Earthquakes around the world

Seems like Indonesia was hit pretty badly today.

Indonesia: 10 earthquakes all from 4.4 to 4.9 magnitude.

More so, if we follow the fault line to the east:

Solomon Islands: 4 earthquakes from 4.6 to 4.8 magnitude.

Tonga: 4 earthquakes; one 4.6, one 4.9 magnitude and in the southern region; 2 of 5.8 magnitude each!

Something shook the heck of that fault line today! Earthquakes are common there but it's the first time I see them all so high at the same time.

Source: RSOE - Emergency and Disaster Information Service

Woah!

There's a LOT of strong activity going on again near yesterday's area. And it seems so far to be quite a lot more intense in terms of magnitude.

Here's what I am witnessing on the RSOE EDIS so far off the day:

Tonga (north): One 5.1 mag; one 5.2 mag; and two 5.5 mag.

New Zealand: Two 6.0 mag. (Reported on SOTT as well.)

Northern Mariana Islands: One 6.6 mag. with the Pagan volcano on alert.

Phillipines: One 4.9 mag; one 5.6 mag; one 6.0 mag. and one 6.2 mag. (The 6.2 one is reported on SOTT as well.)

Yesterday it went to 4.4 to 5.8 and today from 5.2 to 6.6.

Interesting...

JayMark said:
Woah!

There's a LOT of strong activity going on again near yesterday's area. And it seems so far to be quite a lot more intense in terms of magnitude.

Here's what I am witnessing on the RSOE EDIS so far off the day:

Tonga (north): One 5.1 mag; one 5.2 mag; and two 5.5 mag.

New Zealand: Two 6.0 mag. (Reported on SOTT as well.)

Northern Mariana Islands: One 6.6 mag. with the Pagan volcano on alert.

Phillipines: One 4.9 mag; one 5.6 mag; one 6.0 mag. and one 6.2 mag. (The 6.2 one is reported on SOTT as well.)

Yesterday it went to 4.4 to 5.8 and today from 5.2 to 6.6.

Interesting...

Indeed... We can suspect a real connexion between earthquakes (or volcanism as well) and cosmic energy...

http://www.ilmessaggero.it/roma/cronaca/terremoto_tivoli_roma_epicentro/notizie/252258.shtml

An Earthquake in Italy a few hours ago (16 February), near Rome, 10:16 p.m, 4.8 magnitude. A few crack on a few buildings, or so it seems. The epicenter was on Mounts Ernici-Simbruini.

For a few minutes the telephone lines have been off. Residents heard a loud boom.

[Edit: added a line]

Kamchatka is steaming up:

_http://english.ruvr.ru/2013_02_22/Kamchatka-volcanoes-on-orange-alert-level/

Another earthquake of 6.0 magnitude has hit Northern California just a few hours ago.

U.S. Geological Survey map of 6.0 earthquake. (USGS)

AMERICAN CANYON (CBS SF) — A magnitude 6.0 earthquake rocked the San Francisco Bay Area early Sunday morning, centered in the Napa County town of American Canyon, causing widespread power outages in Napa and Sonoma, causing moderate damage across the region, significantly damaging historic buildings in downtown Napa, and forcing the CHP to close ramps on a major highway.

At least 36 aftershocks were recorded following the earthquake, the largest quake to hit the Bay Area since the 6.9 magnitude quake hit Loma Prieta nearly 25 years ago. Initial reports had the earthquake measuring 6.1 magnitude.

Napa City Councilmember Peter Mott reports the library and the historic Chinese laundry building suffered significant damage, and bricks and glass are scattered across downtown sidewalks on Second and Third Streets.

At least two homes in Napa were on fire. Water mains in residential areas are broken, but it’s not clear how bad the damage from flooding is.

Several injuries are reported in Napa because of broken glass.

Jessica Turner, from the U.S. Geological Survey, reports aftershocks of up to 5.0 are likely in the next week. There is only a 5 percent chance of a stronger quake during the next week.

As the first major earthquake to hit the Bay Area in the age of smartphones and social media, photos and damage reports quickly surfaced moments after the quake.

The CHP closed State Road 37 from Sonoma Blvd to Fairgrounds because of possible roadway damage.

Callers to KCBS Radio reported a significant shaking motion in the city of Napa, lasting for an extended time.

KCBS’ Todd Smoot reports a Safeway store in Sonoma has no power, and all employees evacuated the store while firefighters checked inside. The shaking was especially strong there because of the nature of the land being on alluvial gravel, sand and silt deposits.

In Contra Costa County, the quake was felt as a long, rolling, shaking motion with several peaks of movement lasting for an extended time.

People as far away as the South Bay and Davis reported being woken up by the quake, which was centered 6.7 miles beneath Earth’s surface.

Within minutes, more than 600 people had commented on our initial Facebook post about the quake.
“EVERYONE in Petaluma is up and chatting on Facebook. We definitely felt it!” said Ann Popovic.

“(It) Scared me. I’m still scared. Lasted a really LONG time,” said Valerie Gunnell on Facebook.

“Woke up south San Jose,” said Brianne Laiwa.

“Now that was a real earthquake,” exclaimed San Francisco Sunset district resident Matt Wandell.

