Gluten-free Recipes

Mark

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
I thought I'd start a thread here with some recipes I've tried that are pretty good. If anyone else wants to add please do!

http://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=714&p_catid=&p_print=y&sid=91hH9H1kBMBVBTR-35107216571.8d

These pancakes are really good. In fact I like them better than any regular wheat varieties. I haven't tried subtituting the potato starch, but maybe that's possible using a bit more tapioca flour and rice flour. When I made these I cut the recipe down by 1/2 and that made about 8 pancakes roughly 6" diameter.

Rice Pancakes

Copyright © 1995-2007
Scott Adams.
This recipe comes to us from Mary Brack.

Make Betty Hagman's gluten-free flour mix:
2 cups white rice flour
2/3 cup potato starch flour
1/3 cup tapioca flour

Use 1 cup of G/F flour from above and add:
¼ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
1/6 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
Mix together and set aside.

Measure 1 tablespoon vinegar and add milk to equal one cup. Separate white and yolk of 1 egg and add white to the vinegar/milk mixture and whisk.

Melt 2 tablespoons butter and add separated egg yolk and mix.

Mix both liquids together and pour on top of the dry mixture. Whisk together. Pour batter into heated, heavy pan coated with a small amount of light olive oil. Cook until bubbles break up through pancake; flip, cook until other side slightly browns.

First let me say that baking with gluten free flours has been a real learning experience. After years of dealing with regular wheat flour, I was unprepared for substances that act so different. But, being determined to figure it out and to learn what works and what doesn't, I have been experimenting for the past few months. I bought several gluten free cookbooks from amazon and began to try the recipes. Some of them worked "as advertised," but others did not. There was also the problem of finding sources for all the needed ingredients. That might take some ingenuity!

Anyway, we finally put together a bread that everyone in the house likes and agrees is the best yet and it is pretty much our own invention, taking off from a basic one loaf recipe for a rice flour bread. Depending on the size of your loaf pans, it will make four or five loaves. If you don't eat a lot of bread, put them in the freezer.

Another tip, we keep the loaf on the counter on a board covered with a cloth during the day. As the crumbs accumulate, I brush them into a little flat pan which I keep in the oven. This dries them out so that you have gluten free bread crumbs for other recipes.

So, here's the recipe.

You will need two large bowls.

In the first bowl put:

2 liters of tepid water.
8 eggs
1 cup of dried milk powder.
1/2 cup olive oil
1 cup of sugar
5 TBSP salt
6 TBSP dried yeast

Mix together and let stand while mixing the flours in the other bowl.

2.5 cups tapioca flour
1.5 cups potato flour
(You can also use just potato flour or just tapioca flour, but must be total of 4 cups. In a pinch, you can substitute corn starch)
7 cups buckwheat flour
4 cups garbanzo (chick peas) flour (or some other bean flour)
7 cups rice flour
7 TBSP guar gum or xanthan gum.

Mix the flours together thoroughly. You don't want to skip this because some of these flours will grab the liquid and make a big hard lump ...

Make a well in the flour and pour in the liquid from the other bowl and begin to stir around and around until it gets too stiff to stir. (Big wooden paddle works best.) At some point, you will have to oil your hands and just plunge in there and really work it. (Take your rings off, the stuff is REALLY sticky, like peanut butter!)

The dough should be stiff enough that when you try to pull your hand out, the bowl will lift off the table instead. If not, add a bit more rice or buckwheat or bean flour.

When done with this, you need an assistant to help you scrape the stuff off your hands with a dinner knife. Then you will have to scrub your hands with a brush under running water to get it off!

Have your loaf and/or muffin pans ready: butter them heavily.

To put the dough in the pan, use a big spoon and a buttered rubber spatula to scrape it off the spoon!

Fill each pan slightly over half full. The dough will fall in misshapen glops. Don't worry about that just yet. Just make sure you divide it up evenly.

Then, after emptying the bowl, take the buttered spatula (you'll have to frequently re-butter it, so have a chunk of soft butter handy) and use it to press the dough down and smooth it across the top.

Place a clean, wet dishtowel over the top of the pans and let them rise until they have almost doubled in size. The dough should be a smooth dome emerging from the top of the loaf pan.

Place in oven at 125 C or 300 F and bake for about an hour. About half way through, I take the pans on the top (very gently) and put them on the bottom rack and put the pans on the bottom rack on the top.

When very brown, remove from oven and let sit for about 10 minutes before turning out onto the counter to cool.

