EMF Exposure

How about using network over the wire (via power adapters like Tenda PH3 AV1000) together with Graham Stetzer Filters ? Could this still be usable and offer less exposure then wifi? Was there any research/has anyone measured and compared GS or other units on risk scale tables like these?
When you do this, you impose broadband digital signals on your home wiring - and thus, on the grid-based electric and magnetic fields in the home. If the filters do their job, the chances are good that the Internet signal will be unreadable. If you also have wiring errors in the home resulting in high mag fields, your exposure to noise-like EMF can be very high - this is the central health issue. Best to keep the Internet confined to ethernet cable.

How about using network over the wire (via power adapters like Tenda PH3 AV1000) together with Graham Stetzer Filters ? Could this still be usable and offer less exposure then wifi? Was there any research/has anyone measured and compared GS or other units on risk scale tables like these?
Figure3EMF4.jpg

figure5EMF4.jpg

(source: EMF pollution: What you can do to reduce your EMF exposure -- Sott.net )
I don't know how it goes emissions wise, but it does work a hell of a lot better than wireless. I used it in my previous house as my wife's computer was too far from the router and it provided a strong stable connection. I do recall reading somewhere that it is quite dirty from an emissions perspective though

And here are the measurements:
No doubt how harmful it is. However, in comments under Part 2 video (BTW an interesting youtube channel) someone mentioned using filters together with good result ( a comment from "earthcommedy"):

I've also inquired stetzerelectric.com, they suggested it should work too and one can always return a filter if that's not the case.
So there is still a high possibility that PLE+Filters give an option B between A)Ethernet cable and C) using WiFi. Perhaps a little more digging would make it clear.

Well, I FINALLY got around to ordering a Greenwave DE meter and 15 filters. They cost a small fortune since the 230V international version is only available from their web site, and they're $45 a piece - plus shipping + VAT + customs fees!

The first thing I did was measure outlets all around the chateau. Well... That was an eyeopener.

Most readings were about 200-300, with some hotspots about 500-700 where there are lots of puters. But the top 3 measurements were:

1. Behind Laura's desk: 2000+ (IOW, the meter went off the scale!!!!)
2. In front of Iza's desk: 1400
3. Next to Ark's side of their bed: 900

So, first thing I did was install 3 filters at the breaker panel where the power enters the house (in 3 new outlets - one for each of the 3 phases of AC). I noticed that one of the filters sparked when I plugged it in, and they were all buzzing rather nicely (some more than others).

Then I went around plugging in filters and trying to reduce the readings as much as possible in the nasty areas. Of the Top 3 Winners above, all readings are now down around 60, which is a HUGE reduction. I also noted that while they say to get readings down to as low as 25, the GW meter actually reports "Low Noise" when the reading is 100 or lower. That seems more reasonable anyway, because the "balloon effect" as LQB calls it is a real pain to deal with: lower a reading here, and it spikes over there! It's like playing whack-a-mole.

After the remaining 12 filters were installed, the buzz at the 3 filters by the breaker panel is almost 0 now.

Ark discovered that the dimmers in their room were VERY noisy. Interestingly enough, I have an expensive Legrand dimmer that's electronic and even compensates for different types of bulbs (using it with LEDs), and it is actually very quiet in terms of DE noise produced.

I'm not sure what produced the crazy-high amounts of noise in the Top 3 locations, though. It wasn't anything specific plugged in, so there is something else at work that makes those points particularly nasty. Wiring errors shouldn't be a factor because I did the wiring myself in those locations - so no shared neutrals or anything like that.

I'm still not totally happy with readings in some rooms, so I thought I might need more filters. I've shifted filters around to reduce the higher readings here in our downstairs office, and upstairs in L&A's rooms since we spend the most time in those locations. But some bedrooms are still 120 or so, and I'd like to get that lowered. Obviously, sitting at a puter for hours and hours when the level is 560 is probably more exposure than sleeping where it's 120. And some areas (like the Lodge) still have highish readings and no filters.

But I'm not going to pay $1k for another 15 filters. So, I decided to build my own.

This is the inside of a US Stetzer filter from some years ago that I found on YT:

Greenwave Filter.jpg

The 256K single cap is 25uF. That resistor as far as I can tell is totally the wrong size for safely discharging that size of cap when the filter is unplugged. Oh well!

So then I took apart one of our 230V GW filters and the following is what's inside:
GreenWave.jpg
Note that the above circuit would simplify to just a single 24.7uF cap and a 111k resistor, both across live/neutral. DONE!

As with the older US Stetzer version, there is about 24.7uF of capacitance in the form of 3 MKP62 305V X2 caps across live/neutral. There are also 2 resistors that add up to 111k of resistance to discharge the caps (1/2 W each, and they're actually 222k, I think - close enough). And finally there are two 220pF ceramic single-layer caps between ground-neutral and ground-live. I measured everything just to be sure, disconnecting caps and stuff so I could get accurate readings.

