Good Website for Free Books

Buddy said:
Argonaut said:
So the main things I need to watch out for are anticipating how things will come back to me, and giving JUST to receive.

It's not too hard to 'get'. You just forget about it and just give. If the STO universe has any use for you, it will move in your favor if it notices your commitment and you give things time to crank up and get rolling.

It's not that it's bad to expect good things to happen, you just adopt a long-range view and avoid the temptation to point at anything in particular and say "that's it! That's what I was waiting for." Do that and you stop the flow and have to start all over.

Hope that doesn't sound too harsh. This is the way it works for me and seems consistent with what the C's have said. :)

Not harsh at all. I figured I was probably over-thinking it... I mean, it was the C's who mentioned the stuff about energy exchange and becoming blocked, and why would they provide that info if it made STO giving more difficult? But I wasn't grokking the details. So you've really helped clear this up for me, thanks. :)

Ebook Archives

Hi Vulcan, you seem to know everything there is to know about rules and procedures.

I often find FREE ebook versions of out of print material of interest and also FREE ebook archives which contain many relevant books.

Though many here can easily afford to use Amazon to buy books, some of us, me included, are too poor to do that on a regular basis.

I would rather not stay in a state of ignorance because i can't afford to read what I find significant.

I know of a community FREE Ebook lending archive which has many books of interest and is growing all the time. As far as I can figure it is completely above board
as it contains a disclaimer that seems legal. Its a lending library. Users are to delete the ebooks after reading.

The site is kept running by user donation.

It may have already been mentioned, although I haven't seen it mentioned.

I am posting the link here for you to look at. If you don't like the idea of people accessing free material, please delete this post.

Mod's note: Edited to remove the link since at least some of the books are under copyright.

Re: Ebook Archives

Hi wanderer33,

We've discussed this issue of free ebooks before. Here is one discussion about it. Here is another. We did have a library at one stage but due do poor response as well as members not returning the books, the library was discontinued.

There will eventually be a library for hard to acquire or out of print books. However that will only be available to for members of the FOTCM. Whether it will be available to members of this forum is still not discussed nor decided yet. :)

I'm a little more dubious (as an aspiring writer myself). This site is giving away books still under copyright according to what I know, and many sites such as this: http://www.copyright.cornell.edu/resources/publicdomain.cfm

Take for example the Books by Dick Francis who passed away Feb 14, 2010. His books are still under copyright, so how can this site not be a copyright violation unless they have express written permission from the author? The books I looked at have their copyright pages skipped in these scans. Are we not robbing these writers of revenue that is rightfully theirs? I'm not accusing anyone of anything, I just want to understand. Thanks.

EDIT: Ok Vulcan, I followed those links and found my own post there. :lol: Well, sorry for any re-hashing.

Right I read those links. Thanks Vulcan.

I was interested in what Anart had to say and they were valid points.

"my ebooks. My personal backups.
But since you've dropped by, I'm happy to lend them to you.
Naturally you'll delete these books when you've finished - your way of returning them."

But if, as in the disclaimer posted above, one was to read and delete the ebooks, wouldn't this be the same as borrowing a friend's book and returning it?
Should one never borrow books off friend's or colleagues because isn't that the same thing? At university Professors borrowed books off me and vice verse. They were well aware of the copyright laws or not? I'm a little confused on this one.

I would be interested to hear the opinion of others on the point that....in the film "Meetings with Remarkable Men", Gurdjieff broke into a monk's chest and stole an image of a map.

Any views on this?

wanderer33 said:
But if, as in the disclaimer posted above, one was to read and delete the ebooks, wouldn't this be the same as borrowing a friend's book and returning it?
Should one never borrow books off friend's or colleagues because isn't that the same thing? At university Professors borrowed books off me and vice verse. They were well aware of the copyright laws or not? I'm a little confused on this one.

Hi wanderer33, I think the important thing to remember, as always, is the Law of Three. There is right, there is wrong and there is the specific situation that determines which is which.