This is a very nicely textured and flavored brown bread. If you want just a white bread, replace the buckwheat flour with corn flour (not corn starch - two different things). We try to limit our corn intake so that is why the recipe is designed this way, but you don't have to be rigid about it.

Devil's Food Cake

The BEST cake I EVER made!!!

Preheat oven to 125 C or 350 F

Butter two 9" X 13" oblong baking pans. Cut a piece of baking paper to fit the bottom and put in place.
OR, 4 9" round cake pans.
Set aside.

Take a small pan and bring 1.5 cups of water to the boil.
Add two cups of cocoa powder whisking while adding.
Let cool slightly and then add 1.5 cups of butter milk. Stir in well. If you don't have butter milk, you can take the milk before you get started and add a tablespoon of cider vinegar, stir slightly, and leave to curdle.

In a large bowl mix together:
1 cup rice flour
1 cup tapioca flour
1 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup potato flour
2 teaspoons guar gum or xanthan gum
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

Set aside.

In another large bowl, cream together:

3 cups brown sugar (or white)
1 cup mayonnaise
3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla

When the sugar, mayonnaise and eggs are well beaten, add the cocoa mixture and continue beating until well mixed.

Next, begin adding the flour mix a little at a time as you continue beating (hope you are using an electric mixer here!).

The batter will seem thin, but that's the way it is supposed to be.

Divide the batter into the prepared pans equally.

Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Cool before frosting.

This is from one of the cookbooks I bought - "Healthy Gluten-free Eating" by Darina Allen and Rosemary Kearney - and definitely highly recommended!

Soda Bread

Ingredients

275g/10oz rice flour
110g/4oz tapioca flour
50g/2oz dried milk
1 scant tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 heaped tsp gluten-free baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 heaped tsp xanthan gum
2 tbsp caster sugar
1 egg, preferably free-range, lightly beaten
300-350ml/10-12fl oz buttermilk

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 230C/450F/Gas 8.
2. Sift all the dry ingredients together into a large bowl. Mix well by lifting the dry ingredients up into your hands and then letting them fall back into the bowl through your fingers. This adds more air and therefore more lightness to your finished bread. Lightly whisk the egg and buttermilk together. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in most of the egg and buttermilk at once. Using one hand, with your fingers stiff and outstretched (like a claw!), stir in a full circular movement from the centre to the outside of the bowl in ever-increasing circles, adding a little more buttermilk if necessary. The dough should be softish, not too wet and sticky.
3. The trick with white soda bread is not to over-mix the dough. Mix it as quickly and as gently as possible, thus keeping it light and airy. When the dough all comes together, turn it out onto a rice-floured work surface.
4. Wash and dry your hands. With rice-floured fingers, roll lightly for a few seconds - just enough to tidy it up. Pat the dough into a round, pressing it to about 5cm/2in in height.
5. Place the dough on a baking tray dusted lightly with rice flour. With a sharp knife cut a deep cross in it, letting the cuts go over the sides of the bread. Prick with a knife at four angles which, according to Irish folklore, is to let the fairies out!
6. Bake in the oven for five minutes, then reduce the temperature to 180C/350F/Gas 4 for a further 25-30 minutes or until cooked. If in doubt, tap the bottom of the bread. If it is cooked, it will sound hollow. Cool on a wire rack.
7. Serve freshly baked, cut into thick slices and smeared with butter and homemade jam.

Variations
Spotted Dog: This is called railway cake in some parts of Ireland: 'a currant for each station'.
Follow the master recipe, adding 110g/4oz sultanas to the dry ingredients. Serve with butter and raspberry jam. It's also delicious eaten with cheese.

White soda bread with herbs: Follow the master recipe, adding 1-2 tablespoons freshly chopped herbs (rosemary, sage, thyme, chives, parsley or lemon balm) to the dry ingredients.

White soda bread with cumin: Follow the master recipe, adding 1-2 tablespoons freshly roasted cumin seeds to the flour.

Seedy bread: If you like caraway seeds, this variation is a must and is delicious served for afternoon tea. Follow the master recipe, adding one tablespoon sugar and 2-3 teaspoons caraway seeds to the dry ingredients.

NB: This soda bread is best served the day it is made. However, it tastes lovely toasted the next day. If there is any bread left over, whiz it in a food processor and keep the gluten-free breadcrumbs in the freezer for future use.

