Dutch general election

She is also one of 13 members of the Global preparedness monitoring board of the WHO.
The mandate of the GPMB is to apprise key policymakers and the world of system-wide progress towards increased preparedness and response capacity for disease outbreaks and other emergencies with health consequences. It publishes an annual overview of the state of the world’s preparedness, monitoring progress, calling for leaders to take urgent action. Read the 2020 report, A World In Disorder.
COVID-19 has taken advantage of a world in disorder, causing catastrophic health, social, and economic consequences and irreparable harm to humanity. This will not be the last global health emergency. The world simply cannot afford to be unprepared again, warns the Global Preparedness Monitoring Board in its second report ‘A World in Disorder.’
Holland has it all covered. (s)

Last edited:
Preliminary analysis of the results: De kiezer heeft gesproken: vijf conclusies over de verkiezingsuitslag

'The divide is widening'
The electorate has spoken: five conclusions about the election results

1 hour 43 minutes ago

ANP-349694738.jpg

Political scientist André Krouwel

After a night and a day of counting votes, the election results are pretty much clear. What stands out? We asked political scientist André Krouwel, associate professor at the Vrije Universiteit and founder of the Kieskompas. These are five things we can conclude.

1. The current government policy is not punished

The Rutte III cabinet, consisting of VVD, CDA, D66 and ChristenUnie, had 76 seats when it took office. The departure of VVD MP Wybren van Haga in October 2019 made it 75. Two months ago the full cabinet resigned because of the benefits scandal. Yet the voter keeps faith in the government, if you look at the preliminary results of the elections:

The VVD grows from 32 seats to 35 seats.
D66 gains five and goes from 19 to 24 seats.
The CDA loses four seats and goes from 19 to 15.
ChristenUnie remains stable: once again it ends up with 5 seats.

Taken together, the most recent cabinet ends up with 79 seats, three more than in 2017.

"Two of the four parties have been rewarded," says political scientist Andre Krouwel. "The liberal flotilla. The Christian bloc has been punished. This is partly due to Prime Minister Rutte himself, who has been in the picture a lot in press conferences, explaining how he is going to solve things. For the difficulties, he referred to Minister De Jonge. Our 'teflon prime minister' let the problems slide away off him."

The cabinet was not punished, Krouwel argues. "But one party has been, the CDA. They will start to reconsider. If the CDA no longer wants to govern, Rutte will have a problem. Because then who will do it? CDA leader Hoekstra is a key figure for the manageability of this country."

2. The right is advancing

Two parties that are considered to be on the left have been hit hard. The SP went from 14 to 9 seats, GroenLinks from 14 to 7. The PvdA remained stable with 9 seats, the Party for the Animals went from 5 to 6 seats. Finally, BIJ1, which presents itself primarily by putting racism on the agenda, obtains one seat in the House.

On the other hand, there is considerable growth among right-wing populist parties. While PVV drops from 20 to 17, Forum voor Democratie (FvD) rises from 2 to 8 seats and the new party JA21 enters the House with four seats. Together, these parties add up to 29 seats, seven more than in 2017.

André Krouwel calls the right-wing parties the big winners of this election. "The explanation is, that there was a high turnout. People who are against the corona measures have been mobilized. In the case of Forum for Democracy, these are probably many young people. FvD leader Baudet pitched everything on corona and made big gains as a result."

With 29 seats added up, they represent 20 percent of the voters, but does that help anyone? Krouwel does not expect any of these parties to enter a government.

3. The divide between city and countryside is growing

This election result makes it clear to Krouwel that two types of Netherlands are emerging. "They don't understand each other very well anymore. Twenty percent of the population no longer trusts the system. There is a huge gap between the city and the countryside, and that is not good. It used to be the CDA and PvdA that brought people together, who could connect groups."

Christian parties and social democratic people's parties are losing ground. "We are going to regret that. We need parties that can bind voters for decades. Parties have to be embedded in society. That's the only way we're going to solve the problems, so this is not a positive prospect. Rutte is a manager, he is good at that, but the train is moving and we have lost some carriages. It's rattling tremendously at the rear."

4. The political landscape is splintering

The political landscape has not been so fragmented in a long time. Four new parties are joining: JA21, Volt, Bij1 and the BoerBurgerBeweging. In total there will be 17 parties in the Lower House. That is the same number as in the record year of 1918 when universal suffrage was first introduced.

There were ten newcomers in this year. Four years later they disappeared again, after a number of party mergers.

The Netherlands has a system where this is possible, Krouwel explains. "There is no electoral threshold and the whole country is one electoral district. For one seat, you need 0.67 percent of the vote. That's not very much."

