Grass-fed food directory

Gawan said:
FWIW I found a woolly-pig farm in Germany with great prices imo. According to the page they are not fed with gluten: grass, pumpkin, acorns and non modified corn.

_http://www.mangalitzawollschwein.de/fleischpreise-versand/preise-wollschwein/

The price for 1kg wolly-porkbelly is 7,50 € which is pretty low and should contain much fat, but I like to ask them. The shipping costs are high, but considering that it must be cooled and transported over a longer distance it is normal and in total for 10kg meat ~20€. And the last butchering was at the end of August.

I like to order maybe about 4kg in the next days, well if possible and available.

But as I researched a bit about meat, I think it is important, what for example Lierre Keith wrote in her book, to get into contact to local organic-meat-farmers and maybe hunters as well.

Hi Gawan,

Were you able to order these 4 kilos? And does the pork belly contain a lot of fat?
I speak German, but it is not terribly good and writing e-mails in German is still a bit of a hassle. ;)

I am actually thinking of asking family members and neighbours if they are interested in purchasing some meat so that we can share the costs.

Mariama said:
And does the pork belly contain a lot of fat?

Yes, bacon is made from pork belly so good fat content.
I nowadays just get a slab of pork belly, brine it and bake it at low temperature in the oven so that the meat part is nice and tender and the fat just falls off.
Going this way is cheaper than buying bacon.

Mariama said:
Gawan said:
FWIW I found a woolly-pig farm in Germany with great prices imo. According to the page they are not fed with gluten: grass, pumpkin, acorns and non modified corn.

_http://www.mangalitzawollschwein.de/fleischpreise-versand/preise-wollschwein/

The price for 1kg wolly-porkbelly is 7,50 € which is pretty low and should contain much fat, but I like to ask them. The shipping costs are high, but considering that it must be cooled and transported over a longer distance it is normal and in total for 10kg meat ~20€. And the last butchering was at the end of August.

I like to order maybe about 4kg in the next days, well if possible and available.

But as I researched a bit about meat, I think it is important, what for example Lierre Keith wrote in her book, to get into contact to local organic-meat-farmers and maybe hunters as well.

Hi Gawan,

Were you able to order these 4 kilos? And does the pork belly contain a lot of fat?
I speak German, but it is not terribly good and writing e-mails in German is still a bit of a hassle. ;)

I am actually thinking of asking family members and neighbours if they are interested in purchasing some meat so that we can share the costs.

Oh sorry, I read your answer only now. I did refrain from buying it cause of money then.

And as domi wrote already general pork belly contains a lot of fat.

Yes, pork belly is very fatty. But one thing you should be wary of is that they are also fed corn in the above description.

SeekinTruth said:
Yes, pork belly is very fatty. But one thing you should be wary of is that they are also fed corn in the above description.

Hi SeekinTruth
I thought the corn will be the natural food for pork if it is free to run around, same as turnip for example?

Kaigen said:
SeekinTruth said:

Hi SeekinTruth
I thought the corn will be the natural food for pork if it is free to run around, same as turnip for example?

Unless they were running through a corn field, why would feeding corn be a natural thing? In the wild, there aren't many corn fields. Pigs generally eat acorns, grass, grubs, bugs, berries (when in season), leaves, etc. Whatever grows in the wild.

My wife and I went to our local public market last weekend. We were both very surprised to see new meat vendors. As of a year ago there were two natural meat vendors, now there are eight. We found grass fed lamb and Scottish black and white cows that were also totally grass fed. We are very lucky to live in an area of the US that has the number one public market in the country. We get our butter there as well Amish made butter. The late summer and fall are the best times as we get all of the locally grown fruits and veggies.If anyone gets to the Rochester New York area check out this market.

I was looking for grass fed meat in Poland and have not found yet much. Much.... Well I have found one farm but was sending emails twice to the lady leading this business and had no reply. Was asking if the cattle is fed only with grass or is she using also grains form example during the winter. ??? In telephone conversation she said that she is feeding her cattle with grass only but she had not confirmed it in writing so I am not sure.

http://www.gutshof-dragefeld.de/polski/kontakt/.htm - this is website. It is near Krzyz in Wielkopolska so maybe someone leaving near there (if there is anyone here leaving close to that area) may check how it looks like?

Looks like awareness in Poland about what is grass-fed is much behind UK, US, NL and other countries where threat from food industry is probably higher. But the same thing is going on in Poland. When I am entering supermarket and look for food I am scared looking at labels.

Guys from Poland! Have You found anything really grass-fed or free-ranged? Please share if You have any info.

Where one can buy grass fed meat in France? (I am going there soon)?

Mikel said:
Guys from Poland! Have You found anything really grass-fed or free-ranged? Please share if You have any info.

_http://www.rolmies.pl/index.html

Hi Lux. Thank You for reply. Dziękuję.

I was using rolmies before buying quite a lot of fat there. However I do not know them well. They label themselves as ecological but how ecological they really are?

After Your reply I have send them email asking for reply for following questions:

1. Whether their cattle is grass fed or they use anyway grain
2. Do they use growth hormone
3. Do they treat feeding areas with some chemicals
4. Whether free ranged pork is available from their farms

Do You think about other question we may ask more in future?

Let us see what will they reply.

People from Poland. Is rolmies the only one worth mentioning. Please reply. If You read this post and know anything about good grass fed meat please share.

:) hi Mikel, you could check this one out too. Looks good to me, but I can't say anything about the price.
Is it to expensive or cheap? Let me know.
http://www.dziczyzna.info.pl/oferta.htm
Mikel good luck with your search! :cool:

:) as stated above by Gawan 1Kg porkbelly € 7,50 (Mangalista)
The polish wild boar porkbelly is 1Kg for € 5. I think it is very cheap.

Do You know how the term "grass fed" is used in France?

I am currently here and trying to find good meat shops but it is a challenge with french language.

Help please.

I mean: what shall I put into search engine to obtain best result in searching grass fed meat in France?

Back
Top Bottom