You can also cut this into individual biscuits/scones. We LOVE them left over to the next day because you can cut them in half, and fry them in butter to have with eggs!!!

thanks for the recipes Laura, just the other day i was in the food store looking at high fiber breads and totally pondered, "Man, i wish i had some good recipes for gluten free breads..."

These aren't bread recipes, but things we have tried in an effort to expand and enhance our gluten free diet so that we don't feel so deprived.

Let's start with one of my favorites, a baked courgette and rosemary risotto that is served with a tomato fondue.

12 ozs (350 g) rice

Cook the rice in a large pan of boiling, salted water for 8 minutes and then drain. Set aside.

Grate 12 oz (350g) zucchini (courgette) coarsely.

In a large, heavy saucepan, place 5 TBSP olive oil and 10 oz (275 g) finely chopped onions and two or three finely chopped garlic cloves. Turn the heat to medium low (or lower) so as to cook the onions softly until they are transparent, but not browned.

Add the courgettes and cook for five minutes.

Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.

Transfer this mixture to a large mixing bowl.

Add 3 beaten eggs, the rice, and 4 TBSP heavy cream. Mix.

Then add: 2 or 3 TBSP of fresh, chopped rosemary
1/4 teaspoon of freshly grated nutmeg

Mix again.

Pour the entire mixture into a casserole dish and top with 6 oz (175g) cheese. Gruyere or mozzarella is good.

Bake in the oven for about 40 minutes at 350 F/180C. Surface should be golden brown.

You can also bake it in a springform pan and turn it out like a cake and serve it as slices.

This should be served with the tomato fondue which is made as follows:

Tomato Fondue:

Heat 2 TBSP olive oil in a heavy cast iron or stainless steel saucepan.
Add 4 oz (110g) onions sliced in circles
2 cloves garlic crushed
Sweat until onions are transparent but not browned

Next add either 2 lbs (900g) very ripe, fresh, peeled, tomatoes cut in chunks or two small cans, or one large can, of crushed tomatoes.

Add salt, pepper and sugar to taste. You will need extra sugar for canned tomatoes because they tend to be very acid.

Add:
1 TBSP chopped, fresh basil
1 TBSP chopped parsley

If using fresh tomatoes, cook covered over gentle heat for 10 minutes. If using canned tomatoes, after cooking covered for 10 minutes, remove lid and continue to cook for another ten minutes.

Add about 1/4 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar at the end.

Pour out into a serving dish and place a nice dollop on the courgette risotto.

DIVINE!

Gluten Free Bagels

Beat together 1 egg and 1 cup of warm water.

Add:

1 cup rice flour
1 cup tapioca flour
1 cup corn flour
1/2 cup potato flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
1 packet dry yeast

mix thoroughly.

Turn the dough out onto a rice flour dusted surface. Dust your hands with flour.

Form 8 or 9 equal sized balls. Push a finger through each to make a hole and shape into rings.

Place on a floured cookie sheet and cover with oiled plastic film. Leave to rise until doubled in sized.

When they are almost risen, prepare a pot of water; bring to the boil. Using a spatula, place three bagels at a time in the boiling water and boil for five minutes. Turn over once during this time.

Remove from water with a slotted spoon and place on oiled baking sheet.

Beat an egg yolk with 2 TBSP of water and brush the bagels with this.

Place in preheated hot oven - 200C/ 400 F. Bake for about 30 minutes until golden, brushing twice more with egg glaze.

Sour Cream White Cake
Cream together:

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sour cream
2 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup butter milk (remember you can make butter milk with regular milk and a bit of vinegar)

Add 3 eggs and 3 additional egg whites.
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp almond extract (or lemon or orange)

Mix together in a separate bowl:

1 cup rice flour
1 cup tapioca flour
1 cup potato flour
1 rounded tsp guar gum / xanthan gum
1/2 rounded tsp baking soda

Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter, eggs, sugar mixture. Beat until well mixed.

Pour the batter into either a bundt pan that has been well buttered or into two regular cake pans.

If in bundt pan, bake at 300 F / 125 C for approx 1 hour and 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. If in smaller cake pans, about 20 to 30 minutes.

You can ice the cake or serve it with fruit or other sauce topping.

Our favorite way to have this cake is one of my own inventions.

Trifle

Bake the above cake in three layers. Set aside to cool.

Make a big pot of pudding. I either make banana pudding or the filling for two key lime pies. If banana pudding, the thickening agent is either tapioca or cornstarch.

Then, I put the first layer of the cake in a large serving bowl and spoon on about 1/3 of the pudding. Next cake layer, next 1/3 of the pudding. Final cake layer, final 1/3 of the pudding. Top with a quantity of whipped cream.

Refrigerate until pudding is solidly set.

You can invent your own variations on this recipe. I'm going to try it with an orange pudding, a strawberry variation, and maybe even blueberries or blackberries though I'm not sure how I'll deal with the color. Maybe I'll just make a vanilla pudding and spoon in dollops of blackberry or blueberry preserves.

Since I have been unable to find what I consider a good breakfast sausage anywhere in France, I decided to make my own. We purchased a meat grinder and I was off! This led to some really interesting inventions.

Breakfast Sausage

5 pounds of ground pork (shoulder will do nicely)
2 1/2 TBSP salt
2 1/2 tsp rubbed sage
1 1/2 tsp summer savory (can anybody tell me what this is called in French? I'm almost out!)
1/2 tsp and 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
1 1/2 tsp marjoram
1 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
4 TBSP brown sugar
2 1/2 tsp dried red pepper flakes

Combine all ingredients well. You can run it back through the meat grinder again to thoroughly mix everything.

Shape into balls about 2 in in diameter. Place each ball in a small plastic baggy. Flatten into patty and fold bag over just to close lightly. Stack bags in freezer. Take out as many as you want at a time to cook.

ADDED MUCH LATER: Do NOT use the red pepper flakes. Leave out the sugar also. In fact, I have a whole new recipe that I use that is much better, hang on, I'll get it posted.

Lamb Burgers with tsatsiki

Again, using the meat grinder, grind up 5 pounds of lamb shoulder. (I get it whole and bone it and cube it before putting through the grinder. Remove all but the very soft fat.)

Add 4 tsp ground coriander
4 tsp ground cumin
1 1/2 TBSP salt
2 tsp freshly ground black pepper.

Mix thoroughly. Form into balls, put balls in freezer bags and flatten into patties, freeze (or cook whatever you want and freeze the rest.)

This is best served with Tsatsiki.

Tsatsiki

Two cucumbers peeled and grated or diced very small. (I grate them with a large hole grater.) Put in a sieve, sprinkle with salt and allow to drain for about 30 minutes. Press now and again to encourage the draining of the water.

Put the cucumber into a bowl and mix with:

4 cloves crushed garlic
1 1/2 pint of plain yogurt (we use brebis, or sheep's milk yogurt)
6 TBSP whipping cream
2 TBSP freshly chopped mint
1 tsp white wine vinegar or cider vinegar
About a TBSP of sugar (more or less) to taste
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Serve with the Lamb Burgers.

Shrimp Pasta Salad

This is a real favorite in our house! You can divide the recipe in half for smaller families.

4 cups gluten free rice elbow macaroni.

1 pound (1/2 kilo) cooked salad shrimp

2 cups thinly sliced celery with a bit of the celery leaves chopped(not too much)

1/2 cup chopped onion

1 clove garlic crushed

Salt and pepper to taste.

Dress with:

1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream or yogurt

Zuppa Toscana

In a large pot place enough olive oil to cover the bottom.

Add:

Two medium onions, chopped

Saute gently until transparent.

Add:

4 cups white beans already cooked
3 chopped celery stalks
5 medium carrots diced
1 medium Savoy cabbage cut into small pieces or two cups of cooked collard greens (that's what I prefer).
2 medium leeks, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
4 gluten free, MSG free, bouillon cubes (vegetable, beef or chicken)
2 TBSP fresh chopped basil

Add enough water to cover the ingredients and a bit more.

Simmer on low heat for about 45 minutes. If the water gets low, add hot water.

Add a handful of fresh, chopped parsley and simmer for ten more minutes.

Salt and pepper to taste.

You can vary the proportion of vegetables to beans according to preference.

Tomato Salad

6 Ripe tomatoes
1 1/2 cup crumbled Feta cheese

Slice the tomatoes and arrange in a bowl.

Sprinkle the Feta over the tomatoes.

Sprinkle 2 TBSP oregano over the tomatoes and Feta cheese.

Dressing:

1/2 cup olive oil
3 TBSP white wine vinegar (or cider vinegar)
2 cloves minced garlic
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dijon mustard
couple dashes of pepper (or more, to taste)

Mix dressing thoroughly and drizzle over the tomatoes and feta.

Back
Top Bottom