Feeling Good, The New Mood Therapy - Treatment for Depression

987baz said:
Yes, JP will be releasing an online version of the Big 5 personality traits test sometime in the near future. I haven't taken the Hexaco test but will put it on my to-do list for the weekend. Thanks for the link.

Oh cool, thanks for the info, will keep an eye out for that one for sure!

I think I might take the Hexaco test again at the end of the year, to see if there have been any changes, might be a reasonable way of evaluating how beneficial CBT can be?

Thank you everyone for all the other input. And you're very welcome for the book. As Aragorn mentioned about books "doing the trick" I agree that sometimes it takes much more than just one book, and sometimes even going back to books already read helps. Or personally speaking this has been my case, books read a while back (even if it's novels or anything not too deep so to speak) tend to have another meaning when I read them again. So it's just like little tools we are adding and adding :) The good thing about these type of books, i think, it's not just theory, so with the exercises, IMO, it's the best way to put all the theory into practice.

Also I do agree that the test can help to see how much of a benefit CBT has been, but I recall it was also mentioned that maybe someone else that knows you can do the test in ur name, cause sometimes we can be a bit bias he. The first time I did it by myself, so maybe i'll try asking someone in my family to take the test for me. But reading my post back then in December about the test. I can certainly see how some things are still there, which is now a reminder to still work on them, but anxiety or depression wise things have been way better.

I was also thinking about Dispenza's book. Cause all this narratives we tend to have are so wired in our brains that we just automatically think in those ways. So the exercises in CBT, IMO, really make you think which ones are yours and which aren't, and also the why's about them.

987baz said:
I just watched this talk with David Burns, some really interesting ideas.

How to have good feelings, become happy and develop self-esteem ? - David D. Burns PHD

https://youtu.be/p6u3tT2NLEc

I found the PDF of the book: http://islamiconlineuniversity.com/counseling/resources/David%20Burns%20-%20Feeling%20Good.pdf

But it can also be found on Amazon :D

Thanks for the link Marina, I will have a read :)

Thanks for the link to the talk baz. He reminds me a little bit ab out what i read from dabrowksi and personality shaping. Either way it looks like a great resource to start dealing with my depression!! Again really appreciate to the resources!!
[/quote]

You're very welcome wand3rer :) Yeah, I think you're right about the Dabrowski connection! I have only just started reading the book myself, started doing the first exercise today, it's pretty amazing to see the negative thoughts that crop up without you really knowing they are there.

As I'm sure you know there is a wealth of info on here and SOTT about getting off the meds and finding alternative things that work, easy does it though, got to be kind to yourself and as always knowledge protects!!

On a personal note, I hope things down your neck of the woods are going ok mate, next time you're up this way let me know.
[/quote]

Will do forsure Baz. I hope things are going well for you at work. I just received the book today. Am going to tuck into it immediately :)

987baz said:
Yes, JP will be releasing an online version of the Big 5 personality traits test sometime in the near future. I haven't taken the Hexaco test but will put it on my to-do list for the weekend. Thanks for the link.

Oh cool, thanks for the info, will keep an eye out for that one for sure!
I think this is the website for the JP test for anyone who's interested:

_https://www.understandmyself.com/

edit: clarity

It is probably a bit off topic for this thread, but thought about mentioning it just in case, since it also deals with testing of "personality traits".

There is this recent article that talks about physical exercise lowering incidences of depression. And it made me think about various "personality traits", i.e. "persistent" behavioral traits. And how they could be "molded", but at the same time also modified by our brain chemistry and our habits. I wonder how it would affect this kind of testing if we would take "fluctuating brain chemistry" into account.

On this topic, I think this video of Jordan Peterson helps to illustrate the nature of "labeling and mislabeling" and how it hurts depressed people:

https://youtu.be/d_Dh56d8K1w?start=347

It should start at 5:47, which is the relevant section, although as usual the entire video is very interesting.

Back
Top Bottom