Grand Delusions and Fake News

Neil said:
So what's the difference between a shaman and a schizophrenic? The shaman seems to be able to continually run some kind of conscious feedback loop during his inspirational/ecstatic journey, while the schizophrenic is just totally swept up by the experience and the system 2 is too weak to integrate it into something meaningful. Thus a lot of the paranormal realities which we know to be real as much as the mundane are relayed to psychologists by crazy people. That might partially explain some of the bias on the test.

The moral of the story is that people who might be good transceivers for higher density impressions often fail because their system 2 is too weak. I think this is territory that was covered in a lot more detail in the Thinking Fast and Slow thread or one of the spinoff threads. For me, this study had a rather large bucket of mud to sift through in order to find the nugget, but when I remove the materialist bias and distill it down to its fundamental essence, that's what I get out of it.

And that is brilliant!

One might even wonder if the effort to dumb down the population, to marginalize certain types of people, to not teach good thinking skills, is deliberate.

So, working on frontal cortex development is extremely important for psychic development, for perspicacity and discernment.

Thank you for taking the time to pull it apart, Neil and Laura. Very materialist based and conventional as has been mentioned. It didn't help that they put things in absolutes, such as phrasing every question with the word "ever" included.

Alejo mentioned the book the Gift of Fear, and the point of not devaluing system 1 over system 2. Essentially they both bring information and it is important to pay attention to both for that very reason as different situations demand different reactions. Learning more about going slow and using system 2 as I think the app is intended to can be useful, if one does not override the content of what the more intuitive system 1 brings to our awareness.

No point wondering about how the scientists of the study would respond if they read the thread on hyperdimensional politics.

Neil said:
So what's the difference between a shaman and a schizophrenic? The shaman seems to be able to continually run some kind of conscious feedback loop during his inspirational/ecstatic journey, while the schizophrenic is just totally swept up by the experience and the system 2 is too weak to integrate it into something meaningful. Thus a lot of the paranormal realities which we know to be real as much as the mundane are relayed to psychologists by crazy people. That might partially explain some of the bias on the test.

The moral of the story is that people who might be good transceivers for higher density impressions often fail because their system 2 is too weak. I think this is territory that was covered in a lot more detail in the Thinking Fast and Slow thread or one of the spinoff threads. For me, this study had a rather large bucket of mud to sift through in order to find the nugget, but when I remove the materialist bias and distill it down to its fundamental essence, that's what I get out of it.

We can say the same about science. Nowadays a lot of scientists are purely in system 2, ignoring the "damned data" that doesn't fit into their calculations or what their "discipline" from years of rote study of data to get a degree gives them. Their system 1 takes the role of holding onto the status quo, filtering out anything that doesn't fit in their experience.

Meanwhile, the inventors/explorers, like Tesla, had some education, but also a "feeling" (system 1) of things that were out there but not yet discovered. Opposite of the current day scientists and their push for status quo, their system 1 gave clues or BS alarms about things that allowed them to get off the existing tracks.
Through experimentation, some things were discovered that ended up being better than the established standards.

Back
Top Bottom