Goodbye, Ernie

Approaching Infinity

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
My mom called last night to let me know she had to put our dog, Ernie, down. She had just visited me for three days and had been back home for a few days. When she woke up yesterday, Ernie was lying on the floor and couldn't move. His eyes, the whites of which are usually completely red (genetic thing) were totally white and his gums were very pale. His belly was also very sloshy. She got the neighbours to help carry him into the car and took him to the emergency vet. They ran some tests and told my mom it looked like either his liver or spleen had ruptured from a tumor and he had massive internal bleeding. Told her that with surgery and chemo he might have lived another 3 months to a year and would've cost $6000+. She and my Dad agreed they did not want to put him through that so made the difficult decision to have him put down. We all really loved him, especially my mom, so it's a very sad time.

A bit about Ernie. He was a golden retriever and also a therapy dog. My mom took him to old folks' homes, mental institutions, and he was about to start a program with young offenders. He had the perfect disposition for such work, because he was extremely laid back. The old people could smother him with violent hugs and he let them. He brought a lot of joy to people who needed it. He was about 9 years old. Even though he could barely move, when he was on the table and the doctor was giving him the shot, my mom was rubbing his face and his lower paw. He lifted up his other paw and put it on her arm. :cry:

Here's a picture of Ernie from a couple years ago:

IMG_2395.jpg

One of him chilling out:

300608_0110.jpg

And one of him doing his super-canine psychoanalysis: ;)

PAWSabilities-Jan26019.jpg

It was weird and unsettling for a few reasons. First, that this happened so soon after my mom had visited. Second, she had tried to reach me during the day, but this was the ONE day that we were all out of town attending a May Day festival, so she couldn't reach me. I also would've liked more tests to be done, but they weren't and what's done is done. It just came out of nowhere, no symptoms beforehand. But regardless of all that, he's gone and we all miss him...

Hi AI,

Really sorry to learn that.

My sincere condolences to you and all your family. :hug2:

Ernie was a great dog.

Thank you for sharing.

I'm sorry for your loss AI.
Ernie looked like an exceptional friend and ready for graduation.
:hug2: :hug2: :hug2:

My condolences for your family's loss, AI. :cry: He was a truly handsome and loyal friend. May he rest in peace. :hug:

I am sorry to hear about Ernie. It sounds like he was a wonderful companion for many people.
My condolences to you and your family. :cry:

Sorry for your loss AI. He sounds like he was a great 2D friend. I know these things can be really difficult. Take care. :hug2:

Sorry for your loss AI :(

He sounded like a great dog, a real gift to those who met him and shared his love :flowers:

Having lost one of my dear doggie friends last year I can understand how you feel. Each one is special and can not be replaced - only remembered. I feel the loss 'with' you.

He looks so cute! My sincere condolences! I'm sure he was a very good friend :)

Approaching Infinity said:
PAWSabilities-Jan26019.jpg

But regardless of all that, he's gone and we all miss him...

He was a beautiful baby, and gave a lifetime of love. I'm so sorry he's gone.
{{{{{{{AI}}}}}}}

Ernie was a lovely dog, really calm and friendly. He was a "leaner". He'd just come up and gently settle against you with this big warm body. It was very comforting. We'll all miss him. :(

Very sorry for your loss, AI. I can tell he was a sweetheart just looking at his pics. Here's to both you and Ernie.

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss AI, it's never easy to say goodbye to our 2D friends. :cry:

Thanks for sharing your story and the wonderful pictures. What a cutie! :hug2: :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom