non-anticipation), or so I think.

If you Do it because it's the right thing to do. Than we are talking about taking a non-anticipation approach.

Anticipation is always done for the Self. To get something out for it. There is a clear difference between the two.

Doing because it's the right thing to do entails very basic. Teaching, sharing, assisting, and how to best positioning ourselves to take on that role. Though the intentions why we do it my differ. It must be pure of course. (Out of love and understanding) Lot of self-knowledge is necessary. I think that also comes with having a good understanding about the bigger view of creation.

About realizing that Mechanical men leads to suffering and entropy. And that Consciousness leads to knowledge and love. We can only get properly motivated to raise awareness if we know what happens if we don't do it.

So again, Non-anticipation= Doing it because it's the right thing to do. It involves about learning how to carry the mantle of responsibility. I guess what helps in this regards is taking on a role that is of a helping nature to others. Especially about trying to raise awareness in a creative way.

And even if think you can't. Fake it until you get it right. It's a learning process after all.

I have seen more people using the sentence ''Doing it because it's the right thing to do'' And I have been using it also for some time. Though it took some time to get a better understanding of it. Just wanting to say with this, I think it's a good phrase to use that is practical for The Work.

I think a better way to look at this anticipation and non-anticipation perception, having in mind that a form of constriction of the possibilities is made via the belief center, and strong emotional forces attached to a particular view or narrative.

It would be a child in early stages of learning, when we are little, we come with a set of genetic and early epigenetic factors that influence our thinking, but a child is constantly looking and exploration , they see things as a game , and enjoy things that are seemingly small, in reality if you look at a child they do not anticipate things and results at least not as an adult, they may become attached to things and that is primarily the parents but before that there is a great openness and sense of exploration.

As we grow it's not that we loose the ability, it is that we form something like structures in our psyche, programs and filters of information which narrows the possibilities of what we can perceive, and thus affects our view of things.

As we grow we build a framework to judge our experiences, it is the formation of this framework that causes our view to narrow, as a teenager I personally judged things from the point of view of Christianity, and it all came back to a learned system of belief and morality, and this limited the view that there were many more things to people and events that these cannot be judged upon a black and white scale.

The problem of anticipation and non-anticipation from what I know has to do with: Ignorance and our psychic constitution and intellectual framework limitations.

Learning to not anticipate would be like re-learning how not to limit the possible options, but sometimes, for example in the case of depression , where there is an emotional imbalance affecting the whole system of perception , nothing can look any better and we become unable to see the potential of things, thus limiting out actions , motivation and influence internally and externally. If we can't see it we can't act on it. and if we don't feel it, due to a problem of emotional nature we can't see meaning in it.

It seems to me that the creation of these mental boundaries are there to cope with the unknown and this takes care of the emotional instability of insecurity, it seems we needs security and not having it causes stress that is why some people NEED to defend their beliefs, because they need to defend their stability.

Just some thoughts

Felipe4 said:
I think a better way to look at this anticipation and non-anticipation perception, having in mind that a form of constriction of the possibilities is made via the belief center, and strong emotional forces attached to a particular view or narrative.[..]

Quoting your whole post is a must here for complete understanding, but just for sake of effectiveness I shortened, to make my case:

What if there is a more enabling life? Where you could go, a life you could experience.. What if all the possibilities that are fully accessible, are laid out on the table of infinite timelines. For You, as a gift.
You only have to believe those lives of Yours in those more livable timelines exist and you have to will to go there..
Others you love will be there via quantum tunneling, so don't worry about going alone. The potentially more enabling lives that are reachable for you and trust me, those possibilities are well-well beyond what you currently dare to think of [!!], until this point in your reading. Lets remain reasonable: we don't want to go to realities/timelines, where the whole game-board is wrecked and destroyed by a planetary cataclysm. We just want a simple, more fulfilling life that's rich in lesson learning opportunities.

Lets imagine, You are a serious, super-determined, absolutely fanatical, professional Go or chess player with Unshakeable Innate Total Faith and only the moves on the boards of world-wide competitions determine your life - because the prizes, salary and bonuses are your sole livelihood - , then it is safe to assume that ALL ON-BOARD MOVES & POSSIBILITIES ARE LAID OUT FOR YOU IN EXISTENCE: Past, present, future. ** Are You such a Pro in your life now? **

For the sake of Your Career .. let's hope that you don't believe - erroneously - that you can't place your king on white squares on the board, because "Oh My God!"-its just impossible [why?] or "Oh, Noo Waay!"-you will never be able to do it - for any reason you ridiculously can think of - in your constricted thinking now.

So my expectation for you is the following: In your professional life, as a Go player, or chess master, all you want to do is become a successful star receiving the salary and bonuses that a star player is entitled to. Think of the salary and undisclosed bonuses of star football players. Just to get the picture.

People think, that because the evil government and corporate law and super rich Bilderbergs chaining ordinary people into mind-numbing cubicle jobs, its not possible to live the life they want. The CIA soft-killing anybody they deem dangerous and because of 4thD STS total Matrix Control of this reality, insert your favorite constriction here, it is Not Possible to Go Where You Want: -my condolences-, but you believe your life simply CANNOT BE as livable as you want.

In this reality it can't be. You are right.

But of course you dream of being magnitudes more powerful about simple things. - "Jesus! I just want a life where I have a lot more reach and possibilities and power and control of mere basics really!"

But all the above restrictions are not allowing you to think that it is possible to go to a bit better reality, then step over into a further one and finally reach a reality, where those "all powerful" restrictions are less.

Could it be that those realities exists and are reachable for you. How?

Lets take the above chess, Go board example: all possible steps are laid out for you. The bad - that is now and worse [where you don't wanna go, like Hillary M.A.D.] ] and of course - reasonably! - all the good and ideal and powerful possibilities are laid out on the "Board of Multi-Directional Timelines & Realities" and so you have in all existence the [again reasonably] enabling and very far reaching realizable possibilities: several more FOTCM communities with super serious facilities and many many bi-monthly Knowledge & Being workshops world-wide, Stem Cell Regeneration Spa's, insert your own goal here.. all laid out.. all possible. Despite current ISIS and Pentagon Rogue Elements disabling & constricting factors, despite all that, all reasonable realities listed above and your additions along the same rules are possible.

Only You think constricted that the reality where you wanna go, THE LIFE you wanna live doesn't exist: It's not possible! Because of the Ice Age approaching, closing windows of opportunities, killing everything in all dimensions and timelines. Which of course is a serious limiting factor, because you cannot imagine that there are several timelines, numerous possibilities, where an Ice Age or US Economy Collapse can be / are mitigated where you don't have to endure the limiting factors of all above negatives. Instead live a more livable life, still full of lessons offered, where the really bad is so mitigated that your possibilities significantly increase. Beyond current constrictions, beyond the restrictions that you live under now.

Obediently keep your head under the boots of The Corporate Hypnotic Belief System, until you realize, you can reach those more potent, more enabling, more powerful realities, simply because they exist. By removing your disbelief and activating and placing weight on Faith in your mind instead. Accepting that despite all the unbelievable odds, you have a much better chance than previously thought, if you throw away your constricted beliefs about all the whys its not possible. HOW??

You believe. You find a target, You aim: I'm using good news about real scientific discoveries, large constructions of beneficial infrastructures. Then I think it further, imagining how our world would be if more of these facilities were built and those scientific discoveries were spread all around the world in clinics to everyone. Pick You Favorites! Then you assertively put weight on Faith in your mind and Will yourself toward those realities, believing they exist in the multiverse in form of accessible timelines. If you love inspiring white papers, how about one with the title of "Theory of Access and SuperPotential" ?

(Session 24 November 1994)
Each individual possesses all of creation within their minds. Now, contemplate for a moment. Each soul is all powerful and can create or destroy all existence if know how. You and us and all others are interconnected by our mutual possession of all there is. You may create alternative universes if you wish and dwell within. You are all a duplicate of the universe within which you dwell. Your mind represents all that exists. It is "fun" to see how much you can access.

Q: (L) It's fun for who to see how much we can access?

A: All. Challenges are fun. Where do you think the limit of your mind is?

Q: (L) Where?

A: We asked you.

Q: (L) Well, I guess there is no limit.

A: If there is no limit, then what is the difference between your own mind and everything else?

Q: (L) Well, I guess there is no difference if all is ultimately one.

A: Right. And when two things each have absolutely no limits, they are precisely the same thing.

[quote: bjorn]think the right ''wait and see'' attitude ties in with understanding that creation is a school. Everything that might happen are just lessons, because every situation in it's essence is just that. An opportunity to learn. In the ultimate sense, there is no right or wrong. So don't enforce your will on creation what should happen or not. Just ''Wait and See'' and take everything as a lesson.

To just accept what is at the moment, appreciate it as it is at the moment, and have Faith that the universe and things will happen the way they are supposed to happen, without placing any anticipations on how that will be.