Well, alrighty then!

I did some calculations, and the cap values actually make sense to me when you consider the capacitance, charge/discharge time, risetime of the noise frequencies, and the max current the filters are rated at (15A).

How I think it works: The caps resist a change in voltage. So, when there's a noisy AC sine wave (dirty electricity), you get higher-frequency spikes or dips above or below the nice clean sine wave. IOW, the sine wave looks jaggedy.

If you have a negative V spike, the cap sources current to bring the voltage back up to it's proper smooth level. If you have a positive spike, the cap sinks current to bring it back down. If you don't have enough filters, the cap becomes saturated. In that case, it could source but not sink current. I think...

The two teeny blue ceramic 220pF caps connect to ground must just dump higher-frequency noise to ground or something? They certainly can't sink/source much current like the big honkin' metalized polypropylene EMI caps can.

Anyway, I managed to hop on AliExpress and find:

1. Power Enhancer Save Energy gizmos for $4 each (I need the box with plug)
2. UK -> EU plug adapters (since the 'Energy Savers' are UK plugs w/ground)
3. A bunch of 8.2uF caps ( 3 x 8.2 = 24.6uF)
4. Some 220k 2W resistors (the 0.5W ones are a bit undersized for my taste)
5. Bunch of 220pF ceramic caps

The CassWave filters will look like this:

CassWave.jpg

When it all arrives from China, I will assemble a test filter and see what happens. Total per-unit part cost: $8 a filter!
:-D

I wish I would have bit the bullet and done this years ago...

Then I went around plugging in filters and trying to reduce the readings as much as possible in the nasty areas. Of the Top 3 Winners above, all readings are now down around 60, which is a HUGE reduction. I also noted that while they say to get readings down to as low as 25, the GW meter actually reports "Low Noise" when the reading is 100 or lower. That seems more reasonable anyway, because the "balloon effect" as LQB calls it is a real pain to deal with: lower a reading here, and it spikes over there! It's like playing whack-a-mole.
Bravo Scottie - outstanding! My own feeling is that getting it down to around 100 is good enough except for those that are very EMF-sensitive. You have some major reductions that will make a difference (health-wise) in areas of long-term exposure. This EMF noise exposure is likened to ionizing radiation exposure in that the exposure is cumulative.

In general, dimmers are major noise sources. If you've found a good one, replace the others. The electrician that did much of the wiring in my home had the help of one of my AC mag meters when installing a dimmer switch. His first attempt showed the dimmer working fine but AC mag field went way up (wiring error). He fixed it by verifying with the meter.

The price on these filters is ridiculous - most of the cost goes into the packaging. So good deal on building your own - could be a good business opportunity.

Keep in mind that if electrical loads move around, so can the noise - so its good to spot check occasionally.

Bravo Scottie - outstanding! My own feeling is that getting it down to around 100 is good enough except for those that are very EMF-sensitive. You have some major reductions that will make a difference (health-wise) in areas of long-term exposure. This EMF noise exposure is likened to ionizing radiation exposure in that the exposure is cumulative.

I was very interested to see that when I moved filters out of bedrooms and down into the office, the noise upstairs in the bedrooms stayed low! So, you really have to play around and see what works best.

And I'm definitely going to do spot checks - especially when new gizmos are introduced.

Now I just have to wait prolly a few weeks before all the filter parts arrive from China. At this rate, I won't need 16 more filters, so the remainder will be a 'Starter Kit' for the Farm!

I was very interested to see that when I moved filters out of bedrooms and down into the office, the noise upstairs in the bedrooms stayed low! So, you really have to play around and see what works best.

And I'm definitely going to do spot checks - especially when new gizmos are introduced.

Now I just have to wait prolly a few weeks before all the filter parts arrive from China. At this rate, I won't need 16 more filters, so the remainder will be a 'Starter Kit' for the Farm!
This sounds very interesting Scottie! I have just finished reading the Invisible Rainbow by Firstenberg and it has resparke my interest in taking action. Previously in looking at filters(like Stetzers) I found the cost to high. But if I could make some filters, that would be awesome. I justed watched your Scotties Tech.info video on this, and wait with bated breathe the stunnijng conclusion to this clean electricity saga!!

Well, I did a vid on Dirty Electricity:

Next stop: DIY filters... and hope nothing explodes. :whistle:

After a bit of Chinese mayhem, I finally got all the necessary components to DIY some dirty electricity filters...

Behold the prototype CassWave filter!

IMG_20211030_165756.jpg

Not only did it NOT explode, but according to the GreenWave DE meter, it works just as well as a real GW filter.

Total cost per unit: $17.26 each (here in the EU, I ended up paying close to $60 per GW filter)

Will be releasing a new vid sometime in the next few weeks - as soon as I get the time to build the rest so I can show step-by-step how I made the prototype.

