Good Website for Free Books

The only answer I can give to that post is to say, that I did not say one way or another exactly what I believed. You are assuming that I believe a certain thing. That is your assumption and you are welcome to it.

Couple of good points, folks. Thanks. For certain, survival as a writer or a publisher is tough enough without any revenue losses.

These other two other trends seem related:

1) International, cheap textbooks. I take high-tech classes at University. I pay $120 for a textbook that my classmates paid $50 for from a Chinese website. Is my price higher due to the fact that the textbook company is experiencing less demand for their product because it is being printed abroad?

2) The trend for paid science. Once upon a time, free technical papers rained down on the internet. Now many are $30-150 bucks per paper, and as a lone researcher, you'll never make it! ('nuther good reason to be enrolled at the U!). Seems I don't like seeing research paid for by tax monies blocked from my access. And I am shouldering which cost exactly? Downloading a PDF of someone's thesis paper?

wanderer33 said:
The only answer I can give to that post is to say, that I did not say one way or another exactly what I believed. You are assuming that I believe a certain thing. That is your assumption and you are welcome to it.

Just a note that the fact that you continue to discuss it in the manner you discuss it is, most likely, what led Bobo08 to make his post. It's best to never underestimate what information comes through to the readers of your written word.

Point taken Anart. I have a habit of playing the devil's advocate. It stems from the realisation that nothing seems cut and dried when you peel the layers away. As a potential writer/victim, I am theoretically shooting myself in the foot on this one.

Potamus said:
Couple of good points, folks. Thanks. For certain, survival as a writer or a publisher is tough enough without any revenue losses.

These other two other trends seem related:

1) International, cheap textbooks. I take high-tech classes at University. I pay $120 for a textbook that my classmates paid $50 for from a Chinese website. Is my price higher due to the fact that the textbook company is experiencing less demand for their product because it is being printed abroad?

2) The trend for paid science. Once upon a time, free technical papers rained down on the internet. Now many are $30-150 bucks per paper, and as a lone researcher, you'll never make it! ('nuther good reason to be enrolled at the U!). Seems I don't like seeing research paid for by tax monies blocked from my access. And I am shouldering which cost exactly? Downloading a PDF of someone's thesis paper?

Thanks man for your advise about how to choose good textbook.

Hi eric2010, and welcome --

We ask that all new members make an introductory post in the Newbies section -- something about yourself and how you found this forum.

Hi,

What I just did is making the list of stolen books which I am going to buy soon. That is thanks to inspiration from thish topic.
What I did more is deletion of all "not paid" music and e-books.

Just before reading this topic I was trying to "download" :) some materials related to the course I was going to attend but got ill. And I thought that this will be ok becasue I have already paid for that. But than I thought that maybe I am greedy and this is not the same.

Other thing which comes to my mind now is:
- ok I may pay for the book, but anyway is that enough? How to value such a thing?
How to establish price for my inspiration, for the light, for new experience, for discovery???
Maybe some inspiration is changing life completely and than what? It is funny a bit huh?

Or leaving books aside, what about my language, my knowledge given by parents, school, colleagues, family?
How to give back to the world what I have received?

I have a kid and that is one who may be given something from me. But is that enough?

What about gifts from other people like saving life by doctors in hospital? I had few months ago appendictis and this could have been the end if not healthcare system.

How to give back?
But give back wisely.

Mikel said:
How to give back to the world what I have received?

That's a fantastic question. If more people asked it, our world would not be where it is today.

Yeah, excellent questions, Mikel! It is true that the equation always seems unbalanced, isn't it?

Monetary "energy" to pay back is one way, but that is not even enough in most cases. Another way is to really appreciate it, and share the information with others, recommend it, etc. Whatever helps you grow can help others grow too.

The more you get, the more you can give. It should always be a flowing kind of energy. We shouldn't take just for ourselves, but to apply the knowledge we receive so that we can give it to others who are also seeking it. Being thankful and never forgetting how lucky we are is a good reminder of how much we can do to "pay back".

But we are always in debt with the Universe, I'm afraid. It is ridiculous when you think that most people believe the Universe owes THEM! What a world...

Laura said:
psychegram said:
This website is fantastic. I found it myself about a week ago, and have been reading Mouravieff's Gnosis and Ouspensky's In Search of the Miraculous there. I'm pretty sure neither of those works are still under copyright.

Actually, I believe that both of them are still under copyright. And if you are reading Gnosis in English, it is probably Robin Amis' translation, in which case you are taking money out of the pocket of an elderly, disabled gentleman.

I also downloaded for free Mouravieff's three Gnosis books, and it is bothering the heck out of me :-[ I cannot in good conscience expect to gain from these works if obtained under false pretenses.

I have not yet actually read these books, and they are still on my hard drive. I just wrote to Praxis Institute in Chicago asking if I could donate a sum to compensate for my theft, and if not that I would immediately delete the files. The three volumes can be ordered directly from them for $90 plus shipping
_http://www.praxisinstitute.net/BOOKSHOP/gnosis_trilogy.htm

I explained that Laura had first introduced me to these works, and that downloading them for free is an assault and an unabashed theft. I apologized to them and told them I would honor their reply ...whether a donation would be sufficient, or if they would prefer I order the hard copies from them.

Here is a link to one of Laura's articles that I am working through:
Boris Mouravieff: Polar Opposites, or the Fifth Way of Love
http://www.cassiopaea.org/cass/mouravieff.htm

I have already received a reply to my email to Praxis. Here it is:

Dear Mary Jane,

What a heartening message you sent! If Gnosis is doing its work, then conscience should begin to play its part in our lives. We had hoped that this was so, but yours is the first example of it
We have forwarded your request to our person in the States who handles the shipping of Gnosis. We have instructed him to send you used copies of I, II, and II, and charge a minimum amount. Is the address you give:
Mayfield Heights, Ohio 8 complete? We don't think so, therefore ask that you forward your complete address to us, or to our shipper in the States:

PraxisBook@aol.com

We have been concerned about the prevalence of the Gnosis trilogy in the form of e-books -- but as is the case of most pirating on the internet, there's not much we can do about it. We're sure this fact alone has been responsible for the falling off of sales of this book, which was one of the wayw we stayed afloat to produce more books.

We commend your action, and hope that there will be more of your kind appearing in the world.

With our very best wishes,

Robin and Lillian Amis
Praxis Research Institute. UK

I replied with my full address, promising that I would send whatever amount they request. What a generous offer! I am very grateful.

Back
Top Bottom