I think it does by going through
Anticipation means that you do not have pure Faith in the universe which blocks Creativity. With anticipation you try to enforce your own will on creation.

If you have Pure faith in the Universe. Everything should go like intented because it will allow the energies of Creativity to breath and flourish through you.

So whetever you try to create with anticipation, it's not part of Creativity. It's part of Mechanical men / even Entropy.

A: Happy-go-lucky attitude helps. As you were before.

If you are in peace with the intentions of creation. You're kind of happy-go-lucky? But to understand the intentions of creation. Sufficient self-knowledge and outer knowledge is required.

In short, you can only create Creativity if you are able to BE.

If you have Pure Faith in the universe everything will go like intented.

Because than you will approach creation with the Pure intent to learn. Every situation is just an opportunity to learn, nothing more.

But you have to reach a certain threshold to understand this fully. You have to reach a certain threshold to be in peace with this absolute truth. Only than can you have Pure Faith and say no to anticipation.

OSIT.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it feels very demanding.

I think the right ''wait and see'' attitude ties in with understanding that creation is a school. Everything that might happen are just lessons, because every situation in it's essence is just that. An opportunity to learn. In the ultimate sense, there is no right or wrong. So don't enforce your will on creation what should happen or not. Just ''Wait and See'' and take everything as a lesson.

To just accept what is at the moment, appreciate it as it is at the moment, and have Faith that the universe and things will happen the way they are supposed to happen, without placing any anticipations on how that will be.

I think it does by going through the sessions. But it depends on what you try to create. For Creativity or Entropy. Listen me out.

Anticipation means that you do not have pure Faith in the universe which blocks Creativity. With anticipation you try to enforce your own will on creation.

If you have Pure faith in the Universe. Everything should go like intented because it will allow the energies of Creativity to breath and flourish through you.

So whetever you try to create with anticipation, it's not part of Creativity. It's part of Mechanical men / even Entropy.

If you are in peace with the intentions of creation. You're kind of happy-go-lucky? But to understand the intentions of creation. Sufficient self-knowledge and outer knowledge is required.

Because than you will approach creation with the Pure intent to learn. Every situation is just an opportunity to learn, nothing more.

But you have to reach a certain threshold to understand this fully. You have to reach a certain threshold to be in peace with this absolute truth. Only than can you have Pure Faith and say no to anticipation.

OSIT.[/QUOTE]
[quote author= naorma]I agree to mareks statement. The energy in anticipation very often feels like being greedy, while foreseeing is mostly with the status of "wait and see".

I think the right ''wait and see'' attitude ties in with understanding that creation is a school. Everything that might happen are just lessons, because every situation in it's essence is just that. An opportunity to learn. In the ultimate sense, there is no right or wrong. So don't enforce your will on creation what should happen or not. Just ''Wait and See'' and take everything as a lesson.

[quote author= luc]So, do you think anticipating a specific outcome reduces the probability that it will actually happen?[/quote]

I think it does by going through the sessions. But it depends on what you try to create. For Creativity or Entropy. Listen me out.

OSIT.[/QUOTE]

As a musician I found this post very helpful. I’ve found it challenging to find the line between getting my music heard and shared,
[quote author= naorma]I agree to mareks statement. The energy in anticipation very often feels like being greedy, while foreseeing is mostly with the status of "wait and see".

[quote author= luc]So, do you think anticipating a specific outcome reduces the probability that it will actually happen?[/quote]

OSIT.[/QUOTE]

As a musician I found this post very helpful. I’ve found it challenging to find the line between getting my music heard and shared, and being a “successful musician”. I suppose it comes down to my personal definition of success. I consider being able to pursue recording and performing, and having the ability to do so (the facility to record and an audience who wants to listen) as success. Other people might consider fame and fortune to be success. I don’t much care about fame or fortune.

I do hope for an audience to generate a positive feedback loop that can only happen, when there’s action and reaction, and vibration of collective emotion. So I endeavor to create that situation, and that for me would be terrific success. But I get tripped up with where this becomes a service to myself.
The observations made by Bjorn here are of immense help to adjusting my orientation to this balance. So a huge thank you!

OSIT.[/QUOTE]

As a musician I found this post very helpful. I’ve found it challenging to find the line between getting my music heard and shared, and being a “successful musician”. I suppose it comes down to my personal definition of success. I consider being able to pursue recording and performing, and having the ability to do so (the facility to record and an audience who wants to listen) as success. Other people might consider fame and fortune to be success. I don’t much care about fame or fortune.

