Ever Given container ship aground in the Suez Canal

Strong wind not main reason for Suez ship grounding: canal chief

Egypt’s Suez Canal Authority chief said Saturday that strong wind was not the main reason for the grounding of the MV Ever Given cargo ship in the waterway.

“Strong winds and weather factors were not the main reasons for the ship’s grounding, there may have been technical or human errors,” Osama Rabie said at a press conference in Suez.

“All of these factors will become apparent in the investigation,” he added.

Asked when the ship could be afloat again, he suggested it was possible “today or tomorrow, depending on the ship’s responsiveness to the tides.”

This boat is a symbol and I like it for that. A symbol of our system that is stuck, incapable to move, at the brink of annihilation. Maybe the boat will brake in two in a big CRACK! and all the containers will fall in the water. It will produce a small tsunami.

I think it is an important situation over there. Not looking at the materialistic side, all these containers with objects or tools, but something more darker and at the same time lighter, it shows us how in the 21 Century a gigantic boat can stop many things in the system, stop a sort of movement, it is interesting; and how people are incapable to fix it. We are like ants in front of this mastodonte. We create a monster, we are unable to control it. So in that sense I see this "accident" like a sort of help, to make us see again how it is not possible to control, for the controllers, everything.

This boat is a symbol and I like it for that. A symbol of our system that is stuck, incapable to move, at the brink of annihilation. Maybe the boat will brake in two in a big CRACK! and all the containers will fall in the water. It will produce a small tsunami.

I think it is an important situation over there. Not looking at the materialistic side, all these containers with objects or tools, but something more darker and at the same time lighter, it shows us how in the 21 Century a gigantic boat can stop many things in the system, stop a sort of movement, it is interesting; and how people are incapable to fix it. We are like ants in front of this mastodonte. We create a monster, we are unable to control it. So in that sense I see this "accident" like a sort of help, to make us see again how it is not possible to control, for the controllers, everything.
Awesome post, I love it!

In this article on SOTT about this incident, it says:

This week is not the first time it has been involved in a crash, however.

In 2019 the ship ran into a small ferry moored on the Elbe River in the German port of Hamburg in high winds, severely damaging the ferry.

So the ship may just have a inept or inexperienced crew, or, as loreta said, this is a symbol of something much larger going on today.

That would actually also be a rather fast solution to the problem I would think of as well if it is really such a risk and problem that it is stuck there. I guess environmental problems such as oil leaking might be one of the reasons some have problems with it.

That was not a serious remark but I should have made that clear.

Back
Top Bottom