Across the board, we advocate honoring copyrights and the energetic balance that results in actually paying an author for their work. When this is not possible, a person must work in other ways to balance the energy of their benefit from what they read. Basically, there is no free lunch and creating energetic imbalances by taking and never giving back is to ones detriment in the long run. So, it's not as black and white as the questions you've posed above - it is merely that, as a standard understanding, we do not ever encourage the violation of copyrights. fwiw.

wanderer33 said:
I would be interested to hear the opinion of others on the point that....in the film "Meetings with Remarkable Men", Gurdjieff broke into a monk's chest and stole an image of a map.

Any views on this?

Their is more to that story. You should go back and re-read the book and not use the film as a reference.

Libraries and friends have one copy of a book. This guy is turning one copy into potentially millions.

I was no Russian prince to pay two hundred pounds for making a copy, yet this map was perhaps no less necessary to me than to him. I therefore decided, then and there, that at any cost I must have a copy, and at once began to think how it could be obtained....I went stealthily into his room to fit a key to his heirloom chest. The first time I was not able to note all the details of the key, and it was not until the third attempt, after numerous filings, that I succeeded in making one fit....I got into his room again and took the parchment from the chest. I took it to our room and throughout the night Pogossian and I traced all the details of the map, after having covered it with oiled paper. The next day I put the parchment back in its place....An eagerness which was not to be restrained arose in me to reach at any cost and without delay the places where, with the aid of this treasure, I could at last appease that desire for knowledge which during the past two or three years had given me no rest, gnawing me within like a worm. this perhaps Justifiable, but nevertheless—whatever way one regards it—culpable treatment of the hospitality of the Armenian priest, I talked things over with my still half-sick comrade Pogossian.
"Meetings with Remarkable Men" Gurdjieff

Heimdallr:I think that the film aligns quite well with the book. There is no further reference within the book to 'the Armenian priest' after this passage of text. I accept the fact that if he had not done this, then likely his whole life would have changed and we would never have heard of Gurdjieff. This is a difficult problem, and the implication is that the future mitigates the past.

My feeling about the parchment is that the priest did not know of the value of the map he held (Gurdjieff recognized immediately it was of pre-sand Egypt, something he had been looking for a great while), and while G did not have 200 pounds to purchase a copy, is it really evil to do what he did, to stealthily make a copy for himself and then put the parchment back in its chest? I do not think so, and the implication made in your initial post about this subject suggests that you consider what he did to possibly be an "evil deed." But I couldn't disagree more with that idea.

Potamus, a library or friend may lend a copy of a book a million times, though it is hardly likely. This is definitely not an easily answered question.

Anart, thanks for responding. I don't think it is a black and white issue. I think that the case of Gurdjieff's theft reveals some deeper implications. I can only speak for myself. If my own actions in the future give something back of worth to humanity then it would be possible to say that an appropriate balance was achieved. That being said, it also implies that one becomes beholden to achieve that balance.

Heimdallr, that was not my intended implication. If those are your 'feelings', then so be it. I'll let the quoted text speak for itself.

wanderer33 said:
Heimdallr, that was not my intended implication. If those are your 'feelings', then so be it. I'll let the quoted text speak for itself.

OK, I apologize for having misinterpreted your post wanderer33. If you were just offering the story up as an example to stimulate discussion related to the thread topic, then I think for the most part my last comment still stands aside from my incorrect perception that you were implying G's act of taking the parchment was bad. When it comes to very difficult to find text or books that have been suppressed by the PTB, then we have to re-evaluate our stance on sharing books freely. Like you said, it is not a black and white situation. In the case of Gurdjieff, the parchment was used to benefit more than just himself in the end. In the same vein, the books of John Keel have been shared here because of their value and the fact that his work has been hidden from the vast majority of the world, despite its high signal and quality. Does that mean that we all should go and download In Search of the Miraculous now? Obviously not, since it's readily available through most outlets.

Not so sure either wanderer33. Library and friend loans are covered under "Fair Use" I think. But creating more copies is expressly forbidden.

Back
Top Bottom