I do hope for an audience to generate a positive feedback loop that can only happen, when there’s action and reaction, and vibration of collective emotion. So I endeavor to create that situation, and that for me would be terrific success. But I get tripped up with where this becomes a service to myself.

The observations made by Bjorn here are of immense help to adjusting my orientation to this balance. So a huge thank you!

Please excuse the above mess. I tried to quote and it backfired terribly! :-/ Could someone perhaps ask a moderator to remove it?

What I wished to say was:

As a musician I found the post by Bjorn on Page 1 of this thread very helpful. I’ve found it challenging to find the line between getting my music heard and shared, and being a “successful musician”. I suppose it comes down to my personal definition of success. I consider being able to pursue recording and performing, and having the ability to do so (the facility to record and an audience who wants to listen) as success. Other people might consider fame and fortune to be success. I don’t much care about fame or fortune.

Been thinking about all this lately because no matter how hard I try, I can't shake the feeling/observation that there is something to the idea that anticipation somehow influences outcomes. Yes, it's partly a psychological issue on how to deal with the world effectively, but the Cs also said it's important who you are (i.e. what you do), and also what you see! This seems to imply that the act of seeing, of observing itself might be important. And perhaps this doesn't only mean seeing/observing in the sense of paying attention to what's going on in the world, but also what we see in the future, how we deal with possibilities and whether we are emotionally attached to certain outcomes. After all, the Cs also said we shouldn't anticipate.

It almost seems as if the universe kind of adapts to our internal states in a sense, as if it cosntantly tried to teach us a lesson about non-anticipation if we get too emotionally attached to outcomes or we anticipate too much (and lower our field of vision that way). And boom - the opposite or something unexpected happens which forces our awareness out of our little anticipation bubble. It's kind of New Age "create your own reality" turned upside down: you do create your own reality, but you get the exact opposite of what your lower desires want!

Perhaps this is also connected to the STS/STO orientation - the universe tries to teach us these lessons about keeping our vision as open as possible and not anticipating, but we can sort of cheat it. This would be the STS path of supreme emotional anticipation, i.e. wishful thinking, and bending reality to our will. In that mode, I can anticipate an outcome that I like (wishful thinking) and then use supreme and ever increasing force, lies and deception to make it happen and to keep that subjective reality going. But I must go to ever more extremes to fight the universe/reality/the natural order. Seems like the universe allows this sort of thing (free will) to both open a path for STS to advance and to increase overall learning for all.

Not to get too woo-woo here, but in the book "Biocentrism" by Robert Lanza, he talks about some of the weirdness of quantum physics (if anything, the book is a good layman's introduction to quantum physics, as far as I can tell). This passage I found interesting with regard to the above observations:

Again and again, observations have consistently confirmed the observer-dependent effects of quantum theory. In the past decade, physicists at the National Institute of Standards and Technology have carried out an experiment that, in the quantum world, is the equivalent to demonstrating that a watched pot doesn't boil. "It seems," said Peter Coveney, a researcher there, "that the act of looking at an atom prevents it from changing." (Theoretically, if a nuclear bomb were watched intently enough, it would not explode, that is, if you could keep checking its atoms every million trillionth of a second. This is yet another experiment that supports the theory that the structure of the physical world, and of small units of matter and energy in particular, are influenced by human observation.)

In the last couple of decades, quantum theorists have shown, in principle, that an atom cannot change its energy state as long as it is being continuously observed. So, now, to test this concept, the group of laser experimentalists at NIST held a cluster of positively charged beryllium ions, the water so to speak, in a fixed position using a magnetic field, the kettle. They applied heat to the kettle in the form of a radio-frequency field that would boost the atoms from a lower to a higher energy state. This transition generally takes about a quarter of a second. However, when the researches kept checking the atoms every four milliseconds with a brief pulse of light from a laser, the atoms never made it to the higher energy state, despite the force driving them toward it. It would seem that the process of measurement gives the atoms "a little nudge," forcing them back down to the lower energy state - in effect, resetting the system to zero.

Well, there is always the danger to jump too fast from some quantum weirdness to "praising the Lord", as Russell Brand put it :-D. But given the strange role information seems to play in these quantum phenomena, and the fact that they seem to transcend even time and space and causality, perhaps there is more to this "observation" business than we currently understand? Perhaps the way we look at the unseen world of possibilities is connected to past, present and future in some kind of feedback loop?