As you might imagine, the rumbling set off an explosion of tweets.
_http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2014/08/24/6-1-earthquake-rocks-san-francisco-bay-area-epicenter-in-solano-countys-american-canyon-quake-usgs/

Arwenn said:
Another earthquake of 6.0 magnitude has hit Northern California just a few hours ago.

I'm pretty close to the epicenter relatively speaking and it didn't wake me up nor did feel a thing but certainly a 6.0 has a lot of energy and it did do damage as would be expected with this magnitude.
Glad it wasn't any more powerful.
Hope the other California forum peeps are ok.

domi said:
Arwenn said:

I'm pretty close to the epicenter relatively speaking and it didn't wake me up nor did feel a thing but certainly a 6.0 has a lot of energy and it did do damage as would be expected with this magnitude.

I live in the South Bay about 70 miles from the epicenter and while I slept through the whole thing, some of my neighbors were woken up. No damage here.

Earthquakes in Iceland at vulcano Bárðarbunga et al:

Overview of seismic events in August 2014
24th August 2014 19:00 - from geoscientist on duty
Until 19:00 today, 24. August, around 1.300 earthquakes have been automatically detected under northwestern Vatnajökull. The vast majority is around the northernmost tip of the dike intrusion at Dyngjujökull.

The tip of the earthquake cluster has migrated throughout the night and today to 4 km north of Dyngjujökull. The propagation of the intrusion was slower than yesterday.

More than 20 events at the tip of the intrusion were stronger than M3, four of them M4-M4.3. Event depths are still around 5-12 km, no sign of upwards migration or low frequent tremor.Following the M5.3 and M5.1 earthquakes in the caldera of Bárðarbunga, one M4.8 (15:00) and several smaller events occurred in the caldera.

Focal mechanisms of the strongest events indicate subsidence of the volcano due to volume decrease underneath, similar to past days.
24th August 2014 11:50 - notes from scientists' meeting
- Earthquake activity in NW-Vatnajökull is still very strong, 700 earthquakes have been observed since midnight and they are somewhat larger than previous days.
- Two large earthquakes, over 5 where in the Bárðarbunga caldera this night.
- The activity under Dyngjujökull has propagated northwards and is now mostly under the edge of the glacier, where an earthquake of size 4,2 was recorded this morning.
- The dyke under Dyngjujökull is now estimated to be approximately 30 km long.
- There are no indications that the activity is slowing down, and therefore an eruption can not be excluded.
- Observations show that a sub-glacial eruption did not occur yesterday. The intense low-frequency seismic signal observed yesterday has therefore other explanations.
- The Icelandic Meteorological Office has decided to move the aviation color-code from red to orange.
_http://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volcanism/articles/nr/2947

I see there was a 6.0 Earthquake in California about 3am their local time.
Did the Earth move for you?

post merged to a thread already mentioning the 6 magnitude earthquake in California ;)

Teresa said:
domi said:
Arwenn said:

I live in the South Bay about 70 miles from the epicenter and while I slept through the whole thing, some of my neighbors were woken up. No damage here.

Good to hear that you guys are OK :)

There was an earthquake yesterday in Burdur (western part of Turkey) at 10:43 local time of 5.1 mag. (preliminary) at a depth of 7.4 km.

Also lately there are a lot earthquakes in Iraq and Iran

_http://earthquaketrack.com/r/iran-iraq-border/recent

Human cosmic connection ?

Hope all our California forum member's are safe.

A utube blogger has put together a very good compilation one, on one interviews (25 in all) of the experiences of some of the local residents that felt the quake.
Surbuban streets after Napa earthquake in California 08/24/2014
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JmFNBKtR7M&index=1&list=UUGDzd4zBrRwrip9YeljadlA

There were also some anomalies present, which some had described, flashes of light at the time before, and near the event, with the sounds of booms.

These comments were found on different sections of different news paper outlets via the net. Perhaps there was a methane release as well which could have been possible as the quake was centered in a marsh area. Ignited by the electrical discharge that can accompany the movement of tectonic plates.
Prolonged rolling scared us all! Going back to bed and hoping for no aftershocks. Saw a flash of light outside towards the end of the 'quake but we have power.
I counted at least 4 groups of flashing lights during and after the quake.
I saw some flashes of light too but power is OK everywhere. Maybe this is my first time seeing the mysterious "earthquake lights".
Yeah, it scared me more than the quake. I was trying to make sense of it half asleep. I know now for next time, but at 3:19 it looked like some kind of silent bombing. I knew it couldn't be lightening.
I heard these loud popping noises about 10-20 minutes prior... Is that what you're referring to?

Napa, CA and Vallejo, distance - CA 13.48 mi
Video from the security cameras at Consumer Music
Published on Aug 24, 2014Vallejo, CA
Napa Earthquake 2014 #1 - YouTube
www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfBRnO3piD4
Napa Earthquake 2014 #2 - YouTube
www.youtube.com/watch?v=RywtoBByqag

Santa Rosa Press Demarcate
Fault suspected in Napa County quake fairly obscure
_http://www.pressdemocrat.com/home/2577833-181/fault-suspected-in-napa-county

Stay safe, be prepared.

Attachments