:knitting:

Et voila! They work super-well.

Full parts list with links can be found here:

Et voila! They work super-well.

Full parts list with links can be found here:

awesome Scottie! I've been looking at the parts, and the 'energy saving' plugs in their US configuration have only two prongs. So that will save me some time and money for buying and installing the 220pF. It'll be like the GS DE filtres then, which don't have a ground prong!
Cost from AliBaba would be 322$CAN, approx. 16$CAN/filtre for 20 filtres. My best price from Greenwave, after shipping and taxes was 35U$A/filtre. (27$/filtre + 65$ shipping + 65$ tax). (44$CAN/filtre) All other bundles of Greenwave filtres were 28U$A each. I may be able to get the product from AliBaba with no/little tax as individually the items are a small dollar value.
Wish me luck! Time to buy house fire insurance!! :scared:

As I was doing my nightly rounds of news, I came across this article, even though they're mentioning it was "wind turbine syndrome", I suppose it could also be related to the EMF produced by the turbines?

Not sure, I thought it was interesting to share here as the courts ruled in the couples favor (translated from French with DeepL):

It's hard to say if this is a first in France, but it's quite unprecedented. A couple who lived near a wind farm, in Fontrieu in the Tarn, won their case at the Court of Appeal of Toulouse. The court recognized the existence of a wind turbine syndrome. The companies operating the wind turbines, Sasu Margnes Energie and Sasu Singladou Energie, were ordered to pay Christel and Luc Fockaert a little more than 100,000 euros in compensation. The two companies are deemed responsible for the abnormal neighborhood disturbances suffered by the couple.

Headaches, nausea, dizziness

Headaches, dizziness. Christel and Luc Fockaert experienced this for more than two years. Until they left their home.

They had bought their house in Fontrieu in 2004. The wind turbines (six in total) were installed in 2008 and 2009. They were located at a distance between 700 meters for the closest and 1300 meters for the furthest. At first, they did not really notice any negative effect on their health. But in 2013, a wood that was screening between their property and the park was cut down.
Fatigue, headaches, nausea, sleep and heart rate problems. They have the same symptoms. They consulted but the doctors found nothing. No abnormality, no history that could explain the deterioration of their health. "We didn't understand right away but, little by little, we realized that the problem came from the wind turbines," says Christel. The couple moved in 2015. The symptoms regressed and disappeared completely by January 2016.

An expert studied the scientific literature on the health effects of low frequency sound and infrasound due to wind turbines. There is indeed a wind energy syndrome. The symptoms are very diverse, of a general nature (fatigue, nausea), neurological (headaches, tinnitus) or psychological (stress, anxiety), among others. The couple was indeed a victim of this syndrome according to the expert.

"They produce green energy far from their door"

For Christel and Luc, this decision of the Court of Appeal of Toulouse is a victory after such a long fight. "We are happy and relieved" they say. In the first instance, before the court of Castres, they had been rejected. This time, they feel that they have been heard. From the beginning, they had made known their problems to the operators of the wind farm, in vain. The head office of both companies is located in the department of Deux-Sèvres. "They produce green energy far from their door and the concerns of the residents, they do not care a little," says Luc.

"This is quite unprecedented," acknowledges the couple's lawyer. "To my knowledge, there is no precedent," says Alice Terrasse. "But attention, she specifies, that is not duplicable. This park generates an abnormal nuisance in its configuration, but each case is particular and must be examined". The lawyer regrets that the operators did not want to discuss with her clients when the symptoms were revealed. "They could have considered a bridging, by reducing the speed of the blades of the wind turbines. What moreover was done in secret after their departure", she says.

This affair should allow, according to the lawyer, that we finally ask ourselves questions about these wind farms. How one implants them, and how one listens to the population, the residents.

awesome Scottie! I've been looking at the parts, and the 'energy saving' plugs in their US configuration have only two prongs.

Yeah, Greenwave included the 220pF caps to ground, but those don't actually filter DE. I think they just dump higher-frequency noise to ground. I actually considered ditching those and saving some money by getting the EU plug version of the Power Saver thingies, but then I figured what the heck... It can't hurt.

As I was doing my nightly rounds of news, I came across this article, even though they're mentioning it was "wind turbine syndrome", I suppose it could also be related to the EMF produced by the turbines?

I've wondered about that myself... In Milham's book Dirty Electricity, he talks about that cell tower installation in a school yard. The problem in the end wasn't the GHz signals, but the DE generated by the massive DC power supplies for the cell tower.

Well, we're pretty sure the sound of windmills can be a problem, so it might be two different factors that both cause health issues.

That's the main problem IMO with a lot of this stuff: it's usually never just one thing that's causing a problem. And most studies don't factor in things like diet because the researchers simply don't know anything about it!

Back
Top Bottom