Floods & Landslides

Floods in Nigeria: worst flooding in decades leaves thousands trapped​

Up to one million people are believed to have been affected by devastating flooding in northeastern Nigeria.
According to the UN, as of September 10, more than 414,000 people have been hit, 37 have been injured and at least 40,000 have been killed. About XNUMX XNUMX people were registered in three camps for internally displaced persons (IDPs), which originally housed people fleeing violence. As assessments continue, the number of people affected is expected to increase.
“This is a catastrophic blow to a state already battered by more than a decade of violent conflict that has weakened systems and infrastructure. It was the worst flooding Maiduguri has seen in more than 30 years. Families are displaced, IDP camps are filling up and hundreds of thousands of people are in urgent need of assistance. This number is expected to increase in the coming days. Our thoughts are with all those affected. “Dr. Hussaini Abdu, Country Director of CARE Nigeria, said.

The passage of Cyclone Boris through northeastern Italy is leaving severe flooding in the Emilia Romagna region due to overflowing rivers and during the night.
People had to be evacuated and schools will remain closed. The whole region of Emilia Romagna which was on orange alert turned to red in a few hours and was hit by heavy rains throughout the night and more than 800 people were evacuated in the area of Ravenna, another 165 in the area of Bologna and spent the night in the reception centers made available by the municipalities.
  • Around 300 – 400 mm (11.8 – 15.7 inches) of rain fell in the Emilia-Romagna Region of northern Italy in 48 hours.
  • Almost 1 000 people were forced to evacuate.
  • Helicopters had to be used to rescue people stranded in the flooded regions.

Last edited:
Here is aerial footage of the flood damage caused by Hurricane Helene in Chimney Rock/Lake Lure, NC where the dam failed:

This is a more extensive video covering the damage from all over the Smoky Mountain region:

The worst part of all this is that there was very little time to evacuate. These flash floods came really quickly.

Here is aerial footage of the flood damage caused by Hurricane Helene in Chimney Rock/Lake Lure, NC where the dam failed:

This is a more extensive video covering the damage from all over the Smoky Mountain region:

The worst part of all this is that there was very little time to evacuate. These flash floods came really quickly.
How did FOTCM members and the Caesaria property fare?

I live in eastern SC near Augusta, GA. On my three acres, we had 70 mph winds (with 90 mph gusts) Thursday night which blew down NINE 18-24" wide oak trees and snapped one off 30 feet from the base. The roots from one torn out my water supply line. Three fell across my entrance road. By Saturday afternoon, we'd cut a path for the car, and by Sunday evening, the electricity was back on (surprisingly early since we'd been told it'd be at least a week). I've got tons of cleanup to do, including removing a tree top that feel on my chicken coop, but overall, it was a good "dress rehearsal" (e.g. using my solar panels and a gas generator to power my refrigerator and freezer; utilization of emergency water supplies for cooking, dish washing, bathing; and a multitude of "little" details that revealed themselves and were duly noted)

Back
Top Bottom