Even now, it appears that the Netherlands "likes" all these new parties. "There is a huge growth of all kinds of parties trying, but most of them disappear again. A handful of parties become very small."

5. Politics is thriving: turnout is higher than in 2017 despite corona

According to an exit poll by Ipsos commissioned by the NOS, the turnout in the elections will be 82.6 percent. This would make it the highest turnout since 1986, when almost 86 percent of those entitled to vote showed up.

Krouwel was nevertheless somewhat surprised by the high turnout. "There is no evidence for it yet, but it seems that a kind of 'mobilization effect' has been created, especially by Forum [voor Democratie] and D66. That people really think: it is important that I participate. The possible explanation is that the corona crisis has been politicized in every possible way. 20 percent drop out and are angry and 80 percent say, we will continue with these parties."

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

By definition, elections can't be free and fair when democracy has effectively been suspended by unconstitutional 'lockdown laws' (which no one voted for via either electoral mandate or referendum), in the name of terrorizing everyone over a non-existent 'public health emergency', but it'll still be interesting to see how far anti-lockdown parties get in challenging the 'Corona World Order'.
Yeah, well said!
I watched the first part of De Jensen Show where Thierry Baudet was a guest and this topic was brought up.
I also watched the second part, and it's interesting that Baudet is not able to imagine that politicians can be evil, i.e. psychopaths in power, e.g. willing to deliberately destroy small businesses. Maybe he'll learn this along the way, but that's definitely a blind spot.

Regarding the election 'results': We are to believe that VVD/Rutte who angered farmers, business owners, artists, parents, and the list goes on... received this many votes? And that Kaag of the party D666, who suddenly emerged from the shadows and had a few TV appearances, became so popular that got her party the majority of votes? I've checked the results in some municipalities and mostly everywhere it's the same: VVD and D666 on top.

FvD did get the most added seats compared to the other parties, but I think their votes have likely been stolen, and maybe some from other parties as well in order to increase the votes (plus some extra from the deceased, etc.) for the PTB's favorable parties willing to carry out their nefarious plans. Jensen called it a month ago: "Be aware: Proof of election fraud is IF this is the news on March 17th: 'Despite a horrible debate, hated standpoints and unpopular personality, Kaag did muuuuch better than previously thought!'" Yep. And it was so cringey seeing her stand on a table celebrating her party's win, I bet she was probably told to do so to try to seem 'human'.

Regarding fraud, I think what the C's said below applies to this election as well:

A: It is very bad juju for the forces of darkness to take over against the free will of the majority.

I thought I'd also mention the following: The other day I called a shop to make an appointment, but she told me that it wasn't needed and that I can come any time I want. This is the first shop I called that basically didn't care about the Covid-19 measures. When I went there today, one employee didn't have her mask on and the other had her mask below her nose. I overheard them talking with a customer who questioned their shop policy and they said that they do things that Rutte wouldn't approve of and then they all laughed. That was pretty nice!

I also watched the second part, and it's interesting that Baudet is not able to imagine that politicians can be evil, i.e. psychopaths in power, e.g. willing to deliberately destroy small businesses. Maybe he'll learn this along the way, but that's definitely a blind spot.
I watched that part as well, and noticed that his body-language expressed his resistance to this idea, crossing his arms, a certain expression on his face I had never seen before, shifting in his seat. I do think that Jensen didn't help much. Had he explained evil in a more objective and calm manner Baudet might have been more open to the idea. I was also thinking that perhaps he just didn't want to go there, because he might put himself in danger if he did? Unless he doesn't want to learn from the assassination of Pim Fortuyn.

I think it's good that you added that comment about the protests, Niall, because I for one don't believe that only 6% of the Dutch population see what is going on. AFAIK there are a lot of very unhappy small entrepreneurs.

Can Dutch editors check this for me please:

Is my presentation of what happened accurate? If you've anything to add or correct, go for it.
There's a picture doing the rounds on SM that shows the party after the election win. People kissing and hugging, no masks, beers in hand. Might be good to stick that in the article too.

I just read you additional comments, Niall, and I think the article is much better now. I added a comment about the so-called implosion of Baudet's party as I think he was framed and as Oxajil said above Baudet can't or won't stare evil in the face.

It looks great to me, Niall, and great added comment, Mariama! I wouldn't be surprised if the JA21 party was rewarded with seats, because they turned against Baudet and his party by saying there were racist comments made during a meeting.

There's a picture doing the rounds on SM that shows the party after the election win. People kissing and hugging, no masks, beers in hand. Might be good to stick that in the article too.
Do you mean this one (clip) of Baudet's party? The MSM criticized it, but he responded on Twitter with "And we're still alive! It's a miracle!".

Back
Top Bottom