On a more practical level, I found the concept of non-anticipation extremely useful in day to day life. It's damn difficult though, but whenever I succeed to fight off emotional attachment to certain outcomes, my whole vision and emotional makeup seems to change, like a rocking boat on a stormy see getting back into still waters. And strangely enough, the outcomes seem to get better too. One trick that works well for me is to deliberately anticipate a few outcomes I would not like - it's kind of a reset of my emotional attachments and gets me back into a more stoic state of mind.

I would like to add a personal experience that is similar to the one described by Laura in one of the casiopaeans sections that largely revolved around neurofeedback, and that has to do with her windows solitaire game, she said if I can remember well that she had many "blacks" came out and it was not that she wanted exactly that, but that she liked it and she was enjoying the matter ... my case was with some dice that a pension companion brought, it was three and the game consisted of taking a trio of Any number ... after a while I had the suspicion that apparently something went out of the ordinary in my case and it was that I had too many trios in comparison to my other 3 comrades who were playing, I took the probability that it was given a trio and turned out to be 1 in 216 times (although this was adjusted to an average of 5 trios every 216 times for all participans) ... my case was different since I took between 14 and 15 trios in addition to many duos the times I repeated the exercise and instead of not being able to believe it or being uy pending the result I was really having fun as a children with the situation and very curious at the same time ... I repeated the exercise the next day, now with a more anticipatory attitude and the trios dropped to an average of 4 to 5 ... add I had recently read the recommended books on the subject of neurofeedback and really as many my head aches in different areas, so as the cassiopaeos said cherries in my case I did not constrict the energy and neurofeedback maybe influenced the game.
to end add my current thoughts regarding the anticipation and I think that in many cases we would like it to be easier to "cleanse" of it, especially when you just run into the issue and you see it as one of the "stains" more dirty than we have in our programming, but this facility to get rid of it is not the case and that we have to accept it without more, we are really limited in many aspects, I think what we can do and many here already understand it much better than me and it is to acquire knowledge that perfects all the skills, to be very careful with our habits and so you gradually get rid of the anticipation and other things because you grow and see at least at times its uselessness and if you add your acquired experience and confidence, knowledge, being in the here and now in addition to being clear that the lessons will not do not go down even more ... the important thing is to pay attention to the things we must do and in time the anti cipacion and other things cease ...it is a matter of looking each year how much you have grown.
I am sorry if I am not very practical in this last part ... but as many things are learned with experience and time.

This is an awesome thread. Thank you all.

To: know_thyself: FWIW, if it makes you feel better, Rumsfeld did not originate that quote/idea. He stole it! (Is that a surprise?) He was awkwardly paraphrasing Werner Erhard who said at least a dozen years earlier: There's what you know; what you know you don't know; and what you don't know that you don't know.

The catch is that as soon as you start anticipating, you are no longer creating...acting

On a more practical level, I found the concept of non-anticipation extremely useful in day to day life. It's damn difficult though, but whenever I succeed to fight off emotional attachment to certain outcomes, my whole vision and emotional makeup seems to change, like a rocking boat on a stormy see getting back into still waters. And strangely enough, the outcomes seem to get better too. One trick that works well for me is to deliberately anticipate a few outcomes I would not like - it's kind of a reset of my emotional attachments and gets me back into a more stoic state of mind.

I have noticed the same also. And this reminded me of one more situation.

Parents are always worried about their children. They always want to protect them. It is a normal thing.
When children go somewhere for the first time or is doing something new parents and especially mothers think that something bad will happen to them.
For example, if a child is going in water during summer and parent is not with him, his mother will be upset all the time that he could drown in the water. She is anticipating this and she is involving her emotions at this, she is afraid, worried.
Maybe by anticipating this unwanting outcome, she is actually making more difficult that to happen, she is protecting her child.

Maybe this is a little different but I think that it has the same essence.

I have noticed the same also. And this reminded me of one more situation.

Parents are always worried about their children. They always want to protect them. It is a normal thing.
When children go somewhere for the first time or is doing something new parents and especially mothers think that something bad will happen to them.
For example, if a child is going in water during summer and parent is not with him, his mother will be upset all the time that he could drown in the water. She is anticipating this and she is involving her emotions at this, she is afraid, worried.
Maybe by anticipating this unwanting outcome, she is actually making more difficult that to happen, she is protecting her child.

Maybe this is a little different but I think that it has the same essence.

This reminds me of the proverb "Hope for the best and prepare for the worst". Maybe the first part could be dropped and just say "Prepare for (anticipate) the worst". :-)

Back
Top Bottom