Fighting Fatigue with Oak Wood Extract

Divide By Zero said:
Is white oak bark the same as this french oak bark?

I can't seem to find anything about the difference.

Quercus stenophylla is an oak species found in Japan, South Korea and Taiwan. ... Quercus (White Oak Bark)

Quercus alba (white oak north America)

Quercus robur, Q. petraea (European species)

Chemical components identical???... I'd like that answer also, assumptions not needed, especially when dealing with supplements and the placebo problem. I'll be making my own powder if I can find correlating evidence on species similarities that would warrant me to do so.

The following might be of interest:

TANNERS AND TUBERCULOSIS.

Professor Dr. L. Schrotter R. von Kristelli, of Vienna, founder of the home for tuberculosis patients at Alland, has given special attention to the liability or immunity of tanners in the contraction of this frightful disease from which many thousands of people suffer in Vienna every year, and some of the observations he has made are very interesting. He states, for instance, that, so far as he can remember, not a single tanner has ever been included among his patients, which number about 8,000 every year; and the same thing has been observed at one of the hospitals in Vienna. This is a very remarkable fact, seeing that tuberculosis of the lungs is the most prevailing disease in Vienna, and that there is a good number of persons in that city employed in the tanning trade.

Attachments

• images-11.jpg
    images-11.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 190
michaelrc said:
monotonic said:
You forgot to add the reference. Here:

The Leather Manufacturer

mod: fixed url display ;)

Thank you Monotonic :-[

I've read that the North American white oak has a delicious acorn thats with out the bitter taste... so the following url has also peaked my interest:

http://www.academia.edu/210184/Acorns_as_food_in_southeast_Turkey_implications_for_past_subsistence_in_Southwest_Asia

Having a time of it...

I noticed the tanners used a product they called, valonia in the processing of the hides. Valonia, is the acorn caps ground to a fine powder. Hmm mm, wow... if we can gather acorns not just for food but also for the medicinal caps (that's if the caps are chemically equal to the oak bark), then we might really have something going on here.

The oak bark, if I'm correct on this shouldn't be used for more than 3 weeks, hmm? Then this URL really got me excited !

http://members.efn.org/~finnpo/indigenia/samprice.html

michaelrc said:
The oak bark, if I'm correct on this shouldn't be used for more than 3 weeks, hmm?

From the original article posted by Laura it says:

The clinical impact of roburin-rich oak wood extract was made evident by a second important human study, this one conducted among patients with known chronic fatigue syndrome. In the study, adults with at least five primary chronic fatigue syndrome symptoms were treated with 200 mg/day of Robuvit® oak wood extract for a minimum of six months.

It may be that those with not so many health problems shouldn't do it for this long, but I'm going with the "minimum of six months" and see what happens.

Thanks Nienna, (reading now rather than skimming ) and also thanks to all of you folks that don't mind helping the struggling newbies out here. The baby steps are so painful... :-[

Gaby said:
I'm taking this one:

_http://www.amazon.com/Life-Extension-RibogenTM-French-Extract/dp/B00PHSM37S

Got it on a special offer. It turned out to be the one thing I needed during this period of time. I have less allergies, lemon juice as a condiment and some onions produce no issues. Before, I would get hives and hay fever symptoms. I have more energy and mental clarity after night shifts as well. I love this supplement!

After one more month of "treatment", I'll get any of the ones recommended in this thread and/or take a break :)

Thank you for experimenting with this Gaby! I look forward to hearing your results in a few weeks... I was thinking of taking it for my eyes- lately they seem to be changing and I'm not really sure why. headaches from reading are becoming more and more frequent and I'm hoping this might help.

Help... on ellagic acid? I'm trying to draw conclusions about the raising or lowering of blood pressure from ellagic acid intake and can only find conflicting information so far. I'm not taking the bark or galls currently just trying to do a little research. :lkj:

Very interesting, thanks for bringing up this subject!

Jonathan said:
It causes me to think that because Oak is so strong and resilient, that it may be part of the reason why it's imbued with qualities that fight fatigue. I know there's "nuts and bolts" elements at play here, like the root physical effects of Roburin A, but the archetypal connection seem really strong as well...

In Finland there is a product available that has pine bark and phloem extract mixed in spring water. They mention that the health effects of the pine extract are due to the high content of antioxidants, but perhaps the strength and resilience of the pine has a role too.

The manufacturer has been banned by the officials from publishing patient cases on their finnish site, but on a differing web site there are, if true, some pretty impressive stories: curings of cancer, etc. (Some patient cases can be read on their english language site.)

_http://www.ravintorengas.fi/en/

I found they sell the stuff in a local health store, and decided to try it out. I have been drinking the tonic now for some 4 days, and I think I feel a little more all around energy and clarity.

Rx said:
I was thinking of taking it for my eyes- lately they seem to be changing and I'm not really sure why. headaches from reading are becoming more and more frequent and I'm hoping this might help.

Hi Rx,

The oak extract might help with the eyes too. During these last few days I have noticed a lessening in the amount of floaters in my field of vision. I have also been taking lutein for a couple of weeks now, so an effect could come from there as well. (Lutein is supposed to be good for the retina, and I read a comment somewhere how a person noticed a decrease in the eye floaters, due to taking the stuff.)

However, when it comes to having headaches due to reading, I thought I’d ask if you have distance glasses (minus glasses), and if you wear them also when reading? If so, it might be good to try reading without them.

On the other hand, if you don’t have minus glasses (and actually in the case you have minus glasses of small value), perhaps wearing separate reading (plus) glasses while doing reading is worth trying. (They can be obtained quite cheaply e.g. from a drug store, etc.)

Doing close work like reading, requires the accommodation muscle of the eye to contract and increase the refraction of the lens (to enable the close up objects/ text to focus on the retina).

Prolonged reading, especially as with age the elasticity of the lens decreases (and the accommodation muscle has to ”fight” more to change the refraction of the lens), can really put a strain on the accommodation muscle. As the muscle is directly connected to the autonomous nervous system, headaches, migraine and other symptoms can arise.

In that sense, for those doing a lot of reading (especially when they are nearing or have passed the ”presbyopic” age with the lens’s elasticity decreasing), it might be a good idea to use separate reading/ computer glasses to lessen the strain being placed on the accommodation muscle.

There is some more info on this thread:

http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,25228.0.html

and also on this website:

_http://kaisuviikari.com/wordpress/

Back
Top Bottom